Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #6996
View in linear mode

Subject: "Nik and Nikon" Previous topic | Next topic
leebaylin Silver Member Charter MemberThu 08-Sep-11 05:43 PM
825 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Nik and Nikon"

Baltimore, US

It appears the long rummored Nik/Nikon divorce is now public: http://www.flickr.com/groups/niksoftware/discuss/72157627491446915/#comment72157627491899067

If Nik doesn't know Nikon's future plans for software, it certainly can't be working on NX3.

I guess it's finally time for me to learn PhotoShop.

Lee Baylin

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Nik and Nikon
robsb Platinum Member
08th Sep 2011
mklass Platinum Member
08th Sep 2011
leebaylin Silver Member
08th Sep 2011
JonK Moderator
08th Sep 2011
jrp Administrator
09th Sep 2011
mklass Platinum Member
09th Sep 2011
robsb Platinum Member
09th Sep 2011
ajgarza Gold Member
11th Sep 2011
jrp Administrator
13th Sep 2011
robsb Platinum Member
09th Sep 2011
mburke
10th Sep 2011
pdekman Gold Member
10th Sep 2011
images99 Silver Member
10th Sep 2011
shootersdesireIN Silver Member
12th Sep 2011
barrywesthead Silver Member
20th Sep 2011
jrp Administrator
11th Sep 2011
robsb Platinum Member
16th Sep 2011
jacsr Silver Member
10th Sep 2011
fisherd80fun Silver Member
11th Sep 2011
jacsr Silver Member
11th Sep 2011
fisherd80fun Silver Member
07th Oct 2011
PAStime Silver Member
12th Sep 2011
timpsm Silver Member
12th Sep 2011
12th Sep 2011
rbsandor Gold Member
13th Sep 2011
robsb Platinum Member
13th Sep 2011
mklass Platinum Member
13th Sep 2011
sevtcard Silver Member
14th Sep 2011
jrp Administrator
14th Sep 2011
kennoll Gold Member
16th Sep 2011
timpsm Silver Member
16th Sep 2011
robsb Platinum Member
16th Sep 2011
chuckcars
16th Sep 2011
kennoll Gold Member
17th Sep 2011
mklass Platinum Member
17th Sep 2011
timpsm Silver Member
17th Sep 2011
PAStime Silver Member
17th Sep 2011
chroaz Gold Member
17th Sep 2011
mklass Platinum Member
17th Sep 2011
chroaz Gold Member
17th Sep 2011
Freewheeler10
18th Sep 2011
chroaz Gold Member
18th Sep 2011
Freewheeler10
19th Sep 2011
robsb Platinum Member
19th Sep 2011
Freewheeler10
20th Sep 2011
chroaz Gold Member
06th Oct 2011
Freewheeler10
07th Oct 2011
walkerr Administrator
07th Oct 2011
Freewheeler10
08th Oct 2011
timpsm Silver Member
18th Sep 2011
robsb Platinum Member
18th Sep 2011
Reply message RE: Nik and Nikon - No NX3
sfbillm Silver Member
18th Sep 2011
Reply message RE: Nik and Nikon - No NX3
pshnikchch Silver Member
20th Sep 2011
Reply message RE: Nik and Nikon - And Then There's Windows 8
sfbillm Silver Member
19th Sep 2011
19th Sep 2011
sfbillm Silver Member
20th Sep 2011
20th Sep 2011
Freewheeler10
20th Sep 2011
jfeagans
20th Sep 2011
Captain Rich Silver Member
20th Sep 2011
kennoll Gold Member
20th Sep 2011
jfeagans
20th Sep 2011
Freewheeler10
21st Sep 2011
20th Sep 2011
gheck58 Silver Member
21st Sep 2011
robsb Platinum Member
21st Sep 2011
mklass Platinum Member
21st Sep 2011
kennoll Gold Member
21st Sep 2011
Chuckster902 Silver Member
09th Oct 2011
Hotswimmer Silver Member
15th Oct 2011
robsb Platinum Member
15th Oct 2011
bobtail Silver Member
15th Oct 2011
robsb Platinum Member
23rd Oct 2011
Reply message RE: Nik and Nikon - Divorce now Final
sfbillm Silver Member
16th Oct 2011
Reply message RE: Nik and Nikon - Divorce now Final
richardd300 Silver Member
19th Oct 2011

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Thu 08-Sep-11 06:44 PM
12254 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#1. "RE: Nik and Nikon"
In response to Reply # 0

San Jose, US

What we know from this post is that NIK has a product that will not work with CNX2. What we don't know is what is Nikon doing about a CNX3. An update is long overdue. I guess if you have Photoshop you can still move TIFFs to Photoshop and do added edits there but it is not a very satisfactory solution. That said, one would have to look at the new features to see if it really matters. I am hoping Nikon gets going on an update soon. I have CS5 Extended, but have become so used to using CNX2, I don't want to abandon it to use CS5 alone. Perhaps every CNX2 user needs to email Nikon and push for an upgrade?

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

"Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the
camera"

Retirement is a gift of time - Don't waste it!

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Thu 08-Sep-11 08:13 PM
5581 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Nik and Nikon"
In response to Reply # 1

Tacoma, US

I with you, Bob. Capture NX is a great concept adn very good rpoduct adn just needs to have the rough edges trimmed. An upgarde is long overdue. (Perhaps related to releasing new DLSR bodies and earthquate issues?) I really have no desire to abandon a NEF-centric workflow and all of teh advantages taht CNX offers.

Any idea of the most effective way or address to contact Nikon? If we CNX devotees concentrate on the right place, maybe it will help. I imagine it will take a lot of us to have a chance of having any impact.

Mick
www.mickklassphoto.com

leebaylin Silver Member Charter MemberThu 08-Sep-11 10:51 PM
825 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Nik and Nikon"
In response to Reply # 1

Baltimore, US

I think this post by a Nik developer says volumes more than that there's just one Nik program that doesn't work with NX2. It says there is no communication between Nik and Nikon on where Nikon is going with its software development.

As I see it, NX2 has two features. First, it is the best NEF/NRW raw converter because of its color rendering and because it reads and perfectly applies all of Nikon DSLR camera settings. Second, it is an outstanding, but very dated editor. The editor functions are mostly dependent on Nik's U-Point technology. U-Point is what transformed Nikon software from bland Capture 4.X to exciting NX.

