Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #7089
View in linear mode

Subject: "Lost Capture NX2 Product Key" Previous topic | Next topic
skituner Silver Member Nikonian since 14th Nov 2007Fri 31-Oct-08 01:26 AM
76 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Lost Capture NX2 Product Key"

Pembroke, CA

I purchased and installed NX2 on my desktop then some time later wanted to load it on my laptop only to find the CD case with key GONE!!! The manual says the key cannot be replaced but does anybody have any "tricks" to recover the key from the installed software?

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Lost Capture NX2 Product Key
robsb Platinum Member
31st Oct 2008
skituner Silver Member
31st Oct 2008
walkerr Administrator
31st Oct 2008
johnfoconnor
31st Oct 2008
leolyons
01st Nov 2008
skituner Silver Member
01st Nov 2008
johnfoconnor
01st Nov 2008
leolyons
02nd Nov 2008
johnnyt
02nd Nov 2008
skituner Silver Member
03rd Nov 2008
JAT
31st Jul 2009
robsb Platinum Member
31st Jul 2009
AfghanMike
03rd Aug 2009
csgaraglino Silver Member
06th Aug 2009
therathman
19th Sep 2011
gclack3115 Silver Member
16th Jan 2011

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Fri 31-Oct-08 05:31 AM
12705 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#1. "RE: Lost Capture NX2 Product Key"
In response to Reply # 0

San Jose, US

click on help and click about and your license number is on bottom right.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

"Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the
camera"

Retirement is a gift of time - Don't waste it!

skituner Silver Member Nikonian since 14th Nov 2007Fri 31-Oct-08 02:06 PM
76 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Lost Capture NX2 Product Key"
In response to Reply # 1

Pembroke, CA

I had tried that, the key consists of five 5 digit groups of numbers, the numbers shown are lacking the last 5 digit group, it only shows the first 4 groups.... *sigh* it's that last group of numbers I need...

walkerr Administrator Awarded for his con tributed articles published at the Resources Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in multiple areas Nikonian since 05th May 2002Fri 31-Oct-08 03:21 PM
14528 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Lost Capture NX2 Product Key"
In response to Reply # 2

Colorado Springs, US

I would contact Nikon's help desk. They can assist with this.

Rick Walker

My photos:
GeoVista Photography

johnfoconnor Registered since 01st Mar 2007Fri 31-Oct-08 07:09 PM
79 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Lost Capture NX2 Product Key"
In response to Reply # 0

Galway, IE

I would agree with Rick Walker's advice that your should contact Nikon support. I would guess that they can give you the last field of 5 digits if you supply what is shown on your NX2 splash screen.

I did not lose my Product codes but certainly got close to having a problem when I upgraded from NX1 to NX2 and it needed my NX1 product code; strange that it did not trust me when NX1 was already installed. I failed to find my NX1 CD but, fortunately had already registered my product on-line with Nikon, so a quick logon allowed me to retrieve my Capture NX1 product code.

I would recommend that you do the same. I register all my Nikon products including lenses and their serial numbers; in other words, anything that is valuable. I register my products on their European website at www.nikon.co.uk which also serves for Ireland. If you click on Help->Technical Support in Capture NX2, you get various links to Nikon; here are two:

http://www.nikonusa.com/
http://www.europe-nikon.com/flashmap/support.html
etc.
Hope this help you.

leolyons Registered since 21st Dec 2007Sat 01-Nov-08 04:17 PM
50 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Lost Capture NX2 Product Key"
In response to Reply # 4

Folkestone, GB

Does the Nikon Capture license allow installation on two computers? I would like to install on both desktop & laptop but thought this was not permitted and required an additional license. The agreement one accepts when downloading only talks about 'downloading' onto one computer but I presumed they meant installing on one computer too.

skituner Silver Member Nikonian since 14th Nov 2007Sat 01-Nov-08 04:46 PM
#6. "RE: Lost Capture NX2 Product Key"
In response to Reply # 5

Pembroke, CA

Neither the manual nor the help files state any limitation.... I didn't read the license fine print when installing on my desktop, I just clicked on the accept button...

johnfoconnor Registered since 01st Mar 2007Sat 01-Nov-08 06:07 PM
79 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Lost Capture NX2 Product Key"
In response to Reply # 5
Sat 01-Nov-08 06:13 PM by johnfoconnor

Galway, IE

It does allow you to install on two computers; the same goes for most software when you buy a license. For example, Microsoft Office allows you to install on two computers and Adobe allows the same. The main restriction is that you do not use both copies simultaneously.

Here is the appropriate extract from Nikon's License agreement (the one where we always check/click Accept!!)

