Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #802
View in linear mode

Subject: "View NX Problem" Previous topic | Next topic
recobb Registered since 08th Nov 2009Mon 16-Nov-09 10:25 AM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"View NX Problem"

US

Howdy,

I've been using ViewNX ever since it superseded Nikon View, and have always found it very useful. However, after the latest upgrade to 1.5 it has become nearly useless. On my wife's computer it would start to open, then give the 'sorry, we have to close this program' message. That was 'fixed' by uninstalling and going back to 1.3.

On my computer, it continues to work, but incredibly slow (opening the software requires a wait of at least a minute, as does changing a folder in the Folders view). It doesn't matter how many images are in a folder, and it used to be very fast (what would happen in less than a second before now takes up to a minute, or sometimes more).

It's only the thumbnail display main page that has a problem. Once I am viewing images full screen it works as it used to. But navigating the Explorer (folder view) is painful.

I have XP, SP2, and Capture NX2 installed. No problems with NX2. I have uninstalled both ViewNX and Capture NX2, and even used an uninstaller-cleaner to get rid of all traces (that it could find), then reinstalled, this time with v1.3 (which used to work fine, but was now extremely slow as well). Then upgraded to 1.5 again. I also updated the .NET software, and the Microsoft Visual C libraries (suggested on a website I found) No joy.

I use(d) ViewNX quite often, and I really hate to lose it. But I am out of ideas.

Thanks,

Richard Cobb

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

recobb Registered since 08th Nov 2009Tue 24-Nov-09 01:53 AM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: View NX Problem"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Well, we are partway there. I've been writing back and forth with Tech Support. A lot of useless directions (like upgrade to SP3, which I did, with no change), but also one that finally worked: uninstall ViewNX, then create a new administrator account, and install from that account.

That worked - partway. In that account ViewNX is very fast, almost instantaneous. But, when I go back to my regular account, it's still so slow it might as well have been dipped in tar and put in the freezer.

On the last few uninstalls (there have been many), I used a pretty handy uninstaller ( http://www.revouninstaller.com/ ), which runs the normal uninstaller, then searches for leftover traces that the application uninstaller did not find, and removes those. For ViewNX it found 116 registry entries the ViewNX uninstaller does not remove, as well as a number of files. But even with those removed, there is still something left in my regular account that is causing the problem.

I'm waiting for the next response from Nikon - I'm seriously hoping I don't need to switch users every time I want to use the program.

bobr Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Jun 2004Tue 24-Nov-09 03:16 PM
343 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: View NX Problem"
In response to Reply # 1

pitman, US

Hello Richard,

Welcome to Nikonians! I'm replying more so in sympathy than with a solution. I've had a number of unusual issues in the recent months involving both ViewNX and NX2, running on Vista, so far been able to remedy them with re-installs or tweaking Vista in some manner, but its been frustrating, although some of this has been due to my own attempts to speed up Vista. Other than Nikonians, there's very little information available on solving some of these quirks.
Just out of curiosity, since you created a new admin account, why wouldn't you just run every thing from there instead of going back to the old account with the glitch?

Bob

recobb Registered since 08th Nov 2009Tue 24-Nov-09 05:12 PM
#3. "RE: View NX Problem"
In response to Reply # 2

US

A couple of reasons:

1. A lot of work. This is the biggest reason. I have a lot of different apps, all with their own custom settings. Those custom settings are gone in the new account. In some cases, I even have to re-install the software license for certain apps. And put up with all the 'you are not registered, would you like to register now' notices, and on and on. I haven't looked into any 'migration' tools yet, perhaps they might make it easier (and/or import the problem...)

2. I shouldn't have to. Nikon Tech Support has walked away, saying there are 'so many' settings that it can't be figured out. Which means I may go through getting my new account all set up, only to have the same thing happen again. If I don't know what caused the problem in the first place, how do I know what might cause it to come again? I guess the answer to that is to try ViewNX after *every* change I make, but that will break down after awhile. So then I migrate a third/fourth/??? whatever time? I like reasons and answers, not wishing/hoping/crossing fingers!

I've been getting the impression, reinforced as time goes on, that Nikon does a sloppy job with it's software. The first time I noticed this was when I uninstalled NikonScan because of problems with it, then started poking around in the registry. I found several dozen NikonScan entries without even looking hard. Some uninstaller!! Most recently, running the uninstaller tool (referenced previously) on
ViewNX turned up 116(!!) leftover entries in the registry! Don't they even know what entries they write to the Registry?

I like what the software does, and that it is likely to be more compatible with any special settings, etc. on my Nikon cameras, but I'm starting to think that 'popping the hood' on the software would reveal a lot of oil leaks and dangling wires with loose connections

OK, rant over, I'll get over it!

cliddell Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Oct 2006Wed 25-Nov-09 05:18 PM
999 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: View NX Problem"
In response to Reply # 3

Pietermaritzburg, ZA

I am sorry you are having problems.

I have used Nikon programs exclusively for several years with no problems. Recently, I have even loaded ViewNX and CaptureNX onto a little NetBook computer for an upcoming trip to Australia and New Zealand and it seems to be working fine albeit slower than on my faster desk top machine...

I believe frequent deletes of the cache helps a lot.

Regards,
Clive Liddell
Pietermaritzburg
South Africa

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #802 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.