Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #8046
View in linear mode

Subject: "Capture NX 2.3 pop-up temporary folder disk is full" Previous topic | Next topic
gerphil Silver Member Charter MemberFri 20-Jan-12 06:44 AM
154 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Capture NX 2.3 pop-up temporary folder disk is full"

Haarlem, NL

Since I upgraded to version 2.3 I get annoying pop-up warnings that the disk onto which Capture NX2 writes its temporary files is nearly full asnd I am recommended to do something about that. Is there a way to switch these warnings off?

For your background: I am on Windows XP SP3 - which is fast enough - and the temp folder is moved to a folder on a distinct high-speed disk I use for all caching and spooling. This disk is nearly empty (94Gb free space). Moving it back to C: doesn't help.

The issue pops-up when I already have quite a list of steps and want to return to a previously made step e.g. for adding another color point. Capture is fully able to process the change, but handling the tools is frustrated by the pop-up. A workaround is to switch off all following steps or to switch off 'keep all steps active'.

It is reported to Nikon but it could take until 2.3.x until it's solved.

Any help would be appreciated.

Kind regards,
Gerphil

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Capture NX 2.3 pop-up temporary folder disk is full
mklass Platinum Member
20th Jan 2012
gerphil Silver Member
20th Jan 2012
DeanAZ Moderator
20th Jan 2012
gerphil Silver Member
20th Jan 2012
gerphil Silver Member
20th Jan 2012
gerphil Silver Member
22nd Jan 2012
KolinP Silver Member
24th Jan 2012
gerphil Silver Member
24th Jan 2012
mklass Platinum Member
24th Jan 2012
gerphil Silver Member
24th Jan 2012
KolinP Silver Member
24th Jan 2012
gerphil Silver Member
25th Jan 2012
bobtail Silver Member
13th Feb 2012
gerphil Silver Member
13th Feb 2012
mklass Platinum Member
13th Feb 2012
Freewheeler10
14th Feb 2012
gerphil Silver Member
14th Feb 2012
robsb Platinum Member
14th Feb 2012
gerphil Silver Member
14th Feb 2012
gerphil Silver Member
15th Feb 2012
mklass Platinum Member
15th Feb 2012
gerphil Silver Member
15th Feb 2012
James23p Moderator
15th Feb 2012
J_Harris Silver Member
15th Feb 2012
James23p Moderator
15th Feb 2012
gerphil Silver Member
17th Feb 2012
FrankSRGB Silver Member
18th Feb 2012
gerphil Silver Member
18th Feb 2012
mklass Platinum Member
18th Feb 2012
gerphil Silver Member
18th Feb 2012
robsb Platinum Member
18th Feb 2012
FrankSRGB Silver Member
18th Feb 2012
mklass Platinum Member
18th Feb 2012
FrankSRGB Silver Member
19th Feb 2012
FrankSRGB Silver Member
18th Feb 2012
gerphil Silver Member
19th Feb 2012
FrankSRGB Silver Member
19th Feb 2012
FrankSRGB Silver Member
19th Feb 2012
gerphil Silver Member
20th Feb 2012
FrankSRGB Silver Member
21st Feb 2012
gerphil Silver Member
21st Feb 2012

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Fri 20-Jan-12 08:20 AM
5575 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Capture NX 2.3 pop-up temporary folder disk is full"
In response to Reply # 0

Tacoma, US

I've seen this same message when running under Win7 64 bit, but as a 32 bit app.

It seems to happen when I have created quite a few control points (6 or more) in one edit step. It doesn't seem to cause CNX2 to crash, but it is annoying.

I'll be reinstalling CNX2 as a 64 bit app this weekend, with CEP3.004 and am curious to see if it happens there.

Mick
www.mickklassphoto.com
or
Visit my nikonians gallery

gerphil Silver Member Charter MemberFri 20-Jan-12 08:42 AM
154 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Capture NX 2.3 pop-up temporary folder disk is full"
In response to Reply # 1

Haarlem, NL

Hi Mick, it is already good to know that I am not the only one heving this issue.

I am curious to know if moving to 64bit would be an answer. And possibly a clue for Nikon to solving the issue. Though, for me upgrading to Windows 7/64-bit (which persuasion I could resist thus far) would be quite a migration ...