Without Nik, it is hard to see Nikon taking NX to the next level that most serious amateurs want from an image editing program. Recent changes to ViewNX and TransferNX are pretty clear indications that Nikon software development leaves a lot to be desired.

Sure, I'll look at NX3, if and when it surfaces, but I now no longer expect much from it. If been waiting for NX3 before undertaking some large editing projects of older files. That wait is over. i figure photoshop has a 6 to 24 month learning curve, depending on how much time I can devote to it. I just need to get started.

Lee Baylin

JonK Moderator Awarded for his high level skills and in-depth knowledge in various areas, such as Wildlife, Landscape and Stage Photography Nikonian since 03rd Jul 2004Thu 08-Sep-11 11:16 PM
4200 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Nik and Nikon"
In response to Reply # 3

New York, US

Without Nik, there is no NX3. They wrote the code for NX2, incorporating the Nikon RAW Development module.

For Nikon to engage Nik to upgrade NX2 might make sense. For Nikon to do it alone, to commit the resources necessary to back up to start over, makes no financial sense for Nikon.

I fear the worst. But then, I'm Photoshop literate. But I'd have to buy Viveza 2…

Jon Kandel
A New York City Nikonian and Team Member
Please visit my website and critique the images!

jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources Charter MemberFri 09-Sep-11 06:13 AM
33936 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Nik and Nikon"
In response to Reply # 0

San Pedro Garza García, MX

Although Nik software and Nikon Corp had been collaborating for a while, it was not until February 2006 that Nik Software, Inc. announced the "Investment and Cooperative Global Agreement with Nikon Corporation."

These two companies were to jointly develop and distribute digital photographic software and technologies and we were happy to share the good news with Nik executives at PMA that year.

The amount of the investment and the percentage in the stock owned by Nikon was not disclosed but it gave the impression to be a minority interest even if important. Nik's press released announced it as "the first external investment in the company", which could imply they were open to -or working on- having others.

The terms of the agreement are private. Early signs of disagreement among the parties were nevertheless evident to industry insiders as rumored in the halls of Photokina that very same year over marketing related items.

Through that collaborative agreement, in my very personal opinion Nik Software made the best interpretation of images made with a Nikon camera.

It would be silly to throw that out the window, despite the gained reputation of Lightroom latest version.

Color Efex 4.0 is already available in 'Complete' or 'Select' editions with 55 or 26 filters respectively, as 32- or 64-bit plugins for Photoshop (at least CS4 version or newer), Lightroom (from v2.6 upwards) or Aperture (v2.1.4 or later); three leading image editors and two possible investors.

Nik Efex 4.0 will -no doubt- further improve Lightroom and Aperture.

What are Nik plans? That is relatively easy to forecast if Nik and Nikon divorce.

What are Nikon plans? Is there a NX3 in the works? Only they know.

Have a great time
JRP (Founder & Administrator. Nikonian at the north-eastern Mexican desert) Gallery, Brief Love Story, The Team
Join the Silver, Gold and Platinum members that help this happen; upgrade. Join your personal web site to the Nikonians WebRing
Make sure you check our workshops at The Nikonians Academy and the product catalog of the Photo Pro Shop

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Fri 09-Sep-11 11:21 AM
5581 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Nik and Nikon"
In response to Reply # 5

Tacoma, US

All true, jrp.

But perhaps Nikon, sensing some dissension in the ranks of it loyal customers, ought to give some sign. Many people (many more people?) may give up on Capture NX thinking it is a dead product, or preferring something more up-to-date, and invest the time and money in LR/PS and all of the plug-ins needed. At that point, few would go back to a new version of CNX.

On the other hand, that could also be Nikon's strategy: reduce the CNX customer base so they can justify letting the product die without much backlash.

In my circles, CNX has been one of the things Canon users envy about Nikon. It was a demonstration of Nikon superiority. Would Nikon throw that away and allow Adobe to govern their RAW image interpretation and what camera features are useful?

Mick
www.mickklassphoto.com

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Fri 09-Sep-11 04:16 PM
12254 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#7. "RE: Nik and Nikon"
In response to Reply # 5

San Jose, US

JRP:

While I have years of experience with Photoshop and have CS5 Extended, I have always preferred the CNX2 rendering of my NEF's and want to continue using it. Is there someone with clout at Nikon that we could send letters or emails to that might encourage them to update the SW or at least give us an understanding of their plans for CNX2? I am sure if everyone on this forum sent an email to them it certainly would be noticed.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

camera"

ajgarza Gold Member Nikonian since 09th Aug 2007Sun 11-Sep-11 11:54 PM
67 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#18. "RE: Nik and Nikon"
In response to Reply # 5

Monterrey, MX

Jose Ramon,

Do you see a possibility that Nikon gives access to its converter to Apple (aperture) and Adobe (Lightroom)? With this both products could have full access to the camera setup controls, and the WB algorithm could be the same between the camera and the application.

Perhaps everyone wins, except Nik --- does it make sense?

Alejandro Garza

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources Charter MemberTue 13-Sep-11 01:41 PM
33936 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#29. "RE: Nik and Nikon"
In response to Reply # 18

Alejandro,
That would be "way beyond" what Nikon has done in the past.

Have a great time
JRP (Founder & Administrator. Nikonian at the north-eastern Mexican desert) Gallery, Brief Love Story, The Team
Join the Silver, Gold and Platinum members that help this happen; upgrade. Join your personal web site to the Nikonians WebRing
Make sure you check our workshops at The Nikonians Academy and the product catalog of the Photo Pro Shop

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Fri 09-Sep-11 11:22 PM
#10. "RE: Nik and Nikon"
In response to Reply # 0

San Jose, US

I went ahead and sent a request to Nikon asking them about their intentions to update CNX2.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

camera"

mburke Registered since 29th Dec 2004Sat 10-Sep-11 01:12 PM
125 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Nik and Nikon"
In response to Reply # 10
Sun 11-Sep-11 08:50 AM by jrp

Rhinelander, US

I also wrote Nikon (for the third time) and got the following response:

Thank you for contacting Nikon Technical Support.

