nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #8157
View in linear mode

Subject: "Hi There" Previous topic | Next topic
Pipwheat Registered since 07th Jul 2010Thu 02-Feb-12 11:52 AM
22 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Hi There"

UK

I'm using View NX (2.1.2) to process NEF files from my D700.
I've just bought a new Nikon P7100 which comes with its own copy of of View NX2. I'm a bit reluctant to upload the version that came with the P7100 for fear of knackering the version that works with the D700.
I've tried using the present version with the P7100 files, but I can't seem to make adjustments to the RAW files.
I've had seemingly unsolveable problems with a trial version Capture NX, which is making me more wary than I probably need to be.

I presume I should just run it and it will work for both sets of files.

Shall I just bite the bullet, or does anyone have advice?
Thanks Pip

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Hi There
ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community
02nd Feb 2012
Pipwheat
02nd Feb 2012
gkaiseril Gold Member
02nd Feb 2012
Pipwheat
02nd Feb 2012
ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community
02nd Feb 2012
DSW90049 Gold Member
21st Jul 2012
gkaiseril Gold Member
23rd Jul 2012

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Thu 02-Feb-12 12:01 PM
8925 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Hi There"
In response to Reply # 0

Atlanta, US

There is no problem with using the latest version of the Nikon View software. There are probably small enhancements but probably nothing major. Many times software includes minor enhancements and capability of processing images from new cameras. That's probably why you are having problems with the RAW files from your P7100.

Typically the software included with cameras would not be the latest version. You should go to the Nikon website - Nikon Europe - and download the latest version of View NX2 which is 2.2.5.

https://nikoneurope-en.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/50937

Capture NX2 has the same issues - you need the latest version downloaded from Nikon to process RAW images from new cameras.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

Pipwheat Registered since 07th Jul 2010Thu 02-Feb-12 12:32 PM
22 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Hi There"
In response to Reply # 1

UK

Thanks very much for a speedy reply and solution, Eric. I've done as suggested and it works fine.

Yet again proving the value of my Nikoians subscription.

Best Wishes
Pip

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Thu 02-Feb-12 04:01 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Hi There"
In response to Reply # 2
Thu 02-Feb-12 04:01 PM by gkaiseril

Chicago, US

I usually update my Nikon a couple weeks after the release of the update. The wait is to see if there are any major problems with the new release. Although I do have backup copies of the install software for a couple of generations.

The updates include fixes and the code to process NEF, NRW, or new RAW format for the newer Nikon cameras. They some times also add a major new feature.

I would also check for new firmware updates for your cameras.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

Pipwheat Registered since 07th Jul 2010Thu 02-Feb-12 04:39 PM
#4. "RE: Hi There"
In response to Reply # 3

UK

Am I right in thinking firmware updates can only be done by returning the camera to the dealer/Nikon? Not something I could do myself like updating software?

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Thu 02-Feb-12 05:43 PM
8925 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Hi There"
In response to Reply # 4

Atlanta, US

George has a good practice in waiting a couple of weeks to update after a software release. In the case of the recent update to 64 Capture NX2, the software was fine but there were some unique situations that could benefit from a specific series of steps in the installation.

In the case of firmware, you certainly should not have a need to take you camera to a dealer or Nikon for an update. The firmware update instructions are pretty good and work for 99.9% of people. The problem lies in the lack of frequency in firmware updates - it is normally only once every year or two so the steps and terminology are unfamiliar. For many cameras there are YouTube videos demonstrating the process. The good news is the process is getting simpler.

You should certainly keep your camera using the latest firmware. It often addresses problems that you may not have experienced but may be lurking.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

DSW90049 Gold Member Nikonian since 11th Feb 2012Sat 21-Jul-12 11:47 PM
177 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Hi There"
In response to Reply # 5
Sat 21-Jul-12 11:48 PM by DSW90049

Los Angeles, US

Hope this is a proper thead for this; if not, pls move or tell me where to move it.

Just did the 1.06 firmware lens update (distortion control) on my D7000.
Now I'm still learning as a long time amateur photographer - why I come here; best place to learn and 'up' my game, but, with computers, I go back to the hobby kit days, and laptops with no hard drives. I can do nearly everything on a PC or, my long fave, Macs.

Here's the Rant:
Why, O why, does Nikon have to make firmware updates so damn seemingly hard?!?
The instructions are too long, poorly written, and inconsistent.
I mean REALLY.
& when you get to the end, if it doesn't take, I mean, work, then they have the ominous 'talk to your Nikon service rep!'. Like I want to do that for what should be such a simple update!
I'm surprised those with minimal computer skills don't squawk about this overly cumbersome, horribly written set of instructions.
Or picket Nikon repair centers and corporate HQ's with torch & pitchfork!!

And, why can't I just do it in the camera?!?

Now I feel better.
Thanks for listening.

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Mon 23-Jul-12 07:33 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Hi There"
In response to Reply # 6

Chicago, US

And have you ever updated the frimware on your computer?

I am not talking about software updates but the eprom/eeprom or flash memory firmware that performs the boot of your system and may include some basic device interface control.

Some devices like an Android tablet have worked it out so the device patches a copy of the firmware on a virtual system and then updates the kernel system. But that is a different OS and is running in software more than one computer system.

The firmware is the lowest level of code in a smart device and for many devices if this code get corrupted the device will not work.

If you want you can send you camera in for a cleaning and checkup and Nikon will perform the firmware update at no extra cost.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #8157 Previous topic | Next topic