nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Print Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS Post-Processing & Workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Software (Public) topic #7833
View in linear mode

Subject: "cep 3 and cnx2, 2.2.8" Previous topic | Next topic
boblin Silver Member  Lincoln, US  Nikonian since 01st Jul 2010 Thu 05-Jan-12 12:17 AM
135 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"cep 3 and cnx2, 2.2.8"

I presently have cnx and now cnx 2 on my windows 7 64 bit , computer. I just purchased a copy of cep 3 that states on the box that it is compatible with adobe lightroom 2.3 or later, some other adobe products and cnx 2.
From what I have read on the forums here and on nik plug-ins, there is a certain way to do installations without fouling up cnx 2. I see that I will have to upgrade cep 3, once installed, to a newer version and have some understanding that cnx 2 doesn't always ask if you want to keep the computer using 32 bit when upgrading cnx 2 so that the cep 3 program can
be used within cnx 2. I also need to upgrade my viewnx 2 since transfer is now in it and there is an upgrade.
Can someone give me a step by step installation starting with the fact that I presently have cnx 2 and viewnx 2 (neither upgraded yet), installed but cep 3 waiting to be installed.
As touchy as cnx 2 seems to be, I want to do it right the first time.
Thanks

Alert Print | Reply | Quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: cep 3 and cnx2, 2.2.8 rbaskin Silver Member
05th Jan 2012
Reply message RE: cep 3 and cnx2, 2.2.8 Gromit44
05th Jan 2012
Reply message RE: cep 3 and cnx2, 2.2.8 boblin Silver Member
06th Jan 2012
Reply message RE: cep 3 and cnx2, 2.2.8 boblin Silver Member
06th Jan 2012
Reply message RE: cep 3 and cnx2, 2.2.8 Nikon300Bob Silver Member
21st Feb 2012
     Reply message RE: cep 3 and cnx2, 2.2.8 davidd1833 Silver Member
21st Feb 2012
21st Feb 2012
21st Feb 2012
21st Feb 2012
21st Feb 2012
21st Feb 2012
21st Feb 2012
22nd Feb 2012
22nd Feb 2012
22nd Feb 2012
22nd Feb 2012
22nd Feb 2012
22nd Feb 2012
22nd Feb 2012
                                             Reply message RE: cep 3 and cnx2, 2.2.8 leebaylin Silver Member
22nd Feb 2012
22nd Feb 2012
22nd Feb 2012
22nd Feb 2012
22nd Feb 2012
22nd Feb 2012
22nd Feb 2012
23rd Feb 2012
Reply message RE: cep 3 and cnx2, 2.2.8 robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Donor Ribbon awarded for his enthusiastic and repeated support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
23rd Feb 2012
24th Feb 2012
24th Feb 2012
24th Feb 2012
27th Feb 2012

rbaskin Silver Member  Ridgefield, US  Nikonian since 05th Feb 2007 Thu 05-Jan-12 01:39 AM
361 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: cep 3 and cnx2, 2.2.8"
In response to Reply # 0

It sounds like you have Color Efex Pro Complete Edition (although mine says it's for Photoshop, Aperture and Capture NX2). The CD should have 2 license keys, 1 for Capture NX2 and 1 for the other programs.

If you haven't upgraded NX2 to 2.3 yet, I'd install your copy of Color Efex Pro, ensure that it works with 2.2.8 and register your copy of Color Efex at Niksoftware.com, creating an account.

Once you have an account w/Nik, you can go to your account and see the registered copy for NX2 and will be given the option of downloading the update to 3.003 which you will need to run with NX2 2.3. It will ask for the license code on your CD when you upgrade.

Run the 3.003 exe file to upgrade Color Efex Pro, then download Capture NX2 2.3 and upgrade NX2. From what I've read, it seems that with Color Efex Pro installed on your system the NX2 upgrade goes directly to a 32bit install, not providing the 64bit choice.

You may have to provide prior NX2 (and possibly NX) license codes depending on how you purchased/upgraded NX2 and whether you still have NX installed on your computer. I still have NX on my computer, had purchased an upgrade to NX2 when it came out and was never asked for my NX license code. Your experience may vary.