DeanAZ Moderator Expert nature photographer Nikonian since 28th Apr 2007Fri 20-Jan-12 12:30 PM
3707 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Capture NX 2.3 pop-up temporary folder disk is full"
In response to Reply # 2

Phoenix, US

I've had it happen just once on my 64 bit W7 install. I had the option to use the cache disabled at the time and the message was still displayed. I have since enabled the cache and I have not seen the message again. I think there is a possibility the message is not referring to the cache folder size on your hard drive but some other working memory the program is using but I am just guessing at this point.

Dean
Phoenix, Arizona USA
Nikonians Team Member

Recent Trips: Grand Canyon 2012 Glen Canyon 2012 West Clear Creek

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

gerphil Silver Member Charter MemberFri 20-Jan-12 01:08 PM
#4. "RE: Capture NX 2.3 pop-up temporary folder disk is full"
In response to Reply # 3

Haarlem, NL

In my case enabling or disabling the cache doesn't matter.

The issue pertains to the temp folder where Capture maintains edits onto the image that is in process. The folder contains no files anymore if you have Capture closed. This folder is mentioned on the preferences interface, under general at the bottom. There is a default (general) temp folder, but you can assign a different folder on another drive if you like.

The problem actually arises, like Michael confirmed, when you have a fair list of edit steps, more than six usualy. As is recalculating the edit steps take too much effort - although the application can certainly manage it.

gerphil Silver Member Charter MemberFri 20-Jan-12 06:15 PM
#5. "RE: Capture NX 2.3 pop-up temporary folder disk is full"
In response to Reply # 1
Sat 21-Jan-12 09:16 AM by gerphil

Haarlem, NL

Yesterday evening I thought to have solved the issue by installing the optional .Net Framework 4 update KB2468871 (through Windows Update), that is intended for 'compatibility issues'.

In first instance it seemed to have solved the issue, however, some more testing revealed that the issue is still there, but that the behavior is just reliefed a bit (it takes now triggering/creating two or three color/selection points up in the edit list to trigger the behavior, where it used to appear straight away with the first one in my test images).

The quest continues.

gerphil Silver Member Charter MemberSun 22-Jan-12 11:32 AM
#6. "RE: Capture NX 2.3 pop-up temporary folder disk is full"
In response to Reply # 5
Sun 22-Jan-12 07:06 PM by gerphil

Haarlem, NL

Issue resolved ... by reverting back to 2.2.8. Petty of the gained speed, but the pop-ups are too annoying.

It surprised me, however, that apparently besides me there are only two who have experienced the issue. I'll wait for Nikon to come with a patch in 2.3.1.

Additional info: Capture NX2 2.3 doesn't clean up the temp folder after closure of the program as it should - and as 2.2.8 does. This may relate to the issue. Some files and folders are left and add up. Something you may want to check.

KolinP Silver Member Nikonian since 13th May 2006Tue 24-Jan-12 04:53 AM
241 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Capture NX 2.3 pop-up temporary folder disk is full"
In response to Reply # 6

Weston-super-Mare, GB

>It surprised me, however, that apparently besides me there are
>only two who have experienced the issue.

I've seen this twice also (Windows 7 x64 & CNX 2.3.0 x64, of course) although it hasn't recurred (so far) since I re-enabled CNX2's caching over a week ago. (I acknowledge that at least one other person has reported seeing this recur after they'd re-enabled caching.)

>Additional info: Capture NX2 2.3 doesn't clean up the temp
>folder after closure of the program as it should

Hmmmm! On my system, CNX version 2.3.0 clears everything up perfectly when I close it!

I re-direct my CNX's TEMP folder (Edit | Preferences | General) to a specific folder on one of my non-system internal drives (my 'D:' drive). When CNX is running I see assorted files and folders appear in there, and when it's closed (like it is now), that folder is completely empty.

I also re-direct CNX's cache folder (Edit | Preferences | Cache Settings) to a different folder on that same D: drive, and I limit its cache size to 7GB (95 images). The cache folder always retains its cache files of course (it's what the cache is for after all ), and unless CNX crashes, it also (in my experience, at least with previous CNX versions) behaves itself by honouring that 'maximum' cache size limit.

Could you give us some more details please Gerphil about where your Capture NX TEMP folder is located? Have you re-directed it from its default location? And what were the names of some of the left-over CNX TEMP files you mention? Am I missing some left-overs on my setup that I'd really prefer to tidy up?

(Coincidentally, I'm about to post a new thread about my CNX's "good behaviour" when I gave it an enormous .NEF file to handle ... and the thread title will be "Capture NX2 x64 trouble-free use of RAM in Windows 7.)(give me a few minutes to get it up and edited etc..)

