Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #8120
View in linear mode

Subject: "Two Win7/NX2 questions" Previous topic | Next topic
mefnj Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Jan 2009Thu 26-Jan-12 12:04 AM
242 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Two Win7/NX2 questions"

US

There's a lot of great info on the forums regarding Win7 and Capture NX2. However, I wonder if anyone else has had these two problems and found a resolution to them?

1) If I select a .tif or a .jpg, NX2 is no longer showing up in the list as a program to open the files when I right-click and select "Open with..." I've also navigated through the "Choose default program..." dialog and selected the Capture NX 2.exe program from the Nikon folder several times, but it never shows up in the dialog after selecting it.

2) On an even odder note, I believe under Win XP I saw actual photo thumbnails of .nef files when looking though folders. However, now all I see for .nef files is the generic NEF/NX2 icon for each photo. And if I click on a .nef, i do not get a preview in the right-hand sidebar, but it states "No preview available". I would think with NX2 installed the system should display a preview.

Any thoughts/suggestions very much appreciated.

Thanks,
-Mark

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Thu 26-Jan-12 12:12 AM
5583 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Two Win7/NX2 questions"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu 26-Jan-12 12:59 AM by mklass

Tacoma, US

Win7, while good, is still a pain in terms of customization and controls. Microsoft still seems to think we are all idiots that should not be allowed to control our own computers. {End of Rant]

For #1, try reinstalling CNX2 again (no need to uninstall, just install again over the existing installation). When you get to the installation programs choice of making CNX the default for what file types, select them all.

For #2 you may need to install the Nikon Codec for this. You'll find the file and the installation instructions here: http://nikonimglib.com/nefcodec/

Mick
www.mickklassphoto.com
or
Visit my nikonians gallery

mefnj Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Jan 2009Thu 26-Jan-12 12:54 AM
242 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Two Win7/NX2 questions"
In response to Reply # 1

US

both solutions worked perfectly! thanks.
-Mark

chevysales Registered since 08th Nov 2008Thu 26-Jan-12 12:38 AM
156 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Two Win7/NX2 questions"
In response to Reply # 0

US

>There's a lot of great info on the forums regarding Win7 and
>Capture NX2. However, I wonder if anyone else has had these
>two problems and found a resolution to them?
>
>
>1) If I select a .tif or a .jpg, NX2 is no longer showing up
>in the list as a program to open the files when I right-click
>and select "Open with..." I've also navigated
>through the "Choose default program..." dialog and
>selected the Capture NX 2.exe program from the Nikon folder
>several times, but it never shows up in the dialog after
>selecting it.
>
>
>2) On an even odder note, I believe under Win XP I saw actual
>photo thumbnails of .nef files when looking though folders.
>However, now all I see for .nef files is the generic NEF/NX2
>icon for each photo. And if I click on a .nef, i do not get a
>preview in the right-hand sidebar, but it states "No
>preview available". I would think with NX2 installed the
>system should display a preview.
>
>
>Any thoughts/suggestions very much appreciated.
>
>Thanks,
>-Mark
no need to re install nx2 or any program...go into control panel and choose "default programs" and you will find the list to choose programs for file types and associations that you want. its simple, clean and does away withe the way it's been done since w/95.

Happy Nikon convert from Canon...
D700
24-70 f2.8
70-200vr f2.8

mefnj Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Jan 2009Thu 26-Jan-12 12:56 AM
#4. "RE: Two Win7/NX2 questions"
In response to Reply # 2

US

sorry, NX2 doesn't even show up in the "default program" section... and the solutions offered by mklass worked perfectly. but thanks anyways for the suggestions...

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #8120 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.