nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #756
View in linear mode

Subject: "Capture NX2 and Photoshop CS4" Previous topic | Next topic
myester Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Nov 2009Sun 29-Nov-09 12:21 PM
18 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Capture NX2 and Photoshop CS4"

US

I currently own Photoshop CS4 and have recently purchased the D90. Is there any advantage to buying Capture NX2 if I already have PS CS4?

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

F1 Fan Registered since 13th Jan 2007Sun 29-Nov-09 03:19 PM
484 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Capture NX2 and Photoshop CS4"
In response to Reply # 0
Sun 29-Nov-09 03:19 PM by F1 Fan

St. Louis, US

This is a highly contested argument.

If you are proficient with CS4 and only do adjustments to copies of your files, many find NX2 not to be necessary. Especially with third party software that allows for easier localized editing. I primarily use CS4 for "Event" layouts, cloning type work and fast picture resizing for the web. The main reasons for the limited use is I do not consider myself to be proficient enough to work quickly and CS4 is a pixel editor where NX2 is a RAW data editor.

I have spent most of my time working with NX#. It is a bit different with the CUI, but not too hard to understand and get used to. One of the best features of NX2 is the "Color Control Points" allowing for easy application, either Adding or Negating, edits steps locally. If you have the NIK software for CS4 installed, you can have the same latitude with the application locally.

NX2 is a RAW editor. The edits do not effect the original data. You can come back at any time and change the image without worries. This is true of LightRoom as well as other third party software.
I feel the advantage, for me, of using NX2 is the ability to accurately read the "In Camera" settings and have them applied automatically. "Picture Control" is a feature that will allow different model cameras to have the same look. So if you are only using one camera now, this would not seem to be a valid argument. However, after setting your camera up to get GOOD results using the "Picture Control" feature, on your next camera, the same "Picture Control" settings can be used and results will not be different than what you were used to. You will get the same color saturation, contrast and overall exposure as the previous camera. When I switched from D200 to the D300, I just installed the "D2X mode 2" picture control and my editing work was basically the same. Each camera will produce a slightly different looking image do to the sensor and processor used. Nikon's engineers created "Picture Control" to help establish consistency.
You can create "Pre-Sets" in Lightroom and apply them to your files when importing to get the initial look you want for each camera. I'm guessing CS4 can as well, not sure.

Other nice features, NX2 has is a built in "Lens Distortion Correction" for the Nikon lenses. Nikon also has "Active D-Lighting" which helps when the dynamic range of the scene exceeds the camera specs. That is, it will help bring out details in the darker areas of the scene. NX2, for now, is the only software that will read this properly and if you have it on in the camera, I use the "Low" setting, you can turn it up in NX2 if needed.

So, is there an advantage? Yes. Do you need it? Only you can say.

Mark,
www.MarkHornePhotography.com

Life is short. Live it as an Exclamation, not an Explanation.

myester Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Nov 2009Sun 29-Nov-09 03:44 PM
18 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Capture NX2 and Photoshop CS4"
In response to Reply # 1

US

Thanks Mark. I'm strictly a hobbyist and trying to learn as much as possible. I'm new to the DSLR world with the D90 being my first DSLR. My only other digital camera before this one was the Sony f-717 which was a great camera.

nwcs Silver Member Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Landscape and Wildlife Photography Nikonian since 15th Jan 2006Sun 29-Nov-09 04:18 PM
6892 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Capture NX2 and Photoshop CS4"
In response to Reply # 1

Knoxville, US

There are a few things to consider with NX2. I think it does the best raw conversion but it's not entirely a raw editor as is commonly believed. Each edit step, while not destructive in the sense you can delete it later, does operate destructively on the image data. So it's removable, like a layer is in Photoshop, but how it actually processes the data after the develop step is destructive.

Should the original poster get NX2? Best way is to download the demo and trying it out. There are certain things I like about NX2 but Photoshop has nearly closed the gap and they are far faster in processing than NX2.

gheck58 Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Dec 2003Mon 30-Nov-09 06:36 PM
2784 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Capture NX2 and Photoshop CS4"
In response to Reply # 3

Aliso Viejo, US

The main reasons to use NX2 is if you primarily shoot in RAW and want the most out of a NEF file. I haven't seen any other RAW converter that can match Capture's results. Plus the Picture Control and Control Point features are worth the price alone.

Hecky

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #756 Previous topic | Next topic