Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #7591
View in linear mode

Subject: "Problem with color management" Previous topic | Next topic
PAStime Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Feb 2009Tue 20-Dec-11 08:43 PM
2669 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Problem with color management"
Tue 20-Dec-11 08:44 PM by PAStime

Kingston, CA

Hi. Any ideas what might be going on here? I thought I had color management under control but it is giving me grief. I am currently not after the best looking image. Instead I am after consistency so as to prove color management is working correctly.

The image below is a snapshot from my screen. From left to right:

1. Firefox
2. Capture NX2
3. Safari
4. ViewNX2

Not visible is a PhotoMechanic view. It's rendering is identical to the Firefox and Safari images.

In all instances we are looking at a JPG with embedded Adobe RGB color space downloaded from Tim Grey's web site.

Why the lower saturation/color shift in the Capture NX2 and ViewNX2 images? All applications should be color management aware!

The problem persists if I use a U2711.icm profile from TFT Central. The problem goes away if I revert to a default Windows sRGB monitor profile in the Windows 7 color management control panel.

Peter

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Problem with color management
PAStime Silver Member
21st Dec 2011
ericbowles Moderator
21st Dec 2011
PAStime Silver Member
22nd Dec 2011
BR Silver Member
22nd Dec 2011
cej_in_nc Silver Member
22nd Dec 2011
PAStime Silver Member
22nd Dec 2011
BR Silver Member
22nd Dec 2011
PAStime Silver Member
22nd Dec 2011
BR Silver Member
23rd Dec 2011
PAStime Silver Member
23rd Dec 2011
BR Silver Member
23rd Dec 2011
PAStime Silver Member
23rd Dec 2011
BR Silver Member
23rd Dec 2011
PAStime Silver Member
23rd Dec 2011
BR Silver Member
23rd Dec 2011
PAStime Silver Member
24th Dec 2011
cej_in_nc Silver Member
24th Dec 2011
PAStime Silver Member
24th Dec 2011
BR Silver Member
24th Dec 2011
PAStime Silver Member
24th Dec 2011
danall Silver Member
27th Dec 2011
PAStime Silver Member
27th Dec 2011
Beemer2 Silver Member
27th Dec 2011
PAStime Silver Member
27th Dec 2011
Beemer2 Silver Member
28th Dec 2011
PAStime Silver Member
28th Dec 2011
danall Silver Member
28th Dec 2011
PAStime Silver Member
30th Dec 2011
buddyro48 Silver Member
04th Jan 2012
PAStime Silver Member
04th Jan 2012
ericbowles Moderator
04th Jan 2012
buddyro48 Silver Member
04th Jan 2012

PAStime Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Feb 2009Wed 21-Dec-11 02:28 AM
2669 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Problem with color management"
In response to Reply # 0

Kingston, CA

For anyone curious, here is an update:

1. I downloaded and installed a trial version of Photoshop CS5. It displays images just as CaptureNX2 and ViewNX2 each do. I am thinking perhaps the three editors have it right and the two web browsers are off for some reason?

2. In my first message I indicated that an sRGB monitor profile makes the problem go away. This should be ignored. Indeed this causes all six tools to display the image such that they all look the same. But I now realize I was assigning a working color space as a monitor profile. That makes no sense.

Peter

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Wed 21-Dec-11 10:41 AM
8149 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Problem with color management"
In response to Reply # 0

Atlanta, US

I don't believe the web browsers are color managed - at least the are unable to render an Adobe RGB. Chrome isn't either.

I've even seen some cases where images are rendered inaccurately enough with sRGB that they need to be re-edited for use on the web with all of these browsers plus IE. (My image in the Landscape Challenge voting for this month is the problem image. It had to be re-edited for the color to come close to my JPEG on my calibrated laptop.)