Colin P.

--
Staying busy is easy. Setting priorities is harder!
A doorway to my other photo sites

gerphil Silver Member Charter MemberTue 24-Jan-12 07:12 AM
#8. "RE: Capture NX 2.3 pop-up temporary folder disk is full"
In response to Reply # 7

Haarlem, NL

Hi Colin,

Thanks for your reaction. I indeeed also use to redirect these folders. I redirect the temp folder to D:/CaptureNX2temp and my caching to D:/CaptureNX2cache (although I switched off caching). In 2.2.8 this works perfectly. The D: drive is a fast 10.000rpm Raptor disk that is largely used for all caching, spooling, etc.

Indeed I noticed that on my system the temp folder is not emptied. This behavior appears when I got those pop-up warnings. If I don't, the folder is emptied properly (I believe - suggesting there must be a relationship between the two). I cannot reproduce the file names as I am not behind my system and I reinstalled 2.2.8, but the left-overs include a folder with something like 'tile' in the name. Inside it I find an icc profile for the D300. And there are one or two tmp files created when editing as well, but these disappear when closing the application (I believe) - the folder(s) don't.

FYI: I am working in 32-bit mode on Windows XP SP3. It is reported to Nikon and there appear to be more complaints about it. People are working on it. Actually, they advised me to stick with the 32-bit version for the time being as it shouldn't appear there - which is funny as I was doing that actually. It suggests anyhow, that it's not limited to the 64- or 32-bit version.

Anyhow, reading your remark, this behavior is not consistent and may not be noticed by all and/or some time - until you decide to edit and add a few color/selection control points up in a long edit list of an image you want to re-edit... That's how I noticed it. I need to do this as part of the Capture NX2 training I give, working on practicing images, and when it appears it is quite embarrassing.

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Tue 24-Jan-12 11:45 AM
5575 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Capture NX 2.3 pop-up temporary folder disk is full"
In response to Reply # 8

Tacoma, US

When I update Microsoft 4Net Framework (as suggested above) on my Win7-64 bit system, CNX 2.3-32bit stopped showing the temporary disk is full warning message.

I then upgraded to CNX 2.3-64bit and CEP 3.004. Initially I got the message when I had several control points in an edit step and was changing edit step values with the sliders. It didn't happen if I changed edit step values by entering a numerical value in the box adjacent to the slider.

However, I hadn't rebooted since installing teh 64bit CNX. Once I rebooted, the warning message has not reappeared (yet).

One odd thing that does happen, is when I use High Pass sharpening, I occasionally get a gray box covering part of the image after switching the Opacity Blending Mode from Normal to Overlay. Maybe by graphics adapter driver is due for an update.

Mick
www.mickklassphoto.com
or

gerphil Silver Member Charter MemberTue 24-Jan-12 12:52 PM
#10. "RE: Capture NX 2.3 pop-up temporary folder disk is full"
In response to Reply # 9

Haarlem, NL

Hi Mick, good to hear that thus far you managed to get rid of the pop-up warnings.

In my case unfortunately there was no reliable fix. Neither with the .Net4 upgrade, nor with switching on the caching, using the default temp folder, or disabling my wife's account on my computer. At best the pop-up appeared only after tweaking the second or third control point instead of more or less straight away (there is no real consistency in the behavior, it also depends how much you tweak a control point).

I didn't check if using numerical values would help, but I guess it helps as with using the slider Capture immediately seems to start recalculating. In general I believe the hassle is when Capture needs to recalculate all edits and then exceeding some thresholds in what it can read/write to temp/disk.

The only true workaround is to switch off the keeping edit steps alive when editing in the general preferences tab (don't know the English translation reads). But this is too much of a compromise for me - I then prefer to wait a bit longer using 2.2.8 (and for 2.3.1).

If you like you could do some testing with b/w conversion. First do your RAW processing (sharpening and contrast on 0, some shadows and exposure), then add 3 or 4 color points. Then a high-pass filter applied locally to strengthen some contrast. Then b/w conversion, playing with the filter. Then tweak your color points. Then add two locally applied levels & curves for locally increasing contrast (you may want to play with multiply blending mode). Then sharpening and finally add some grain or duotone. At the end you tweak both the color points and the amount of high-pass filtering again. Then close the image, open it again and tweak these color points and filtering again. This should give Capture the shivers. At least in my case.

