Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #7382
View in linear mode

Subject: "View NX2 jpeg convert question" Previous topic | Next topic
fruitbat Gold Member Nikonian since 04th May 2007Tue 08-Nov-11 05:44 PM
145 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"View NX2 jpeg convert question"

Feltham, GB

Hi All can anybody shed some light. The question I have is this using the view NX2 convert file option to convert NEF files to jpeg for posting or email I have no problem but if I've done any editing and saved the file as NEF under Capture NX2 which shows that you have on the thumbnail image in View NX2 you then you lose the option to convert the file under Veiw NX2. through trial and error I have found if you have saved the edited file as a TIFF you can then convert as before. the question you will ask is why dont I save the file as a JPEG in the first place well yes I could and will probable do this in future but this is just something that puzzles me and I thought I would see if the more experienced users of the software can help. thanks for helping
Adam

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: View NX2 jpeg convert question
davidd1833 Silver Member
09th Nov 2011
DeanAZ Moderator
09th Nov 2011
danall Silver Member
09th Nov 2011
DeanAZ Moderator
09th Nov 2011
fruitbat Gold Member
09th Nov 2011

davidd1833 Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Feb 2006Wed 09-Nov-11 12:43 AM
426 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: View NX2 jpeg convert question"
In response to Reply # 0

Sydney, AU

Once a NEF file has been edited in Capture NX2, View NX2 is not able to do any further processing on the RAW file, it can only display the jpg that is contained in the RAW file. If you have converted to a TIFF or JPG then View NX2 can do further processing or conversion.

David

My Gallery

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

DeanAZ Moderator Expert nature photographer Nikonian since 28th Apr 2007Wed 09-Nov-11 02:57 AM
3707 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: View NX2 jpeg convert question"
In response to Reply # 1

Phoenix, US

If you consider the purpose of the VNX2 software, it does a great job of reading raw RAW files but RAW files that have been cooked contain a jpeg that can be displayed by VNX2 but since it is not CNX2 it can't render the RAW file according to the stored edit steps contained in the RAW file data.

I use the batch feature in CNX2 or simply do a Save As after first saving my edited NEF file to get jpegs for emailing.

Dean
Phoenix, Arizona USA
Nikonians Team Member

Recent Trips: Grand Canyon 2012 Glen Canyon 2012 West Clear Creek

danall Silver Member Nikonian since 16th Feb 2009Wed 09-Nov-11 04:21 PM
109 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#3. "RE: View NX2 jpeg convert question"
In response to Reply # 2

Springfield, US

DeanAZ...and others. I want to make sure I understand your reply and my understanding is correct. Viewnx2 will display my raw nef according to whatever I have set as far as camera presets (sharpness, picture mode etc). Now if i edit that file in CNX2 and say change a picture mode or white balance, but keep the file as a RAW nef, then when I redisplay this file in VIEWNX is will still appear as it did originally with the camera baked in settings, and will not display the CNX2 adjustments I made...is that correct? I think that is what you said in the above post?

Daniel Schlender

DeanAZ Moderator Expert nature photographer Nikonian since 28th Apr 2007Wed 09-Nov-11 04:37 PM
3707 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: View NX2 jpeg convert question"
In response to Reply # 3

Phoenix, US

No, it will not display the original baked in jpeg but will display the processed jpeg that is embedded into the NEF file. But while it will display the embedded processed jpeg, it can't process the file in any way including re-saving as a different file type or resizing. You will need to use CNX2 for those types of tasks.

Dean
Phoenix, Arizona USA
Nikonians Team Member

Recent Trips: Grand Canyon 2012 Glen Canyon 2012 West Clear Creek

fruitbat Gold Member Nikonian since 04th May 2007Wed 09-Nov-11 04:50 PM
145 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: View NX2 jpeg convert question"
In response to Reply # 4

Feltham, GB

Thankyou David,Dean and Daniel for clarifing the issue its helped me alot, again many thanks.
Adam

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #7382 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.