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

PAStime Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Feb 2009Thu 22-Dec-11 02:02 AM
#6. "RE: Problem with color management"
In response to Reply # 2

Kingston, CA

>I don't believe the web browsers are color managed - at least
>the are unable to render an Adobe RGB. Chrome isn't either.

I understand the Firefox, IE9 and Safari are all color managed now.

>I've even seen some cases where images are rendered
>inaccurately enough with sRGB that they need to be re-edited

I think I may be experiencing this!

Peter

BR Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Nov 2006Thu 22-Dec-11 12:34 AM
528 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Problem with color management"
In response to Reply # 0

Glen Mills, US

Peter,

To my knowledge, the browsers should be color managed. You can test that here:

http://www.gballard.net/psd/go_live_page_profile/embeddedJPEGprofiles.html#widegamut

by rolling your mouse over the group of images at the top left of the web page. If nothing changes in going from an Adobe RGB tagged image to the same image tagged with sRGB, then your browser is color managed.

I think in Firefox you may have to set some parameters manually, as in the following:

http://www.robertstech.com/blog/?p=510

Can you provide a link to the specific image that you are using? I will try it out with the same four programs.

Also - are you using a wide-gamut monitor?

Barry

cej_in_nc Silver Member Nikonian since 14th Jan 2009Thu 22-Dec-11 01:19 AM
99 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Problem with color management"
In response to Reply # 3

Waynesville, US

Thanks for this information -- much appreciated.
Modified Firefox's config file as instructed and now Firefox is appropriately color managed.

PAStime Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Feb 2009Thu 22-Dec-11 01:48 AM
#5. "RE: Problem with color management"
In response to Reply # 3
Thu 22-Dec-11 02:03 AM by PAStime

Kingston, CA

Hi Barry. Thanks for the reply. I'm using up some vacation time before end of year and so have had some time to play with this.

Yes, I am using a wide gamut monitor. It is a 4 month old Dell U2711 with a claimed 97% reproducibility of the Adobe RGB gamut. I was able to repeat the problem with the monitor in Standard, sRGB and Adobe RGB settings as per the on screen display (OSD) so have ruled this out (not surprisingly).

I have asked my Windows 7 64 bit Professional to uninstall and then automatically reinstall the drivers for my two LCD displays (the other is a cheap old Dell LCD).

Here is the latest. The problem is essentially summarized as follows:

- images viewed with PhotoMechanic, Firefox, and Safari look identical
- images viewed with Capture NX2, Photoshop CS5, and Corel PSP look identical
- but the images of each of these two groups do not look the same. The PhotoMechanic/Firefox/Safari images are much better/more saturated/vibrant.
- this bothers me because a) they should look the same and b) I want to see in my editor what others will see on the web (WYSIWYG)

It doesn't matter what I do to color management settings in Windows 7. It doesn't matter what type of image I play with (sRGB, AdobeRGB, etc.). The problem persists.

The screen capture below shows my experiment.

In terms of monitor profile in Windows 7: I have tried the U2711.icm file that came with the monitor and one that I downloaded from TFT Central. I also have some calibration hardware/software on order (Spyder3 Pro) and will be playing with that soon. But monitor calibration should not matter in this situation!

The test files I am using are here:

http://www.gballard.net/dl/iPhotoTEST.zip

Drill down to the five *Tagged JPG files in the Zip file.

In terms of color management:
- the five images in each profile(sRGB, AdobeRGB, AppleRGB, WhackedRGB and ProPhotoRGB) all look identical in each of my applications. That means my applications are each correctly configured. (I've learned that trying this, seeing it, and understanding it is fundamental to color management!).

I would greatly appreciate a test done by you as this is consuming me! I guess a very basic test is: do you see the same image in Firefox, Safari and/or PhotoMechanic as you see in CaptureNX2, Photoshop, or Corel PSP?

