nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Capture NX 2.3.0 x64 trouble-free use of RAM in Windows 7

KolinP

Weston-super-Mare, UK
248 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
KolinP Silver Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 13th May 2006
Tue 24-Jan-12 05:28 AM | edited Tue 24-Jan-12 05:32 AM by KolinP

I thought this might be of interest to anyone wondering how large a .NEF file Capture NX2 version 2.3.0 (64-bit) could handle, running under Window 7 (Window 7 also 64-bit of course).

Here's a screen-grab of Windows 7 Task Manager showing - in the blue graph-line - the trouble-free consumption and the later release of over 6GB of RAM by Capture NX Version 2.3.0 (CNX2) while I edited an extremely large .NEF file of over half a gigabyte in size, specifically 597,453,894 bytes. The .NEF file was derived from a similar-sized .TIF image.

Click on image to view larger version

The plumetting blue line on the right end of the graph shows CNX2 "giving back" all of that RAM to Windows 7 when I closed the just-edited file (see my 'sequence' notes below). I know ... I know ... this straightforward "behaviour" by a modern piece of software should not be exceptional, nor even noteworthy, but given our historical global experience of "issues" with Capture NX, I'm delighted to report that now - in my case at least - it's behaving exactly as it should do

The original .TIF file that I loaded into CNX2 was a large 19-image panorama, saved from my Panorama Studio 2 program, and its image dimensions are 24,018 pixels wide by 3,652 pixels high. I'd converted that newly exported, uncompressed .TIF file into an LZW-compressed .TIF file using the freebie Firestone Image Viewer, before I loaded it into Capture NX2, and the smaller LZW-compressed .TIF filesize is now 630,314,239 bytes.

The sequence of events and Edit Steps on this image were -

• 1. I loaded the .TIF file into CNX2 (which was already opened and running) via drag-and-drop
  • 2. Assigned an sRGB color space to the originally non-color-space-endowed .TIF file
  • 3. Did a Save As ... to create a .NEF version of the image
  • 4. In the Quick Fix panel I adjusted Highlight protection + Shadow protection + Saturation
  • 5. Did a File | Save ... and noticed that this (now) normally instantaneous step took an unusually long few seconds !
  • 6. LCH mid-tone adjustment
  • 7. Auto Levels | Advanced + an Opacity adjustment
  • 8. File | Save again
  • 9. Unsharp Mask - 30,4,0
  • 10. High Pass - Radius 1, Opacity 60
  • 11. File | Save As ... JPEG ... Quality 100% (it created a 69.5MB JPG image!)
  • 12. Closed the file.

That was it. I didn't look at my Windows 7 Task Manager until this point.

Windows 7 Task manager showed CNX2's "Peak Working Set" (of RAM) to be a whopping 6,314,028 bytes. When I re-opened the .NEF file in CNX2, the size of the temporary cache file was (and still is) 665,970,640 bytes. (Yes, I re-enabled caching on my NX2 (which is off by default after a CNX2 64-bit install), in a so-far successful attempt to avoid the false "Capture NX 2.3 pop-up temporary folder disk is full" messages, which I admit I'd seen only twice PRIOR to re-enabling NX2's cache.)

Other incidental information:

1. To explain why the CPU graph (green line) on this screen-capture shows "49%" as its background CPU Usage - my Intel i7 CPU offers me eight execution threads, and I keep four of the threads busy 24/7 by running four instances of an algorithmic search program, each of which keeps one CPU thread fully occupied at 100% (of its thread) ... and 4/8ths of the available 8 threads-worth of CPU time is (about) 50%. The remaining 50% of my i7 CPU's thread-capacity is plenty for all my photo-editing and other work.

2. When CNX2 is not running, the total RAM used by Windows 7 (and my own) background tasks is (about) 1.57GB.

3. My (relevant) system specs are:
. Motherboard - ASUS P7P55D EVO, fitted with an Intel i7 CPU, plus 8GB of RAM.
. Free disk space on the (internal) drive D: which hosts CNX2's TEMP folder and also its cache folder = 250GB
. Free disk space on the (internal) drive F: from which I operated on this .NEF file = 1.38TB

(Typical me ... far too much info' again ...!)

But I hope this helps to reinforce our confidence in our historically too-fragile and temperamental (yet still MY favourite!) RAW processing program!

Colin P.

--
Staying busy is easy. Setting priorities is harder!
A doorway to my other photo sites

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Capture NX 2.3.0 x64 trouble-free use of RAM in Win...

G