Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #6953
View in linear mode

Subject: "using NIK plug-ins with NX2" Previous topic | Next topic
JazzDoc Gold Member Nikonian since 11th Mar 2006Mon 05-Sep-11 06:12 PM
399 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"using NIK plug-ins with NX2"

Rochester, US

Some time ago I recall an interesting article by Jason Odell on using NIK software with NX2, particularly the Lightroom versions that effectively act not as true plugins, but as pseudo-independent applications. I have not acted on that and simply wish to know if others have done this and if all works nicely using a tiff file intermediary, much like using PS from NX2. I am particularly interested in silver-efex, HDR Efex Pro, and perhaps another. I already have color Efex for NX2. Any experience to share out there? In particular, I run under Windows 7 64-bit professional.
Thanks in advance.
Gary

Gary Paige

my gallery

www.frontpaige-photography.com

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: using NIK plug-ins with NX2
mklass Platinum Member
06th Sep 2011
JazzDoc Gold Member
06th Sep 2011
ericbowles Moderator
06th Sep 2011
mburke
06th Sep 2011
Captain Rich Silver Member
06th Sep 2011
mklass Platinum Member
06th Sep 2011
Captain Rich Silver Member
07th Sep 2011
chuckcars
07th Sep 2011
davidd1833 Silver Member
18th Sep 2011
JazzDoc Gold Member
06th Sep 2011
walkerr Administrator
06th Sep 2011
mklass Platinum Member
06th Sep 2011
TerryMc Silver Member
20th Sep 2011
richardd300 Silver Member
21st Sep 2011

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Tue 06-Sep-11 12:13 AM
5962 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: using NIK plug-ins with NX2"
In response to Reply # 0

Tacoma, US

I've used it with Silver Efex, Sharpener Pro and Dfine, and it works fine. Just attach one or the other to the CNX2 "Open with" command by editing the Open with Application in the General preferences.

If you want to have the option of selecting an app to open TIFFs with on the fly, there is a nifty little app called "Edit List by DWD" that will allow you to specify up to 10 apps that you can choose from when you "Open with" in CNX. It creates the TIFF and opens the app. Do a search here, and it should pop-up.

Lastly, if you use Photo Mechanic, you can ad these programs to the list of optional editors and open either TIF's or JPG in the Nik app of your choice.

Mick
www.mickklassphoto.com

JazzDoc Gold Member Nikonian since 11th Mar 2006Tue 06-Sep-11 01:09 AM
399 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: using NIK plug-ins with NX2"
In response to Reply # 1

Rochester, US

Thanks for the encouragement and affirmation, Mick. Greatly appreciated. I tend to rely primarily upon NX2 and Photo Mechanic for my basic workflow, so I will take your recommendations into action.
cheers
Gary

Gary Paige

my gallery

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Tue 06-Sep-11 11:28 AM
8688 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: using NIK plug-ins with NX2"
In response to Reply # 2

Atlanta, US

And of course Color Efex Pro is available for Capture NX2 and works as an adjustment - meaning you use it within Capture and can selectively apply those adjustments.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

mburke Registered since 29th Dec 2004Tue 06-Sep-11 12:47 PM
125 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: using NIK plug-ins with NX2"
In response to Reply # 3

Rhinelander, US

I use Silver Efex Pro and HDR Efex the same way Mick recommended by saving a Nef as a tiff or jpg with PhotoMechanic then right clicking and open with. The only thing you have to be careful with is that when you close the Nik program it will overwrite the jpg or tiff. It's not a big deal but be aware of it.

By the way - they are both great programs and lots of fun to use. I also use Color efex from within NX2. That is really nice.

Mike

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Captain Rich Silver Member Nikonian since 25th May 2006Tue 06-Sep-11 01:33 PM
1189 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: using NIK plug-ins with NX2"
In response to Reply # 1

Savannah, US

Mick,

Just so I'm clear on your response, do you use the LR or PS versions? Thanks.