Thanks!
Peter

Regarding the test image below, if you look closely the Firefox, Safari, PhotoMechanic images are better/more saturated/more vibrant

Top row: all Capture NX2
Middle row (left to right): Firefox, Safari, Photoshop, Photoshop, Corel PSP
Bottow row: all PhotoMechanic

(I tried to provide a link to a full size image but this web site won't accept the URL).

BR Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Nov 2006Thu 22-Dec-11 03:03 PM
528 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Problem with color management"
In response to Reply # 5

Glen Mills, US

> Regarding the test image below, if you look closely the Firefox, Safari, PhotoMechanic images are better/more saturated/more vibrant.

Peter,

I'm at work now but will try to do the test at home sometime soon.

As for your statement comparing the images, in my opinion the Capture NX2 image is the one that looks okay and the browser images appear overly saturated. The latter is similar to what you get with wide gamut monitors when viewing an untagged sRGB image or an image that is tagged but viewed with a program that is not color managed.

Barry

PAStime Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Feb 2009Thu 22-Dec-11 07:42 PM
#8. "RE: Problem with color management"
In response to Reply # 7

Kingston, CA

>Peter,
>I'm at work now but will try to do the test at home sometime
>soon.

OK, thanks. That would be great.

>As for your statement comparing the images, in my opinion the
>Capture NX2 image is the one that looks okay and the browser
>images appear overly saturated.

Interesting! I am thinking I like the more saturated images. It seems the skin should be that tone of pink. Of course this is all subjective.

Peter

BR Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Nov 2006Fri 23-Dec-11 12:10 AM
#9. "RE: Problem with color management"
In response to Reply # 0

Glen Mills, US

Peter,

I did the test using Capture NX2, View NX2, Firefox and Safari. For the image, I used PDI_Target_AdobeRGB.jpg using the link that you provided (the same image as in your post #5). I should mention that I am using a MacBook Pro, running OS 10.6.8, and an NEC PA241w wide-gamut monitor.

Here is what I did. I opened the image in each program and did a screenshot (TIFF) using the Mac Grab program. I then opened each screenshot image with the Mac Preview program, put them side-by-side and created a screenshot composite image (TIFF) of the four screenshots. I converted to JPEG using Pixelmator, shown here. The JPEG has an Adobe RGB tag. The program used is indicated at the top of each individual image. I had to reduce image quality somewhat to meet the posting requirements, but the results do show that all the images look the same.

And since this image was created in a rather roundabout way, I also mention that when I had the image open in each of the four programs prior to any screenshots, they looked the same.

In comparing my images with yours, it still seems to me that your browser images are over-saturated.

Barry

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

PAStime Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Feb 2009Fri 23-Dec-11 01:40 AM
#10. "RE: Problem with color management"
In response to Reply # 9
Fri 23-Dec-11 01:41 AM by PAStime

Kingston, CA

Thanks Barry for doing that test. It is exactly what I was looking for. Because all of the images looked the same on your setup, there must be something wrong with my setup (assuming it is not a Mac/Windows difference). Not sure what, yet. My Spyder3 Pro calibration think arrived today so my next move is to try a monitor calibration.

I would suggest that the images from my screen that you think are over-saturated are in fact no different than your images. Below is a composite of your images (four on the bottom) and three of mine (three in the top row). To me it looks like the baby circled in pink is close to the same in your shot and in mine. That same baby viewed in Photoshop from my screen (circled in green) is slightly less saturated and less life like. What do you think?

Cheers,
Peter

BR Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Nov 2006Fri 23-Dec-11 03:32 AM
#11. "RE: Problem with color management"
In response to Reply # 10

Glen Mills, US

> I would suggest that the images from my screen that you think are over-saturated are in fact no different than your images.

Agreed. I thought I had done that same comparison, and concluded differently, but you are correct.

So the issue is with the Nikon software...In Capture NX2's preference settings for color management, do you have Adobe RGB as your default color space?

Also, an issue that I think has come up before is that the thumbnails may not be color managed. Are you judging color from the thumbnails or from an opened image?

