Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #8207
View in linear mode

Subject: "What is Adobe Lightroom?" Previous topic | Next topic
mwhals Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2004Fri 10-Feb-12 04:23 AM
1648 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"What is Adobe Lightroom?"

Winfield, US

I have Photoshop CS5, but have never used Lightroom. Is it supplemental to Photoshop, an alternative to Nikon's Capture, or something else?

Shoot nature with respect and don't trample it or startle its inhabitants.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

Drbee Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Aug 2004Fri 10-Feb-12 04:34 AM
5778 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: What is Adobe Lightroom?"
In response to Reply # 0

Naperville, US

One of the best ways to learn about LR is to take a "tour" on the Adobe LightRoom web site.

LR is stand-alone program that is used to ingest, catalog, label, edit, print, upload-to-web, manage sites like SnapPix, construct slide-shows, etc. It's editing tools are very intuitive and do most of my RAW editing. For more difficult layers stuff, I open CS5 from within LR and do the work there. LR allows you to import say 100 images and work with them in blocks applying lighting and other corrections to images ranges within the 100 (assuming you shot these images in different conditions). This is very, very useful. IMO worth the cost of the program alone.

I can import a block of images, assign basic keywords, make basic lighting and other edit corrections, rate them, cull, etc in a matter of minutes with a consistent set of libraries, catalogs and editing tools across a multitude of images. The discipline itself speeds long term collections and displays of images.

LR offers a generous 30 day trial. It's worth it because you get a fully functioning piece of software. It wouldn't recommend trying the trial until your schedule permits time to devote to the software for those 30 days. It's a shame to miss major features because you didn't allow enough time.

Best Regards,
Roger

mwhals Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2004Sat 11-Feb-12 12:52 AM
1648 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: What is Adobe Lightroom?"
In response to Reply # 1

Winfield, US

Thanks!

How does Lightroom compare to Nikon's Capture NX2? I don't have either, so I am wondering whether to get both, one or the other to go with my CS5.

Drbee Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Aug 2004Sat 11-Feb-12 01:43 AM
5778 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: What is Adobe Lightroom?"
In response to Reply # 2

Naperville, US

Sorry, I haven't used NX2. I understand that it is a powerful single-image editor (my characterization) that is capable of applying the Nikon in-cameras settings to the RAW images as they are imported and converted from RAW to jpg/tif. LR can't read all the Nikon proprietary settings so you basically start with the RAW image and apply yours or other preset editing steps in the conversion process.

LR saves all it's images modification in a database or sidecar files so the original image is not effected by any editing steps. Once you export an image (copy) from LR to an external file/format, the editing steps are permanently integrated into the exported file.

I hope someone else with more info can help you. I think LR has conditioned me to not think about Nikon in-camera camera controls. It RAW converter is very powerful and so are standard or your customized presets, but it does ignore the Nikon in-camera settings.

Best Regards,
Roger

mwhals Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2004Sat 11-Feb-12 05:13 AM
#4. "RE: What is Adobe Lightroom?"
In response to Reply # 3

Winfield, US

Thanks. It would have helped if I posted it in the correct forum.

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #8207 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.