Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #8202
View in linear mode

Subject: "NX2 problem with Pixma Pro-1" Previous topic | Next topic
rb6879 Registered since 23rd Dec 2011Thu 09-Feb-12 03:48 AM
32 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"NX2 problem with Pixma Pro-1"

Hot Springs, US

I have posted the screenshot that I discuss below in my gallery.

This is a screenshot of an NX2 (v2.3.0) attempt to perform color matching from within NX2 with ICC profiles. The underlying image is the source image. The foreground image on the left is the NX2 Print Layout window. The foreground image on the right is the image that NX2 is passing to the print driver.

The image in the Print Layout window shows that the image color profile is aRGB. Although you can't see all of it I assure you the printer color profile is for the Canon Pixma Pro-1 printer and for the Canon Photo Paper that was loaded in the printer. After turning on soft proof I did some minor modifications to the image with NX2. As you can see the image in the Print Layout window is quite acceptable in regards to color matching the source. However when I click the Print Layout window's Print button, I get the grossly over-saturated image shown in the Print window.

I e-mailed this screenshot to Canon and they determined that problem was with NX2 (no surprise there). However when working the Canon tech I am inclined to agree. During the troubleshooting the tech had me look at the image in the Canon Print Utility and with the Apple Preview application. In both instances the image color was very close, if not spot on, with the source. Also I can use the Canon print utility that was supplied with the printer to produce some outstanding prints. However this forces me to use Canon Photo Paper and I would really prefer to use Ilford paper.

I also downloaded a trial copy of Lightroom to see if there was any difference. For some reason there is no print preview when I invoke the print driver from LR so that test was a bust.

I have been in contact with Nikon software support. So far their only response has been to agree that there is a problem (duh) and to have me send them a system profile for my Mac Mini. As expected, I have now been waiting numerous days to hear back from Nikon and when checking incident status under My Nikon / My Questions on the Nikon website the status remains as Researching.

Any comments/thoughts/suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Russell Brown
Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens. -- Jimi Hendrix
Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #8202 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.