Barry

PAStime Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Feb 2009Fri 23-Dec-11 12:38 PM
#12. "RE: Problem with color management"
In response to Reply # 11
Fri 23-Dec-11 12:46 PM by PAStime

Kingston, CA

>Agreed. I thought I had done that same comparison, and
>concluded differently, but you are correct.

That's good to hear... means we are seeing the same thing and on the same page.

>So the issue is with the Nikon software...In Capture NX2's
>preference settings for color management, do you have Adobe
>RGB as your default color space?

Yup.

But the issue must be bigger than Capture NX2 because I get the same "muted" saturation when editing in Capture NX2, Photoshop CS5.5, and Corel PSP!

I read somewhere that there is subtlety on how operating systems and applications use ICC profiles. Some applications rely on the operating system to do color management, others make more explicit use of the ICC profile. This can result in different behaviour across different applications. This is my current theory on the problem though I'm not holding my breath.

>Also, an issue that I think has come up before is that the
>thumbnails may not be color managed. Are you judging color
>from the thumbnails or from an opened image?

Good point... but I am not judging the thumbnails. I am judging the image as seen in the editor.

My next step is to calibrate my monitor with my newly arrived Spyder3 Pro and install an entirely new monitor profile. In theory this should make no difference whatsover (because all applications should look the same no matter what the profile). I'll post an update when I've given that a shot.

Something I haven't mentioned which I think is a hint at the problem very interesting from a color management perspective is the following. As I slowly drag a Photoshop/CNX2/PSP image window from my left, cheap monitor to my right, main one, at 51% of the image arriving on my right monitor, the image saturation drops as per the problem we've been discussing. This I presume is color management in action - an adjustment of the image as per the monitor's profile. (The saturation doesn't drop when I drag a window of color-managed Safari or Firefox.)

Thanks,
Peter

BR Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Nov 2006Fri 23-Dec-11 02:38 PM
#13. "RE: Problem with color management"
In response to Reply # 12

Glen Mills, US

So the problem just occurs with Photoshop/CNX2/PSP on one monitor - all programs show the correct image on the other monitor. Then as you say it may have to do with how applications and operating systems use profiles.

I'm not sure what else to suggest. I do remember reading about the calibration devices and it at least used to be the case that they couldn't handle dual monitors on Windows systems, but they seem to be able to do that now. Your issue has something to do with the use of dual monitors and the profiles not getting used correctly by some programs. As a test, could you disconnect the monitor on the left and see if all the programs then give the same look on the main monitor?

Barry

PAStime Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Feb 2009Fri 23-Dec-11 09:26 PM
#14. "RE: Problem with color management"
In response to Reply # 13

Kingston, CA

>that they couldn't handle dual monitors on Windows systems,

Progress!

To follow up on your suggestion, I went into my video control card software (AMD/ATI Catalyst) to disable my secondary monitor. I was then going to disconnect it and reboot Windows 7. In this utility I found a setting to "select the main desktop". See image below. My small, secondary monitor was designated as my main desktop so I switched that to my 27" Dell U2711. The problem went away! Now, images in CaptureNX2, Photoshop and Corel PSP look exactly the same as the images when viewed in Photo Mechanic, Firefox, and Safari. That is the way it should be.

So this is a color management quirk on multiple displays and perhaps AMD/ATI video cards.

Thanks Barry for the help,
Peter

BR Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Nov 2006Fri 23-Dec-11 10:23 PM
#15. "RE: Problem with color management"
In response to Reply # 14

Glen Mills, US

I'm not sure how that setting changed things, but I'm glad to hear that it's working as expected now.

Just curious - by switching the designation of main monitor, does that mean that the programs don't agree now on the small monitor?

Barry

PAStime Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Feb 2009Sat 24-Dec-11 01:50 AM
#16. "RE: Problem with color management"
In response to Reply # 15
Sat 24-Dec-11 01:53 AM by PAStime

Kingston, CA

>I'm not sure how that setting changed things, but I'm glad to
>hear that it's working as expected now.