Kind regards,
Gerphil
(www.geja-vu.nl)

KolinP Silver Member Nikonian since 13th May 2006Tue 24-Jan-12 02:36 PM
241 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Capture NX 2.3 pop-up temporary folder disk is full"
In response to Reply # 8

Weston-super-Mare, GB

Hi Gerphil,

>Indeed I noticed that on my system the temp folder is not
>emptied. This behavior appears when I got those pop-up
>warnings. (....)

Ahh! Yes, a good point. Following hiccups and crashes it's perhaps (perhaps!?) more understandable that our software might leave things behind. And it's probably a similar side effect to the more general instability and crashes in earlier CNX versions where it left orphaned cache files behind. Let's hope Nikon continues to resolve these glitches ... !

>FYI: I am working in 32-bit mode on Windows XP SP3.

And another "Ahh! Yes!" to that very good point, which would (or could) easily explain how CNX behaved differently on our respective systems. The days are long gone (sigh ...!!!!) when any of us could boast that we understood how every bit of software and every bit of hardware worked in depth on our systems, like I once did in the Windows 3.1 era !!!

>I need to do this (diagnosis/probing) as part of the Capture NX2 training I give,
>working on practicing images, and when it appears it is quite embarrassing.

I see! In your position you clearly can't afford the luxury that I'm indulging in, of just suffering and tolerating the occasional "surprise" while editing! I salute your thoroughness and determination to be one step "ahead" of the hiccups when possible!!!

Colin P.

--
Staying busy is easy. Setting priorities is harder!
A doorway to my other photo sites

gerphil Silver Member Charter MemberWed 25-Jan-12 02:03 PM
#12. "RE: Capture NX 2.3 pop-up temporary folder disk is full"
In response to Reply # 11

Haarlem, NL

Hi Colin,

Although we have different systems, it is good to know that the behavior pops up across multiple variants, although apparently to a more or less degree. Knowing this might even make it easier to find the root cause. Hence, thank you and other for your feedback.

It seems, as far as I understand from reactions, to be Windows related, but appears both in Windows 7 and XP, and both in 64- and 32-bit. Could very well be related to the way .Net Framework 4 is used by Capture NX2 - as the patch does ease the issue a bit, and this framework is shared across the various Windows variants.

Anyhow, enough speculation, I have the impression that Nikon works on it now and I am sure it can be solved rather easily. Which would be greatly appreciated, because I am a big fan of the application.

And by the way, editing huge panoramas with it is a joy too - thanks for sharing your article!

Kind regards,

Gerphil
(www.geja-vu.nl)

bobtail Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Sep 2006Mon 13-Feb-12 09:25 AM
60 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: Capture NX 2.3 pop-up temporary folder disk is full"
In response to Reply # 12

Axminster, GB

I have just had the pop-up appear and also in a teaching situation when modifying a file with multiple previous edits. This is with version 2-3-0 on Vista 32bit. Generally it has all been very stable, so it is puzzling.
Chris.

gerphil Silver Member Charter MemberMon 13-Feb-12 09:30 AM
#14. "RE: Capture NX 2.3 pop-up temporary folder disk is full"
In response to Reply # 13

Haarlem, NL

Thanks for letting me know. Hopefully it is addressed shortly in a new release to support the new D4 and D800.

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Mon 13-Feb-12 10:47 AM
#15. "RE: Capture NX 2.3 pop-up temporary folder disk is full"
In response to Reply # 13

Tacoma, US

I've had this still pop-up occasionally with v2.3 64 bit in Win 7. I just click through it and CNX seems to continue to work just fine.

It's annoying, but does not seem to really affect performance or stability.

Mick
www.mickklassphoto.com
or

Freewheeler10 Registered since 17th Apr 2008Tue 14-Feb-12 04:59 PM
1105 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: Capture NX 2.3 pop-up temporary folder disk is full"
In response to Reply # 6

Englewood, US

>It surprised me, however, that apparently besides me there are
>only two who have experienced the issue. I'll wait for Nikon
>to come with a patch in 2.3.1.

If there were only two people with this issue, nobody would expect
a patch; best hope there are thousands out there experiencing this
problem, all complaining to Nikon. Thankfully, NX2 2.3 64 bit on the Mac
hasn't had this issue.

Happy Shooting!
___Gary

http://gallery.me.com/freewheeler
http://freewheeler10.blogspot.com/

gerphil Silver Member Charter MemberTue 14-Feb-12 05:23 PM
#17. "RE: Capture NX 2.3 pop-up temporary folder disk is full"
In response to Reply # 16

Haarlem, NL

It becomes apparent that there are many more (but initially I got few reactions). It's a Windows-only bug as it seems (both 32- and 64-bit). Nikon confirmed that the issue is known and that they are working on it.

