Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #787
View in linear mode

Subject: "Feed UP with Nikon transfer and View NX" Previous topic | Next topic
doc85 Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Jul 2008Wed 25-Nov-09 07:36 PM
395 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Feed UP with Nikon transfer and View NX"

West Lafayette, US

I find I am spending half my time fussing around in View NX trying to make it run right. I have deleted it and reinstalled it a dozen times, no better. Transfer will not open automatically anymore and it will not open View NX after it downloads from the camera card.
Holly Molly is there some better software around for this purpose?

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Feed UP with Nikon transfer and View NX
TiggerGTO Silver Member
26th Nov 2009
doc85 Silver Member
26th Nov 2009
TiggerGTO Silver Member
26th Nov 2009
doc85 Silver Member
26th Nov 2009
esantos Moderator
26th Nov 2009
Baaker Silver Member
27th Nov 2009
doc85 Silver Member
27th Nov 2009
doc85 Silver Member
27th Nov 2009
F1 Fan
27th Nov 2009
TXCiclista
27th Nov 2009
doc85 Silver Member
27th Nov 2009
cliddell Silver Member
27th Nov 2009

TiggerGTO Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Feb 2006Thu 26-Nov-09 12:40 AM
2258 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Feed UP with Nikon transfer and View NX"
In response to Reply # 0

Apex, US

It is not cheap, but Photo Mechanic from Camera Bits is the best software there is for the task that View NX is meant to do. It is very fast, flexible and is great for applying metadata in bulk or on individual photos. The developers are very active on their forums and very responsive to problem reports and feature requests. They are currently working on a cataloging software. Oh yeah... it also works extremely well in conjunction with Capture NX2. In fact if it wasn't for PM, I would have given up on NX2 a long time ago.

Danny
A Nikonian in North Carolina

doc85 Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Jul 2008Thu 26-Nov-09 01:57 AM
395 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Feed UP with Nikon transfer and View NX"
In response to Reply # 1

West Lafayette, US

Sounds good.
Is PSE 7 any good for this?

TiggerGTO Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Feb 2006Thu 26-Nov-09 02:15 PM
2258 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Feed UP with Nikon transfer and View NX"
In response to Reply # 2

Apex, US

You are sort of comparing apples to oranges. View NX and Photo Mechanic are programs used to ingest (download) images, edit metadata,browse and view images and launch other programs to edit the photos. View NX has some limited editing capabilities (I think), but it is really more of a browser. If you are familiar with Adobe's Bridge. PSE7 is a limited version of Photoshop and is a pixel editor.

Danny
A Nikonian in North Carolina

doc85 Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Jul 2008Thu 26-Nov-09 02:46 PM
#4. "RE: Feed UP with Nikon transfer and View NX"
In response to Reply # 3

West Lafayette, US

Didn't make that very clear.
PSE7 has a browser that lets you use the Organizer to add photos and videos to a Photoshop Elements catalog. It seems to work much like Photo Mechanic. I wondered how it might compare to PM as a browser.

esantos Moderator Nikonians Resources Writer. Recognized for his outstanding reviews on printers and printing articles. Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas, including Landscape Photography Awarded for his extraordinary accomplishments in Landscape Photography. His work has been exhibited at the Smithsonian. Nikonian since 10th Nov 2002Thu 26-Nov-09 02:58 PM
11670 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Feed UP with Nikon transfer and View NX"
In response to Reply # 4
Thu 26-Nov-09 03:00 PM by esantos

McAllen, US

Photoshop and Photoshop Elements have Adobe Bridge which is an image browser, raw file converter, and organizer. You can do some meta data editing and also tag images for ranking and categorizing. It is not a full fledged image database/cataloging program. For this, Photo Mechanic and Adobe Lightroom are very popular choices with Lightroom being a full blown image development tool. In contrast, Photoshop is, as Danny points out, a pixel editor which means it has a full array of tools to make very specific or targeted edits as well as global changes. Lightroom does not have this capability.

Ernesto Santos
esartprints.com Ernesto Santos Photography

Baaker Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Aug 2009Fri 27-Nov-09 08:04 AM
923 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Feed UP with Nikon transfer and View NX"
In response to Reply # 5

Dumbarton, GB

This might do the trick?

http://www.faststone.org/FSViewerDetail.htm

http://www.flickr.com/photos/43019448@N04/

doc85 Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Jul 2008Fri 27-Nov-09 02:59 PM
#10. "RE: Feed UP with Nikon transfer and View NX"
In response to Reply # 6

West Lafayette, US

I downloaded Faststone and it is pretty nice. Price is good also. I liked the fact that I can edit in an advanced program if I wish.

doc85 Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Jul 2008Fri 27-Nov-09 03:03 PM
#11. "RE: Feed UP with Nikon transfer and View NX"
In response to Reply # 1

West Lafayette, US

I downloaded the trial version. It is just what I need, but the price is too high right now. Some of the other free programs others have suggested are fine, and I will probably go with one of them for the time being. Thanks for you help.

F1 Fan Registered since 12th Jan 2007Fri 27-Nov-09 11:09 AM
484 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Feed UP with Nikon transfer and View NX"
In response to Reply # 0

St. Louis, US

Like Danny, I too use Photo Mechanic for ingesting and browsing. I also agree without it, NX2 would not be my primary editing tool.
I also agree with the support from them. I had one question last year and they responded within an hour. I was amazed with the speed and the detail in the response. Usually a response from software people requires a much longer wait. Perhaps it was a slow day for them and I was the only person with a question.

As for the cost, I feel it has saved me more than enough time over the years to be worth much more than what I payed. When Photo Mechanic comes out with a competitive cataloging program, you can bet it will be very good and I will have very little reason to use any thing else other than PM and NX2 in combination.

Mark,
www.MarkHornePhotography.com

Life is short. Live it as an Exclamation, not an Explanation.

TXCiclista Registered since 15th May 2006Fri 27-Nov-09 02:31 PM
1791 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Feed UP with Nikon transfer and View NX"
In response to Reply # 0

Fort Worth, US

It's "Holy Moly." Unless, of course, you mean the women who sells Christmas greenery.

As for Nikon's software, I don't know if you're Windows or Mac, but Nikon now says end of Dec 09 and Jan 10 for updated versions. perhaps this will be a multiple-platform release and will fix all our problems. Perhaps.

-----
This is my Nikon. There are many like it, but this one is mine!

doc85 Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Jul 2008Fri 27-Nov-09 02:55 PM
#9. "RE: Feed UP with Nikon transfer and View NX"
In response to Reply # 8
Fri 27-Nov-09 02:59 PM by doc85

West Lafayette, US

You are right of course about Moly, but the world could use a few more Holy Mollys.

It will be interesting to find out if Nikon's new software is an improvement. I would prefer to use Nikon all the way if it was reliable.

cliddell Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Oct 2006Fri 27-Nov-09 06:08 PM
999 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: Feed UP with Nikon transfer and View NX"
In response to Reply # 9

Pietermaritzburg, ZA

I use only Nikon software and find that ViewNX is an excellent browser for CaptureNX. VNX does such a lot of RAW editing that it is easier to say what it cannot do ie. cropping, selective editing and of course things like abberation correction and lens correction etc.

Any edits done on RAW images in VNX is reflected when the image is opened in CNX (in the Camera settings and Quick fix settings) so I generally only pass images to CNX that require cropping, selective editing or more intensive editing.

Oh, and VNX is free from you local Nikon URL...

Regards,
Clive Liddell
Pietermaritzburg
South Africa

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #787 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.