Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #832
View in linear mode

Subject: "View NX error on Macintosh" Previous topic | Next topic
periglenes Registered since 07th Sep 2009Mon 07-Sep-09 01:49 PM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"View NX error on Macintosh"

US

View NX 1.4.0
Mac OS 10.5.8

View NX chokes on RAW files from my D60. I can see the thumbnails, but any attempt to load the RAW file or do a Quick Adjustment results in an "unsupported file type" error. I had similar problems on Capture NX, but I have let my free trail expire, so I don't have Capture to work with now.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled the software, cleared the cache, tried reading the files directly from the SD card and copying the files to the hard drive first. Nothing works.

I have read of similar problems on PCs (on the DPReview forums). On PC's Nikon says the problem is due to the use of a 64 bit operating system and they don't support View NX in that realm.

I can open and edit these files on a Windows XP laptop with the latest version of View NX. Works fine.

Suggestions?

Thanks!

-Frank

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: View NX error on Macintosh
Freewheeler10
08th Sep 2009
periglenes
09th Sep 2009
Freewheeler10
10th Sep 2009
periglenes
17th Sep 2009
Freewheeler10
17th Sep 2009
JohnorJacquie
13th Nov 2009
JohnorJacquie
21st Nov 2009

Freewheeler10 Registered since 17th Apr 2008Tue 08-Sep-09 01:26 PM
1105 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: View NX error on Macintosh"
In response to Reply # 0

Englewood, US

Did ViewNX ever work? Did it suddenly stop? Make sure
you have the latest raw converter. ViewNX version 1.40 simply will not
work at all on Snow Leopard, but I have not heard reports that it is broken
under 10.5.8.

No matter how advanced your camera you still need
to be responsible for getting it to the right place at the right time and
pointing it in the right direction to get the photo you want.
____Ken Rockwell, Your Camera Does Not Matter, 2005

http://gallery.me.com/freewheeler
http://freewheeler10.blogspot.com/

periglenes Registered since 07th Sep 2009Wed 09-Sep-09 11:59 AM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: View NX error on Macintosh"
In response to Reply # 1

US

Freewheeler10 said "Make sure
you have the latest raw converter. "

What does this mean? Is there a separate RAW converter that I can/should install? I assumed that RAW conversion was built into View and Capture. When I uninstalled and reinstalled, didn't that get me the latest RAW converter?

I think View worked OK briefly, but I don't know for sure. At first I edited using Capture on the Mac, then jumped to Capture on the PC. Once I figured out that I wasn't ready to pay for Caputure, I just did simple editing on the PC using View. When I went back to the Mac, I had problems with View right away, so maybe it never did work.

I'm planning to upgrade to Snow Leopard, but then I'll need a new simple photoeditor. Maybe I'll try to learn GIMP...

Freewheeler10 Registered since 17th Apr 2008Thu 10-Sep-09 05:00 PM
1105 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: View NX error on Macintosh"
In response to Reply # 2

Englewood, US

>Freewheeler10 said "Make sure
>you have the latest raw converter. "
>
>
>What does this mean? Is there a separate RAW converter that I
>can/should install? I assumed that RAW conversion was built
>into View and Capture. When I uninstalled and reinstalled,
>didn't that get me the latest RAW converter?
>
If you have your mac set up to automatically get system software updates, from time
to time you will notice in the list a new "camera RAW update, usually to support new
cameras by Nikon and Canon.

>I'm planning to upgrade to Snow Leopard, but then I'll need a
>new simple photoeditor. Maybe I'll try to learn GIMP...

If you think you might use capture 2, or viewnx, make sure you have both programs
running properly under os 10.5.x. Be aware that right now, viewnx version
1.40 is broken under Snow Leopard, and you have to upgrade to CaptureNX2
2.2.2 under leopard, and then upgrade to Snow Leopard. ...Did I miss something?
Did someone put in a request for all this complexity while I was not looking? Did
I not get the memo?

periglenes Registered since 07th Sep 2009Thu 17-Sep-09 12:54 AM
#4. "RE: View NX error on Macintosh"
In response to Reply # 3

US

I found an important new clue! I can load RAW files and edit them from other accounts on the same Macintosh. The problem is confined to a single account.

I un-installed View NX. Then I deleted the Library > Application Support files and folder. Did a clean install. Then I ran Disk Utility and fixed permissions.

Still doesn't work.

I suppose I could create a whole new account for myself and migrate all my files over...

Any other ideas?

Freewheeler10 Registered since 17th Apr 2008Thu 17-Sep-09 03:04 PM
#5. "RE: View NX error on Macintosh"
In response to Reply # 4

Englewood, US

>
>I found an important new clue! I can load RAW files and edit
>them from other accounts on the same Macintosh. The problem is
>confined to a single account.
>
>I un-installed View NX. Then I deleted the Library >
>Application Support files and folder. Did a clean install.
>Then I ran Disk Utility and fixed permissions.
>Still doesn't work.
>
>I suppose I could create a whole new account for myself and
>migrate all my files over...
>
>Any other ideas?

Have you tried "App-Remover" or one of its sibs?
You should be deleting:

1. ViewNX.app
2. com.nikon.NkFramework.ViewNX.plist
3. jp.co.nikon.ViewNX.plist
4. and the ViewNX folder in the Applications folder.

Other than that, if you get into one of the other accounts (I think the account
has to have admin permissions) where ViewNX works, and uninstall, re-install
"for all users of this computer." ??

JohnorJacquie Registered since 06th May 2008Fri 13-Nov-09 05:06 PM
140 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: View NX error on Macintosh"
In response to Reply # 5

Ottawa, CA

Yes I'm still trying to fix my problem and noticed this post which is similar to mine. I followed your instructions since I feel this is getting closer, but still getting "unsupported file type" on my jpgs and tiff's.
I really do think I am either missing a file or there is a file that needs to be deleted.

As I have said in previous posts unistalled sn and the capture 2.2.2, viewnx 1.5 and transfer 1.5. Then re installed capture 2.1, viewnx 1.4,and transfer 1.4.

I have also done the Preference removed cache on viewnx.

I am determined if anything, though back from sick kids, and the flu myself. Still trying to tackle this problem.

JohnorJacquie Registered since 06th May 2008Sat 21-Nov-09 04:01 PM
140 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: View NX error on Macintosh"
In response to Reply # 6

Ottawa, CA

Finally I bothered Nikon enough that they gave me a phone number to call them. I actually spoke to a person..I can't tell you how wonderful it was to hear a human voice. This person not only knew the nikon software but also the mac.
When I explained everything I had done we tried loading viewnx on another account, and it worked! So he explained that something must have gotten corrupted with the installing and uninstalling of the sn and nikon software on the account used.
He said that the jpg's and tiff's are created by the apple software not nikon (now I may not be explaining this properly) so the problem is with apple not nikon.
Anyway I moved everything (which is not as easy as one would think) from one account to another and my nikon software is now working. It amazes me that from account to another that you would have these differances.
By the way I am using viewnx 1.5
So if anyone has a similar problem as I have had this might be a solution.

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #832 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.