nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #7323
View in linear mode

Subject: "Last Nail in the Coffin of Capture NX2" Previous topic | Next topic
sfbillm Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jun 2004Thu 03-Nov-11 03:40 PM
864 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Last Nail in the Coffin of Capture NX2"

Santa Fe, US

I just checked the Nikon U.S. site. Color Efex Pro 3.0 is no longer listed when you bring up the the display of available imaging software.
And of course it's been gone from the Nik site for a little while now.

If you search the Nikon site for Color Efex Pro 3.0, you find it listed as an 'Archived Product' - in other words, it's no longer for sale. A search of the Nikon store confirms this.

So Nikon has pulled the only plug-in that was available for NX2. Clearly Nikon has decided that the NX line is not to have a future.

SantaFeBill

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Last Nail in the Coffin of Capture NX2
FrankSRGB Silver Member
03rd Nov 2011
mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
03rd Nov 2011
glxman Silver Member
04th Nov 2011
spiritualized67 Silver Member
03rd Nov 2011
nrothschild Silver Member Neil is an expert in several areas, including camera support
04th Nov 2011
cliddell Silver Member
04th Nov 2011
spiritualized67 Silver Member
05th Nov 2011
nwcs Silver Member Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Landscape and Wildlife Photography
07th Nov 2011
mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
07th Nov 2011
ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community
04th Nov 2011
glxman Silver Member
04th Nov 2011
04th Nov 2011
ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community
04th Nov 2011
04th Nov 2011
Reply message RE: But Why?
sfbillm Silver Member
04th Nov 2011
Reply message RE: But Why?
dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community
06th Nov 2011
Kidkett Silver Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
04th Nov 2011
Hotswimmer Silver Member
05th Nov 2011
gerphil Silver Member
08th Nov 2011
Hotswimmer Silver Member
08th Nov 2011
Benchdog Silver Member
09th Nov 2011
09th Nov 2011

FrankSRGB Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Aug 2009Thu 03-Nov-11 04:15 PM
103 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Last Nail in the Coffin of Capture NX2"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Unless they've decided to make CEP 4.0 available to CNX users. As well, there have been rumors that CNX3 will include CEP filters.

Nothing is clear from Nikon until they announce it.

Regards,
Frank

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Thu 03-Nov-11 04:30 PM
6252 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Last Nail in the Coffin of Capture NX2"
In response to Reply # 1

Tacoma, US

I agree, it certainly isn't clear that Capture NX(x) is dead. Moribund, maybe, but given Nikon's problems maybe it is taking a backseat to getting the plants up and running again.

On the other hand, the software engineers are a different group and disks can be produced anywhere. Might be a good time to release a new software version to give the faithful something to play with while we wait for new hardware.

Mick
www.mickklassphoto.com

glxman Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Oct 2008Fri 04-Nov-11 05:25 AM
3021 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Last Nail in the Coffin of Capture NX2"
In response to Reply # 1

South Australia, AU

I hope not,
I've become quite good with the options in CNX2,
I'm just praying for,
Cloning and Montage in the 3 version

Budget wise, especially for Australian users, Photoshop is way to expensive unless you can access the student prices so CNX is a good economic option IMHO

Regards,
Gary

spiritualized67 Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Mar 2007Thu 03-Nov-11 07:43 PM
3178 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Last Nail in the Coffin of Capture NX2"
In response to Reply # 0

Western PA, US

I don't think NX2 is dead, although I wouldn't put it past Nikon to sell their share to NIK, which would make sense.

Let a software company like NIK support this product from now on, and allow Nikon focus on cameras, lenses and other imaging products. Dumping this would free up resources and cash.

It will be interesting to see what happens in the next 6-12 months - especially as new Nikon models (like the mystery D800 and/or D4 trickle out) - and with new operating systems like Lion becoming more prevalent.

Clearly NX2 is in line for a refresh. Just not sure it will be Nikon taking the lead on this. Just a hunch on my part and not backed up by any facts.

