nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #737
View in linear mode

Subject: "NX2 on win7 64 cannot save to original file" Previous topic | Next topic
gaston Silver Member Nikonian since 26th May 2006Wed 25-Nov-09 01:25 AM
84 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"NX2 on win7 64 cannot save to original file"
Wed 25-Nov-09 01:34 AM by gaston

Vancouver Island, CA

I recently migrated to a newly built PC, one running win7 64. My photos have not moved, they are on the original 1 Tb drive.

Only problem is that when I edit then try to save a raw file in capture nx 2, I always get the same error: "Could not save file. Access to file denied"

The workaround is that I save to a new file (I just add a letter "a" to the filename) and continue on my merry way. I can save repeatedly to the new file.

One clue: the original files end in ".NEF" (not sure how the extension got uppercased) whereas when NX saves a file it ends in ".nef".

- James

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: NX2 on win7 64 cannot save to original file
jtmcg Gold Member
25th Nov 2009
swyost Silver Member
25th Nov 2009
C_Otto Gold Member
25th Nov 2009
jtmcg Gold Member
25th Nov 2009
C_Otto Gold Member
25th Nov 2009
gaperklake Silver Member
26th Nov 2009
gerphil Silver Member
27th Nov 2009
                    Reply message Problem solved
gaston Silver Member
29th Nov 2009
                         Reply message RE: Problem solved
gerphil Silver Member
30th Nov 2009
nikondaddy
30th Nov 2009

jtmcg Gold Member Nikonian since 22nd Mar 2007Wed 25-Nov-09 12:40 PM
3956 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: NX2 on win7 64 cannot save to original file"
In response to Reply # 0

Simsbury, US

I have had the same problem running on Vista Home Premium. Once I save an NEF the first time, if I try do change any of the edits or add an edit and re-save I get that error message. I wrote to Nikon about it in Ocober and they put me through some exercises which didn't solve the problem. Then I found this thread on dpreview http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1021&message=28577634.

So it's a common problem and probably not related to Win7 64. I forwarded the link to Nikon and they had never heard of it(!). They should check some of the more active forums to see what's going on.

John

swyost Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Aug 2007Wed 25-Nov-09 05:24 PM
693 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: NX2 on win7 64 cannot save to original file"
In response to Reply # 1

US

Try right clicking on the drive (or folder) and then choose security. If you don't already have full permissions set, choose edit and change the option to allow full control. In my experience, more often than not, that is the source of this problem after a Windows 7 upgrade.

Stephen

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

C_Otto Gold Member Nikonian since 12th Apr 2002Wed 25-Nov-09 02:08 PM
1412 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: NX2 on win7 64 cannot save to original file"
In response to Reply # 0

Manchester, US

Try right-clicking on one of the original files and choose Properties to make certain that the file is not marked Read Only.

Cliff
Manchester, NH, USA

jtmcg Gold Member Nikonian since 22nd Mar 2007Wed 25-Nov-09 02:55 PM
3956 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: NX2 on win7 64 cannot save to original file"
In response to Reply # 2

Simsbury, US

Tried that and it wasn't Read Only. I had been using NX2 and had not had this problem, then it arose and I haven't been able to get rid of it. I uninstalled and reinstalled NX2 and I went back to V2.2.0. Nothing helps.

Since it appears to be a common problem it looks like a program glitch. I don't know what triggers it but it seems to be persistent once it appears.

John

C_Otto Gold Member Nikonian since 12th Apr 2002Wed 25-Nov-09 04:11 PM
1412 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: NX2 on win7 64 cannot save to original file"
In response to Reply # 3

Manchester, US

Sorry that wasn't the cure. I'm using NX2 on Win 7 (64-bit), upgraded from Vista (64-bit,) and I haven't had a problem.

Cliff
Manchester, NH, USA

gaperklake Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Mar 2007Thu 26-Nov-09 05:08 PM
334 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: NX2 on win7 64 cannot save to original file"
In response to Reply # 4

Reno, US

Hello,

In anticipation of receiving a replacement laptop from Dell, I called Nikon tech support to find out if NX2 is compatible with Windows 7 64 bit. The tech said Nikon doesn't expect it to have it compatible until the end of December. I called three days ago.

Guy

gerphil Silver Member Charter MemberFri 27-Nov-09 02:43 PM
181 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: NX2 on win7 64 cannot save to original file"
In response to Reply # 6
Fri 27-Nov-09 02:51 PM by gerphil

Haarlem, NL

My gut feeling says that it relates to the ownership of the files - not to NX2. If on that 1 Tb drive you also have other files, like a Word file, you could check this by trying to open/edit/save it. If you have the same issue in Word then it is defintely an ownership issue you can find here (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421/en-us ) at the bottom how you can make yourself the owner of the folders. This describes it for XP, but in W7 it shouldn't be much different - at least you get a hint. I hope this helps.

Success!
Gerphil

gaston Silver Member Nikonian since 26th May 2006Sun 29-Nov-09 04:59 PM
84 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "Problem solved"
In response to Reply # 7

Vancouver Island, CA

Thanks for all of the helpful suggestions.

I went to the root directory and changed file permissions and this solved the issue. Using file manager I chose properties, then the security tab, and then I gave myself all access rights. The confusing thing -- and I've yet to have time to read up on win7 users -- is the large number of default users. I just assumed that as the sole user I would have all rights.

- James

gerphil Silver Member Charter MemberMon 30-Nov-09 08:20 AM
181 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Problem solved"
In response to Reply # 8

Haarlem, NL

I am happy it worked. I am planning migrating to Win7 as well - with a very similar set-up (keeping the disk with all files in tact), and I anticipated already that I would get a similar issue like you. I just wait with migrating until NX2 is 64bit and Win7 proof - things still work great on XP so I wait patiently (and lazily to be honest). But enjoy Win7!

Cheersd,
Gerphil

nikondaddy Registered since 19th May 2008Mon 30-Nov-09 11:04 PM
27 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: NX2 on win7 64 cannot save to original file"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi all,

When I installed Windows7 onto my now dual boot computer, I ran into this problem frequently as most of the folders, files etc. contained on the XP64 system would kick out this error. After a little research
I found this little fix for the problem.
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/1911-take-ownership-shortcut.html
Just download and install this little registry fix and every time you run into the problem, just right click and it will fix it right up for you

Neil

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #737 Previous topic | Next topic