Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #7333
View in linear mode

Subject: "View NX2 Not Bad" Previous topic | Next topic
JerryLoSardo Silver Member Charter MemberFri 04-Nov-11 09:53 AM
842 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"View NX2 Not Bad"

Frederick, US

For years now I've been using either Photo Mechanic or LR3 for my browser. On a whim I decided to download View NX2 and give it a whirl. Not bad at all! I like the style and the look & feel, and all the functionality that I need is there, to include simple editing (picture control, d-lighting, cropping, straightening, sharpening, etc), and, when I need it, complete integration with CNX2. I realize I'm a little late to the party, but am I missing something? Seems like I'm always on a search for better software, and yet we have very effective tools that are available from Nikon for free. Just my $.02.

Jerry LoSardo
Frederick, Maryland

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: View NX2 Not Bad
glxman Silver Member
04th Nov 2011
JerryLoSardo Silver Member
04th Nov 2011
vharperv
05th Nov 2011
ericbowles Moderator
04th Nov 2011
04th Nov 2011
robsb Platinum Member
04th Nov 2011
04th Nov 2011
davidd1833 Silver Member
05th Nov 2011
robsb Platinum Member
05th Nov 2011
cliddell Silver Member
05th Nov 2011
05th Nov 2011
MAK
06th Nov 2011
DeanAZ Moderator
05th Nov 2011

glxman Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Oct 2008Fri 04-Nov-11 10:58 AM
2809 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: View NX2 Not Bad"
In response to Reply # 0

South Australia, AU

True, Jerry,
But Capture NX2 does offer a whole lot more control over your PP,
I do agree,
In some shoots, View NX2 is all we need, but I must admit, I use Capture NX2 a lot because of its selective and powerful editing options
Regards,
Gary

My Nikonians Gallery

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

I have a photographic memory but never got it developed!

JerryLoSardo Silver Member Charter MemberFri 04-Nov-11 06:46 PM
842 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: View NX2 Not Bad"
In response to Reply # 1

Frederick, US

Gary,

Agree totally; I didn't mean to imply that I no longer needed CNX2; for example, with the limited time I had to play with View this morning, I immediately saw that applying D-lighting was much more effective in CNX2 than in View. So yes, I suspect CNX2 will continue to be a big part of my workflow.

It's just that I was pleasantly surprised by the new elegant Lightroom-like look and feel. I'm used to Nikon products having a clunky-but-effective look and feel, so I was taken aback by that and View's robust functionality!

Jerry LoSardo
Frederick, Maryland

vharperv Registered since 20th Oct 2011Sat 05-Nov-11 03:22 AM
9 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: View NX2 Not Bad"
In response to Reply # 1

AU

I agree view nx2 is a great improvement. I have ordered capturenx2 and had run out of my free trial. I have been using view nx2 to do some work on the nef files, mostly just sometimes exposure and then just converting to tifs to fine tune in photoshop cs3
My Capture should arrive tomorrow but I have found working with viewnx2 has been ok.

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Fri 04-Nov-11 11:33 AM
8147 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: View NX2 Not Bad"
In response to Reply # 0

Atlanta, US

Jerry

I think you have accurately described the value of View NX2. It is much improved.

I use it as my browser, for rating images, and for my initial edits. If I am shooting events or other large volume work, View handles everything. It even allows changes to picture controls settings or white balance. And as long as edits have been made in View, the Convert feature does a nice job of rendering JPEG or TIFF images from your RAW files. Convert also does a nice job of resizing for the web. Once you have made any edits in Capture, you can no longer convert in View.

For fine editing I always go from View to Capture. I find the Sharpening adjustment in View to be a little coarse and remove all sharpening when I move to Capture. I never use D-Lighting in View but selectively will use D-Lighting in Capture.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

JerryLoSardo Silver Member Charter MemberFri 04-Nov-11 06:54 PM
#5. "RE: View NX2 Not Bad"
In response to Reply # 2

Frederick, US

Eric,

Interesting, I didn't realize that once you make edits in capture, you can no longer convert in View. And yes, as I stated in my earlier email, my initial impressions are that the D-Lighting does function much better in CNX2, so that will also be a factor in my workflow.

I'm totally out of my element with this question, but: is it possible that Nikon (or Nik, I could never get straight in my mind who actually owns CNX2) has concluded that View provides all the necessary functionality needed for a NEF converter/editor, and so they've decided to not invest anymore resources into CNX2?

