Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #7944
View in linear mode

Subject: "Post Processing" Previous topic | Next topic
nevan Silver Member Nikonian since 25th Mar 2011Fri 13-Jan-12 01:48 PM
221 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Post Processing"

MU

Hi to all friends,
i'm glad to go around the site here and there and discover some forums today.i've been through some of the postings quickly,without any posts from me.

Then i realise that i have one question that could be posted as far as PP is concerned.
I'm not fond of PC and you may imagine of PP!I could go out taking shots all day long,but i would spent the least hour for PP.i'll be glad to see that i'm not the only one feeling like this!!!Anyone?

However,i know that this is the way life goes nowadays and i'm aware of the big big opportunities that digital photography offers.

My question is that,since i'm a Nikon user,is it better to use ViewNX or is Lightroom 2 ok?
In terms of rapidity and results?which one is better?Can we have a demo of ViewNX ?

I'm sometimes quite deceived to see my prints at the lab,because they do not look as great as they were on the lcd of my D700!Can i have some views about this also?
I would be glad to have your idea upon that question plz?Sorry if my post bothers you...
Regards
Ned

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Post Processing
gkaiseril Gold Member
13th Jan 2012
jrp Administrator
13th Jan 2012
nevan Silver Member
13th Jan 2012
mklass Platinum Member
13th Jan 2012
PAStime Silver Member
13th Jan 2012
Netadmin
13th Jan 2012
nevan Silver Member
15th Jan 2012
cliddell Silver Member
15th Jan 2012
robsb Platinum Member
17th Jan 2012
ericbowles Moderator
15th Jan 2012
nevan Silver Member
15th Jan 2012
SherpaW
24th Jan 2012
ericbowles Moderator
24th Jan 2012
SherpaW
24th Jan 2012
ericbowles Moderator
24th Jan 2012

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Fri 13-Jan-12 02:52 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Post Processing"
In response to Reply # 0

Chicago, US

It depends upon what you want to do. Many use both, especially in processing RAW images. Only Nikon software applies the actual camera setting when processing NEF files. Lightroom can apply preset adjustments but this is not the same as using the actual camera settings used when the image was taken. The Lightroom presets is very much like Nikon's Picture Controls.

Nikon Capture NX2 is the only program that can save edited NEF images as a NEF file and these changes are kept within the file. Many Adobe products create a "sidecar" file that is associated with the edited image, but this "sidecar" file and be moved or deleted and your edits could get lost.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources Charter MemberFri 13-Jan-12 03:22 PM
34617 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Post Processing"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri 13-Jan-12 03:27 PM by jrp

San Pedro Garza García, MX

Like you, I dislike post-processing (to put it mildly).
So I like to get it right in the camera. Then spend no more than two minutes finalizing it.

I use ViewNX2 to copy from the card into my image folders, view and catalog only.
Then open in Capture NX 2 and do my 2-minute thing on my RAW (NEF) files
That's it.

Adobe Lightroom 3 and Adobe Photoshop CS5.5 have made great process, but I still prefer the fidelity of the rendering in Capture NX 2, that automatically uses my camera settings of White Balance and Picture Controls.
So they look exactly as in my D700 LCD.

ViewNX2 is freeware.

Have a great time
JRP (Founder & Administrator. Nikonian at the north-eastern Mexican desert) Gallery, Brief Love Story, The Team
Join the Silver, Gold and Platinum members that help this happen; upgrade. Join your personal web site to the Nikonians WebRing
Make sure you check our workshops at The Nikonians Academy and the product catalog of the Photo Pro Shop

nevan Silver Member Nikonian since 25th Mar 2011Fri 13-Jan-12 05:25 PM
221 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Post Processing"
In response to Reply # 2

MU

Thanks for your kind replies guys.
Now you have clarified things for me and you can't imagine how much.I know what i have to do now-try to get myself a Capture,and do you have any idea where i could procure one at a cheap cost?
I would highly appreciate your suggestions.
Regards
Ned

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Fri 13-Jan-12 10:24 PM
5962 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Post Processing"
In response to Reply # 3
Fri 13-Jan-12 10:40 PM by mklass

Tacoma, US

Generally, you don't find Capture NX2 at much of a discount, and whe you do, it may be a pirated version that you can't register and upgrade. Buy it from a reputable source to be sure you will get the benefits of owning a legal version.

You can buy it from the Nikon website. Also check Amazon, B&H, Adorama and such. You also might want to look into Nik Color Efex 3 for Capture NX2. It is the only plug-in for CNX2, but it is a good one.

Mick
www.mickklassphoto.com
or
Visit my nikonians gallery

PAStime Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Feb 2009Fri 13-Jan-12 10:25 PM
2670 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Post Processing"
In response to Reply # 3

Kingston, CA

>Capture,and do you have any idea where i could procure one at
>a cheap cost?