~Dan

nrothschild Silver Member Neil is an expert in several areas, including camera support Nikonian since 25th Jul 2004Fri 04-Nov-11 02:49 AM
10916 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Last Nail in the Coffin of Capture NX2"
In response to Reply # 3

US

>> I don't think NX2 is dead, although I wouldn't put it past Nikon to sell their share to NIK, which would make sense.

This is obviously pure speculation on all our parts but I would be amazed if Nikon sold off their interest in CNX.

Nikon makes cameras and that is their primary business. However, without a raw converter the output from their product is just a bunch of useless digital bits (in-camera JPGs excepted of course).

It is hard to conceive that Nikon would put themselves in a position where the basic output from their cameras is beholden to a software company they have no control over.

In that sense they would lose all control over the image quality of their cameras and that is unthinkable.

Just my opinion.

my Nikonians gallery.

cliddell Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Oct 2006Fri 04-Nov-11 08:00 AM
1003 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Last Nail in the Coffin of Capture NX2"
In response to Reply # 4
Fri 04-Nov-11 08:01 AM by cliddell

Pietermaritzburg, ZA

I agree with you Neil.

I have worked with all the Nikon software for more than 10 years and always it has been and still is more than adequate for my purposes.

Yes it would be nice to have perspective correction and even frames for those who must but, up to now, I have not needed to use many of the existing tools in NX2.

So my vote is for Nikon to keep their steady hand on NX'n'...

Regards,
Clive Liddell
Pietermaritzburg
South Africa

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

spiritualized67 Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Mar 2007Sat 05-Nov-11 04:04 AM
3178 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: Last Nail in the Coffin of Capture NX2"
In response to Reply # 4

Western PA, US

Good points Neil and a solid opinion.

~Dan

nwcs Silver Member Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Landscape and Wildlife Photography Nikonian since 15th Jan 2006Mon 07-Nov-11 05:56 PM
6892 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#17. "RE: Last Nail in the Coffin of Capture NX2"
In response to Reply # 4

Knoxville, US

I don't know. I mean I never hear of Canon pros using DPP. I remember when View NX 2 was released and in the flickr group the Nikon rep at the time danced around the topic of whether View NX would be all Nikon maintains from here on out since it had very basic editing. It wouldn't surprise me if NX2 is dead and View NX2 continues on.

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Mon 07-Nov-11 07:02 PM
6252 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#18. "RE: Last Nail in the Coffin of Capture NX2"
In response to Reply # 17

Tacoma, US

That would be a shame. There is no way to do in VNX what you can do in CNX. VNX is great for snapshots, but not too good for any artistic controls.

Perhaps that is all Nikon wants to offer is something for the consumer and let those more serious about their photography rely on Adobe.

Mick
www.mickklassphoto.com

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Fri 04-Nov-11 11:35 AM
8918 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Last Nail in the Coffin of Capture NX2"
In response to Reply # 0

Atlanta, US

We can't underestimate the impact of delays with the new camera bodies on Capture NX3. The camera bodies have been impacted by both earthquakes and floods. We don't have specifics, but it seems pretty clear Nikon planned to release a camera body this year before holiday shopping.

It is very likely that Capture NX3 would have been released at the same time. It is also likely that NX3 would have supported the new cameras in the list of cameras supported. But more important, if there was a major functional enhancement via software in the camera, the ability to control that function in NX3 would have also been present.

Nik is a separate company and was not limited by the camera production issue. For Nik, while the loss of the CNX link had an impact, it would be even more costly to wait on delivery of the Photoshop/Lightroom version when it was completely finished. They have no incentive to miss the holiday shopping season.

From a software standpoint it is very difficult to open a package and remove elements of that package. There are implications on a lot of other functionality and then everything needs to be fully tested. We are talking about a delay of months. To remove major functions in image processing capability would simply not work. And this goes for both NX3 and the related Nik plugins.

