Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #8428
View in linear mode

Subject: "CAPTURENX2/VIEWNX2 ON AN iPad" Previous topic | Next topic
billD80 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007Thu 08-Mar-12 05:07 PM
2141 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"CAPTURENX2/VIEWNX2 ON AN iPad"

US

I will be travelling overseas in the summer, and would like a computer backup for storing and viewing images taken. I COULD get a new netbook and load up my copies of ViewNX2 or Capture NX2.

But I am also thinking of a new iPad. Is an iPad as workable for storing NEFs and using View or Capture?

Thanks for your help.

www.billkeane.zenfolio.com

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: CAPTURENX2/VIEWNX2 ON AN iPad
Covey22 Moderator
08th Mar 2012
gkaiseril Gold Member
08th Mar 2012
Pete Wilson Gold Member
08th Mar 2012
billD80 Silver Member
09th Mar 2012
jacsr Silver Member
08th Mar 2012
billD80 Silver Member
08th Mar 2012
leebaylin Silver Member
09th Mar 2012
billD80 Silver Member
09th Mar 2012
neil_jo Silver Member
09th Mar 2012
leebaylin Silver Member
10th Mar 2012
dgs2
12th Mar 2012
shotglass Gold Member
11th Mar 2012

Covey22 Moderator Expert in various fields including aviation photography Awarded for his contributions to the Resources and The Nikonian eZine Charter MemberThu 08-Mar-12 06:00 PM
10577 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: CAPTURENX2/VIEWNX2 ON AN iPad"
In response to Reply # 0

US

View and Capture do not work on an iPad. There is no stated direction that they will port those programs to the platform either. They'd have to start using some serious coding mojo to make it work on a tablet computer, given how much those two programs are resource hogs.

Same story with the Netbook. I have yet to see a Netbook with the gazongas to be able to adequately run CNX/CNX2. Doesn't mean it can't be done, but to semi-paraphrase Thomas Hobbes, it will NOT be quick and short, but it WILL BE nasty and brutish an experience.

Crazy idea - if you're comfortable with it:

1. Connect to your home PC that does have VNX and CNX and use a Remote PC control tool on it that has an iPad equivalent client. This would mean opening some ports on your home router, etc. but it's doable even for folks who aren't necessarily PC-savvy.
2. Find a way to load your NEFs from wherever you are - take a card reader with you, go to an Internet cafe, upload your NEFs to say, a paid file storage site.
3. Controlling your home PC from the iPad, you can then get the files from the storage site, put them back down on your local storage to the home PC and start using VNX and CNX2 from there.
4. This all assumes you have a decent connection to the 'Net from the tablet (i.e., Wifi from your hotel room). No guarantees this would be a good experience over 3G.

"Toodle-loo from Covey22!"

-Armando
Nikonians Team
Nikonians News - Fresh Everyday!

The Covey Blog!

My Plan:

Get out of the car.
Get closer to the subject.
Pick the right mid-tone this time.

See My Nikonians Gallery

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Thu 08-Mar-12 06:53 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: CAPTURENX2/VIEWNX2 ON AN iPad"
In response to Reply # 0

Chicago, US

The iPad has a very different CPU and man chine code than the WinTel system or Macintosh computers, so the programs will not operate on the iPad. It might not even be possible to recompile the source code to the iPad cpu without a lot of rework. I do not even think the iPad would have enough memory and storage capacity to store any significant number of NEF or Jpeg images.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

Pete Wilson Gold Member Nikonian since 27th Jun 2004Thu 08-Mar-12 10:01 PM
866 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: CAPTURENX2/VIEWNX2 ON AN iPad"
In response to Reply # 0

Lake Orion, US

For travel I use a netbook. ViewNX2 can be used to view photos but it is not satisfactory to edit them (the screens are not the best of quality nor is the color rendition that good). I like the netbook option since I also bring a portable hard drive so that I can have a copy on the netbook as well as a backup copy on the portable drive. The iPad is not really a viable option in my opinion.

Pete Wilson
Nikonian from Lake Orion, Michigan
My Nikonians gallery

Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the
camera

billD80 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007Fri 09-Mar-12 12:05 AM
2141 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: CAPTURENX2/VIEWNX2 ON AN iPad"
In response to Reply # 3

US

>For travel I use a netbook. ViewNX2 can be used to view
>photos but it is not satisfactory to edit them (the screens
>are not the best of quality nor is the color rendition that
>good). I like the netbook option since I also bring a
>portable hard drive so that I can have a copy on the netbook
>as well as a backup copy on the portable drive. The iPad is
>not really a viable option in my opinion.

Thanks! My last jaunt in 2007, I used a 17" laptop and WD passport drive. Now I think an 11" laptop and Passport wouldn't be a bad option at all....

jacsr Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Apr 2006Thu 08-Mar-12 11:17 PM
919 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: CAPTURENX2/VIEWNX2 ON AN iPad"
In response to Reply # 0

Texas City, US

Depending on the storage of the iPad you might not be far off from the cost of an 11" MAC Air.