Hope this helps.

Ralph in CT

Gromit44   UK  Registered since 04th Jan 2012 Thu 05-Jan-12 03:45 PM
702 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: cep 3 and cnx2, 2.2.8"
In response to Reply # 1

>From what I've read, it seems that with Color Efex Pro installed on your system the NX2 upgrade goes directly to a 32bit install, not
>providing the 64bit choice.

Not in every case - I had CEP3 installed with v2.2.8 and the NX2.3 upgrade gave the 64bit option as well.

boblin Silver Member  Lincoln, US  Nikonian since 01st Jul 2010 Fri 06-Jan-12 02:51 AM
135 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: cep 3 and cnx2, 2.2.8"
In response to Reply # 2

Thanks, Gromit44

boblin Silver Member  Lincoln, US  Nikonian since 01st Jul 2010 Fri 06-Jan-12 02:49 AM
#3. "RE: cep 3 and cnx2, 2.2.8"
In response to Reply # 1

Thanks for the info, Ralph. Now I am waiting for Nik to tell me where I can find the 3.0.0.3 update to download. Support said it would be a few days to respond because of heavy load for CEP 4. It seems that they are not as open on CEP 3 any longer.
We were both at the Eastern Sierra workshop. I like your photos in that gallery. I haven't posted yet.

Bob

Nikon300Bob Silver Member  VANCOUVER, CA  Nikonian since 08th Sep 2009 Tue 21-Feb-12 09:11 PM
139 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#5. "RE: cep 3 and cnx2, 2.2.8"
In response to Reply # 3

I just purchased the Nik Color Efex Pro 3.0 and Nikon Capture NX 2 Bundle from ImageMixer. The latest version of Nik Color Efex Pro is 3.0.0.4 which works with version 2.2.8 of NX2.

How do you know if you have 32 or 64 bit versions installed? If these are 32 bit versions how do I upgrade to 64 bit versions?

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

davidd1833 Silver Member  Sydney, AU  Nikonian since 26th Feb 2006 Tue 21-Feb-12 09:25 PM
446 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: cep 3 and cnx2, 2.2.8"
In response to Reply # 5
Tue 21-Feb-12 09:26 PM by davidd1833

Oh dear, Imagemixer is NOT an authorised dealer, and your activation keys will be rejected by Nikon, either now or some time in the future. Try and get your money back immediately, this is a SCAM website.

Search on Imagemixer on this site or many many others (including the Nikon site)for confirmation of this

David

My Gallery

Nikon300Bob Silver Member  VANCOUVER, CA  Nikonian since 08th Sep 2009 Tue 21-Feb-12 09:46 PM
139 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#7. "RE: cep 3 and cnx2, 2.2.8"
In response to Reply # 6

>Oh dear, Imagemixer is NOT an authorised dealer, and your
>activation keys will be rejected by Nikon, either now or some
>time in the future. Try and get your money back immediately,
>this is a SCAM website.
>
>Search on Imagemixer on this site or many many others
>(including the Nikon site)for confirmation of this

That is disturbing news! I have requested a refund but doubt they will comply since it is a scam. Why have they not been shut down?

Nikon300Bob Silver Member  VANCOUVER, CA  Nikonian since 08th Sep 2009 Tue 21-Feb-12 10:03 PM
#8. "RE: cep 3 and cnx2, 2.2.8"
In response to Reply # 7

I called my credit card company but they cannot help me because the activation codes work.

davidd1833 Silver Member  Sydney, AU  Nikonian since 26th Feb 2006 Tue 21-Feb-12 10:43 PM
446 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: cep 3 and cnx2, 2.2.8"
In response to Reply # 8

Yes, they will work for a short while, till Nikon realises that they are illegal, then they will disable them.

Nikon know about this site, they warn against it on their site. Why they have not done something to shut it down I don't know. I sent a query to Nikon Canada, Nikon USA and Nikon Austalia, and was told they are looking into it. I also file a report with the Canadian Anti-Fraud squad, but nothing seems to have happened.