I too am not sure how the setting changed things. I have some hardware and software design in my background so can imagine different ways in which it may be happening.

>Just curious - by switching the designation of main monitor,
>does that mean that the programs don't agree now on the small
>monitor?

Just tried it. Yes, the problem has transferred to the small monitor. The images do not match on the small monitor. See snapshot below. (If I drag both of these windows over to the main monitor, they match perfectly). And the effect is reversed: the Capture NX2 image is saturated more than the Photo Mechanic Image. It was the opposite when the problem was on the large monitor.

So it must be an AMD/ATI video card software/driver thing or Windows 7 or combination of both. And it affects some applications differently than others.

The advice I'd share for others:

1. be aware color management can mess up in multiple-display setups
2. in your video card software verify which monitor has been selected as the main display as color management may be better handled on this display

All the best for the season Barry!

(I wonder if anyone else has followed along in this thread?)

Peter

cej_in_nc Silver Member Nikonian since 14th Jan 2009Sat 24-Dec-11 03:03 AM
99 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#17. "RE: Problem with color management"
In response to Reply # 16

Waynesville, US

Have followed this discussion with considerable interest.
There is something that puzzles me: since the two monitors differ, wouldn't each have its own profile? If so, how does the software application know which profile to use? Perhaps one application can handle two different monitors correctly while another can't?

PAStime Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Feb 2009Sat 24-Dec-11 01:24 PM
#18. "RE: Problem with color management"
In response to Reply # 17

Kingston, CA

>Perhaps
>one application can handle two different monitors correctly
>while another can't?

I think that may be it!

If I drag a Capture NX2 window from one monitor to the other, at 51% of the image appearing in the destination window the entire image changes, presumably because color management of the destination window is having its effect.

But if I drag a Firefox window from one monitor to the other, at 51% of the image appearing in the destination window the image doesn't change. That can't be correct because, as you say, the destination window has its own profile and so the image should change to reflect that.

This is significant. It may mean, at least in my particular configuration of operating system and video card, that Safari, Firefox, and PhotoMechanic are not properly color managed in a multi-display setup. CaptureNX2, Photoshop and Corel PSP are properly color managed across multiple displays.

Peter

BR Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Nov 2006Sat 24-Dec-11 02:25 PM
#19. "RE: Problem with color management"
In response to Reply # 18

Glen Mills, US

This whole discussion is a good argument in favor of using one large monitor instead of a dual monitor setup. Even without color management issues, getting two monitors to match is not always easy.

Barry

PAStime Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Feb 2009Sat 24-Dec-11 04:03 PM
#20. "RE: Problem with color management"
In response to Reply # 19

Kingston, CA

>This whole discussion is a good argument in favor of using
>one large monitor instead of a dual monitor setup. Even
>without color management issues, getting two monitors to match
>is not always easy.

Agreed. Unless of course the monitors are of high quality as are the video card and drivers. Then the monitor profiles would each do their job and images would look the same when moved from monitor to monitor. That is the ideal.

This has been a great discussion and most informative.

Peter

My gallery (a work in progress): http://peterstokes.net/Exhibit

danall Silver Member Nikonian since 16th Feb 2009Tue 27-Dec-11 02:50 AM
109 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#21. "RE: Problem with color management"
In response to Reply # 20

Springfield, US

PASTime: I was having the same problem as you experienced around the time you first posted this and was suspecting it was due to differences with a dual monitor setup and how color managed software handles dual monitor setups differently. In my case only my secondary monitor is calibrated and profiled for accurate color use, my primary being a laptop screen. I was comparing an identical image with different photo editing or viewing programs that were identified as color managed software. I also had a color shift with 2 programs showing a warmer color shift than the others(viewing all on my profiled secondary monitor). I found i had to make sure I rebooted after I enabled the second monitor and had instructed Windows to treat the second as the "primary" monitor. That "corrected" the problem. Just today I ran across documentation on another color managed Raw processing program that confirmed my suspicions. Essentially not all color managed programs treat dual monitor setups the same. Raw Therapee's documentation states that: "RT only knows about one monitor. So if you have multiple monitors connected, it will always take the main monitors profile (the one with the task bar)." I suspect that differences in monitor profiles and differences in primary vs secondary monitor identification in Windows can account for differences in display of an indentical image with various color managed software.

