Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #8225
View in linear mode

Subject: "Starting at "0"" Previous topic | Next topic
jhanes55 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Feb 2010Sat 11-Feb-12 05:22 PM
60 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Starting at "0""

Surprise, US

After many good years of service I plan to upgrade my faithful D100 to a D700 or D800.
My only printing was a few 8/10's straight out of the camera with occassional e-mailing. At 75 I know zip, zero, nadda about "post processing" The paper I worked at had photo shop classes starting when I left. ("Read stone Age.") I have come to this forum with simple requests.
What is/are good beginning program(s) (for a slow learner) that have an easy learning curve?? I know every one has a favorite so I'll look at the one's that get the most favorable reccomandations.
Then on to pc spec recomandations gigga, Tera, Ram and so on. try to keep it simple.
Thanks for any help to an old man.
"hope you Have at it guys"
Jerry

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006Sat 11-Feb-12 06:13 PM
11422 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Starting at "0""
In response to Reply # 0
Sat 11-Feb-12 06:15 PM by dm1dave

Lowden, US

Hi Jerry,

Just for simplicity I think I would go with the Nikon software View NX and/or Capture NX.

Since you are used to using your images strait out of the camera these two programs are the only ones that will use all of the camera settings. If you get your camera settings (picture controls) set up just right the Nikon software will process the images with little need for further processing.

You can probably start off with View NX (a free program) that will open your NEF images with the camera settings applied and enough tools to make essential changes if needed.

Capture NX is a full featured RAW editor that gives you much more control over the processing. The basic stuff is not all that hard to learn and there is always a Nikonian or two who can help you with more complex tasks.

Computer; For a D700 almost any computer less than about 3 years old should work. If you are using Windows it will be best if you have Windows 7 64 bit with at least GB of RAM. For a D800 I would try to have 8 GB of RAM and a pretty fast processor such as a quad core i7.

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa
Nikonians Photo Contest Director

Nikonians membership -
"My most important photographic investment, after the camera"

My Nikonians Gallery | SummersPhotoGraphic.com | My Crated Gallery
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Showcase your best work in any of our 7 Monthly Nikonians Photo contests.

Wildlife | Landscape | Macro | Sports | Travel | Online Assignments | Best of Nikonians 2014

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #8225 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.