We truly appreciate for choosing us. However, we are not able to provide you with such information. We do not know this information. However, we encourage you to keep visiting our web site for further updates.

I hope you find this information helpful.

Kind regards,
XXXXX

Thanks for using Nikon products!

This looks like a canned response to me. I was almost going to pull the trigger on CS5 this morning but I thought about it and decided that CNX2 and CEP (along with Silver Efex and HDR Efex - Lightroom versions) is working fine for me. I don't feel like going through the learning curve of CS5 and there isn't much to gain from the conversion. If, in time, Nikon deserts CNX2 I can make the decision then.

Mike

pdekman Gold Member Winner in The Nikonians 10th Anniversary Photo Contest Awarded as a regular contributor who offers in-depth knowledge to members who are interested in building efficient work flows. Nikonian since 17th Nov 2005Sat 10-Sep-11 01:54 PM
1007 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: Nik and Nikon"
In response to Reply # 11
Sat 10-Sep-11 03:59 PM by pdekman

Swisher, US

> I was almost going to pull the trigger on CS5 this morning

I hope Nikon can keep upgrading Capture NX for those using it. If not, and you're considering an Adobe product, I would recommend Lightroom as the more natural competitor to CNX and a far better choice for raw photo environment than CS5.

Paul
My Nikonians Gallery

images99 Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Nov 2007Sat 10-Sep-11 05:47 PM
19 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: Nik and Nikon"
In response to Reply # 12

Albuquerque, US

I contacted Nikon and received the same "non" response. Would like to stay with an updated NX2, but there is no encouragement from Nikon. Meeting with a local pro for a demonstration of Lightroom 3.

shootersdesireIN Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Jan 2011Mon 12-Sep-11 01:30 PM
117 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#22. "RE: Nik and Nikon"

Indianapolis, US

I agree using Lightroom + the products By Efex as a plugin makes more sense anyways

barrywesthead Silver Member Awareded for his continued support of the Nikonians community, freely sharing his expertise, particularly in the areas of digital post processing and printing. Nikonian since 07th Nov 2006Tue 20-Sep-11 02:27 PM
1253 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#61. "RE: Nik and Nikon"

Kleinburg, CA

>
> If you're considering an Adobe product, I would
>recommend Lightroom as the more natural competitor to CNX and
>a far better choice for raw photo environment than CS5.
>
I would second this advice. LR is a much better RAW processing environment, followed by CS5 where necessary. LR does a slick job of passing files out to and back from apps like Photoshop and Photomatix.

Barry
http://art2printimages.com

jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources Charter MemberSun 11-Sep-11 08:54 AM
#15. "RE: Nik and Nikon"
In response to Reply # 11
Sun 11-Sep-11 09:02 AM by jrp

The reply from Nikon Support USA is absolutely true.
Such decisions are made in Japan.

After dealing with a huge Japanese conglomerate for quite some time and helped the Chairman made a good decision, I thought I had earned the right to make this question: How do you manage to make decisions down-to-top?
He candidly replied: "We don't. It is hard enough to make decisions top-down and then letting the ranks think the idea was theirs."

One possible reason for the disagreements is that, thinking Nikon was much larger that themselves (Nik), they could throw loads of money into marketing and development on top of their investment. If that was true then, imagine now after the recent natural disaster and accelerated moves of manufacturing outside of Japan.

I do share your views that Capture makes quite a difference for Nikon users, one not equaled by Canon.

Have a great time

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Fri 16-Sep-11 05:46 AM
#35. "RE: Nik and Nikon"
In response to Reply # 10

San Jose, US

I too got the "standard" answer that tech support can't discuss future plans.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

camera"

jacsr Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Apr 2006Sat 10-Sep-11 10:28 PM
918 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: Nik and Nikon"
In response to Reply # 0
Sun 11-Sep-11 02:13 AM by jacsr

Texas City, US

I loved the way NX2 worked and the results I used to get from it. I moved to a MAC and the software doesn't work well at all. I called Nikon and they told me NX2 was not compatible with OS X 10.6.5 and up and did not know when an update would be out. I kept trying it and it just would not work. With great regret I moved to Aperture and the application is great. As a DAM application it is second to none, as a raw processor it works very well. I have to work a little harder to achieve the same results I used to get with NX2 but I do get them. I think once I add the full suite of NIK plug-ins I will be able to achieve NX2 like results much easier and quicker.

If NX3 is released this decade I may look at it, but I am not holding my breath.

Joe

fisherd80fun Silver Member Nikonian since 23rd May 2009Sun 11-Sep-11 12:18 PM
431 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: Nik and Nikon"
In response to Reply # 14

Essex, US

I have OSX 10.6.8 and it works just fine with NX2...albeit the occasional crash?? Can you update your MAC software so that it will work??

jacsr Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Apr 2006Sun 11-Sep-11 07:23 PM
918 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#17. "RE: Nik and Nikon"
In response to Reply # 16

Texas City, US

You can do a search using my ID and NX2 and iMAC and you can review all the steps I took in troubleshooting this issue.

When Nikon acknowledges and confirms that CNX2 is incompatible with Snow Leopard v 10.6.5 and up, for me there is no reason to continue the battle. I have Lion now and Aperture just works and works well.

CNX2 was a good application that many still enjoy. Heck I still have it installed on my W7 64 bit and it works without issue. Others have had issues on this platform.

It is never a good sign when presumed partners are not communicating, as it appears in this case is what is happening between Nik and Nikon.

Glad NX2 works for you, enjoy it while it lasts as any update could quickly change that.

Joe

fisherd80fun Silver Member Nikonian since 23rd May 2009Fri 07-Oct-11 06:29 AM
431 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#72. "RE: Nik and Nikon"
In response to Reply # 17

Essex, US

There is so much in this forum, so I hope I am not repeating info. On 9/29/2011, Nikon released Capture NX2 2.2.8 and it is compatible with OS 10.6.8

I downloaded on the MacBook Pro and it works....will try on the iMAC later this week.

