Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #7203
View in linear mode

Subject: "View NX problem" Previous topic | Next topic
drjh68 Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Oct 2003Mon 03-Oct-11 10:39 AM
143 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"View NX problem"

Woodbridge, Suffolk, GB

I have the latest (I hope) version 2.1.2. I notice now that when I send an email from View NX, it attaches pictures to the email with numbers which always start from 001. So five attachments will be numbered 001 002 003 004 005. And when I send another email the attachments all re-start from 001. This makes it difficult and time-consuming to find the originals for addressees when they ask for copies.

It looks as if my preferences have changed for some reason, as this is only a recent development. The photo files which I have attached all started life with the numbers which my D700 gave them originally, and those numbers are used in all other cases. But not in emails. I want the email to use the original file number, for instant identification.

I assume that my preferences have changed for some reason. But having searched in View NX ansd also in Nikon Transfer, I cannot find anything which offers a solution.

Any advice appreciated.

James
Suffolk UK

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: View NX problem
gkaiseril Gold Member
03rd Oct 2011
Freewheeler10
04th Oct 2011
davidd1833 Silver Member
05th Oct 2011
drjh68 Silver Member
11th Oct 2011
drjh68 Silver Member
12th Nov 2011

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Mon 03-Oct-11 02:57 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: View NX problem"
In response to Reply # 0

Chicago, US

I just installed Nikon View NX 2 version 2.12 and do not see the issue with MS Outlook 2003.

Have you changed the way "Transfer" within Nikon View NX 2 or Nikon Capture NX 2 names the files?

You can edit your options for renaming.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

Freewheeler10 Registered since 17th Apr 2008Tue 04-Oct-11 11:51 AM
1105 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: View NX problem"
In response to Reply # 0

Englewood, US

I must admit I had never until five minutes ago, used VNX2 for emailing. But, I
composed an email to myself using one of my alternate email accounts for the
addressee, and selected a jpeg, an NEF, and a Tiff from a recent collection,
emailed them as single attachments and multiple, and waited for the
results. When the email came in ten seconds later, I opened the attachments
with Preview (on the Mac) and each image kept it's name from within VNX2.
I also don't see any way to change this in VNX2. Strange....

___Gary

http://gallery.me.com/freewheeler
http://freewheeler10.blogspot.com/

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

davidd1833 Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Feb 2006Wed 05-Oct-11 01:29 AM
426 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: View NX problem"
In response to Reply # 2

Sydney, AU

Have a look in your Options, at File Naming, the setting there can affect the file name on conversion. Make sure it's set to 'Original Name'.

David

My Gallery

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

drjh68 Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Oct 2003Tue 11-Oct-11 02:59 PM
143 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: View NX problem"
In response to Reply # 2

Woodbridge, Suffolk, GB

Thanks to all who replied. I have not succeeded in tracking down the cause of this problem. I have looked at my VNX2 preferences, and seen that they are already set for giving the original name. The original name (the number given by the D700?) is used by VNX2 in its display of the transferred files, but as soon as it is asked to send them as an email it switches to numbers beginning at 001. And any subsequent email sending photos also numbers them from 001.

Perhaps I should try Nikon for the answer. But does everyone using VNX2 for emails have the same problem, and if not, can you please tell me what your settings are?

Many thanks.

James
Suffolk UK.

drjh68 Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Oct 2003Sat 12-Nov-11 12:39 PM
#5. "RE: View NX problem"
In response to Reply # 4

Woodbridge, Suffolk, GB

Eureka! I have found the answer. To send an email via NX2 you first select the pictures you want to send, then click on "Email".

You are then given two options. One is Send Index Print. Choosing that results in what I was trying to escape from i.e
the resultant atttachments in the email are numbered from 001, omitting the original file number.

Click on Option 2 - Send Multiple Photos. This attaches the files to the email with their original file numbers. Explained more fully at
https://nikoneurope-en.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/13933/~/emailing-images-with-view-nx

Thanks to all for your interest.

James
Suffolk UK

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #7203 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.