Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #7954
View in linear mode

Subject: "Nikon transfer naming images" Previous topic | Next topic
suzyk Silver Member Nikonian since 13th Dec 2011Sat 14-Jan-12 07:38 AM
1563 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Nikon transfer naming images"

near Hobart, AU

I don't know if I can explain this but I will try.

When I first transferred images to VNX using Transfer, I used the cameras numbering (DSC xxxx).

Then I got smart and renamed the images as I imported them but then the images appear in reverse order (eg 12-01-02 1 dsc99; 12-01-02 2 dsc98).

Does anyone know how I did this?

Is there any easy way to revert back to just the dsc number since it is included in the new image name?

This is not super important I am just interested to know what I did.

I am still playing with how best to store images - I think I will just go with the camera number when importing.

Thanks,
Suzy K

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources Charter MemberSun 15-Jan-12 02:18 AM
34635 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Nikon transfer naming images"
In response to Reply # 0

San Pedro Garza García, MX

Suzy,
Transfer doesn't transfer to ViewNX, but to a folder in your computer.
In ViewNX you you are viewing that folder's contents.
In what order you see the file names is up to your folder view settings ("sort by")
I would suggest you rename the files, once they are in your computer and not in the camera card.
ViewNX is 'expecting' file names as per the Nikon convention (that is probably another reason why the order was reversed) but reads them anyway.

Have a great time
JRP (Founder & Administrator. Nikonian at the north-eastern Mexican desert) Gallery, Brief Love Story, The Team
Join the Silver, Gold and Platinum members that help this happen; upgrade. Join your personal web site to the Nikonians WebRing
Make sure you check our workshops at The Nikonians Academy and the product catalog of the Photo Pro Shop

suzyk Silver Member Nikonian since 13th Dec 2011Sun 15-Jan-12 04:03 AM
1563 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Nikon transfer naming images"
In response to Reply # 1

near Hobart, AU

Thanks,

I am slowly getting my head around how all these things work. I agree it is best to leave camera's names when transferring.

Cheers,
Suzy K

Suzy K

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Sun 15-Jan-12 09:26 AM
8692 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Nikon transfer naming images"
In response to Reply # 0

Atlanta, US

Suzy

There is certainly no advantage to leaving files named as they came out of the camera. For me, that would be terribly confusing.

The reason they are in reverse order is because you selected them in reverse order. Probably what happened is you deselected everything - then you selected the last image, scrolled to the first image and holding the shift key, selected all. For some strange reason when you use the "shift select" approach it selects them in reverse.

I assume you have already deleted the original files. So you can't go back to the camera name.

The easiest way to deal with the issue is probably to put the images in Date Shot order, then select all and use the Convert command in View NX2. Under the Convert command you have the option to rename the files in almost the same manner as your original naming in Transfer.

As JRP suggests, I use a folder structure for my images. Each folder has a name similar to the underlying images. My images are named with the location, date, and a non-repeating sequential number. Since Transfer permits a 6-7 digit number, you don't ahve to worry about file names repeating the way you would if you maintain the camera default.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

suzyk Silver Member Nikonian since 13th Dec 2011Thu 19-Jan-12 01:24 PM
#4. "RE: Nikon transfer naming images"
In response to Reply # 3

near Hobart, AU

Thanks Eric,

As I said, I'm SLOWLY getting my head around all this stuff. The good thing is I have had fun taking photos these last few days and playing with CNX2. I really appreciate everyone's help. Hopefully I will be able to help others down the track.

Cheers,
Suzy K

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #7954 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.