But as said elsewhere, for the rest 2.3 is very stable and even when the pop-up appears the program doesn't quit - actually the software can handle even the most laborious jobs very well, it is just that the indeed very annoying pop-up appears and prevents you from tweaking control point handles further. Which makes me believe that it is a minor issue for developers to solve.

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Tue 14-Feb-12 07:55 PM
12254 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#18. "RE: Capture NX 2.3 pop-up temporary folder disk is full"
In response to Reply # 1

San Jose, US

Yes it will. I have Win 7 64 bit Pro and massive HD's the smallest being 2 TB. I have 16 GB of RAM and am running an i7 2600k processor. I never see more than 25 % of my memory being used and I am getting this message all the time. I have tried changing the location of the temp drive to variou disks and it continues. Perhaps I too should submit a report to Nikon.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

"Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the
camera"

Retirement is a gift of time - Don't waste it!

gerphil Silver Member Charter MemberTue 14-Feb-12 08:08 PM
#19. "RE: Capture NX 2.3 pop-up temporary folder disk is full"
In response to Reply # 18

Haarlem, NL

Hi Bob, I would certainly do! Changing the location of your temp folder indeed doesn't help, regardless how big that one is. The only thing that really works is unchecking the box in 'preferences' that allows you to keep your edit steps alive while tweaking an edit step up in your list - but you won't want to do that. And don't let you suggest to return to 32 bit - that does'nt work either ...

gerphil Silver Member Charter MemberWed 15-Feb-12 07:48 AM
#20. "RE: Capture NX 2.3 pop-up temporary folder disk is full"
In response to Reply # 19

Haarlem, NL

Just noticed there is a version 2.3.1 of Capture NX2! However, the list of improvements doesn't include this issue. I issued another request to Nikon to give me an update on this new release, to get confirmed that it solves the issue (or not).

However, in the meantime, if you had the issue and upgrade to 2.3.1, it would be great if you could also notify me if you notice any difference with respect to the temp folder pop-up issue. Thank you very much!!!

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Wed 15-Feb-12 10:12 AM
#21. "RE: Capture NX 2.3 pop-up temporary folder disk is full"
In response to Reply # 20

Tacoma, US

I don't know where you are seeing version 2.3.1. The US Nikon site still shows 2.3.

Mick
www.mickklassphoto.com
or

gerphil Silver Member Charter MemberWed 15-Feb-12 10:17 AM
#22. "RE: Capture NX 2.3 pop-up temporary folder disk is full"
In response to Reply # 21
Wed 15-Feb-12 04:41 PM by gerphil

Haarlem, NL

It must be underway - in Europe a 2.3.1 update is available since this morning. For US users it can be found at http://support.nikonusa.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/17660.

Got a reply from Nikon NL by the way: they don't know about if this version gives a solution.

Which just stresses that anybody experiencing some bug should report it. Still, once 2.3.1 is available with you, please try it. I won't for the time being (unless I hear that it's OK) as I have another training to give tomorrow ...

James23p Moderator Awarded for his wide variety of skills, a true generalist both in film and digital photography Nikonian since 25th Apr 2004Wed 15-Feb-12 05:43 PM
9098 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#23. "RE: Capture NX 2.3 pop-up temporary folder disk is full"
In response to Reply # 22

Memphis, US

Yea my Buddy in Germany has already downloaded the new version. Nikon USA seems to be a bit behind.

Jim

Share, Learn and Inspire
www.nikonians.org

I will use film until the last roll and last lab are gone. Go Navy

J_Harris Silver Member Nikonian since 29th Mar 2011Wed 15-Feb-12 06:03 PM
664 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#24. "RE: Capture NX 2.3 pop-up temporary folder disk is full"
In response to Reply # 0

US

You guys might try the NEW "update" version 2.3.1 that was released today. It does not say that the pop-up problem was addressed, but who knows maybe it was one of those silent fixes.

Link is below;

http://support.nikonusa.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/17660/session/L2F2LzEvdGltZS8xMzI5MzMwNjk1L3NpZC9nblUyWE1Raw%3D%3D

Fixes listed:
Modifications that apply to both the Windows and Macintosh versions

• Support for RAW images captured with the D4, D800 and D800E has been added.

• Extra High 1 (Extra High) and Extra High 2 items have been added to the Active D-Lighting pulldown menu under Camera Settings in the Develop section of the Edit List.