Jerry LoSardo
Frederick, Maryland

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Fri 04-Nov-11 06:02 PM
12254 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#3. "RE: View NX2 Not Bad"
In response to Reply # 0

San Jose, US

Viewnx2 was a major improvement over ViewNX, I use it along with Transfer to ingest and rate my images which I then import into CNX2 to edit. While I own Photoshop CS5 Extended, I only go there to do things like perspective corrections or pano, etc i.e things I can't do in CNX2, which is really just a small subset. I just prefer having all my edits in a single NEF that I can re-edit at any time.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

"Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the
camera"

Retirement is a gift of time - Don't waste it!

JerryLoSardo Silver Member Charter MemberFri 04-Nov-11 06:58 PM
#6. "RE: View NX2 Not Bad"
In response to Reply # 3

Frederick, US

Bob,

You reminded me of a question that I had this morning before I had to shut down the computer and go to work: can I use View to also ingest my photos, or do I have to download Transfer for that? If I need Transfer, then I would require a trio of Nikon software (Transfer, View NX2 and CNX2) in order to ingest, browse, and do more complex editing, is that correct?

Jerry LoSardo
Frederick, Maryland

davidd1833 Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Feb 2006Sat 05-Nov-11 12:50 AM
415 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: View NX2 Not Bad"
In response to Reply # 6

Sydney, AU

Hi

The new ViewNX2 includes Transfer, you don't need a seperate program.

David

My Gallery

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Sat 05-Nov-11 01:34 AM
12254 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#8. "RE: View NX2 Not Bad"
In response to Reply # 6

San Jose, US

David already answered you, but if you look at the top tool bar 4 symbols from the left (right next to the edit icon), you will see the Transfer Icon. This replaces the old standalone transfer program. Transfer will save your images to 2 locations at once and let you rename the files as you ingest them. I keep a separate file on a separate drive that stores an untouched copy of each and every NEF image I download. This ensures that I always have a pristine backup. My general mode is store in two places and then make an extra copy of finished images that I also store on a separate drive. This weekend I am building a new computer with much larger drives and a HD hot swap docking station, so I expect to store my images first on a RAID 1 drive and then as a minimum on my networked storage which is also RAID 1. I may also save a copy on a none RAID drive and if I really get paranoid, I may save yet another copy to a hot swap drive.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

"Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the
camera"

Retirement is a gift of time - Don't waste it!

cliddell Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Oct 2006Sat 05-Nov-11 03:52 AM
987 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: View NX2 Not Bad"
In response to Reply # 8

Pietermaritzburg, ZA

The "Subject" is incorrect as far as I am concerned - should be "ViewNX2 is rather good!"

Using just one program (VNX2) saves me so much time for the everyday stuff that will probably be sent by email anyway...

For paid work and special or problem images I usually process all images in CNX2 but VNX2 is still my browser. After Saving in CNX the saved image is immediately displayed in VNX ready for browsing (I run with both programs open and switch with Alt-Tab).

Regards,
Clive Liddell
Pietermaritzburg
South Africa

JerryLoSardo Silver Member Charter MemberSat 05-Nov-11 09:19 AM
#12. "RE: View NX2 Not Bad"
In response to Reply # 8

Frederick, US

All,

Thanks for the input and information. Last question: I notice that you can assign keywords within View, and it also displays keywords that I already assigned either in CNX2 or in Photo Mechanic. Within View, can one also performa a search by keyword?

Jerry LoSardo
Frederick, Maryland

MAK Registered since 06th Sep 2006Sun 06-Nov-11 04:00 PM
373 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: View NX2 Not Bad"
In response to Reply # 3

US

Bob - Does VNX2 allow long file naming conventions? 2011-11-07_event_seq# is my standard and I have to use Photo Mechanic to get anything that long.

I have not tried the update to VNX2, but the previous 2.0 version did not.

Thank you.

DeanAZ Moderator Expert nature photographer Nikonian since 28th Apr 2007Sat 05-Nov-11 04:44 AM
3707 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: View NX2 Not Bad"
In response to Reply # 0

Phoenix, US

I too use View NX2 as my browser and edit primarily in CNX2 but I find VNX2 very convenient to organize and do some quick edits. The only thing I miss from vnx1 is the double click feature when working with dual monitors where you could double click on the thumbnail and open the full screen view and then double click again on the same thumbnail to close the full screen view. now once you open the full screen preview you need to fit the escape key or click on the return button in the upper right corner.

Dean
Phoenix, Arizona USA
Nikonians Team Member

Recent Trips: Grand Canyon 2012 Glen Canyon 2012 West Clear Creek

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #7333 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.