Daniel Schlender

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

PAStime Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Feb 2009Tue 27-Dec-11 11:22 AM
#22. "RE: Problem with color management"
In response to Reply # 21

Kingston, CA

Thanks Daniel for the input. It seems we have discovered the same thing. What you write is exactly what I observed. It is interesting that the RT software admits to not being color managed with dual monitors.

I find I work better with things if I can understand how they work inside. What I'd like to know is how much of color management is performed by the operating system and how much by an application.

Cheers,
Peter

Beemer2 Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Dec 2006Tue 27-Dec-11 06:59 PM
2508 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#23. "RE: Problem with color management"
In response to Reply # 22

Scotland, GB

>Thanks Daniel for the input. It seems we have discovered the
>same thing. What you write is exactly what I observed. It
>is interesting that the RT software admits to not being color
>managed with dual monitors.
>
>I find I work better with things if I can understand how they
>work inside. What I'd like to know is how much of color
>management is performed by the operating system and how much
>by an application.
>
>Cheers,
>Peter

Hello Peter,

I have posted the following statement many times in this forum.

Windows including Windows 7 can only load one monitor profile unless:

(a) Your video card has dual heads (not just dual input connectors). Sometimes this is called dual-LUT, e.g on "Quad" video cards.

or

(b) You have two separate video cards in your computer.

If you use dual monitors and have a single video card with a single LUT, Windows can load a single profile that can be the profile of either monitor (if of different brands) but not both profiles.

This is why you see a difference in colour as one of your monitors is not using its own profile. Even if you use your Spyder3 the situation is the same.

Barry does not have this problem as he is using a MAC which inherently can load each monitor with its own profile.

Ian

If only Mozart had had a camera

PAStime Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Feb 2009Tue 27-Dec-11 07:18 PM
#24. "RE: Problem with color management"
In response to Reply # 23
Tue 27-Dec-11 07:19 PM by PAStime

Kingston, CA

Hi Ian,

Thanks for the input. What you say makes sense and is probably true.

But the problem I had was that different, color-managed applications produced different looking images on the same monitor. That shouldn't happen whichever monitor profile is loaded!

Cheers,
Peter

Beemer2 Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Dec 2006Wed 28-Dec-11 08:24 AM
2508 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#25. "RE: Problem with color management"
In response to Reply # 24

Scotland, GB

Peter,

Sorry I understand you now.

Here is something that might be of assistance:

http://gearoracle.com/guides/firefox-color-management/

Ian

If only Mozart had had a camera

PAStime Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Feb 2009Wed 28-Dec-11 01:38 PM
#26. "RE: Problem with color management"
In response to Reply # 25

Kingston, CA

>Here is something that might be of assistance:
>http://gearoracle.com/guides/firefox-color-management/

Thanks Ian for that link. I tried the various tests and it seems my Firefox browser is correctly configured. Cheers, Peter

danall Silver Member Nikonian since 16th Feb 2009Wed 28-Dec-11 06:10 PM
109 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#27. "RE: Problem with color management"
In response to Reply # 26

Springfield, US

>
>Thanks Ian for that link. I tried the various tests and it
>seems my Firefox browser is correctly configured. Cheers,
>Peter