Nik can't release without NX3 which can't release without cameras. So my take is when we get cameras we'll also get software.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

glxman Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Oct 2008Fri 04-Nov-11 11:51 AM
3021 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Last Nail in the Coffin of Capture NX2"
In response to Reply # 7

South Australia, AU

Well said Eric!
Have to agree 100%
Regards,
Gary

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Fri 04-Nov-11 01:52 PM
#9. "RE: Last Nail in the Coffin of Capture NX2"
In response to Reply # 7

Tacoma, US

There would be no need to remove features for non-existent camera. They would just be latent until the cameras are released. In the meantime, the rest of us get improved software to use with our images from existing bodies, which would (hopefully) have been features of the new software version, anyway. After all, the RAW format of the D8x isn't going to change what comes out of my D700.

I imaging Nikon is far more concerned about getting it's hardware production capabilities back on stream, and just isn't thinking software.

Mick
www.mickklassphoto.com

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Fri 04-Nov-11 03:22 PM
8918 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: Last Nail in the Coffin of Capture NX2"
In response to Reply # 9

Atlanta, US

<There would be no need to remove features for non-existent camera. They would just be latent until the cameras are released. In the meantime, the rest of us get improved software to use with our images from existing bodies, which would (hopefully) have been features of the new software version, anyway. After all, the RAW format of the D8x isn't going to change what comes out of my D700.>

You could design software that made features latent, but that might be difficult and would be an early decision in planning a release rather than something you would design in later. It would also spark a whole series of conversations and questions about "buggy" functionality if they opened a package and tried to suppress certain things. It's the new features that cause the need for a new release. Of course there are other reasons including a potential redesign, but I expect we would have heard something about that.

If you remember, the enhanced functions in Capture and View have worked nicely when we are reprocessing older images from earlier cameras. I have no doubt that will happen again, so D700 images might be processed differently using new features, but it might take the D800/D4 NEF to fully take advantage of that capability.

I think you are right about the relative importance. The hardware schedule drives the software release. Nikon is above everything else a hardware company that uses software to improve hardware performance.

Of course, people with real knowledge are not going to be permitted to speak about the issues.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Fri 04-Nov-11 03:35 PM
#13. "RE: Last Nail in the Coffin of Capture NX2"
In response to Reply # 12

Tacoma, US

Eric,

Perhaps my terminology was wrong in the word "latent".

If features for cameras that are not yet released are designed into CNX3, what is the difference between using the software with the cameras not being released, or me not owning one of the new cameras but using it with images from my older Nikon?

Seems to me they could release the software before the camera releases and it makes no difference.

Of course it might be a moot point anyway if the software is nowhere near ready anyway.

Fortunately, CNX2.2.8 is working fine for me and I continue to use it daily with CEP3. Life is good.

Mick
www.mickklassphoto.com

sfbillm Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jun 2004Fri 04-Nov-11 02:44 PM
864 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: But Why?"
In response to Reply # 0

Santa Fe, US

There's a lot of good thinking here about why we won't be getting NX3 anytime soon.

But it seems to me that it still doesn't explain why Nikon has pulled the CEP 3.0 Pro suite from sale.

Even if - or especially if - your new software version is going to be delayed, why not keep as much functionality for the current version as possible, if you intend to keep the software alive?

SantaFeBill

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006Sun 06-Nov-11 11:21 PM
11751 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: But Why?"
In response to Reply # 10

Lowden, US

" But it seems to me that it still doesn't explain why Nikon has pulled the CEP 3.0 Pro suite from sale."

Pulling the software from sale may be part of the agreement between Nik and Nikon as the companies part ways.

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa
Nikonians Photo Contest Director

Nikonians membership -
"My most important photographic investment, after the camera"

My Nikonians Gallery | SummersPhotoGraphic.com | My Crated Gallery
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Showcase your best work in any of our 7 Monthly Nikonians Photo contests.

