Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #820
View in linear mode

Subject: "NX2 and "Show Lost Highlights"" Previous topic | Next topic
billD80 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007Sun 22-Nov-09 11:31 AM
2141 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"NX2 and "Show Lost Highlights""

US

Using the "Show Lost Highlights" tab, I notice that NX2 displays various parts of an image with different colors, from blue to red to white... Is this the way of demarcating, "nearly blown, slightly blown, totally blown"?

The Histogram would tend to support my theory, but I wanted to check with others who know the program...

www.billkeane.zenfolio.com

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: NX2 and "Show Lost Highlights"
C_Otto Gold Member
22nd Nov 2009
billD80 Silver Member
22nd Nov 2009
chucksD5100 Silver Member
22nd Jun 2013
ecossephoto
23rd Jun 2013
robsb Platinum Member
24th Jun 2013
walkerr Administrator
24th Jun 2013
robsb Platinum Member
26th Jun 2013
ericbowles Moderator
26th Jun 2013

C_Otto Gold Member Nikonian since 12th Apr 2002Sun 22-Nov-09 11:52 AM
1412 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: NX2 and "Show Lost Highlights""
In response to Reply # 0

Manchester, US

If you go to that program's Help file and do a search for "lost", you come up with these tables:

for lost highlights--
White This area contains values of 255 for the red, green, and blue channels.
Yellow This area contains values of 255 for the red and green channel.
Magenta This area contains values of 255 for the red and blue channels.
Cyan This area contains values of 255 for the green and blue channels.
Red This area contains values of 255 for the red channel.
Green This area contains values of 255 for the green channel.
Blue This area contains values of 255 for the blue channel.

for lost shadows--
Black This area contains values of 0 for the red, green, and blue channels.
Blue This area contains values of 0 for the red and green channel.
Green This area contains values of 0 for the red and blue channels.
Red This area contains values of 0 for the green and blue channels.
Cyan This area contains values of 0 for the red channel.
Magenta This area contains values of 0 for the green channel.
Yellow This area contains values of 0 for the blue channel.

Cliff
Manchester, NH, USA

billD80 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007Sun 22-Nov-09 06:58 PM
2141 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: NX2 and "Show Lost Highlights""
In response to Reply # 1

US

>If you go to that program's Help file and do a search for
>"lost", you come up with these tables:
>
>for lost highlights--
>White This area contains values of 255 for the red, green,
>and blue channels.
>Yellow This area contains values of 255 for the red and green
>channel.
>Magenta This area contains values of 255 for the red and blue
>channels.
>Cyan This area contains values of 255 for the green and blue
>channels.
>Red This area contains values of 255 for the red channel.
>Green This area contains values of 255 for the green
>channel.
>Blue This area contains values of 255 for the blue channel.
>
>for lost shadows--
>Black This area contains values of 0 for the red, green, and
>blue channels.
>Blue This area contains values of 0 for the red and green
>channel.
>Green This area contains values of 0 for the red and blue
>channels.
>Red This area contains values of 0 for the green and blue
>channels.
>Cyan This area contains values of 0 for the red channel.
>Magenta This area contains values of 0 for the green
>channel.
>Yellow This area contains values of 0 for the blue channel.
>
>Cliff
>Manchester, NH, USA

Thanks for that. It's much clearer now.

www.billkeane.zenfolio.com

chucksD5100 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jun 2013Sat 22-Jun-13 07:45 PM
17 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: NX2 and "Show Lost Highlights""
In response to Reply # 2

Cary, US

I know it will be a "wonder" if anyone is still tracking this thread, but I thought I would give it a shot. I "googled" this topic and landed here. So, I'm beginning here. Just joined the forum.

Since this tool gives this information in very specific categories, I was wondering where I can read more about responding creatively to the color channel info provided by this tool. Obviously, this is pretty advanced work since I don't see this topic in "quick start" and "quick fix" and more elementary presentations. Maybe working in these channels or knowing this info is only for designers.

But, I would like to read a little more about the story behind the information given by this setting in CaptureNX2. What tools would one use to respond to the info regarding the presentation of yellow in "show lost highlights".

Thanks.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

ecossephoto Registered since 21st Jun 2012Sun 23-Jun-13 07:09 AM
107 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: NX2 and "Show Lost Highlights""
In response to Reply # 3

GB

There are 3 methods that I use for retrieving lost highlights but the solution varies with the exposed shot.

If RAW, adjust exposure.
Quick Fix - Highlight Protection.
Quick Fix - Reduce Contrast.

There may be better methods (I will let others chip in here) but one, or a combination, of these works for me.

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Mon 24-Jun-13 05:25 AM
12572 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#5. "RE: NX2 and "Show Lost Highlights""
In response to Reply # 3

San Jose, US

Though I have not tried it, I believe you could also use a color control point to recover lost highlights as when you use the ALL function in that control point you get access to the RGB sliders and can therefore reduce the values of the ones at 255.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

"Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the
camera"

Retirement is a gift of time - Don't waste it!

walkerr Administrator Awarded for his con tributed articles published at the Resources Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in multiple areas Nikonian since 05th May 2002Mon 24-Jun-13 12:25 PM
14399 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: NX2 and "Show Lost Highlights""
In response to Reply # 5

Colorado Springs, US

That'll work okay for something that's neutrally colored (bright whites, which will then go grey), but since the control point function can't recover lost highlight detail, colored subjects may end up with color shifts. It can be better than nothing when used in small areas, though.

Rick Walker

My photos:
GeoVista Photography

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Wed 26-Jun-13 12:08 AM
12572 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#7. "RE: NX2 and "Show Lost Highlights""
In response to Reply # 6

San Jose, US

Rick good point

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

"Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the
camera"

Retirement is a gift of time - Don't waste it!

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Wed 26-Jun-13 12:51 PM
8476 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: NX2 and "Show Lost Highlights""
In response to Reply # 7

Atlanta, US

If you have exhausted the ability to "recover" the lost highlight, you can still address the problem.

With some colors lowering saturation can be used to make blown color less offensive - such as with blown reds in red flowers. This is similar to the idea of reducing contrast.

One choice is to use the clone tool to clone out the problem highlight. If the area is small - an undesirable reflection or highlight, this works nicely.

The other tool is to use a control point to replace the blown color with a color of your choice - typically a darker shade of the same color, but you could also simply pick up an adjoining color using the eyedropper. With this approach you may still need to clean up the edit with the clone tool.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Fall Workshops - Golf Photography at the Tour Championship and Fall Color in the Smokies

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #820 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.