See this link

http://support.nikonusa.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/16891/~/dealer-not-authorized-to-sell-nikon-products---imagemixer

David

My Gallery

Nikon300Bob Silver Member  VANCOUVER, CA  Nikonian since 08th Sep 2009 Tue 21-Feb-12 11:56 PM
#12. "RE: cep 3 and cnx2, 2.2.8"
In response to Reply # 9

I filed a report via e-mail with the Better Business Bureau this afternoon. I will see what their response is when their offices open tomorrow morning.

Nikon300Bob Silver Member  VANCOUVER, CA  Nikonian since 08th Sep 2009 Tue 21-Feb-12 10:44 PM
#10. "RE: cep 3 and cnx2, 2.2.8"
In response to Reply # 7

I got this reply from ImageMixer ...

Product keys for Nikon products are manually processed with a prominent retailer through Commission Junction. In no way are they duplicated, pirated or illegal. Your purchase entitles you to any future upgrades or updates released by Nikon.

I also was given the Nikon & Nik links to the 64 bit versions of NX2 and Efex Pro 3. I successfully installed the 64 bit versions. The product keys were accepted for both programs.

So, I think I am OK.

davidd1833 Silver Member  Sydney, AU  Nikonian since 26th Feb 2006 Tue 21-Feb-12 10:58 PM
#11. "RE: cep 3 and cnx2, 2.2.8"
In response to Reply # 10

For now...

Google 'Nikon Imagemixer' and see what you get.

David

My Gallery

davidd1833 Silver Member  Sydney, AU  Nikonian since 26th Feb 2006 Wed 22-Feb-12 12:02 AM
#13. "RE: cep 3 and cnx2, 2.2.8"
In response to Reply # 11

My advice is to keep pressuring Imagemixer. Threaten them with any legal procedure you can think of. I know several people (including myself) eventually got a full refund by persevering.

David

My Gallery

Nikon300Bob Silver Member  VANCOUVER, CA  Nikonian since 08th Sep 2009 Wed 22-Feb-12 02:19 AM
#14. "RE: cep 3 and cnx2, 2.2.8"
In response to Reply # 13

>My advice is to keep pressuring Imagemixer. Threaten them
>with any legal procedure you can think of. I know several
>people (including myself) eventually got a full refund by
>persevering.

Thanks. I sent them another e-mail informing them that I have informed the Better Business Bureau of British Columbia about what amounts to fraud and that if I do not get a full refund I will be taking legal action.

Nikon300Bob Silver Member  VANCOUVER, CA  Nikonian since 08th Sep 2009 Wed 22-Feb-12 02:36 AM
#15. "RE: cep 3 and cnx2, 2.2.8"
In response to Reply # 13

For now would you advise me to remove the Imagemixer copies of the software from my computer and get a legitimate versions from Nikon and Nik Software. I don't want to get in trouble with Nikon. They are a good company and I certainly did not intended to defraud them in any way by installing illegal software on my computer! I only buy their equipment from authorized dealers.

davidd1833 Silver Member  Sydney, AU  Nikonian since 26th Feb 2006 Wed 22-Feb-12 02:58 AM
#16. "RE: cep 3 and cnx2, 2.2.8"
In response to Reply # 15

Hi

for what it's worth you can probably use it in the meantime, but you should arrange to get a legitimate version as soon as possible. It will avoid any future problems. I think Nikon is partially at fault here, because they do not seem to be doing anything to shut down Imagemixer, in spite of knowing about them and their fraudulent sales for a long time. They appear to just punish the unwary buyer, not the fraudulent seller.

Just keep at Imagemixer, and ignore any apparent threats they may make to you, about counter legal action, or any protestations of innocence. Imagemixer consists of one just man in an office, although they might send emails signed by various different people.

David

My Gallery

Nikon300Bob Silver Member  VANCOUVER, CA  Nikonian since 08th Sep 2009 Wed 22-Feb-12 04:52 AM
#17. "RE: cep 3 and cnx2, 2.2.8"
In response to Reply # 16

I found a legitimate dealer for Capture NX2 close to my home. Nikon Canada does not sell it on line.

