Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #8011
View in linear mode

Subject: "NX2 and Converting eyes back to natural black in CNX2" Previous topic | Next topic
ironwoodphoto Registered since 25th Jul 2011Wed 18-Jan-12 05:46 PM
28 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"NX2 and Converting eyes back to natural black in CNX2"

CA

I have several pictures of Flying Squirrels where, because I used Flash, I need to get their eyes from a translucent white back to black

How can I do it in CNX2?
I can upload a sample tomorrow if needed.

Tony

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: NX2 and Converting eyes back to natural black in CN...
rbaskin Silver Member
18th Jan 2012
ironwoodphoto
19th Jan 2012
rbaskin Silver Member
19th Jan 2012
ironwoodphoto
23rd Jan 2012
rbaskin Silver Member
23rd Jan 2012
robsb Platinum Member
20th Jan 2012
robsb Platinum Member
19th Jan 2012
ironwoodphoto
24th Jan 2012
reallifenow Platinum Member
11th Feb 2012

rbaskin Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Feb 2007Wed 18-Jan-12 10:21 PM
338 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: NX2 and Converting eyes back to natural black in CNX2"
In response to Reply # 0

Ridgefield, US

I've had some success with fixing my dog's green/gold flash reflection by using a color control point. I used the color picker option. In my dog's case, I found a tone of brown that came close.

If you upload a sample I can try and see what I can do.

Ralph in CT

ironwoodphoto Registered since 25th Jul 2011Thu 19-Jan-12 04:19 PM
28 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: NX2 and Converting eyes back to natural black in CNX2"
In response to Reply # 1

CA

>I've had some success with fixing my dog's green/gold flash
>reflection by using a color control point. I used the color
>picker option. In my dog's case, I found a tone of brown that
>came close.
>
>If you upload a sample I can try and see what I can do.
>
>Ralph in CT

As requested I have uploaded a sample.

Please let me know what happens

Tks

Tony

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

rbaskin Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Feb 2007Thu 19-Jan-12 11:20 PM
338 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: NX2 and Converting eyes back to natural black in CNX2"
In response to Reply # 3

Ridgefield, US

I used the +paintbrush and made it a colorize step. I picked black from the color picker.

I tried a color control point but it wouldn't go to black.

This is a very low-res sample and using the original would give you more pixels to get more accuracy.

Good luck.

Ralph in CT

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

ironwoodphoto Registered since 25th Jul 2011Mon 23-Jan-12 04:21 PM
#6. "RE: NX2 and Converting eyes back to natural black in CNX2"
In response to Reply # 4

CA

Hi Ralph,

I played with the original NEF file yesterday with great results.

I enlarged the picture in Capture and the used the +paintbrush to add black to the eye. This created a reddish eye, so I use the red eye control and the eye actually look close to normal.

Thanks for the advice

Tony

Tony

rbaskin Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Feb 2007Mon 23-Jan-12 11:06 PM
#7. "RE: NX2 and Converting eyes back to natural black in CNX2"
In response to Reply # 6

Ridgefield, US

Glad it worked out for you.

As Bob said, there are numerous ways to do this, so play around to see what works best for your situation.

Ralph in CT

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Fri 20-Jan-12 01:20 AM
12590 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#5. "RE: NX2 and Converting eyes back to natural black in CNX2"
In response to Reply # 3

San Jose, US

The image quickly get pixelated and unless you use the full res version, you will not get a satisfactory result. Colorize is the way to go but whe you focus on the eye you already see pixelation.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

"Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the
camera"

Retirement is a gift of time - Don't waste it!

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Thu 19-Jan-12 03:02 AM
12590 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#2. "RE: NX2 and Converting eyes back to natural black in CNX2"
In response to Reply # 0

San Jose, US

There are so many ways to do this. As pointed out a color Control correction point can do it, even using Auto Red Eye and then re selecting for a different color. I would suggest that the color control point might be the simplest and the I would save the steps for later use if you ever need to do it again.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

"Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the
camera"

Retirement is a gift of time - Don't waste it!

ironwoodphoto Registered since 25th Jul 2011Tue 24-Jan-12 12:52 AM
#8. "RE: NX2 and Converting eyes back to natural black in CNX2"
In response to Reply # 2

CA

Thanks to both of you for your suggestions.
They were helpful, especially with hte original Raw image.

Tony

Tony

reallifenow Platinum Member Nikonian since 03rd Sep 2010Sat 11-Feb-12 07:13 AM
16 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: NX2 and Converting eyes back to natural black in CNX2"
In response to Reply # 0

US

I just noticed your post and I thought I needed to to say that I have had a series of Southern Flying Squirrels for pets dating back to 1965 or so. They make excellent small mammal pets. Just ask Sir Walter Raleigh! He wrote very affectionately about the virtues of flying squirrels which were commonly kept as pets by the native Americans. He even took his own flying squirrel pets back to England where they were a big hit with the leisure society. He didn't cage his pet squirrels: he let them roam over his body, in and out of his pockets!

My current pet is named Joey and he is a bit over twelve years old! I got him in Dec 1999 which seems like yesterday to me but for him? Well, he is getting pretty old and decrepit and lately he sleeps about 23 hours a day. He is the oldest squirrel I have ever heard of so I guess my animal husbandry skills must be pretty good. I'll post a photo or two soon.

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #8011 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.