PAStime Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Feb 2009Mon 12-Sep-11 03:04 AM
2669 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#19. "RE: Nik and Nikon"
In response to Reply # 0

Kingston, CA

>It appears the long rummored Nik/Nikon divorce is now public:

Hi Lee. Thanks for the link. Interesting reading. I wouldn't call it a divorce - I think that is a bit strong. But it certainly does hint that Nik does have some ambiguity in its development plans related to Nikon software. That is a bit discomforting as I'd love to see a spruced up CNX3 with improved speed and new features. Peter

timpsm Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Sep 2010Mon 12-Sep-11 05:52 AM
341 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#20. "RE: Nik and Nikon"
In response to Reply # 0

Salt Spring Island, CA

> I guess it's finally time for me to learn PhotoShop.

I'm afraid so, either Adobe or Apple, I have chosen Adobe. These are all my personal observations from a history in the very fluid high-tech computer HW/SW world, but the pattern fits the available public data.

Now that RAW is accepted directly by the major SW players, CNX is no longer needed to showcase Nikon cameras. Nikon's next move is to make sure that both Adobe and Apple have access to the best possible NEF reader/processor as a plug-in or whatever - and that leaves CNX out in the cold, it has done its job and can not compete with the majors.

Nikon is a camera company so Nikon internally believes that its cameras are, and always will be, better than Canon at taking pictures. (I happen to agree but I am highly biased They do not see CNX as being a necessary part of their corporate goals, and they never will fund anything like what is needed to compete with Apple or Adobe, nor should they.

If Nikon have an incremental $1M to spend on some aspect of R&D then they will spend it to make their sensors or their electronics or their internal algorithms better - those all give them sustainable competitive advantage over Canon/Sony et al. They should not spend it on CNX . . . but they must make sure that Apple & Adobe can easily get great results for Nikon users . . . and that "enabler SW" is where Nikon's SW efforts will start and end as this market segment evolves and matures.

tim

shootersdesireIN Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Jan 2011Mon 12-Sep-11 01:25 PM
117 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#21. "RE: Nik and Nikon"
In response to Reply # 20

Indianapolis, US

one of these days i will be adding some of Nik's software especially color Efex pro & hdr. I am hearing some many good things out there about these products but even though i have CNX2 i don't use it much. I am very familar with Lightroom 3 and i love it. But as a plugin Nik's products are awesome. I just wish Cnx2 was easier to use like Lightroom is

rbsandor Gold Member Nikonian since 29th Aug 2007Tue 13-Sep-11 03:56 AM
1386 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#26. "RE: Nik and Nikon"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue 13-Sep-11 04:02 AM by rbsandor

Denver, US

As best as I can tell NX2 hasn't stopped functioning and won't disappear from our hard drives tomorrow. So from my point of view, it still does 95+% of what I want to do with the occasional trip to CS5. When something comes along that greatly exceeds NX2's capabilities, I'll gladly switch.
For those talk about Nik plug ins for LR and Aperture, it should be remembered that the Nik products are not true plug ins but are better described as stand alone products. This is why NX2 users can access them via a pref change. When an image is sent from NX2 or LR to a Nik plug in, it goes out as a flattened TIFF. That means all your edit steps are compressed and are no longer able to be tweaked. The exception is CEP 3 for NX2, which acts like a true plug in. I don't know if the Nik plug in suite for CS5 are true plug ins. If my understanding of the nature of these plug ins is inaccurate, I'm more than happy to be corrected.

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Tue 13-Sep-11 05:43 AM
#27. "RE: Nik and Nikon"
In response to Reply # 26

San Jose, US

Richard I tend to agreewith you. There are very few things that I do in CS5 anymore and NIK CE2 for NX2 works just fine for me and I am already belending multiple filters in CNX2. CNX2 is and will continue to be my RAW processor of choice.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

camera"

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Tue 13-Sep-11 11:23 AM
#28. "RE: Nik and Nikon"
In response to Reply # 27

Tacoma, US

>Richard I tend to agree with you. There are very few things
>that I do in CS5 anymore and NIK CE2 for NX2 works just fine
>for me and I am already belending multiple filters in CNX2.
>CNX2 is and will continue to be my RAW processor of choice.

Same here, until it stops working or something truly better comes along.
Unless Nikon and Abobe start sharing enough information so that ACR is actually using all of Nikon's settings, instead of approximations based on what Adobe decides to implement, CNX and VNX still give the best rendition of a NEF.

Mick
www.mickklassphoto.com

sevtcard Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Mar 2009Wed 14-Sep-11 01:55 AM
327 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#30. "RE: Nik and Nikon"
In response to Reply # 26

Brattleboro, US

ditto robsb and mklass...i use it these days to develop my raw images and then either stay in nx2 or (more commonly lately) move to cs5/nik 'plug-ins' using 'open with' in nx2....i love the u-point technology - so much easier and more intuitive than photoshop layers - and the cnx2 raw processing is not equaled in cs5 (in fact, i find it frustrating as compared with nx2....)

on the other hand, while 'NX2 hasn't stopped functioning and won't disappear from our hard drives tomorrow' it will become progressively more dated as other software advances....eventually, it will become as anachronistic (dare i say it?) as film....
m
www.broadwallphotography.com

jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources Charter MemberWed 14-Sep-11 10:24 AM
#31. "RE: Nik and Nikon"
In response to Reply # 30

Let's hope not

Have a great time

kennoll Gold Member Nikonian since 07th Feb 2011Fri 16-Sep-11 02:23 AM
737 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#32. "RE: Nik and Nikon"
In response to Reply # 31
Fri 16-Sep-11 02:24 AM by kennoll

Seattle, US

Hey! maybe Nikon would spin off the software development side except for Transfer? Then an independent could ramp up the development software based on the needs of the masses using it?

Then perhaps Nik and the new CNX developers could work together.

It's been done.

timpsm Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Sep 2010Fri 16-Sep-11 04:44 AM
341 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#33. "RE: Nik and Nikon"
In response to Reply # 32

Salt Spring Island, CA

I don't think there is a business case there for an independent. Nik has had a very good chance to do the math on the investment needed and on the market potential - and they are walking away and have decided to focus on their products. I don't see anyone having a lower cost-of-entry, or greater chance-of-success than Nik.

I can, however, see Nikon sub-contracting in order to create a better "bridge" from NEF to Adobe and/or Apple . . . a piece of SW that fully understands and takes advantage of all the settings and internal data contained in the NEF . . . and passes it on to Adobe/Apple while protecting proprietary Nikon information about how the camera algorithms work.