Do you know of a legitimate on-line dealer for Color Efex 3 for Capture NX2.

davidd1833 Silver Member  Sydney, AU  Nikonian since 26th Feb 2006 Wed 22-Feb-12 05:00 AM
#18. "RE: cep 3 and cnx2, 2.2.8"
In response to Reply # 17

Try uninstalling CEP, and then install it without entering a key (run as a demo). I think there is then the option to 'Purchase the Software', so you can buy it from Nik online, and get a new key.

David

My Gallery

Nikon300Bob Silver Member  VANCOUVER, CA  Nikonian since 08th Sep 2009 Wed 22-Feb-12 05:26 AM
#19. "RE: cep 3 and cnx2, 2.2.8"
In response to Reply # 18

>Try uninstalling CEP, and then install it without entering a
>key (run as a demo). I think there is then the option to
>'Purchase the Software', so you can buy it from Nik online,
>and get a new key.
>
>
Yes, there is "Purchase" tab, but it takes you to a page on the Nik website, "product not available anymore"!

It was this problem that lead me to Imagemixer in the first place!

leebaylin Silver Member  Baltimore, US  Charter Member Wed 22-Feb-12 03:22 PM
827 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#20. "RE: cep 3 and cnx2, 2.2.8"
In response to Reply # 19

B&H has color efex complete in a box for $127. Grab one. The deal with Nik is that once you register, email them and they will give you the code to register the NX2 version. Also, since your purchase is after August 2011, you get a free upgrade to version 4.0. It does not integrate with NX2, but you can use the lightroom version as a standalone.

Also, I recommend you press your credit card company harder. Gather all of the evidence from the web and mail it to them. Keep a copy. then later, if your keys get deactivated, you will be able to reopen the case for a refund.

Lee Baylin

Nikon300Bob Silver Member  VANCOUVER, CA  Nikonian since 08th Sep 2009 Wed 22-Feb-12 04:25 PM
#21. "RE: cep 3 and cnx2, 2.2.8"
In response to Reply # 20

This morning I got this e-mail from ImageMixer ..

The comments for your order are

Refunded in full

Your order has been updated to the following status.

New status: Refunded

Thank you to all for your help in this matter, particularly to David whose advice to be persistent got the desired result!

Today I am picking up a legal copy from a local authorized Nikon dealer.

davidd1833 Silver Member  Sydney, AU  Nikonian since 26th Feb 2006 Wed 22-Feb-12 09:03 PM
#22. "RE: cep 3 and cnx2, 2.2.8"
In response to Reply # 21

Good result!

David

My Gallery

Nikon300Bob Silver Member  VANCOUVER, CA  Nikonian since 08th Sep 2009 Wed 22-Feb-12 09:26 PM
#23. "RE: cep 3 and cnx2, 2.2.8"
In response to Reply # 22

All the time spent yesterday was well worth it, even though I went to bed a bit frustrated at all the "wasted time" and at being scammed!

I purchased a hard copy of Capture NX2 from a local Nikon camera dealer this morning. The good is it came with Color Efex 3.0 and Nikon Transfer, which makes the price much lower than what I paid for the illegal NX2-Efex3 bundle from ImageMixer (CA$223 vs US$280). So a win, win. I am now a very happy camper.

The only negative, the hard copy does not give me the option to install the 64 bit version and there seems to be no way to upgrade it.

leebaylin Silver Member  Baltimore, US  Charter Member Wed 22-Feb-12 09:29 PM
827 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#24. "RE: cep 3 and cnx2, 2.2.8"
In response to Reply # 23

Now that you have a legit key, you can use it on the 64-bit version downloaded from the Nikon web sire.

Lee Baylin

davidd1833 Silver Member  Sydney, AU  Nikonian since 26th Feb 2006 Wed 22-Feb-12 09:30 PM
#25. "RE: cep 3 and cnx2, 2.2.8"
In response to Reply # 23
Wed 22-Feb-12 09:34 PM by davidd1833

Just download and install the 64 bit version, your activation key from the box version will work. If you haven't yet installed it, don't bother installing the version from disc, only the key is required. Just install the 64 bit version from scratch.

To recap, uninstall everything (NX2 and CEP).

Install the 64 bit NX2, and activate it using your new legal key.

Install the 64 bit version of CEP3 , and activate it using the key from the new boxed version.

Enjoy!