Just a thought

Joe

billD80 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007Thu 08-Mar-12 11:56 PM
#5. "RE: CAPTURENX2/VIEWNX2 ON AN iPad"
In response to Reply # 4

US

Thanks for all the help...

I am now leaning towards a mini-laptop, as they have dual-core processors and up to 8gig RAM.

I'm not really looking to do serious PP on the road. But it still seems the netbooks are really capable, and I really do prefer a hardware keyboard.

leebaylin Silver Member Charter MemberFri 09-Mar-12 02:25 AM
825 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: CAPTURENX2/VIEWNX2 ON AN iPad"
In response to Reply # 0

Baltimore, US

January 2010 I took a month-long trip to Africa and the Middle East. Took a Acer Aspire One netbook. Upped it to 2gb of memory. ran View NX for loading, viewing, and emailing a few JPEGs and CNX2 for light editing. I had 90gb of CF cards, so I kept the original images on the cards and used the netbook HD as a backup. It worked great. Obviously not the fastest machine in the world, but feather light, and it also allowed me to run my law practice-- time and billing, legal research, client files and more-- on the road. Half the price and twice the power and capability of an IPad.

I had a camera bag with the netbook, about 30 pounds, and a few clean shirts and skivvies.

It was quite a trip. Shooting wildlife on the Serengeti one day and reviewing a contract for a client 4,000 miles away two days later at the hotel in Arusha. Two weeks later, Skyping with another client from an internet cafe in Damascus.

The netbook worked so well, I gave up my HP notebook and still use the netbook when I'm mobile and at the office and a workhorse quad-core at home for serious photo work.

Lee Baylin

billD80 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007Fri 09-Mar-12 11:54 AM
#8. "RE: CAPTURENX2/VIEWNX2 ON AN iPad"
In response to Reply # 7

US

>I had a camera bag with the netbook, about 30 pounds, and a
>few clean shirts and skivvies.
>

Thanks. I think this is where I'm headed. The laptop I used last big trip was 17", but it's dated as it is, and the mini ones are awfully capable.

neil_jo Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Aug 2007Fri 09-Mar-12 10:40 PM
1432 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: CAPTURENX2/VIEWNX2 ON AN iPad"
In response to Reply # 8

Brampton, CA

Hi Bill
I think Nik makes an APP. called Snapseed that is Ipad compatible.

Regards

Neil

leebaylin Silver Member Charter MemberSat 10-Mar-12 01:39 AM
825 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: CAPTURENX2/VIEWNX2 ON AN iPad"
In response to Reply # 9

Baltimore, US

I hear Snapseed is very good for JPEGs shot with the IPad or IPhone. The problem with using the IPad for DSLR work is getting the large files into the device. It has no usable slots or ports. If you shoot more than a gb a day in raw files, you can spend all night and a fortune in connect time transferring through the "cloud."
Then there's the 64gb limit and the cost of getting from 16gb to 64gb. Sometimes I think Apple's whole business model is based on selling flash memory at 500% profit margins to a captive audience. It's a little like buying beer at a baseball game.

While the IPad may be an elegant entertainment device, I don't see where it is of any use for a serious photographer shooting raw in the field, unless you have direct wireless from your camera body.

Lee Baylin

dgs2 Registered since 30th Sep 2004Mon 12-Mar-12 10:27 PM
710 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: CAPTURENX2/VIEWNX2 ON AN iPad"
In response to Reply # 10

San Francisco, US

Apple sells a $29 camera connector kit. This allows connection of the iPad either directly to an SD card or to a card reader or camera via USB. It works great. I'm planning to use my 64 GB iPad as backup. I used on over the Holidays along with Snapseed to view and email photos. Of course Snapseed works on the jpegs, but other options that use the RAW files are available. Since then Adobe has come out with an iPad version of Photoshop and the new iPad, just released last week has iPhoto.

You obviously are not an Apple fan, but the iPad is a lot more than an elegant entertainment device.

dgs

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

shotglass Gold Member Nikonian since 06th Feb 2010Sun 11-Mar-12 12:32 AM
104 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: CAPTURENX2/VIEWNX2 ON AN iPad"
In response to Reply # 0

Springfield Ohio, US

Just got back from a short vacation where I shot RAW and JPEG with my D300s. Downloaded the pics to my 16GB iPad 2 using the apple camera connect kit and used NIK's Snapseed to edit. Had no problems and was totally pleased with the ease of use of Snapseed. Snapseed app costs about $4.99 and is terrific. I am amazed at everything you can do with this app and how easy it is to use. Not as detailed as NX2 but sure worked for me until I got home to do the finesse work on NX2.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Please Visit My Website www.pfbimages.photoshelter.com

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #8428 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.