Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #7655
View in linear mode

Subject: "Is Nikon Software the Worst in the World????????????" Previous topic | Next topic
dgs2 Registered since 30th Sep 2004Fri 23-Dec-11 07:56 AM
710 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Is Nikon Software the Worst in the World????????????"

San Francisco, US

OK, I have been using Capture since, I guess version 1. I tried to "update to 2.3. Downloaded and installed. When it came to activation, Nikon wanted NOT ONLY the product code from version 2, but then they wanted the product code from version 1. I threw that what seems like away years ago. How long has 2.xx been out? I don't remember, but I've been using a legal copy for a long time. Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm about ready to dump all Nikon software at this point. Just so frustrating.

dgs

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Is Nikon Software the Worst in the World???????????...
mklass Platinum Member
23rd Dec 2011
JonK Moderator
23rd Dec 2011
dgs2
23rd Dec 2011
dlgarrett
23rd Dec 2011
dgs2
23rd Dec 2011
dohearne Silver Member
24th Dec 2011
TiggerGTO Silver Member
03rd Jan 2012
piniongear
04th Jan 2012
evantanski
11th Jan 2012
gkaiseril Gold Member
11th Jan 2012
mklass Platinum Member
11th Jan 2012
F2AS
11th Jan 2012
dgs2
12th Jan 2012
F2AS
12th Jan 2012
Grandslam
14th Jan 2012
gpoole Platinum Member
14th Jan 2012
Freewheeler10
14th Jan 2012
TiggerGTO Silver Member
14th Jan 2012
mklass Platinum Member
14th Jan 2012
dgs2
15th Jan 2012
sevtcard Silver Member
18th Jan 2012
Gromit44
18th Jan 2012
sevtcard Silver Member
19th Jan 2012
Gromit44
19th Jan 2012
Freewheeler10
15th Jan 2012
Reilly M
17th Jan 2012
F2AS
17th Jan 2012
     Reply message RE: Is Nikon Software Customer Service the Worst in the...
dgs2
20th Jan 2012
F2AS
20th Jan 2012
dgs2
20th Jan 2012
F2AS
20th Jan 2012
Ramd41 Silver Member
22nd Jan 2012
dgs2
22nd Jan 2012
mklass Platinum Member
22nd Jan 2012
dgs2
22nd Jan 2012
F2AS
23rd Jan 2012
dgs2
24th Jan 2012
F2AS
24th Jan 2012
n6jah Silver Member
22nd Jan 2012

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Fri 23-Dec-11 10:15 AM
5969 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Is Nikon Software the Worst in the World????????????"
In response to Reply # 0

Tacoma, US

If you upgraded from version 1 to version 2, it will ask for the code for both. I've had other software that I upgraded insist on installing the old version before reinstalling the new version. So I wouldn't say this is the worst it could be. Frustrating, yes -throw out the software frustrating, no.

Contact Nikon customer service and they should be able to help you out. It also helps if you have a profile in the support section of the Nikon web site. There you can register all of your products and keep a list of your product codes and serial numbers.

Mick
www.mickklassphoto.com
or
Visit my nikonians gallery

JonK Moderator Awarded for his high level skills and in-depth knowledge in various areas, such as Wildlife, Landscape and Stage Photography Nikonian since 03rd Jul 2004Fri 23-Dec-11 12:40 PM
4695 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Is Nikon Software the Worst in the World????????????"
In response to Reply # 0

New York, US

Adobe upgrades — which almost always complete program installs — ask for your previous license string to make sure you were entitled to an upgrade rather than having to pay the full price for the app.