Hi Ned. I don't know where you can by capture nx2 at a cheap price. I do want to caution you about resellers who sell it at very attractive prices and the users later find out during an upgrade that they have a blacklisted serial number. There was some comments about this on Nikonians some time in the past year or so. Peter

Netadmin Registered since 16th Apr 2011Fri 13-Jan-12 11:38 PM
99 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Post Processing"
In response to Reply # 5
Fri 13-Jan-12 11:40 PM by Netadmin

Fenwick, CA

If you visit http://www.luminescentphoto.com/ (Dr. Jason ODell), you will find a link that will get you a 15% discount when you purchase from NIK Software. The link is on the home page next to the section entitled "Jason's Recommended Gear".
I purchased my copy of Capture NX2 through that link, and received a license key by email, which then enabled me to register the 60-day trial version which is obtainable through Nikon's website.

Mods: I hope it's OK to provide a link to Dr. J's website. If not, I apologize and please feel free to remove this post.

Vince

nevan Silver Member Nikonian since 25th Mar 2011Sun 15-Jan-12 08:47 AM
#7. "RE: Post Processing"
In response to Reply # 5

MU

Thanks to you Vince,Peter and Mick for your precious hints and guidance.

Following these,i'll try to obtain a Capture.Of course,i got one when i bought my D300 but the Nef files from the D700 are not opened.

I think it's not really wise to work in Raw with D700, convert to jpeg with Lightroom and reopen in Capture!Is it?Some valuable details will be lost,am i right?

With Capture, i'll miss the working speed of using Lightroom-specially if you have to process a bundle of 300 to 400 pics !On counterpart,i'll get the quality of image while using Capture.

Thanks for sharing your experience guys.

Ned

cliddell Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Oct 2006Sun 15-Jan-12 09:53 AM
999 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Post Processing"
In response to Reply # 7

Pietermaritzburg, ZA

Hi Ned,

If you download the free Nikon ViewNX2 software then, either using the built in Nikon Transfer facility or simply cut and paste from your card you end up with your RAW images displayed in the ViewNX2 browser.

From there you can carry out quite a comprehensive set of edits which get saved into the NEF file or, as JRP suggested above, use CaptureNX2 to do the edits which also get saved into the NEF file. Either way you still end up with just one NEF file per image.

I find that it is only a small percentage of shots that I need the greater editing power of CaptureNX2 but either way I would like to support JRP's statement that about 2 minutes is all you should spend on touching up a difficult image and this is easily done with the suggested Nikon software above.

Note that all the above has been done and you still are working with only the RAW file(s).

For JPG output (if necessary) I usually select and mark the RAW images (star or number) and copy the marked images to a "processing folder" where a CNX2 batch file can be used to process the selected RAW images and create JPG image files of the desired size and quality.

A person is going to want to browse and view the images just downloaded so my method is to edit (where necessary) keepers immediately (or mark them for later edit).

Regards,
Clive Liddell
Pietermaritzburg
South Africa

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Tue 17-Jan-12 06:41 AM
12818 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#11. "RE: Post Processing"
In response to Reply # 7

San Jose, US

If youi got a licensed copy of Captue NX2 with your D300 and registered it, you don't need to buy a new copy for the D700, you only need to download the latest versions and enter the product key from your old copy. I own Photoshop CS5 Extended but do all my RAW processing in CNX2.3, especially since it now supports 64 bit OS.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

"Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the
camera"

Retirement is a gift of time - Don't waste it!

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Sun 15-Jan-12 09:52 AM
8687 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Post Processing"
In response to Reply # 0

Atlanta, US

Just to clarify your original question - View NX2 is a free NEF converter and editor provided by Nikon. It contains Nikon Transfer, an embedded free utility program used to download images and name them if desired.

Both the latest versions of Capture NX2 and Lightroom 3 are full function editors. Either can be used by a skilled user to edit 95-99% of your images. There are pros and cons on each.

View NX2 is similar to Capture in many respects. It allows most edits applied globally - that is to the entire image. With NEF files you can change many camera settings such as White Balance, Exposure, and Picture Control. It does a nice job with color, contrast, and recovering shadows and protecting highlights. And it easily converts NEF files to JPEGs. I find some editing steps can be a little coarse - like Sharpening and D-Lighting. I only use View for editing when I need speed on a large number of iamges - such as for an event or to get a few quick edits on images to be posted on Facebook.

Capture NX2 has the added benefit of a number of features developed by partner Nik Software. Control points are a great benefit in selective editing. There are a number of other editing capabilities - and most of them can be applied selectively - just to the specific part of the image you desire.