Wildlife | Landscape | Macro | Sports | Travel | Online Assignments | Best of Nikonians 2014

Kidkett Silver Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 09th Apr 2010Fri 04-Nov-11 03:02 PM
434 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Last Nail in the Coffin of Capture NX2"
In response to Reply # 0

Campo, US

If you still want Color Efex Pro 3.0 the last I talked to Nik if you call and ask for it they will still sell it to you. Make the call and see.

Good Luck,
Bill

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Hotswimmer Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Apr 2008Sat 05-Nov-11 01:42 AM
384 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: Last Nail in the Coffin of Capture NX2"
In response to Reply # 11

Annapolis, US

>If you still want Color Efex Pro 3.0 the last I talked to Nik
>if you call and ask for it they will still sell it to you.
>Make the call and see.

This is correct. I just bought CEP 3.0 Pro for NX2 from Nik Software about 2 weeks ago. You can no longer buy it on the Nik web site, at least for now. You have to call in by telephone, but you can get it.

Call their Customer Service Department toll free at 1-888-284-4085 (+1-619-725-3150 outside of the US). Their office hours are Monday through Friday 8:30 am to 5:00 pm PST.

They told me at the time I spoke with them that support for CEP 3.0 for NX2 was being transitioned to Nikon. I'm guessing Nikon has their hands full with other matters right now, though.

gerphil Silver Member Charter MemberTue 08-Nov-11 08:45 AM
181 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#19. "RE: Last Nail in the Coffin of Capture NX2"
In response to Reply # 14

Haarlem, NL

I just checked http://www.niksoftware.com/index/en/entry.php and they certainly still have CEP 3.0 for Capture NX2 on offer. Look in the lower right corner, where it always has been. This is true for all of their European sites, just not for the US and other countries across the ocean (where Color Efex Pro 3.0 indeed disappeared from the frontpage. No clue why there is a difference.

Hotswimmer Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Apr 2008Tue 08-Nov-11 12:39 PM
384 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#20. "RE: Last Nail in the Coffin of Capture NX2"
In response to Reply # 19
Tue 08-Nov-11 06:06 PM by Hotswimmer

Annapolis, US

There are actually 2 places where CEP 3.0 for NX2 still shows up for purchase on the Nik web site(s). However, if you're in the United States:

1) On their U.S. web site: When you try to purchase through the U.S. site, you will get a shopping cart error - "Error: A product by that id does not exist."

2) On their international web site, which is where the purchase/registration link inside the software actually takes you: When you try to purchase and you are asked to select which country you are in when you enter your address and credit card information, "United States" is not on the pick list, and you will be unable to complete the transaction. I have no idea if the transaction will go through if you are elsewhere in the world, though I suspect probably not.

I have no idea why Nik didn't simply remove the product from their web site instead of letting an error occur when you try to purchase.

Benchdog Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Sep 2006Wed 09-Nov-11 01:06 AM
24 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#21. "RE: Last Nail in the Coffin of Capture NX2"
In response to Reply # 0

Allentown, US

For what it's worth, I recently attended the PhotoPlus Expo in NYC and spoke with Nikon about Capture. I was told there will be a version 3. No surprise that they did not tell me a release date (I think they said soon)or go into any detail (64-bit?). I also spoke with the Nik folks. They still have a relationship with Nikon and all Nikon has to do is "write the check."
Don Schroder
www.donschroder.com

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Wed 09-Nov-11 01:31 AM
#22. "RE: Last Nail in the Coffin of Capture NX2"
In response to Reply # 21

Tacoma, US

>
>For what it's worth, I recently attended the PhotoPlus Expo in
>NYC and spoke with Nikon about Capture. I was told there will
>be a version 3. No surprise that they did not tell me a
>release date (I think they said soon)or go into any detail
>(64-bit?). I also spoke with the Nik folks. They still have a
>relationship with Nikon and all Nikon has to do is "write
>the check."
>Don Schroder
>www.donschroder.com

Maybe we should take up a collection and write it for them in order to get it done!

Mick
www.mickklassphoto.com

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #7323 Previous topic | Next topic