Jon Kandel
A New York City Nikonian and Team Member
Please visit my website and critique the images!

dgs2 Registered since 30th Sep 2004Fri 23-Dec-11 06:42 PM
710 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Is Nikon Software the Worst in the World????????????"
In response to Reply # 2

San Francisco, US

Thanks Mick and Jon for your measured response. I should learn not to post in the heat of battle, so to speak. I appreciate the responses.
However, I must point out that I have used Adobe CS; then skipped to CS 4, the last possible upgrade path without paying full price. Recently, I upgraded from CS 4 to CS 5. Adobe did NOT ask for the product key for CS when I went from CS 4 to 5. I only needed the key for CS 4. I do hope Nikon can help me, as I have looked everywhere for the key to NX 1.

dgs

dlgarrett Registered since 24th Nov 2004Fri 23-Dec-11 08:45 PM
27 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Is Nikon Software the Worst in the World????????????"
In response to Reply # 0

Blue Grass, US

I am having the same problem, except I have all the code since the original copy. I tried starting with all three codes and none work. I guess I am down till Nikon support responds to my request for support.

dgs2 Registered since 30th Sep 2004Fri 23-Dec-11 09:23 PM
#5. "RE: Is Nikon Software the Worst in the World????????????"
In response to Reply # 4

San Francisco, US

Sorry you are having the same problem. I have not heard anything from Nikon today. I hope they are not taking too long a Holiday break.

dgs

dohearne Silver Member Nikonian since 07th May 2007Sat 24-Dec-11 01:59 PM
814 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Is Nikon Software the Worst in the World????????????"
In response to Reply # 0

Ludlow, US

Like everyone else I had to use both my NX2 key and the NX1 key. Luckily, I had registered my products at the Nikon site and could access the keys there. If you have registered, you can sign in there and get your keys.

TiggerGTO Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Feb 2006Tue 03-Jan-12 07:17 PM
2258 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Is Nikon Software the Worst in the World????????????"
In response to Reply # 0

Apex, US

I ran into a similar problem except that I had both keys. I would enter my NX2 key and then get prompted for my NX key. The software would then tell me that my NX key was invalid. I went through several days of hassle with Nikon service before this got straightened out, and the end result was that they issued me a new NX2 full-version (i.e. non-upgrade) key.

Nikon software service is about the worst that I have ever encountered. I have been frustrated by them every time I have had any kind of software support issues. I really like CNX2, but I absolutely hate Nikon's lousy customer support for software. I really wish they would hand the whole thing to Nik and let a real software company enhance and support this product.

Danny
A Nikonian in North Carolina

piniongear Registered since 29th Jul 2006Wed 04-Jan-12 01:26 AM
466 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Is Nikon Software the Worst in the World????????????"
In response to Reply # 7

Houston Texas, US

I had a problem after my motherboard crashed with burned out capacitors.
I installed a new motherboard in a new case and then built out the remainder of a new computer.

Loading program by program (what a pain that was) I came to Capture NX.
It asks me for a product code I did not have. Would not advance without the number of course.

I called Nikon and they asked me for the tiny number embossed on the center of the CD for NX.
I had to get a magnifying glass to read it because it was so small.
This number cleared things up and I was given a new product code by Nikon over the phone. It then loaded up with no problem.
perry

evantanski Registered since 10th Jan 2012Wed 11-Jan-12 08:46 AM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Is Nikon Software the Worst in the World????????????"
In response to Reply # 8

US

NX2 is an excellent program that a lot of people use and really like. I tried the trial version awhile back, and I didn't like it.

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Wed 11-Jan-12 02:14 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Is Nikon Software the Worst in the World????????????"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed 11-Jan-12 02:16 PM by gkaiseril

Chicago, US

Apparently Nikon software is aware of the first full version you installed, not an upgrade, and is checking to see that you still have the original disk.

Some people are selling their full install after they upgrade to a newer version. This maybe considered a violation of your user agreement.

Bill Gates was complaining about pirating of software since the late 1970's.

Adobe is requiring one needs to buy each upgrade and no longer will let users upgrade from any version other than the most recent version. Also Adobe is moving toward a monthly licensing fee.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Wed 11-Jan-12 02:23 PM
5969 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Is Nikon Software the Worst in the World????????????"
In response to Reply # 10

Tacoma, US

Just another reason I am glad I am not reliant on Adobe software, except for Acrobat. Once they start charging for teh acrobat reader...