"1. GRANT OF LICENSE

Nikon hereby grants to you a non-exclusive, non-sublicensable, revocable license to:

a) Use the trial version of the SOFTWARE (“TRIAL SOFTWARE”) on up to two (2) of your own computers for a period of sixty (60) days from the date of installation.
b) Use the full version of the SOFTWARE (“FULL SOFTWARE”) on up to two (2) of your own computers upon valid purchase of a product key (“PRODUCT KEY”) for the FULL SOFTWARE from Nikon (TRIAL SOFTWARE and FULL SOFTWARE and associated electronic documentation, collectively “SOFTWARE”); and
c) Make one (1) copy of the FULL SOFTWARE in machine readable form solely for back-up purposes.

Notwithstanding the foregoing, you may not use the SOFTWARE on more than one computer at the same time.
You may not use the SOFTWARE in connection with multiple systems, networks, servers, or emulations on a main frame or mini computer, provided that you may use the SOFTWARE on up to two (2) of your own computers that are connected to a network or server so long as the SOFTWARE cannot be accessed by other computers via such network or server."
<end of extract>

This was also discussed in an earlier post:
http://www.nikonians.org/forums/dcboard.php?az=set_threaded_mode&forum=196&topic_id=46927&prev_page=show_topic&gid=46927#46948

leolyons Registered since 21st Dec 2007Sun 02-Nov-08 09:55 AM
50 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Lost Capture NX2 Product Key"
In response to Reply # 7

Folkestone, GB

Thanks for clarifying that for me - timely as the trial version I am using on my laptop reaches the end of the 60 day trial - today!

johnnyt Registered since 13th Dec 2005Sun 02-Nov-08 01:52 PM
66 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Lost Capture NX2 Product Key"
In response to Reply # 8

Chicago, US

There are a number of system information utilities that can find license codes, website passwords etc. and display them.

I use SIW, http://www.gtopala.com/

It's free.

skituner Silver Member Nikonian since 14th Nov 2007Mon 03-Nov-08 01:48 AM
#10. "RE: Lost Capture NX2 Product Key"
In response to Reply # 9

Pembroke, CA

Thanks for the tip, I downloaded and ran it, it gives a lot of information but nothing on NX2....

JAT Registered since 12th Jul 2006Fri 31-Jul-09 02:00 PM
33 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Lost Capture NX2 Product Key"
In response to Reply # 10

US

skituner - did you ever get this resolved?

I'm having the same problem. I changed laptops and NX2 was installed and running on my old laptop. Now I need to get it on my new laptop - but no product ID can be found. I swear I registered it, but Nikon says no. Maybe I forgot to - my bad.

I wonder if there is a way to fire up my old laptop, connect to the Internet - get the software to register for me, then Nikon can tell me what the product ID is?

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Fri 31-Jul-09 08:48 PM
12705 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#12. "RE: Lost Capture NX2 Product Key"
In response to Reply # 0

San Jose, US

If you registered the product with Nikon you should find that serial number and the list of serial numbers for both your other Nikon SW and HW under My Stuff in the support page at the Nikon site.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

"Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the
camera"

Retirement is a gift of time - Don't waste it!

AfghanMike Registered since 07th Nov 2008Mon 03-Aug-09 03:01 PM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: Lost Capture NX2 Product Key"
In response to Reply # 0

AF

I had the same problem, I looked at all my stuff on Nikon and the serial number was not there. I called the help desk and they were able to pull up my serial number and give me my ver 1 and ver 2 over the phone. So if you registered your software with Nikon they can help you.

csgaraglino Silver Member Charter MemberThu 06-Aug-09 06:01 AM
647 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: Lost Capture NX2 Product Key"
In response to Reply # 0

Colorado Springs, US

I had a laptop stolen, and when I loaded the new one I was int he same boat as you.
I did call Nikon's Help Desk, and while it take a few emails back & forth, when I produces the receipt, they gave me the key vie email; that afternoon.

So if you are registered, or if you have a copy of the sales receipt you are good to go.

---
Regards,
Chris Sgaraglino
Outdoor Studios Photography || on Flickr || on Google+

therathman Registered since 02nd Jan 2010Mon 19-Sep-11 01:29 PM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: Lost Capture NX2 Product Key"
In response to Reply # 14

US

what phone # did you use for support

I've provided the receipt - and still they will not provide the key. (This is getting very frustrating)
I thought the SW would "Register" when I activated it - it does not. You have to register it separately.

gclack3115 Silver Member Nikonian since 11th Jul 2007Sun 16-Jan-11 02:20 PM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: Lost Capture NX2 Product Key"
In response to Reply # 0

Missouri City, US

If you bought from Nikon online store go to orderfind.com. You can recover your receipt and product key there.

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #7089 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.