The good (?) news is that in any large company like Nikon, a project like CNX is likely to stay alive for quite awhile - It likely will die the slow death of under-resourcing, and not be killed outright, so we will be able to use it for awhile yet. (but have a plan to extract all your CNX post-processing work into some industry-standard format)

I shouldn't be so doom-and-gloom, it is possible for Nikon to decide to invest a lot more in CNX so new releases happen faster and new features do get added, but I don't see the business case for an independent..

tim

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Fri 16-Sep-11 05:44 AM
#34. "RE: Nik and Nikon"
In response to Reply # 33

San Jose, US

Nikon already has a developers kit that allows any vendor to read the Nikon maker data. Adobe has chosen not to use it as it is probably not in their best intrerest to do so. Where would you stop? Each product owner would expect Adobe to do the same for them, so it is easier for them to develop their own approach that they control. So this is not a Nikon issue as far as compatibility goes. So we need to wait and see where Nikon is headed as they will not tell any of us what their plan is.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

camera"

chuckcars Registered since 22nd Mar 2010Fri 16-Sep-11 01:17 PM
383 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#36. "RE: Nik and Nikon"
In response to Reply # 34

Montrose, US

Nik and Nikon look like a perfect combination to me. Adobe Photoshop will still be around for a long time since it is a graphics application, not limited to photography.

Best,

Chuck

http://carstensenphoto.com

A Nikon owner since 1955

kennoll Gold Member Nikonian since 07th Feb 2011Sat 17-Sep-11 01:39 AM
737 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#37. "RE: Nik and Nikon"

Seattle, US

You may be right about the business case Tim. Although having been a software developer in one of my past lives, I think there could be something come from a spin-off with the right developer crew. Especially in light of the large CNX user community I've been reading about in the forums.

The reason I would have Nikon keep Transfer is for the points you made in developing a "bridge" for NEF to other packages. Transfer would utilize the settings and internal proprietary information in NEF to CNX or third party apps.

If CNX were dropped or there was little in additional development then we users would of necessity look elsewhere for our processing as improvements keep being made in the image development within the camera. Without improvements in the Nikon software, camera improvements, communicated through NEF, would be meaningless.

Either Nikon keeps CNX current or they need to work with other app providers to accommodate NEF. Or they go to the RAW protocol.

OK, no more, as you say, "doom-and-gloom". Nikon will do the right thing...and we'll buy it.

Ken

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Sat 17-Sep-11 01:49 AM
#38. "RE: Nik and Nikon"
In response to Reply # 37

Tacoma, US

Transfer is only a way to get the images off the camera and into a computer, it really doesn't do much else and something like Photo Mechanic is far more flexible for that. If you mean View NX is what Nikon should keep, that is a different story.

If a good third party were to acquire CNX and further develop it, that would be great. They would probably need to incorporate other camera makes to make it worthwhile. Based on prior patterns of acquisitions, if it were Microsoft, they'd probably screw it up, and if it were Adobe, they'd just kill it.

Mick
www.mickklassphoto.com

timpsm Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Sep 2010Sat 17-Sep-11 02:18 AM
#39. "RE: Nik and Nikon"
In response to Reply # 37
Sat 17-Sep-11 02:20 AM by timpsm

Salt Spring Island, CA

You are right Ken, at some level of their planning Nikon realizes that SW has to be part of the solution to get the image to the world, and that they have to spend some money on it. And speaking technically Ken and Mick, I have no doubt that something cool could be made from it - and it would be great to have something completely dedicated to optimum DSLR post-processing.

"Nikon will do the right thing . . . and we'll buy it." Too true, my Nikon budget already rivals my car budget :- )

tim

PAStime Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Feb 2009Sat 17-Sep-11 01:21 PM
2669 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#40. "RE: Nik and Nikon"

Kingston, CA

>Nik has had a very good chance to do the math on
>the investment needed and on the market potential - and they
>are walking away and have decided to focus on their products.

This is speculation: Nik may be stuck between a rock and a hard place. Perhaps they aren't getting any new software development contracts from Nikon to develop NX3 (the note from the Nik guy on Flickr suggests this) and at the same time they may have a "no compete" clause in their collaborative agreement with Nikon, preventing them from creating an NX3 equivalent. Cheers, Peter

chroaz Gold Member Nikonian since 26th Apr 2009Sat 17-Sep-11 05:40 PM
607 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#41. "RE: Nik and Nikon"
In response to Reply # 40

Cave Creek, US

The only reason I haven't upgraded to Lion on the Mac is because of the (supposed) incompatibility with CNX2.

Does this mean that CNX2 may be on the way out from a development standpoint and I should go ahead and upgrade anyway?

Chris

When words become unclear, I shall focus with photographs. When images become inadequate, I shall be content with silence.
- Ansel Adams

www.throughmeyelens.com

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Sat 17-Sep-11 05:45 PM
#42. "RE: Nik and Nikon"
In response to Reply # 41
Sat 17-Sep-11 06:40 PM by mklass

Tacoma, US

Chris,

At the moment, this is all reading tea leaves. No one outside Nikon knows, and they aren't saying.

I think we will see a Capture NX update when new DSLR bodies are released. That has been what has happened in the past so the new body's files can be used in CNX. It will be version 2.2.8 not a new version 3.

If they release new bodies with file compatibility issues, and no update is released to CNX to make it compatible, then I think we can safely assume CNX is dead.

Mick
www.mickklassphoto.com

chroaz Gold Member Nikonian since 26th Apr 2009Sat 17-Sep-11 06:00 PM
607 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#43. "RE: Nik and Nikon"
In response to Reply # 42

Cave Creek, US

Your logic seems sound, Mick - I just hope they figure the Mac OS issue out at the same time - although there are other options, I really prefer to work a NEF/NRW centric workflow, and I've gotten so used to the U-point technology.

I'm going to be patient (and hopeful) and hold off a bit longer!