Mick
www.mickklassphoto.com
or

F2AS Registered since 23rd Nov 2005Wed 11-Jan-12 11:42 PM
485 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: Is Nikon Software the Worst in the World????????????"
In response to Reply # 11

Washington, US

Same issue here. I bought NX1, then NX2 upgrade. Last month I foolishly upgraded to v. 2.3. Yesterday it said my trial was up. It asked me to enter the NX1 product key. When I did it said it was invalid. I had to send Nikon everything but the kitchen sink today - screenshots where I enetered the product key, the invalid code screen, photos of the NX1 and NX2 boxes, photo of the NX2 invoice, etc. etc. I wonder how this company manages to stay in business at times. Very frustrating when you've paid $300 for legal software, and then can't use it. Sorry, but there's no excuse in it.

Mike

dgs2 Registered since 30th Sep 2004Thu 12-Jan-12 07:30 PM
#13. "RE: Is Nikon Software the Worst in the World???????????? "
In response to Reply # 12

San Francisco, US

Mike,

I feel your frustration. I emailed Nikon initially on December 23. Obviously, things would be slower than normal over the Holidays. But after Christmas, they did respond that they needed my purchase receipt for NX 1 in order to be able to issue the product key. (I already had the NX 2 receipt and product key.) Thanks to B&H's EXCELLENT and responsive customer service, B&H emailed me a copy of my original 2006 purchase receipt. I sent this to Nikon about 10 days ago. Since then, I have received NO response from Nikon. I have called the technical support help number twice and given them my "Incident number". Both times they told me that there is apparently only ONE PERSON at Nikon who controls the product keys and will be able to help me. I have heard nothing from that person. During the last call, I asked the customer service representative if he could give me contact information for the mystery person so that I could contact him directly. He said no, that even he did not know how to contact him.

I've been using Nikon cameras for 15+ years and have been a loyal customer. But really, the only incident that is of comparable frsutration level in my experience was trying to get help when I had a PC with Windows ME. That's when I switched to a MAC. The only positive is that I started this process at the beginning of the free trial period. Perhaps I will hear from Nikon before the trial period expires.

dgs

F2AS Registered since 23rd Nov 2005Thu 12-Jan-12 10:23 PM
485 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: Is Nikon Software the Worst in the World???????????? "
In response to Reply # 13

Washington, US

Our situations sound very similar. So far I've heard nothing from Nikon even though they said I should get a response within 24 hours. I've heard some say that they do this because of pirated software and it's understandable. That's no excuse IMO. When someone has paid for legitimate software from an authorized dealer there should be no issues with product keys. Good businesses don't treat customers this way. Hopefully I'll hear something soon, but I guess I had better contact B&H to see if they can send me a copy of my NX1 receipt.

Mike

Grandslam Registered since 17th Jan 2009Sat 14-Jan-12 01:34 PM
23 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: Is Nikon Software the Worst in the World???????????? "
In response to Reply # 14

GB

I bought Nikon Capture NX then bought NX2 update which means I am on a base of V2.0.0.

This has installed on my PC but I want to know the correct sequence of updates I should load to bring my NX2 to the latest version please.

I contacted Nikon UK and the guy said he would send me an email with info to do this a few months ago but nothing received!!

Can anyone please help with this that includes best link sites to do this.

kind regards

Tim

gpoole Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 14th Feb 2004Sat 14-Jan-12 01:50 PM
3695 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#18. "RE: Is Nikon Software the Worst in the World???????????? "
In response to Reply # 16

Farmington Hills, US

Most CNX2 releases are full versions, so you don't need to upgrade incrementally. When you install these full versions over a previous version your settings and license number should be carried forward from youo previous install.

A few releases are upgrades. If they are an upgrade then you will have to install the previous full version first.

The download page tells you whether the download is a update or full version. Also whether a download is an full install or an upgrade is part of the file name. For Windows within the file name you will see either WF or WU for Windows Full or Windows Upgrade. I assume there is a similar naming convention for MAC OS versions.