Peter, my situation was the same as yours, all 5 of the applications i tested were photoediting or photoviewing software that are color managed, yet on one monitor an identical image was appearing differently in 2 of the applications. My conjecture is thus: different software handle colormanagement slightly differently, ie they were actually using different profiles...how can that be??...well, some software will default to using the primary or default booted monitor profile, others will use the profile you instruct or identify to the software in preferences. In my case I had not booted with my secondary profiled monitor, thus some software was using the profile of my laptop monitor, other software I had specifically identified the profile of my secondary calibrated monitor to use. Thus different profiles were actually being in use for a given monitor. I may be wrong here but that is my suspicion. My problem was that I had not rebooted after identifying my secondary monitor as the primary, thus some software used the laptop profile, while others used the profile I had instructed in the preferences for color management.

Daniel Schlender

PAStime Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Feb 2009Fri 30-Dec-11 03:10 PM
#28. "RE: Problem with color management"
In response to Reply # 27
Fri 30-Dec-11 03:13 PM by PAStime

Kingston, CA

>My conjecture is thus: different software handle
>colormanagement slightly differently, ie they were actually
>using different profiles...how can that be??...well, some
>software will default to using the primary or default booted
>monitor profile, others will use the profile you instruct

Hi Daniel.... yes that could be. It is so hard to tell or confirm without actually speaking with the authors of the software.

The application (be it PhotoMechanic, Capture NX2 or other) needs to convert the image data of the image file from its color space to a known color space, and then effectively convert it a second time according to adjustments needed as per the monitor profile. I believe the application in most (all?) situations does this explicitly (it is not automatically done by the operating system). I say this because I saw a post by the author of PhotoMechanic (Kirk Baker) where he said PhotoMechanic calls the colorsync (if I recall the name correctly) library routines if color management is turned on in the tool.

Thanks for the feedback!

Peter

buddyro48 Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Feb 2009Wed 04-Jan-12 03:09 AM
230 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#29. "RE: Problem with color management"
In response to Reply # 12

Santa Maria, US

Hello...

Just caught the tail of this thread and find it very informative..

Have a question though..I checked the preference tab of my CNX2 and
under the color management tab I noticed mine is set to "sRGB"..
Is it the opinion of the majority here that it should be set at
"Adobe RGB"...Rather new to "color management" so any help if very
much appreciated..

Thanks very much,
Michael

PAStime Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Feb 2009Wed 04-Jan-12 11:57 AM
#30. "RE: Problem with color management"
In response to Reply # 29

Kingston, CA

I have Capture NX2 configured to work in the Adobe RGB color space.

It is larger than the sRGB so provides for an incrementally better image quality in certain circumstances. Generally you want to have the same color space used throughout your tool flow (from camera through to print processor.

Peter

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Wed 04-Jan-12 01:11 PM
8149 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#31. "RE: Problem with color management"
In response to Reply # 29

Atlanta, US

Michael

Peter is correct with the suggestion of AdobeRGB if your intended result is prints. Your monitor may also have some influence on your decision since AdobeRGB operates outside the range of many monitors (meaning you may not see the colors you are editing). But if you are planning to share on the web, you will need to convert from AdobeRGB to sRGB and make any color adjustments, or simply work in sRGB throughout the process. This may mean you end up with two separate versions of an image - and Capture handles versions nicely.

There is nothing wrong with working in sRGB. While it may not maximize the colors in your image, it is the lowest common denominator for monitors, prints and the web.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

buddyro48 Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Feb 2009Wed 04-Jan-12 04:26 PM
230 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#32. "RE: Problem with color management"
In response to Reply # 31

Santa Maria, US

Thanks Eric & Peter

It looks like I should run some tests to see exactly what I come up with. I don't do much web posting other than an occasional post here.I have an HP Photosmart 8150 that I print a few 8X10 sometimes but most of my printing is done through Costco..Those seem to come back at pretty much what I see on my monitor

Love this site...constantly learning.

Thanks again for the help,

Regards,
Michael

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #7591 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.