David

My Gallery

Nikon300Bob Silver Member  VANCOUVER, CA  Nikonian since 08th Sep 2009 Wed 22-Feb-12 09:38 PM
#26. "RE: cep 3 and cnx2, 2.2.8"
In response to Reply # 25
Thu 23-Feb-12 12:32 AM by Nikon300Bob

I tried uninstalling the one from the box and installing the one from the Nikon's site but it did give me the 64 bit option for some reason and I lost Color Efex 3 (I guess I could copy the product key for it before uninstalling NX2 ... they seem to be tied together since the key is inputted automatically). Maybe I should try the downloads from Nik software for both NX2 and Color Efex.

Color Efex 3.0 Complete is built right into the boxed version of NX2. It is not a separate plug-in.

Nikon300Bob Silver Member  VANCOUVER, CA  Nikonian since 08th Sep 2009 Thu 23-Feb-12 03:06 AM
#27. "RE: cep 3 and cnx2, 2.2.8"
In response to Reply # 26

I just received the following e-mail ...

Hello Bob,

Thank you for your email.

We've processed a full refund back to you. You should see the refund amount
credited to your credit balance in the next few days.

Please uninstall your current version of Nikon Capture NX 2 software by
following the instructions on the following page:

http://support.nikonusa.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/16615/~/how-do-i-completely-remove-my-nikon-software-application

You will then be able to purchase the software from a retailer you feel more
comfortable with.

Please note that the product keys for Nikon products issued through
ImageMixer.net are processed through Commission Junction. In no way are they pirated or illegal. If you have read otherwise, then statements are not factual and, therefore, libelous.

We hope this now resolves any concerns you may have had.

Sincerely,
ImageMixer.net

I think the link to the uninstall procedure may be necessary if I decide to install the 64 bit version, otherwise not.

I still don't believe the finall paragraph regarding the validity. If all that is true why then does Nikon, the developer of the software warn against buying their software from them?

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Donor Ribbon awarded for his enthusiastic and repeated support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014   San Jose, US  Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006 Thu 23-Feb-12 07:19 AM
13659 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#28. "RE: cep 3 and cnx2, 2.2.8"
In response to Reply # 1

Don't install CEP and just install CNX2.3 64 bitit will install as a 64 bit program. Now install the CEP 64 bit program and it will attach itself to CNX2.3.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

"Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the
camera"

Retirement is a gift of time - Don't waste it!

Nikon300Bob Silver Member  VANCOUVER, CA  Nikonian since 08th Sep 2009 Fri 24-Feb-12 03:33 AM
#29. "RE: cep 3 and cnx2, 2.2.8"
In response to Reply # 28

I don't believe any of the legitimate versions of Color Efex 3.0 that are available for sale are compatible with Capture NX2. I think they will only plug into Photoshop, Elements, Lightroom and Aperture. You need Color Efex 3.0 for Capture NX2 3.0 which is no longer available from Nik Software ... only the 64 bit upgrade.

davidd1833 Silver Member  Sydney, AU  Nikonian since 26th Feb 2006 Fri 24-Feb-12 03:42 AM
#30. "RE: cep 3 and cnx2, 2.2.8"
In response to Reply # 29

Hi

try phoning them to purchase it, you only need an activation key, the 64 bit upgrade version is the latest, and is a full version.

David

My Gallery

Nikon300Bob Silver Member  VANCOUVER, CA  Nikonian since 08th Sep 2009 Fri 24-Feb-12 04:10 AM
#31. "RE: cep 3 and cnx2, 2.2.8"
In response to Reply # 30

>Hi
>
>try phoning them to purchase it, you only need an activation
>key, the 64 bit upgrade version is the latest, and is a full
>version.

I sent them an inquiry, but I don't think you can purchase it. I have it installed. When you click on "Purchase" you are taken to a page that says the product is no longer available.

leebaylin Silver Member  Baltimore, US  Charter Member Mon 27-Feb-12 04:01 PM
#32. "RE: cep 3 and cnx2, 2.2.8"
In response to Reply # 31

Read post 20 above. It's the ony way to get CEP 3.0 for NX2.
Lee Baylin

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS Post-Processing & Workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Software (Public) topic #7833 Previous topic | Next topic