Gary in SE Michigan, USA. Co-organizer of the Southern Michigan Chapter
Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the camera.
D4, D810, D300, D90, F6, FM3a (black), FM2n (chrome)
YashicaMat 124, Graflex Speed Graphic 4x5
My Nikonians Gallery & Our Chapter Gallery

Freewheeler10 Registered since 17th Apr 2008Sat 14-Jan-12 12:14 PM
1105 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: Is Nikon Software the Worst in the World????????????"
In response to Reply # 0

Englewood, US

Is this a problem that is happening only on Windows machines? I have had
CaptureNX and CaptureNX2 on my macs here for years, and I've done many
reinstalls over the years, on clean machines, new machines, never had a
serial number not be accepted. Luckily, I have kept track of all my serial
numbers through the years, along with my password file which is backed
up in three different places.

Happy Shooting!
___Gary

http://gallery.me.com/freewheeler
http://freewheeler10.blogspot.com/

TiggerGTO Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Feb 2006Sat 14-Jan-12 01:37 PM
2258 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#17. "RE: Is Nikon Software the Worst in the World????????????"
In response to Reply # 15

Apex, US

This is not Windows or Mac specific. I think the root problem stems from a defect Nikon has where the software can not properly recognize upgrade licenses. I've been using Capture since before NX. I bought NX and then bought a NX2 upgrade. Recently, when I tried to install NX2 on a new MacBook Pro, I was prompted for my NX2 key, which it accepted, and then the NX key which it said was invalid. It took me most of a week to get it resolved, and the experience with Nikon's software service was extremely frustrating. I think much of the frustration stemmed from the fact that my complaint was being handled by a call center in India, so the turnaround for responses was a full day at best, sometimes two days. This was compounded by the fact that I don't think the person was actually reading the responses I was writing or viewing the screen captures I uploaded. I was asked for the same information multiple times even though my previous response clearly included everything they had asked for. I finally got it resolved when I requested that my issue be forwarded to a manager or somebody with the authority to actually address the problem. The next day, I got a new non-upgrade license key issued.

In my opinion, Nikon is really messing up with their software. Their core business is photographic and scientific equipment -- hardware not software. I've never understood why each pro and prosumer body doesn't come with a free copy of Capture NX2. Adding poor support and not quickly resolving problems people are having with legitimate license keys might very well cost Nikon more than the price of the software. It might cost them future sales in camera bodies and lenses.

Danny
A Nikonian in North Carolina

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Sat 14-Jan-12 02:21 PM
#19. "RE: Is Nikon Software the Worst in the World????????????"
In response to Reply # 17

Tacoma, US

This thread really should be renamed: "Does Nikon have the worst software support in the world ". This is more about that than the software itself (which, I think, is pretty good )

Mick
www.mickklassphoto.com
or

dgs2 Registered since 30th Sep 2004Sun 15-Jan-12 07:30 PM
#21. "RE: Is Nikon Software the Worst in the World????????????"
In response to Reply # 19

San Francisco, US

Yes, I'm sorry I goofed when I initially posted it. I do like to use NX 2, even with its warts and all.

dgs

sevtcard Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Mar 2009Wed 18-Jan-12 03:07 AM
328 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#24. "RE: Is Nikon Software the Worst in the World????????????"
In response to Reply # 19
Wed 18-Jan-12 03:09 AM by sevtcard

Brattleboro, US

i agree with you....nikon software support is not configured to answer any questions beyond the most basic "are you sure you plugged it in" level. they seem to have a very few key staff who can actually understand an issue and resolve a question...unfortunately, the limited few are in high demand and hard to reach. One must be a squeaky wheel and continually advocate for one's self to get anywhere with them...many have commented in this thread, and in the past, that nikon is a hardware company and doesn't understand software service...i think there is truth in this assessment.

on the other hand, NX 2.3 is 2 orders of magnitude better than earlier iterations, especially on my machine (win 7 64 bit, i7 980x core 6, 12gb, ssd boot and scratch drives, sata 3 multi-terabyte drives). it is now a pleasure to turn it on and to push it to its max (which i haven't hit yet)....there really is nothing like u-point technology for making local adjustments - i find cs5 mostly a pain in that regard compared to the relative simplicty of, and now excellent speed of nx2.3.