Chris

When words become unclear, I shall focus with photographs. When images become inadequate, I shall be content with silence.
- Ansel Adams

www.throughmeyelens.com

Freewheeler10 Registered since 17th Apr 2008Sun 18-Sep-11 12:54 PM
1105 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#44. "RE: Nik and Nikon"
In response to Reply # 41

Englewood, US

>The only reason I haven't upgraded to Lion on the Mac
>is because of the (supposed) incompatibility with CNX2.

(Supposed) incompatibility or not, if it will install at all, it works fine.
CNX2 2.2.7 is a little slower under Lion than it was under Snow
Leopard in 32 bit mode, about the same as Snow Leopard in 64 bit
mode. So far, all is well here with CNX2 and OS 10.7.1. The only
issue I've had so far is with Nikon Transfer 2 occasionally locking up
after a transfer. I hope Nikon gets their compatibility issue squared
away, but judging by past versions, I'm not holding my breath.

___Gary

http://gallery.me.com/freewheeler
http://freewheeler10.blogspot.com/

chroaz Gold Member Nikonian since 26th Apr 2009Sun 18-Sep-11 04:36 PM
#45. "RE: Nik and Nikon"
In response to Reply # 44
Mon 19-Sep-11 09:35 PM by chroaz

Cave Creek, US

Thanks, Gary - that's good to know. I might try it on my laptop first and see how that goes.

Thanks again,

Chris

EDIT: I already have CNX2 on my laptop and Desktop and have been using it for a long time. The upgrade I was referring to was to Lion (OS 10.7) - so I might just try it out on the laptop first.

- Ansel Adams

www.throughmeyelens.com

Freewheeler10 Registered since 17th Apr 2008Mon 19-Sep-11 11:34 AM
1105 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#51. "RE: Nik and Nikon"
In response to Reply # 45

Englewood, US

>Thanks, Gary - that's good to know. I might try it on my
>laptop first and see how that goes.

And, the trial, 60-day version you download is the whole complete
application anyway. If you don't like it, delete it; if you do like it
enter your license number and off you go--nothing more to download.

Happy Shooting! ___Gary

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Mon 19-Sep-11 09:31 PM
#52. "RE: Nik and Nikon"
In response to Reply # 51

San Jose, US

The trial version is the complete version less updates. when you download CNX2 and install the trial you should also go back and download all the updates and install them too.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

camera"

Freewheeler10 Registered since 17th Apr 2008Tue 20-Sep-11 01:20 PM
#58. "RE: Nik and Nikon"
In response to Reply # 52

Englewood, US

>The trial version is the complete version less updates. when
>you download CNX2 and install the trial you should also go
>back and download all the updates and install them too.

In this instance, you go to the Nikon website, download the 2.2.6 full
version and the 2.2.7 update. You then have the full, updated application
that will run for sixty days and then won't launch any more. Once the
app is registered with a serial number, it will run forever.

Download at: http://support.nikonusa.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/61/kw/software%20updates/r_id/116678

___Gary

chroaz Gold Member Nikonian since 26th Apr 2009Thu 06-Oct-11 11:19 PM
#71. "RE: Nik and Nikon"
In response to Reply # 51

Cave Creek, US

Well I went ahead and upgraded to Lion on my iMac and all seems to be well (so far) - no issues and no noticeable change in the speed either. I see from another post that Jason O'Dell reports that a native Lion version of CNX2 may be in the works.

Chris

- Ansel Adams

www.throughmeyelens.com

Freewheeler10 Registered since 17th Apr 2008Fri 07-Oct-11 12:52 PM
#73. "RE: Nik and Nikon"
In response to Reply # 71

Englewood, US

> I see from another post that Jason O'Dell
>reports that a native Lion version of CNX2 may be in the
>works.

Oh, they (Nikon) will get around to it eventually. The usual lag is
about six to eight months before they "declare" compatibility with
a particular operating system. At least that has been their history
during the last three years. They seem to issue updates right away
when a new camera comes out, and deal with the OS X and Windows
compatibility somewhat later...

Happy Shooting!
___Gary

walkerr Administrator Awarded for his con tributed articles published at the Resources Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in multiple areas Nikonian since 05th May 2002Fri 07-Oct-11 02:54 PM
14178 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#75. "RE: Nik and Nikon"
In response to Reply # 73

Colorado Springs, US

>> I see from another post that Jason O'Dell
>>reports that a native Lion version of CNX2 may be in the
>>works.
>
>Oh, they (Nikon) will get around to it eventually.

It's further along than that.

Rick Walker

My photos:
GeoVista Photography

Freewheeler10 Registered since 17th Apr 2008Sat 08-Oct-11 11:35 AM
#76. "RE: Nik and Nikon"
In response to Reply # 75

Englewood, US

.......in light of recent announcements, you might wish to change your
signature line.

Happy Shooting!
___Gary

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

timpsm Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Sep 2010Sun 18-Sep-11 05:15 PM
#46. "RE: Nik and Nikon"
In response to Reply # 40

Salt Spring Island, CA

Yes, it certainly is speculation based on very incomplete information - tea leaf reading as Mick says also - if Nikon would just make some announcements we could all go back to coveting their new products as usual, and stop wondering what is going on. Maybe I'll go for a walk and take some pictures, that always helps.

tim

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Sun 18-Sep-11 07:17 PM
#48. "RE: Nik and Nikon"
In response to Reply # 46

San Jose, US

When I asked tech support what was going on, I got the usual we can't talk about future plans response, but I got a follow up request to "tell them how they did" survey based upon that last response,so I used that opportunity to tell them they needed to give us a heads up that CNX follow ons are alive and well. While I know it really does no good, there is the hope that if enough people asked the same question, maybe Nikon would at least make a statement. I have no doubt that they will continue to make updates to CNX2 based upon camera releases, as they would have to do that for at least VNX2 so CNX2 would also get those changes. The real question is where are they in putting out a 64 bit CNX version. When we look at the use of plug ins, I would agree that NIK would be the obvious choice, but I could see a path that did not use newer NIK filters if Nikon wanted to go that way as they already have the U technology in the product and that is not going away. I don't know how much NIK participated in the installed features that were not add ons. The other unknown is this, while NIK has said NIK color effects 4 does not work with CNX2, will it work in the same way that current LR3 NIK filters work with CNX2 i.e. as standalone filters? My guess is yes, but I guess we will have to wait for someone to try it and tell us. In the mean time my copy of CNX2 and NIK color Effects 3.0 for CNX2 still work just fine as my NEF RAW processor and I can always make trips to Photoshop for anything I can't do in my CNX2 version, which right now is very little. I have not yet made any investments in NIK filters beyond the package that integrates with my CNX2.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

camera"

sfbillm Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jun 2004Sun 18-Sep-11 06:10 PM
841 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#47. "RE: Nik and Nikon - No NX3"
In response to Reply # 0

Santa Fe, US

>If Nik doesn't know Nikon's future plans for software, it
>certainly can't be working on NX3.