When "Always use the latest Color Reproduction Process" in the Picture Control Utility Preferences is selected for images captured with cameras released prior to the D4, these items will be displayed.

• Event ID can now be displayed under File Info 2 in the File & Camera Information section of the Metadata palette for images captured by, and to which IPTC information has been added using the IPTC item in the camera’s setup menu, the D4.

• Display format for the following items in the Edit List has been modified.

• Active D-Lighting under Camera Settings in the Develop section

• Color Moiré Reduction under Camera & Lens Corrections in the Develop section

• An issue that prevented sufficient application of vignette control enhancement for RAW (NEF) images captured with the Nikon 1 V1 and Nikon 1 J1 with A firmware Ver. 1.10 or 1.11 and B firmware Ver. 1.10 installed has been resolved.

• An issue that prevented accurate display of lens information in the Metadata palette for images captured with the Nikon 1 V1 or Nikon 1 J1 and a 1 NIKKOR lens has been resolved.

• When certain images with GPS information attached were saved in JPEG format, Capture NX 2 sometimes quit responding. This issue has been resolved.

Jerry

James23p Moderator Awarded for his wide variety of skills, a true generalist both in film and digital photography Nikonian since 25th Apr 2004Wed 15-Feb-12 06:15 PM
9098 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#25. "RE: Capture NX 2.3 pop-up temporary folder disk is full"
In response to Reply # 24

Memphis, US

Thanks Jerry, I know Nikon does do that from time to time.

Jim

Share, Learn and Inspire
www.nikonians.org

I will use film until the last roll and last lab are gone. Go Navy

gerphil Silver Member Charter MemberFri 17-Feb-12 08:01 PM
#26. "RE: Capture NX 2.3 pop-up temporary folder disk is full"
In response to Reply # 25

Haarlem, NL

Yes, I could test it myself. However, if the issue isn't resolved I would have spent a whole evening first installing 2.3 and 2.3.1, then deinstalling the whole thing, then re-installing 2.2.6 and 2.2.8.

Actually, I hope someone of you who had the issue and still had 2.3 on your system and did the upgrade could share your experience ...

FrankSRGB Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Aug 2009Sat 18-Feb-12 11:12 AM
103 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#27. "RE: Capture NX 2.3 pop-up temporary folder disk is full"
In response to Reply # 26

US

I know of no reliable & repeatable way to force the warning message on my XP SP3 machine. I've found the pop-up warning issue to be so random & so infrequent that I could not say with any certainty that it was fixed. IOW I'd have to wait several weeks to be even reasonably sure. It may be that testing it yourself is the fastest and most reliable way for you to know.

FWIW The cpnx_tiledata folder is meant to hold a temp file named 0000000000000000.tmp. While the cpnx_tiledata folder is always created when CNX is first opened, the tmp file inside is not created until there is a need to do so. The creation of the tmp file depends on the content of the image file loaded into CNX and the amount of editing it received.

I've found that the cpnx_tiledata folder will be deleted when CNX is closed, but only **IF** the tmp file inside it was never created. In those CNX sessions where the tmp file was in fact created, when CNX is closed it will delete the tmp file inside the folder but not the folder itself. Thus leaving the empty cpnx_tiledata folder orphaned.

Try for yourself. Open CNX without an image file and observe your Temporary folder, the cpnx_tiledata folder will be created without a tmp file inside it. Close CNX and the folder is deleted.

Now open CNX and observe the "contents" of the cpnx_tiledata folder while you load an image file that has a lot of edit steps. It should cause CNX to generate the tmp file. If not, perform enough edit steps until it does. Then close CNX. The tmp file is deleted, but not its folder.

I've seen the same behavior in v2.2.8, so I don't think this has anything to do with the annoying pop-up warnings.

Regards,
Frank

gerphil Silver Member Charter MemberSat 18-Feb-12 11:51 AM
#28. "RE: Capture NX 2.3 pop-up temporary folder disk is full"
In response to Reply # 27

Haarlem, NL

Hi Frank - thanks for youre reply! You are correct - also in 2.2.8 Capture leaves orphaned cpnx_tiledata folders in the temp folder. But in 2.3, if the pop-up appears, I remember Capture to leave a file in these folders that wasn't deleted.

In terms of testing: I have several files that trigger the behavior straight away and consistently, which behave without any problem in 2.2.8. But also new files in which I apply 6 or 7 or more edit steps, including several color points, trigger the behavior pretty consistently. When I convert to b&w I rapidly hit against the threshold because then my first or second edit step includes a few color control points before applying local contrast, conversion and a few more.