mark
PS no issues installing and running nx2.3

www.broadwallphotography.com

Gromit44 Registered since 04th Jan 2012Wed 18-Jan-12 02:14 PM
673 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#25. "RE: Is Nikon Software the Worst in the World????????????"
In response to Reply # 24
Wed 18-Jan-12 02:16 PM by Gromit44

GB

Mark - where have you put the folder for temporary data? Is it on a SSD scratch disk instead of C: drive?

sevtcard Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Mar 2009Thu 19-Jan-12 02:19 AM
328 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#26. "RE: Is Nikon Software the Worst in the World????????????"
In response to Reply # 25

Brattleboro, US

yes, have moved all temporary data off the c drive and onto the scratch disk ssd drive...

www.broadwallphotography.com

Gromit44 Registered since 04th Jan 2012Thu 19-Jan-12 10:46 AM
673 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#27. "RE: Is Nikon Software the Worst in the World????????????"
In response to Reply # 26

GB

Does it make much performance difference if the scratch drive is an SSD (as opposed to an ordinary hard drive)?

Freewheeler10 Registered since 17th Apr 2008Sun 15-Jan-12 12:05 PM
1105 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#20. "RE: Is Nikon Software the Worst in the World????????????"
In response to Reply # 17

Englewood, US

>I've never understood why each pro
>and prosumer body doesn't come with a free copy of Capture
>NX2.

I certainly agree. My D70s and D80 came with a trial version
of Capture, my D300 and later cameras came with a trial of CNX2.
I personally have never had an issue with entering both serial numbers,
but there are certainly enough people out there who have had an
issue to make it (I would think) to the folks at Nikon. Maybe I just
don't understand business........

Happy Shooting!
___Gary

http://gallery.me.com/freewheeler
http://freewheeler10.blogspot.com/

Reilly M Registered since 26th Jul 2008Tue 17-Jan-12 08:22 PM
983 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#22. "RE: Is Nikon Software the Worst in the World????????????"
In response to Reply # 0

Monrovia, US

I'm glad I read this thread. I guess I'll stick with 2.2. I don't see
where 2.3 is any better except in speed and that would be debatable on
my 'puter.

yours,
Reilly

The only stupid question is the one you should have asked....

F2AS Registered since 23rd Nov 2005Tue 17-Jan-12 10:04 PM
#23. "RE: Is Nikon Software the Worst in the World????????????"
In response to Reply # 22

Washington, US

I agree. Stick with what you have and don't even think about trying to upgrade your Capture NX2 unless you don't mind paying again for a license fee to register the product. Nikon still has not responded to me despite repeated phone calls and inquiries I've sent to their customer support site. I spoke to them last on Saturday and was told I would hear from them no later than today with a product key, and so far not a word. In the meantime, I'm locked out of the program completely. I can't even use it in trial mode.

Mike

dgs2 Registered since 30th Sep 2004Fri 20-Jan-12 01:31 AM
#28. "RE: Is Nikon Software Customer Service the Worst in the World????????????"
In response to Reply # 23

San Francisco, US

Mike,

I FINALLY received a product key from Nikon yesterday. I haven't had time to do the complete install. They sent me instructions to uninstall what I have and download a new version of NX 2 and then enter the product key to finish it off. They did acknowledge receipt of my receipt for NX 1.

I ONLY received a reply after I sent them a really ranting email as a new service request. I don't normally do this, as I try to generally be a polite person. However, in this case it seemed to work. Perhaps that's what it takes to get their attention. It's too bad, if that's the only thing that works. Just for the record, tomorrow, it will have been four weeks since I first contacted them about this issue on December 23.

dgs

F2AS Registered since 23rd Nov 2005Fri 20-Jan-12 04:07 PM
#29. "RE: Is Nikon Software Customer Service the Worst in the World????????????"
In response to Reply # 28
Fri 20-Jan-12 04:34 PM by F2AS

