Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #7460
View in linear mode

Subject: "Capture NX3" Previous topic | Next topic
DeanAZ Moderator Expert nature photographer Nikonian since 28th Apr 2007Sat 19-Nov-11 02:11 PM
3707 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Capture NX3"

Phoenix, US

The scoop from Nikon Rumors is that CNX3 is ready but it seems that they may be waiting to release the software to coincide with the next set of camera bodies (D800 D4?) With the recent release of the 64 bit codec I see no reason that this new software will not also be 64 bit based. A little bit late but it should be a big boost to performance. I would guess that part of the delay is the change in relationship with NIK and the fact that this is probably a ground up rework of the software as a result. If the U-point technology is not present however, I think this would be a deal breaker for me.

Dean
Phoenix, Arizona USA
Nikonians Team Member

Recent Trips: Grand Canyon 2012 Glen Canyon 2012 West Clear Creek

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Sat 19-Nov-11 03:10 PM
5575 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Capture NX3"
In response to Reply # 0

Tacoma, US

This is the same place that told us to expect a 36MP sensor camera a month ago?

I'll believe it when I see it.

Mick
www.mickklassphoto.com

nwcs Silver Member Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Landscape and Wildlife Photography Nikonian since 15th Jan 2006Sat 19-Nov-11 03:11 PM
6804 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Capture NX3"
In response to Reply # 0

Knoxville, US

Well, more like Capture NX2 2.3 is theoretically ready but not released (which is silly, I must say) than NX3. Specifically when Peter wrote "Do no expect Capture NX3 to be released any time soon."

I wouldn't necessarily say that 64 bit automatically equals performance. What is far more crucial to performance is properly written threading and utilization of processor cores. My understanding is that the raw conversion module part of NX (also available in the free SDK from Nikon) is single threaded. If that doesn't change then almost nothing else will really help speed up NX.

DeanAZ Moderator Expert nature photographer Nikonian since 28th Apr 2007Sun 20-Nov-11 03:29 AM
3707 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Capture NX3"
In response to Reply # 2

Phoenix, US

Looks like I missed the fine print or rather I wanted to see version 3 not the 2.3 that is rumored. If it is just for some new cameras and includes 64 bit support you are correct that this would not necessarily be a ground up change of the code.

Dean
Phoenix, Arizona USA
Nikonians Team Member

Recent Trips: Grand Canyon 2012 Glen Canyon 2012 West Clear Creek

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Fri 25-Nov-11 10:31 PM
12254 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#4. "RE: Capture NX3"
In response to Reply # 2

San Jose, US

I have just built a new computer replacing an 8 GB RAM machine running an Intel Core 2 Duo with a 16 GB RAM machine with an Intel i7-2600K processor both machines running Win 7 Pro 64 bit. Without CNX2 being 64 bit, I have seen an amazing improvement in how CNX2 runs and I would expect to see more performance if CNX2 was a 64 bit program even if single threaded. But my guess 64 bit CNX will wait for CNX3.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

"Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the
camera"

Retirement is a gift of time - Don't waste it!

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #7460 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.