I agree. And, as another poster said, w.o. Nik it's hard to see how there can be an NX3.

SantaFeBill

"My photos were more interesting before I learned the rules."

pshnikchch Silver Member Nikonian since 16th May 2007Tue 20-Sep-11 03:36 AM
255 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#57. "RE: Nik and Nikon - No NX3"
In response to Reply # 47
Tue 20-Sep-11 04:13 AM by pshnikchch

Christchurch, NZ

>>If Nik doesn't know Nikon's future plans for software,
>it
>>certainly can't be working on NX3.

>
>I agree. And, as another poster said, w.o. Nik it's hard to
>see how there can be an NX3.
>
>

For all of the discussions, I do not believe that Nikon would drop software that processes its proprietary NEFs to maximum advantage, including the implementation of Picture Controls.

Otherwise what is the point of NEFs?

Now if the next generation CNX could import other raw formats .... !

Peter

http://www.pastoralsystems.co.nz/photography/

sfbillm Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jun 2004Mon 19-Sep-11 11:55 PM
841 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#53. "RE: Nik and Nikon - And Then There's Windows 8"
In response to Reply # 0

Santa Fe, US

From the posts and stories about Windows 8 that seem to be based on information from persons who have good connections with Microsoft, it seems that Win8 is going to be here as soon as this time next year, or even as early as July 2012.

Without Nik's involvement, I can't be optimistic about there being a version of NX that will run under Win8.

SantaFeBill

shootersdesireIN Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Jan 2011Mon 19-Sep-11 11:59 PM
#54. "RE: Nik and Nikon - And Then There's Windows 8"
In response to Reply # 53

Indianapolis, US

My wife is still running windows XP BUT i i have windows 7. Don't plan on upgrading unless its really worth the change

sfbillm Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jun 2004Tue 20-Sep-11 12:14 AM
#55. "RE: Nik and Nikon - And Then There's Windows 8"
In response to Reply # 54

Santa Fe, US

I'm still on XP also. But I have to realize that MS will end support for XP at some point. Perhaps more importantly, sw vendors will also at some point stop writing new programs and/or updates for XP, as most have done for versions of Windows prior to XP.

SantaFeBill

shootersdesireIN Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Jan 2011Tue 20-Sep-11 01:51 AM
#56. "RE: Nik and Nikon - And Then There's Windows 8"
In response to Reply # 55

Indianapolis, US

we should take a count on who still uses XP. The windows program i didn't care for was Vista

Freewheeler10 Registered since 17th Apr 2008Tue 20-Sep-11 01:27 PM
#59. "RE: Nik and Nikon - And Then There's Windows 8"
In response to Reply # 55

Englewood, US

I have one windows machine in the house running XP Pro SP3. It us used
for one purpose--running my weather station software. I don't care if there
are any more updates for XP; it does its job, does it well, no reason to
change unless the machine itself dies; I've already replaced the cpu fan and
case fan a couple times, it just keeps poking along. The rest of the house
is all Apple (two iMacs, two laptops, ipods, iphones, ipads)

___Gary

jfeagans Registered since 18th Apr 2006Tue 20-Sep-11 01:49 PM
33 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#60. "RE: Nik and Nikon - And Then There's Windows 8"
In response to Reply # 59

Northern Virginia, US

I made a personal decision to go with Linux many years ago and have no ties to updates or patches from either Microsoft or Mac. Linux is a computer operating system (Oracle) which is based on free and open source software. The key here is free & "open source" software.

IMHO the OS is leaner, faster and NX 2 runs great. You don't have to be a developer or programmer to operate Linux, the interface is very intuitive. Support is incredible.

Jim

Captain Rich Silver Member Nikonian since 25th May 2006Tue 20-Sep-11 03:44 PM
1177 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#63. "RE: Nik and Nikon - And Then There's Windows 8"
In response to Reply # 60

Savannah, US

Jim

I'm pretty much illiterate on operating systems - I'm strictly an application user. But Linux is interesting to me. I was wondering how you can run CNX on it. Is it operated under something like the Mac uses to run Windows? Feel free to email me if this requires a lengthy discussion, as it's somewhat off topic here. Thanks.

Rich

kennoll Gold Member Nikonian since 07th Feb 2011Tue 20-Sep-11 06:00 PM
#64. "RE: Nik and Nikon - And Then There's Windows 8"
In response to Reply # 63

Seattle, US

Jim, rich,

Count me in if you go off-line with the Linux solution please. When I bought my laptop it came with Vista. I took out the Vista drive, replaced it and loaded up Win 7. I can either setup a dual-boot Linux/Win 7 or build Linux on the separate drive.

Ken

jfeagans Registered since 18th Apr 2006Tue 20-Sep-11 06:48 PM
33 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#65. "RE: Nik and Nikon - And Then There's Windows 8"
In response to Reply # 64
Tue 20-Sep-11 10:10 PM by jfeagans

Northern Virginia, US

>Jim, rich,
>
>Count me in if you go off-line with the Linux solution please.
>When I bought my laptop it came with Vista. I took out the
>Vista drive, replaced it and loaded up Win 7. I can either
>setup a dual-boot Linux/Win 7 or build Linux on the separate
>drive.
>
>Ken/Rich
My recomendation is set it up with a dual boot first and play with it. I'll start a new thread with this and provide a pointer. There are many flavors of Linux available on the market, I like Ubuntu since it has some of the largest software apps available. Please switch over to: http://www.nikonians.org/forums/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=197&topic_id=25002&mesg_id=25002&page=

Freewheeler10 Registered since 17th Apr 2008Wed 21-Sep-11 01:13 PM
#69. "RE: Nik and Nikon - And Then There's Windows 8"
In response to Reply # 60

Englewood, US

A couple times a year I try out Linux on a machine here. The latest run was
last week, with Ubuntu 11.4 and a Compaq/HP laptop. Loaded up OK, but
didn't recognize the laptop wireless card, so no driver downloads; also didn't
pick up the sound card or the proper video card. When Linux becomes really
usable for me (just turn on the machine and go, all hardware automatically
recognized) I may yet switch. i've used Gimp and Open Office off and on
for a few years, and I did get CNX2 running under Linux once; I was
impressed with the speed of CNX2 under Linux.