Washington, US

I am glad you finally got your product key and that gives me some hope, but I guess I'll need to be more patient & put my post processing on hold for a while longer. I've been calling Nikon Support about every other day asking for a status update. Each time, I get the same "I should be hearing something within the next day or two", but then I never do. I called again yesterday and was not happy at all...they are supposedly putting a rush on it now, so maybe mine will only take 3 more weeks (lol). I have even asked for B&H to help me out if they can since I bought the software from them. Typical of B&H, they responded very promptly and courteously to my request, and said if I do not get resolution within a week that they will step in to see what they can do. Just wish I had never updated to v.2.3. I'll know better next time.

Mike

dgs2 Registered since 30th Sep 2004Fri 20-Jan-12 06:41 PM
#30. "RE: Is Nikon Software Customer Service the Worst in the World????????????"
In response to Reply # 29

San Francisco, US

Hi Mike,

Best of luck. I know I will think twice about any future changes to Nikon software. I still haven't gotten the courage to actually enter the product key. I will proabably do that over the weekend. Great idea on your part getting B&H involved! If Nikon doesn't respond to them, it would be truly stunning.

Cheers,

David

dgs

F2AS Registered since 23rd Nov 2005Fri 20-Jan-12 11:29 PM
#31. "RE: Is Nikon Software Customer Service the Worst in the World????????????"
In response to Reply # 30

Washington, US

David, you may have even less courage now, because after calling them yesterday and mentioning getting B&H involved, they sent me a new key today. I followed the instructions on reinstalling to the tee, but when I tried to register the new product key it said it was invalid. I sent them screenshots of what I entered as proof, but figure I won't get a response until sometime next week now. Hopefully yours will work.

Mike

Ramd41 Silver Member Charter MemberSun 22-Jan-12 12:30 AM
22 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#32. "RE: Is Nikon Software Customer Service the Worst in the World????????????"
In response to Reply # 31

Morristown, US

The bottom line is that Nikon is not a software company, never was and apparently never will be. It's a tiny part of their business and they treat it as such. There are reports that NIK software, who wrote parts of NX2, is terribly frustrated with NIkon and even they can't get a read on where this software is going. Is NX2 a good program? Yes, with a lot of caveats. It's long in the tooth, its user interface sucks, and Nikon gives us no idea where they are going. Nice.

As good as it is, it's getting farther and farther behind, and then you add the unfriendly updates (and, please, don't tell me about a second rate experience with another second rate software company - that doesn't make Nikon any better - they should be aiming for the best customer service not excusing their poor performance by pointing to the worst) and it becomes less and less motivating to stay with NX2. As much as I like its quality, if NX hasn't upgraded to NX3 with substantial enhancements by the time the LR4 final is out, I'm moving on.

dgs2 Registered since 30th Sep 2004Sun 22-Jan-12 01:58 AM
#33. "RE: Is Nikon Software Customer Service the Worst in the World????????????"
In response to Reply # 31

San Francisco, US

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the update. I'm really sorry about your experience.

My update is that I tried to follow the instructions that a person at Nikon emailed me regarding installing NX 2.3. The first thing they told me to do was delete Capture NX 2 and several other files. I did all of this. They said restart your computer, which I also did. In short, I followed their instructions to the "T". The last was to download NX2.3.0 from a link they provided in the email. I tried twice to download the file and it failed both times. I checked my internet speeds on several website, including AT&T. I have 24 Mb/S download and 4 MB/S upload. So I haven't had the chance to try my product key, but I'm like you now, I have no ability to run NX anything.

I really like my Nikon hardware. If this is all they can do for their software customers, they should just turn it over to Nik. I love Nik software and use all sorts of their products in Aperture, CS5 and iPad. Please Nikon, just give it up!

dgs

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Sun 22-Jan-12 03:39 AM
#34. "RE: Is Nikon Software Customer Service the Worst in the World????????????"
In response to Reply # 33

Tacoma, US

I am sorry you guys are having so much trouble with getting CNX 2.3 installed. However, a lot more of us had no problem and I think your experience is atypical. Clearly, there muse be some anomaly in your system that is causing these issues. I hope you get it fixed.

