Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #7322
View in linear mode

Subject: "Anyone Upgrade to Color Efex Pro 4.0 for NX2?" Previous topic | Next topic
spiritualized67 Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Mar 2007Thu 03-Nov-11 02:35 PM
3059 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Anyone Upgrade to Color Efex Pro 4.0 for NX2?"

Western PA, US

I have 3.0 and love it. Just wondering if it's worth the $99 for the 4.0 upgrade?

~Dan
www.danielstainer.com

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Anyone Upgrade to Color Efex Pro 4.0 for NX2?
FrankSRGB Silver Member
03rd Nov 2011
Ciderfish Silver Member
03rd Nov 2011
spiritualized67 Silver Member
03rd Nov 2011
Kidkett Silver Member
04th Nov 2011
rbsandor Gold Member
04th Nov 2011
Kidkett Silver Member
04th Nov 2011
JohnE78 Silver Member
06th Nov 2011
davidd1833 Silver Member
06th Nov 2011
John_ZAR
09th Nov 2011
Kidkett Silver Member
07th Nov 2011
JohnE78 Silver Member
09th Nov 2011

FrankSRGB Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Aug 2009Thu 03-Nov-11 03:08 PM
103 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Anyone Upgrade to Color Efex Pro 4.0 for NX2?"
In response to Reply # 0

US

To my knowledge v4.0 is not available for CNX2.

Regards,
Frank

Ciderfish Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Aug 2008Thu 03-Nov-11 03:09 PM
114 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Anyone Upgrade to Color Efex Pro 4.0 for NX2?"
In response to Reply # 0

GB

I didn't think CEP4 was available for NX2?

Kevin
A Nikonian in the West Country (England)

spiritualized67 Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Mar 2007Thu 03-Nov-11 06:36 PM
3059 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Anyone Upgrade to Color Efex Pro 4.0 for NX2?"
In response to Reply # 0

Western PA, US

Well, so much for that dream. For some reason, I thought it would work, but looks like I can only use up to 3.0, which is fine. Thanks for the clarification all.

~Dan

Kidkett Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Apr 2010Fri 04-Nov-11 12:20 PM
433 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Anyone Upgrade to Color Efex Pro 4.0 for NX2?"
In response to Reply # 3

Campo, US

OK here goes, yes I bought Color Efex Pro 4.0 for Lightroom and with the “Edit List” you can open your picture right from inside CaptureNX2 and a lot of other programs to. But that being said you’re not working inside Capture NX2 anymore. You’re working as a standalone outside of Capture and it doesn’t import it back into Capture when you’re done editing your picture. You will have to export it to a folder you want to use and not saving it as a NEF anymore. With the Edit List you can open into Dfine 2.0, HDR Efex Pro, Sharpener Pro 3.0-SHP3.0, Silver Efex Pro 2, Viveza 2, even open a picture in Photoshop CS5 and Topaz products or Perfect Photo Suite 6 right from Capture. You can open 12 separate programs from within the Edit List in Capture.

I know that it’s not the same as working inside Capture and I should have bought the Photoshop version and worked inside Photoshop but that was my mistake. But at least there is an option if you want to try it, and of course I still have Color Efex Pro 3 that I can still use inside Capture. This is just some information so you know about it, but may not be worth your time and trouble. But that Edit List is a nice little program for Capture NX2 if you have more than one program you want to open in Capture. I put some screen shot so you can see how it works. For is it worth the $99, download the trial and try it to see.

Good Luck,
Bill

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)
Attachment #3, (jpg file)
Attachment #4, (jpg file)
Attachment #5, (jpg file)

rbsandor Gold Member Nikonian since 29th Aug 2007Fri 04-Nov-11 01:15 PM
1385 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Anyone Upgrade to Color Efex Pro 4.0 for NX2?"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri 04-Nov-11 01:28 PM by rbsandor

Denver, US

Kidkett:where did you get the "Edit List" program you use for listing the options and is it available for mac and pc? Thanks, Richard

Kidkett Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Apr 2010Fri 04-Nov-11 01:52 PM
433 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Anyone Upgrade to Color Efex Pro 4.0 for NX2?"
In response to Reply # 5

Campo, US

Hi Richard,

Sorry I meant to put it in the last post. I have a Windows OS and not sure if it work with a Mac but you can get it here:

http://www.nikonians.org/dcfp/user_files/191195.zip

I hope it works for your Mac.

Good Luck,
Bill

JohnE78 Silver Member Nikonian since 25th Nov 2007Sun 06-Nov-11 07:23 PM
38 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Anyone Upgrade to Color Efex Pro 4.0 for NX2?"
In response to Reply # 6

Brigham City, US

Has anyone tried 'Edit List' with PhotoShop CS4 or CS5? I know the author says it is for Lightroom but does that exclude PhotoShop? Finally, if you converted the TIFF from CEP4 back to a NEF would NX2 then recognize it?

davidd1833 Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Feb 2006Sun 06-Nov-11 08:06 PM
415 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Anyone Upgrade to Color Efex Pro 4.0 for NX2?"
In response to Reply # 7
Mon 07-Nov-11 01:51 AM by davidd1833

Sydney, AU

Hi John

the Lightroom versions of various plug-ins are in fact self-contained programs, which will work on their own, so that is why EditList is able to pass files to them. The Photoshop versions are plug-ins only, and will not run on their own.

EditList will pass files through to any program, so you can use it to pass files from NX2 to Photoshop CS5, Lightroom or any other editing program. NX2 automatically converts the file (whatever it's format) to a TIFF when it does this.

If you open an edited TIFF again in NX2, you can then 'Save As' a NEF file, which gives you the non-destructive editing again. Note that the NEF files created by NX2 in this way are not exactly the same as NEF files from the camera. I doubt if any other program would open them.

David

My Gallery

John_ZAR Registered since 06th Nov 2006Wed 09-Nov-11 08:46 AM
59 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Anyone Upgrade to Color Efex Pro 4.0 for NX2?"
In response to Reply # 8

Johannesburg, ZA

Hi David,

You should mention that you are the author of this great little app.

Credit where credit is due.

Kidkett Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Apr 2010Mon 07-Nov-11 01:00 AM
#9. "RE: Anyone Upgrade to Color Efex Pro 4.0 for NX2?"
In response to Reply # 7

Campo, US

Hi John,

Yes you can use the Edit List to import it into Photoshop CS5 from Capture and run it from there and then save it to a folder as any format you like, except a NEF file of course. Running from Capture NX2 it only saves as a TIFF file back to the same folder that it came out of with the same file name plus -1 or the next number depending how many copies you have. You don’t have an option where it goes. But the new Color Efex Pro 4.0 stack all your edits so you don’t have to go in and out of it like the last version did in Lightroom or Photoshop did then processes all your edits together when you’re done. It’s just too bad that Nikon didn’t keep Nik on so it would work inside of Capture NX2 and we could save as a NEF file with all the edits in it. It sure would have saved a lot of room on our computers!

Bill

JohnE78 Silver Member Nikonian since 25th Nov 2007Wed 09-Nov-11 05:25 PM
38 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Anyone Upgrade to Color Efex Pro 4.0 for NX2?"
In response to Reply # 9

Brigham City, US

Thanks for your quick responses. I will be trying it out this afternoon.

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #7322 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.