nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
Roy Kaye

Southampton, UK
39 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Roy Kaye Silver Member Nikonian since 25th Apr 2010
Wed 14-Mar-12 11:54 AM

Hi, I've posted a couple of questions, as I currently use view/nx2 working only in NEFS, but am about to change over from pc to imac, and am trying to decide what to do.

I would like to stay with NEFs (apart from changing to TIFF/JPG where required for printing/web), but it seems that, due to incompatibilty of NEF format with other programs (I can't even use latest color efex with lion o/s, yet anyway) that I will, it seems, have to convert from NEF (after required edits in nx2) to TIFF so I can then continue to to further edits and other program(s)that don't support NEF, which is maybe most (all?)

q1) is TIFF really (or mostly) lossless
q2) I see TIFFs are big - as there a recommended compression that will not affect file, or at least not too much
q3) If I work on a TIFF after NEF, will NEF edits still be read by the other program(s) - including metadata, and could I, if required, edit the TIFF in other programs(s) without degrading the TIFF
q4) and could I then re-edit in NEF again at a later date, or will the TIFF have negated this option
q5) is it a good idea to save NEFs/TIFFs in separate folders, so I have the original NEF if required at a future date
q6)I read somewhere that 'to work on an image it must be raw, not TIFF' so am worried about using TIFFs - should I be
q7) Would I just be better off changing to something like Apple Aperture, and just working in TIFF from scratch (and using NIK plugins etc)

Sorry about all the questions, but I've searched for this info a lot, but can't really understand if I would be safe to just work in TIFFs or TIFFs following NEF editing - I'm not sure at all of downsides - would I be better off just waiting (hoping) that color efex and other programs will eventually work with NEFs - a long wait?

Thanks for any help you can be

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Is there life after NEF?

G