As most of us have found, CNX 2.3 is an improvement and the 64 bit version is a long sough update that Nikon delivered. Nik even followed along with updates Color Efex for both 32 and 64 bit versions.

I sense a commitment to the product that was not apparent before this.

Mick
www.mickklassphoto.com
or

dgs2 Registered since 30th Sep 2004Sun 22-Jan-12 08:04 PM
#35. "RE: Is Nikon Software Customer Service the Worst in the World????????????"
In response to Reply # 34

San Francisco, US

Thanks Mick,

I must report that today I was able to download NX 2.3 (third time was the charm) and best of all MY PRODUCT KEY WORKED! So I have finally succeeded in installing and running NX 2.3. Once I completed the download, everything worked smoothly. I notice immediately, that 2.3 runs much faster on my Mac. It's all good and I hope you are right about continued support of NX.

dgs

F2AS Registered since 23rd Nov 2005Mon 23-Jan-12 10:37 PM
#37. "RE: Is Nikon Software Customer Service the Worst in the World????????????"
In response to Reply # 34

Washington, US

Mick, in the short time I was able to use it I thought v.2.3 was an improvement too. The images definitely opened a lot faster. Maybe my case is atypical, I don't know, but it's still very frustrating dealing with their "customer support". After sending me a product key that came back invalid when I tried registering it, and responding back to them on Friday with screenshots, I've not heard a thing so far, and I have no way of contacting this guy that sent me the key. No doubt, if there were a NX3 for sale now, I would buy it in a heartbeat and move on (and never upgrade it unless I absolutely had to). For right now, my hands are tied and I'm kind of at Nikon's mercy. I've been very happy with my Capture NX1 then NX2, and don't want to go to Lightroom. . . but what I won't do either, is go out and repurchase NX2.

Mike

dgs2 Registered since 30th Sep 2004Tue 24-Jan-12 07:18 AM
#38. "RE: Is Nikon Software Customer Service the Worst in the World????????????"
In response to Reply # 37

San Francisco, US

Mike,

Sorry you are still waiting for your product key. The only help I can suggest is that the person who finally responded with my product key was named "Alfredo". I checked the email, but the reponse if just to Nikon customer service. I guess you could ask for him. Sorry I can't offer more.

Continued good luck.

dgs

F2AS Registered since 23rd Nov 2005Tue 24-Jan-12 11:17 AM
#39. "RE: Is Nikon Software Customer Service the Worst in the World????????????"
In response to Reply # 38

Washington, US

Thanks. Yes, Alfredo was the same person who sent me mine. Hoping I'll hear something today.

Mike

n6jah Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Sep 2002Sun 22-Jan-12 11:46 PM
70 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#36. "RE: Is Nikon Software the Worst in the World????????????"
In response to Reply # 0

Corona, US

I too had a similar issue with the upgrade. I started with Capture v4, and upgraded to NX1 as soon as it was available. I bought the software directly from Nikon, and registered it online. I upgraded to NX2 when it was available, and have always updated my software when updates were available.

I was asked to do all of the aforementioned steps, and 12 days later I got my new key. (To be fair, it was 6 business days. It started just before Christmas, and ended just after New Year's Day holiday.)

Overall, I have had both better and worse experience with various software company's customer support. (Has anybody here had to deal with SAP? What a pain...)

I was annoyed with having to exchange several emails to verify my purchase of the software. (No, I didn't keep my receipts.) But I was able to use the software during the process, so it was not a big deal. (I just had to click one extra button to "continue with trial" when opening NX.)

It's sad we have to put up with all this nonsense. But, I understand why we have to.

Meanwhile, I hope Nikon doesn't abandon NX since I am quite happy with the software. Hopefully they are addressing the issues, and are working on NX3. I have learned to do what I want, and how to get around all the quirks with NX. I don't want to learn anything new.

jim
.... . ... . . ... ... .... . .. ... .... .. ... .... .. .... ..

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #7655 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.