Capture is for editing a small number of images where you want to take the time for a detailed edit. It is very fast and relatively intuitive compared to Photoshop. Both Nikon View and Capture render images using the camera settings rather than an interpretation of those settings or ignoring them. And Capture is extremely effective in file handling - there is one image file, all edits are reversible on NEF files, you can create versions of the same file, and all this is stored as one image only slightly larger than your original camera file.

Lightroom is a good product. For an Adobe centric workflow it is the recommendation of most. Lightroom is first and foremost a browser and organizer with some editng functions. Rather than folders, it handles image organization using a database. For edits, it is far easier to use and faster than Photoshop. Like Capture, it can be used for 95-98% of your likely editing needs. There are some advances with Lightroom 3, and Lightroom 4 is in Beta now about to be released. Lightroom works well with most plugins including those from Nik - Color Efex and Silver Efex.

For me, I like the ability of Capture NX2 and View NX2 to edit camera settings. I find Capture to be very intuitive once you learn how it works. Most of the selection controls are excellent. And the file structure to efficiently store edits and versions works very well for me.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

nevan Silver Member Nikonian since 25th Mar 2011Sun 15-Jan-12 11:43 AM
#10. "RE: Post Processing"
In response to Reply # 8

MU

Thanks to you Eric and thanks a lot to you Clive for sharing your point of view,showing a lot about your mastering of the digital processing.I do hope that others around have been able to get the point and would be able to get the most of the conversations.
For that ,i'm grateful to all who contributed to that post.

Credit to all Nikonians.
Ned

SherpaW Registered since 09th Jan 2012Tue 24-Jan-12 07:37 AM
13 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: Post Processing"
In response to Reply # 10

IT

Just bought my first DSLR (D7000) after a long time passed with films and slides.
I dislike "hard" post-processing too, just shared Flickr and I was surprised by such huge amount of "artificious" images which are posted, so I am interested in this thread and I like some comments.
After I did my first "digital-shoot" I tried to approach with View NX, it looks easy to use but I wonder which is the difference respect Capture, is it able to do little things like create frames, delete spots and so on ?
Then, because I love B/W, do I need any special plug-in to do that ?

Thank you

Walter
Italy

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Tue 24-Jan-12 04:21 PM
8687 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: Post Processing"
In response to Reply # 12

Atlanta, US

Walter

I'd start with View NX2 for several reasons. It's free is a good one. It also allows you to manipulate picture control settings during post processing in order to know how to best set up your camera to your preferred look. Most of the View NX2 settings are available in Capture NX2. With a RAW image, you can select a Monochrome Picture Control and create a B&W image. I try to avoid using View for Sharpening or D-Lighting even though I like those techniques in Capture (because the settings in View are to coarse).
Capture has two big enhancements over View. It does everything you can do in View. It offers a great deal more control in your editing. You can fine tune settings or apply them selectively. One of the selective tools - control points - is very handly. Capture has a "healing" function used to remove dust spots, power lines, and small clutter. It does not have capabilities for frames or watermarks. And for B&W, it provides a lot more capability including the ability to change colors or color filters and apply B&W selectively in multiple steps.

Capture is used for almost all the images in my gallery. I use View for high volume work (like events), as my image browser, for rating images, and for deciding which images I want to edit and print. I use Capture for anything posted to my website or printed.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

SherpaW Registered since 09th Jan 2012Tue 24-Jan-12 10:16 PM
13 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: Post Processing"
In response to Reply # 13

IT

Thank you Eric for your clarifications, I would only understand, now, how View is used to do such massive work as you said, are there batches or script to edit which can be applied simoulteneously ?

txs again

walter

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Tue 24-Jan-12 10:33 PM
#15. "RE: Post Processing"
In response to Reply # 14

Atlanta, US

Well there are several options in using View for large numbers of images. If you want to batch process, only Capture has a true batch function. But the question really is around your output.

When I shoot events, I am typically looking to either turn around all images with no editing or to make selections of potential published images and provide just those selections. In the first case, I attempt to "get it right in camerae". That means I intend to optimize camera settings and will typically just produce JPEGs. If I shoot RAW, I might tweak a few images, but normally I simply run the Convert command and convert the NEF images to JPEG in teh sizing and quality required.
In the second case, I use View to rate all images using the Star rating, then identify Selects using the Color code. I might do some light edits in View to the selects only. Then as before, I can use the convert command to create JPEG files.
If I have a simple edit to be applied to multiple images, I simply highlight and select all those images and then make my edit. An example is White Balance.
I have processed as many as 500 images using the Convert command. I have also taken a similar number of images, rated and identified selects, and created web images for 10-25 images within an hour.
Once you edit an image in Capture it cannot be "converted" in View. So I try hard to avoid any Capture edits ina View workflow.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #7944 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.