Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #7589
View in linear mode

Subject: "Capture NX 2.3 performance review and benchmarks" Previous topic | Next topic
DrJay32 Gold Member Awarded for his multiple written contributions for the Resources and eZine Nikonian since 12th Mar 2003Tue 20-Dec-11 07:27 PM
3327 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Capture NX 2.3 performance review and benchmarks"

Colorado Springs, US

I just posted my benchmarks of Capture NX 2.3 vs. 2.2.8.

http://www.luminescentphoto.com/blog/2011/12/20/nikon-capture-nx-2-3-performance-review/

Jason P. Odell
Colorado Nikonian
Author, The Photographer's Guide series of eBooks
Capture NX, Nik Silver Efex Pro, Digital Landscapes

www.luminescentphoto.com

Read my blog

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Capture NX 2.3 performance review and benchmarks
Asgard Administrator
20th Dec 2011
ajbrenn Silver Member
20th Dec 2011
Covey22 Moderator
21st Dec 2011
mklass Platinum Member
21st Dec 2011
ericbowles Moderator
21st Dec 2011
dralph Gold Member
21st Dec 2011
DeanAZ Moderator
21st Dec 2011
DrJay32 Gold Member
21st Dec 2011
PAStime Silver Member
21st Dec 2011
Chuckster902 Silver Member
22nd Dec 2011

Asgard Administrator He is your Chief Guardian Angel at the Helpdesk and knows a lot about a lot Nikonian since 07th Apr 2004Tue 20-Dec-11 08:47 PM
51404 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Capture NX 2.3 performance review and benchmarks"
In response to Reply # 0

East Frisia, DE

Good to know.

Thanks for testing.

Gerold - Nikonian in East Frisia
Eala Freya Fresena

ajbrenn Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Sep 2006Tue 20-Dec-11 11:36 PM
33 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Capture NX 2.3 performance review and benchmarks"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Great review Jason. Thanks

Covey22 Moderator Expert in various fields including aviation photography Awarded for his contributions to the Resources and The Nikonian eZine Charter MemberWed 21-Dec-11 01:01 AM
10705 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Capture NX 2.3 performance review and benchmarks"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Caution for Color Efex Pro users. If you are running Windows 7 AND you choose to upgrade Capture NX2 in-place (meaning you DON'T fully uninstall THEN reinstall), you are NOT given the choice of 32-bit versus 64-bit. The installer automatically gives you 64-bit period.

"Toodle-loo from Covey22!"

-Armando
Nikonians Team
Nikonians News - Fresh Everyday!

The Covey Blog!

My Plan:

Get out of the car.
Get closer to the subject.
Pick the right mid-tone this time.

See My Nikonians Gallery

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Wed 21-Dec-11 03:45 AM
6011 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Capture NX 2.3 performance review and benchmarks"
In response to Reply # 3

Tacoma, US

Not necessarily true. I install CNS 2.3 on a Win 7 simetem updating the existing 32 bit application. I was given the choice of 32 or 64 bit installation. It installed the 32 bit version, as requested. (However, trying to use Color Efex Pro 3 causes a CNX crash.)

Mick
www.mickklassphoto.com
or
Visit my nikonians gallery

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Wed 21-Dec-11 10:34 AM
8738 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Capture NX 2.3 performance review and benchmarks"
In response to Reply # 6

Atlanta, US

I was also given the choice of installing 32 bit or 64 bit. The 32 bit was the default.

I have briefly tested CEP within CNX2 and the filters seem to be working just fine. I have not had a problem with crashes.

Performance does seem to be better. Loading the browser is faster and images seem to be quicker to reapply edit steps when you have made a change higher in the edit list.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

dralph Gold Member Nikonian since 16th Jul 2006Wed 21-Dec-11 02:32 AM
269 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Capture NX 2.3 performance review and benchmarks"
In response to Reply # 0

Elmira, US

Jason,

Thanks for the performance reports.

I use the NIK filters extensively, and have the full set in CS5, and Color Efex 3 in CNX2.

I swallowed hard, and installed the 32 bit version of NX 2.3 on my 64 bit system (Win 7). wondering what I was giving up since Nik and Nikon have not yet integrated the two software set. I wondered if I should abandon Color Efex 3 in NX2, and only use the Nik filters in PS.

I really prefer editing in NX2. Is there any hint that two companies will integrate these software suites?

Not doing so drives folks like me to PS when I want to use, say, Silver Efex or any of the other filters.

Yet, NX2 provides a better interface for using Color Efex than does PS with its extra tools.

DeanAZ Moderator Expert nature photographer Nikonian since 28th Apr 2007Wed 21-Dec-11 03:32 AM
3707 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Capture NX 2.3 performance review and benchmarks"
In response to Reply # 0

Phoenix, US

Thanks for the testing, Jason. I've been using it all evening and have really noticed the speed differences and have experienced no buggy behavior. (Win 7 64 bit 8GB ram AMD Phenom II X6) No need to attempt any overclocking as it slices through all the editing steps like butter. I may take more photos now and spend less time processing

Dean
Phoenix, Arizona USA
Nikonians Team Member

Recent Trips: Grand Canyon 2012 Glen Canyon 2012 West Clear Creek

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

DrJay32 Gold Member Awarded for his multiple written contributions for the Resources and eZine Nikonian since 12th Mar 2003Wed 21-Dec-11 12:33 PM
3327 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Capture NX 2.3 performance review and benchmarks"
In response to Reply # 0

Colorado Springs, US

A couple of thoughts:

1) You need Color Efex Pro 3.003 for compatibility
2) I think that the option for a 32-bit install is provided if CEP3 is detected (but I'm not entirely sure)

-Jason

Jason P. Odell
Colorado Nikonian
Author, The Photographer's Guide series of eBooks
Capture NX, Nik Silver Efex Pro, Digital Landscapes

www.luminescentphoto.com

PAStime Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Feb 2009Wed 21-Dec-11 07:18 PM
2670 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Capture NX 2.3 performance review and benchmarks"
In response to Reply # 8
Wed 21-Dec-11 07:19 PM by PAStime

Kingston, CA

Hi Jason,

Your benchmarks results seem reasonable to me. My limited and subjective assessment of Capture NX2 2.3 is that it is significantly faster than the previous version. On my mid/high performance Windows 7 workstation, exiting a worked-on NEF happens almost instantly - the progress bar flashes up and immediately disappears. Before I used to watch the progress bar for 5 or sometimes even 10 seconds. Peter

Chuckster902 Silver Member Nikonian since 11th Nov 2005Thu 22-Dec-11 01:02 AM
99 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Capture NX 2.3 performance review and benchmarks"
In response to Reply # 9

Scotia, US

I am having no problems running Capture NX2 2.3 on my mac. As Jason noted it does run and render much faster. It did ask for Capture NX1 and NX2 product keys. I can understand asking for NX2 but not NX1. Glad the upgrade is here.

Chuck S.

"Life is Messy."

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #7589 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.