You are also correct that the faster way to get a test is to test it by myself. However, I can live with 2.2.8 and the hassle up upgrading, deinstalling and re-installing, incl. getting all my preferences and batch settings as I want them is not worth spending a full evening plus the frustration on.

On the other hand, there must be people who have similar test files (and otherwise I could sdhare one of mine) and 2.3.1 on their system - so I was hoping that someone could tell me. And otherwise Nikon ...

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Sat 18-Feb-12 02:21 PM
#29. "RE: Capture NX 2.3 pop-up temporary folder disk is full"
In response to Reply # 28

Tacoma, US

Has anyone found that when the the pop-up CNX crashes? Or does it simply return to normal operation once you click through it?

Mick
www.mickklassphoto.com
or

gerphil Silver Member Charter MemberSat 18-Feb-12 05:25 PM
#30. "RE: Capture NX 2.3 pop-up temporary folder disk is full"
In response to Reply # 29

Haarlem, NL

In my case it doesn't crash - you can continue tweaking the control, but with interruptions of the pop-up. The program can perfectly handle all the things you want do. By the way, have you tried the upgrade and does it resolve the issue?

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Sat 18-Feb-12 08:37 PM
12254 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#31. "RE: Capture NX 2.3 pop-up temporary folder disk is full"

San Jose, US

I have never had a crash. I just click through and press on.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

"Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the
camera"

Retirement is a gift of time - Don't waste it!

FrankSRGB Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Aug 2009Sat 18-Feb-12 08:58 PM
103 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#33. "RE: Capture NX 2.3 pop-up temporary folder disk is full"

US

mklass,

I've not seen CNX crash as a result of the warning. But I have noticed other odd behavior.

-Once the warning appears, and I try to load a 2nd NEF into CNX without first closing & reopening CNX, I get a message saying CNX cannot load the file because there isn't enough memory. There is of course enough memory, and after closing CNX and reopening the same NEF, I can then load several more NEFs without incident.

-On one instance, where a NEF file predictably creates the 0000000000000000.tmp file, I received the warning but the tmp file wasn't created as expected. Though in other instances when I received the warning with other NEFs, the tmp file was created. So the warning may or may not be tied to the timing of this tmp file creation.

-The warnings are more likely to be repeated in the same CNX session, but not after closing & reopening CNX.

Even though CNX continues running without a crash when the warning appears, I would suggest closing CNX and starting a new session.

FWIW I suspect that when CNX is opened it calculates how much disk space is available even if it doesn't need to create that tmp file at that particular time. If the calculation is erroneous, and depending on the NEF file and edits it contains, the warning may be generated later in the same CNX session should the tmp file eventually need to be created. Just a hunch based on what I've observed so far.

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Sat 18-Feb-12 09:11 PM
#34. "RE: Capture NX 2.3 pop-up temporary folder disk is full"
In response to Reply # 33

Tacoma, US

I guess out of habit, I rarely am editing more than 1 file in CNX at a time. If I do see this message, and it is now very rare, I just click through it, finish my work and close CNX.

I still do periodically clean out my Windows temp folder (it gathers all sort of detritus over time) and also the CNX cache.

Minor maintenance, CNX 2.3 is stable, and the annoyance of the out of memory message is rare enough it doesn't bother me (knock on wood).

Mick
www.mickklassphoto.com
or

FrankSRGB Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Aug 2009Sun 19-Feb-12 07:56 PM
#37. "RE: Capture NX 2.3 pop-up temporary folder disk is full"
In response to Reply # 34

US

Mick,

It's not whether or not one works with multiple images loaded in CNX. But that doing so after receiving the "temporary folder disk is full" warning, and receiving yet another unexpected memory related message, indicates there's something else going on under the hood. IOW The Temp folder warning is not as benign as it appears.

FrankSRGB Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Aug 2009Sat 18-Feb-12 08:51 PM
#32. "RE: Capture NX 2.3 pop-up temporary folder disk is full"
In response to Reply # 28

US

>Hi Frank - thanks for youre reply! You are correct - also in
>2.2.8 Capture leaves orphaned cpnx_tiledata folders in the
>temp folder. But in 2.3, if the pop-up appears, I remember
>Capture to leave a file in these folders that wasn't deleted.

Are you sure you're referring to the 0000000000000000.tmp file inside the cpnx_tiledata folder?