___Gary

shootersdesireIN Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Jan 2011Tue 20-Sep-11 03:05 PM
#62. "RE: Nik and Nikon - And Then There's Windows 8"
In response to Reply # 59

Indianapolis, US

Gary your Spoiled

gheck58 Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Dec 2003Wed 21-Sep-11 04:50 AM
2703 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#66. "RE: Nik and Nikon - And Then There's Windows 8"
In response to Reply # 62

Aliso Viejo, US

Just give me some more speed, rulers, and a clone stamp in NX3 and I'd be very happy.

Hecky

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Wed 21-Sep-11 06:48 AM
#67. "RE: Nik and Nikon - And Then There's Windows 8"
In response to Reply # 53

San Jose, US

CNX2 runs under Win 7 and i would expect it to run under 8 as well.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

camera"

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Wed 21-Sep-11 12:14 PM
#68. "RE: Nik and Nikon - And Then There's Windows 8"
In response to Reply # 67

Tacoma, US

Maybe the new Nikon 1 series will bring an update, at least to 2.2.8, of CNX.

Mick
www.mickklassphoto.com

kennoll Gold Member Nikonian since 07th Feb 2011Wed 21-Sep-11 06:40 PM
#70. "RE: Nik and Nikon - And Then There's Windows 8"
In response to Reply # 68

Seattle, US

I went over to look at the Nikon 1 series. Impressive. There's also a press center entry (http://press.nikonusa.com/, 1st article, 9/21/2011) extolling the virtues of the Nikon 1 series. Included in the article is "Consumers are also able to create masterpieces of moving images from multiple files using the included Short Movie Creator software. This easy-to-use, intuitive software works in conjunction with Nikon’s View NX2 to make managing photos and movies fun and easy. With these programs, users are empowered to organize, share and edit photos, Motion Snapshots and HD movies. Users are also able to connect and share Motion Snapshot files using Nikon’s my Picturetown, an online resource at www.mypicturetown.com."

Going to www.mypicturetown.com we see where the photo/video managing and editing can be done through View NX2. No mention of Capture NX2 (or a new CNX3).

Maybe I'm reading more (less?) into this in that the omission of CNX2/CNX3 is readily apparent.

Nah! When the D400 comes out there will be a new, improved CNX3.

Ken

Chuckster902 Silver Member Nikonian since 11th Nov 2005Sun 09-Oct-11 01:31 AM
99 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#77. "RE: Nik and Nikon"
In response to Reply # 0

Scotia, US

I look forward to Capture NX3 but like many others, CNX2 does a fine job for me.

Chuck S.

"Life is Messy."

Hotswimmer Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Apr 2008Sat 15-Oct-11 04:27 AM
384 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#78. "RE: Nik and Nikon"
In response to Reply # 0

Annapolis, US

FWIW, when I was talking to a rep at Nik today to buy Color Efex 3 for Capture NX2, which can no longer be purchased via the Nik web site, I was told in response to my question that support for Color Efex 3 for Capture NX2 is going to be transitioned to Nikon.

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Sat 15-Oct-11 07:12 AM
#79. "RE: Nik and Nikon"
In response to Reply # 78

San Jose, US

Do you mean Color Effects 2, as there is no CE3 for NX2?

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

camera"

bobtail Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Sep 2006Sat 15-Oct-11 10:22 AM
60 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#80. "RE: Nik and Nikon"
In response to Reply # 79

Axminster, GB

Oh yes there is !! cep3 for NX2 is the current version. cep4 is out for PS but not for NX2
Nik has also let Corel include cep3 Complete in PSPX4 as a free addition ,so they aren't very interested in cep3 any more ,I think.
Chris.

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Sun 23-Oct-11 01:39 AM
#83. "RE: Nik and Nikon"
In response to Reply # 80

San Jose, US

Yes you are correct, I had a brain lapse when I wrote that.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

camera"

sfbillm Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jun 2004Sun 16-Oct-11 06:53 PM
#81. "RE: Nik and Nikon - Divorce now Final"
In response to Reply # 0

Santa Fe, US

>It appears the long rumored Nik/Nikon divorce is now public.

Not only public, but now final.

CEP for NX2 has been pulled from the Nik U.S. site. The sets are now on the Nikon site.

NX2 is still on the Nik site as of 11/16, but I'm sure it's only a short time before that's gone from there too.

SantaFeBill

richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009Wed 19-Oct-11 02:03 PM
3090 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#82. "RE: Nik and Nikon - Divorce now Final"
In response to Reply # 81
Wed 19-Oct-11 02:05 PM by richardd300

Dyserth, GB

I have only just seen this post and I am surprised at this development. Not being a regular visitor to this forum I obviously missed an ongoing saga. I am very experienced in CS5 having learn't my skills on CS2 onward. I also use Lightroom 3 as the first port of call for post processing, but have a great liking for NCNX2 with it's rendering capabilties, but more so its Upoint technology where I find its selectivity excellent. I also purchased Nik Color Efex 3 as a CNX2 plug in only, but was surprised that before I bought Silver Efex Pro2 a few weeks ago that is limited to Photoshop/Lightroom only and wondered why! Looks like I know now.

So the Nik/Nikon relationship is over. If they are now sleeping apart and the relationship is totally finished, I wonder about the future. As has been mentioned it's strange that a new release of Color Efex 4 has just been released as a Photoshop/Lightroom only version. I will be an unhappy user of Nik products if support for my current Nik products are ceased.

Note to self "I really must visit this and other forums more regularly, instead of restricting myself to the hardware postings "

Visit my Nikonians gallery

Visit my website www.pixels4u.co.uk
The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. Einstein

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #6996 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.