Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #8459
View in linear mode

Subject: "View NX, other raw formats?" Previous topic | Next topic
jorfsphotos Registered since 11th Mar 2012Sun 11-Mar-12 06:10 PM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"View NX, other raw formats?"

US

I am traveling with my little Dell Mini and have been frustrated with PSE8 and Picasa for what I want to do - download raw images; look through them and trash the obvious losers; do a little editing and conversion of a few to put up on flickr, FB, email; move them to other storage/backup devices; bring them home and do the full editing work on my usual computer with my usual software (which will be LR4 when I get home and install the upgrade).

I used View NX when I first got my Nikon for a short period of time (over 2 years ago) and I recall that ViewNX can do these tasks, right?

My main question is, I shoot raw on my Nikon but also use a Panasonic LX5 and my husband has a little Canon P&S (jpgs). Can I access and convert my RW2 files from the LX5 on ViewNX?

Thanks.

(I've looked around on this forum a bunch but my first time posting.)

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: View NX, other raw formats?
four eighty sparky Silver Member
11th Mar 2012
Covey22 Moderator
11th Mar 2012
jorfsphotos
11th Mar 2012
Covey22 Moderator
11th Mar 2012
mklass Platinum Member
11th Mar 2012
jorfsphotos
12th Mar 2012
robsb Platinum Member
13th Mar 2012

four eighty sparky Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Apr 2011Sun 11-Mar-12 06:15 PM
1456 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: View NX, other raw formats?"
In response to Reply # 0

US

NX2 only works with Nikon-camera-created .NEFs.

My toys: A pair of gripped D600s, gripped D7100, Sigma 8mm circular fisheye, Sigma 15mm full-frame fisheye, Tokina 17/3.5 SL, 17-35 2.8D, 24-85 G, 24-120/4G, 28-200 D, 50/1.8D, 50/1.8G, 50/1.8E, 70-200 2.8 G VRII, 70-300G, 105/2.8D Micro, Tamron 150-600, 500 f/8 Reflex: Sigma 600mm, Celestron 2,000mm: PB-6 bellows, Nikon 1.4 and 1.7x TCs, auto macro tube set: SB600: Manfrotto 055XB/804RC2/390RC2 & 560B-1: Gossen Starlite: Easy-Up AP1500: 40' WonderPole

Visit my website.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Covey22 Moderator Expert in various fields including aviation photography Awarded for his contributions to the Resources and The Nikonian eZine Charter MemberSun 11-Mar-12 06:39 PM
10577 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: View NX, other raw formats?"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Lightroom or a newer version of Photoshop Elements would suit you better given the variety of cameras you have. You'd have a common software solution for RAW, and more than suitable editing tools for JPEGS/TIFFS and even short movie clips.

"Toodle-loo from Covey22!"

-Armando
Nikonians Team
Nikonians News - Fresh Everyday!

The Covey Blog!

My Plan:

Get out of the car.
Get closer to the subject.
Pick the right mid-tone this time.

See My Nikonians Gallery

jorfsphotos Registered since 11th Mar 2012Sun 11-Mar-12 11:11 PM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: View NX, other raw formats?"
In response to Reply # 2
Sun 11-Mar-12 11:12 PM by jorfsphotos

US

I have LR on my "real" computer. This is just a fix for while traveling. Does your reply say that I cannot use ViewNX for my LX5?
Thanks

Oops. Didn't see the other reply...

I guess I'll just muddle through with the PSE on the mini. It's a short trip.

Covey22 Moderator Expert in various fields including aviation photography Awarded for his contributions to the Resources and The Nikonian eZine Charter MemberSun 11-Mar-12 11:25 PM
10577 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: View NX, other raw formats?"
In response to Reply # 3

US

You could shoot RAW + JPEG for now and see the JPEG dumps on the Dell Mini - they're effectively the RAW file with the in-camera settings applied....

"Toodle-loo from Covey22!"

-Armando
Nikonians Team
Nikonians News - Fresh Everyday!

The Covey Blog!

My Plan:

Get out of the car.
Get closer to the subject.
Pick the right mid-tone this time.

See My Nikonians Gallery

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Sun 11-Mar-12 11:47 PM
5869 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: View NX, other raw formats?"
In response to Reply # 0

Tacoma, US

Except for doing any editing other than cropping, Photo Mechanic might do the trick for you. It is a very fast, lightweight (computer resource wise) browser that reads almost all camera file formats. You can quickly tag, mark, rate and cull your images. It will convert raw to jpg and you can upload to various photo hosting sites. If you want to edit in PSE, you can launch straight from PM.

I've been using it for years now and don't know what I'd do without it. You can download a trial at http://www.camerabits.com

Mick
www.mickklassphoto.com
or
Visit my nikonians gallery

jorfsphotos Registered since 11th Mar 2012Mon 12-Mar-12 12:00 AM
#6. "RE: View NX, other raw formats?"
In response to Reply # 5

US

Oooooooooo! Mick! I lust over Photo Mechanic. Free trial might just fit the bill. Of course, I could find the "requirement" to own it! Great idea!

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Tue 13-Mar-12 04:43 AM
12592 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#7. "RE: View NX, other raw formats?"
In response to Reply # 6

San Jose, US

You might also try XnView and it is FREE!

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

"Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the
camera"

Retirement is a gift of time - Don't waste it!

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #8459 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.