When CNX crashes, it will leave small .tmp files in your temporary folder, but not in the cpnx_tiledata folder. I've never had an instance where the 0000000000000000.tmp file was left behind, or where other tmp files were found inside the cpnx_tiledata folder. Even after a crash CNX manages to delete the file. Which is a good thing given that I've seen that file grow larger than 20g

FWIW after a crash, I've even found the small .tmp files in the folder containing the image being edited. But not recently, knock on woo

Before I made my first reply I tried what you mentioned in your original post with a NEF containing 17 edits steps and could not force the warning to trigger. I can understand your reluctance to upgrade. Been there myself with previous versions, I don't blame you one bit for holding out for the fix.

I haven't upgraded to 2.3.1 yet. Can you supply a link where I could download one of your problem NEFs, and tell me exactly what steps you take to predictably trigger the warning? If I can predictably reproduce the warning by following your steps in v2.3.0, I could upgrade to 2.3.1 and let you know if the warning still occurs.

gerphil Silver Member Charter MemberSun 19-Feb-12 11:12 AM
#35. "RE: Capture NX 2.3 pop-up temporary folder disk is full"
In response to Reply # 32

Haarlem, NL

Hi Frank,
Excellent idea. The safest way would be if you could go to my website www.geja-vu.nl and press on Contact in the upper right corner to write me an email. I will then upload the NEF using WeTransfer and send you a notification that its ready for download. If you then could play with the color control points and possibly add one to two extra, in my case I get the pop- up. Thanks in advance!
Kind regards,
Gerphil

FrankSRGB Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Aug 2009Sun 19-Feb-12 07:34 PM
#36. "RE: Capture NX 2.3 pop-up temporary folder disk is full"
In response to Reply # 35

US

Email just sent.

FrankSRGB Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Aug 2009Sun 19-Feb-12 09:46 PM
#38. "RE: Capture NX 2.3 pop-up temporary folder disk is full"
In response to Reply # 36

US

Others have noted the error still exists in v2.3.1. I don't think the download will be necessary....

http://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showthread.php?t=327979

gerphil Silver Member Charter MemberMon 20-Feb-12 07:07 AM
#39. "RE: Capture NX 2.3 pop-up temporary folder disk is full"
In response to Reply # 38

Haarlem, NL

Thanks Frank. I also just got the confirmation from Nikon NL that 2.3.1 doesn't address the pop-up issue. So, let's wait for 3.2.2 ... Luckily I don't plan to buy the D4 or D800 for the time being.

I'll stick with proven D300/2.2.8 technology for the time being .

FrankSRGB Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Aug 2009Tue 21-Feb-12 06:06 AM
#40. "RE: Capture NX 2.3 pop-up temporary folder disk is full"
In response to Reply # 39

US

I downloaded your NEF but could not force the error. Nice image of a fox BTW

It seems the pop-up warning needs both your NEF and your machine to pop up with any regularity.

At a certain point it became clear it wasn't going to happen, certainly not as easily as it does on your machine. The notion of forcing it "reliably" faded away after adding the 65th CCP. I think your best bet for v2.3.2 is to hope to see it listed as a bug fix. Sorry things didn't work out.

FYI In Preferences I did have the box checked for "Keep All Steps Active in Edit List". Here's what I tried in CNX 2.3.0....

-edited a few of your CCPs
-added 5 CCPs to each of your three existing CCP edit steps
-added two more edit steps at the bottom of the edit list, with 5 CCPs each.
-saved the file under a different name, closed CNX
-opened the file in CNX and added 10 more CCPs to the edit steps I already added at the bottom.
-then copied & pasted those edit steps to the bottom of the list
-to the newly pasted edit steps I performed edits and added 5 new CCPs to each
</ popup too pooped to pop>

Regards,
Frank

gerphil Silver Member Charter MemberTue 21-Feb-12 06:44 AM
#41. "RE: Capture NX 2.3 pop-up temporary folder disk is full"
In response to Reply # 40

Haarlem, NL

Hi Frank,

Thank you very much for testing! You made your point .

I already noticed that after a compatibility patch of .Net Framework 4 (see above) the behavior improved on my machine. Where it used to trigger the pop-up straight when I tweaked the first CCP it then only did it after a few tweaks. It will indeed be a combination of machine and CNX2 that makes it behave differently on different machines.

I will await a new version of CN2 and may also give it anbother try after an update of .Net Framework 4 is released (which may also help).

Kind regards,
Gerphil

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #8046 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.