Rich

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Tue 06-Sep-11 02:24 PM
5962 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: using NIK plug-ins with NX2"
In response to Reply # 7

Tacoma, US

I bought the LR version, but it seems the updates since have installed for both. Go figure.

I use the Nik apps as "standalones", which is the LR version.

Mick
www.mickklassphoto.com

Captain Rich Silver Member Nikonian since 25th May 2006Wed 07-Sep-11 03:44 PM
1189 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: using NIK plug-ins with NX2"
In response to Reply # 9

Savannah, US

Mick,

Thanks for the additional info. I may spring for these too.

Rich

chuckcars Registered since 22nd Mar 2010Wed 07-Sep-11 07:37 PM
383 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: using NIK plug-ins with NX2"
In response to Reply # 10

Montrose, US

A second to Mick's post. I am a fan of all Nik products, Define works very well. NX2 unsharp mask is terrific. You have to watch oversharpening. My DAM app is Aperture, launch to NX2 with one click. Tweak with Nik.

Best,

Chuck

http://carstensenphoto.com

A Nikon owner since 1955

davidd1833 Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Feb 2006Sun 18-Sep-11 05:37 AM
428 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: using NIK plug-ins with NX2"
In response to Reply # 1

Sydney, AU

Hi

here is a link to the EditList program, mentioned above.

http://www.nikonians.org/dcfp/user_files/191195.zip

Hope it helps.

David

My Gallery

JazzDoc Gold Member Nikonian since 11th Mar 2006Tue 06-Sep-11 12:53 PM
#5. "RE: using NIK plug-ins with NX2"
In response to Reply # 0

Rochester, US

Thanks to all.
Now for a followup. Has anyone compared the NX2 noise and sharpening tools with the Nik stand-along fancy verions--Sharpener and Dfine? I'm guessing the same engine but less fluff and fewer fancier doodads, no?

Gary Paige

my gallery

walkerr Administrator Awarded for his con tributed articles published at the Resources Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in multiple areas Nikonian since 05th May 2002Tue 06-Sep-11 01:02 PM
14596 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: using NIK plug-ins with NX2"
In response to Reply # 5

Colorado Springs, US

Different engines with more sophistication in the plug-ins. Keep in mind that NX2 is a Nikon product with only some functions coming from Nik.

Rick Walker

My photos:
GeoVista Photography

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Tue 06-Sep-11 02:21 PM
#8. "RE: using NIK plug-ins with NX2"
In response to Reply # 5
Tue 06-Sep-11 02:26 PM by mklass

Tacoma, US

I have never been very pleased with CNX2 noise reduction results. It's sharpening tools are OK.

When I need noise reduction, I rely on Dfine or Noiseware standalone version.

Sharpener Pro provides a whole new level of sophisticated sharpening tools. I don't use it much, but when I do I am amazed at the results.

Silver Efex Pro is certainly far more powerful than anything in CNX2, even with the Color Efex plug-in. I use that more than any of the other Nik Products.

I sure would like it if all of the Nik products were offered as plug-ins for CNX.

Mick
www.mickklassphoto.com

TerryMc Silver Member Nikonian since 25th Oct 2008Tue 20-Sep-11 09:22 PM
665 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: using NIK plug-ins with NX2"
In response to Reply # 8

Sagamore Hills, US

>I sure would like it if all of the Nik products were offered
>as plug-ins for CNX.
>
>Mick
>www.mickklassphoto.com

Amen to that.

Terence

richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009Wed 21-Sep-11 03:06 PM
3400 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: using NIK plug-ins with NX2"
In response to Reply # 13

Dyserth, GB

It's a pain when a manufacturer produces a product under it's own name, but it's functionality is dependant on anothers 3rd party software. I sometimes have trouble remembering which software allows me access to which plug in. I mostly use Capture NX2 or Lightroom 3 in preference to CS5 as I find them more intuitive and like to keep my post processing to a minimum. I also have OnOne's Perfect resize which of course works "stand alone" or via the CS5 "Automate" dialog box. I also use the Colour Ffex plug in for NX3. But with Efex Silver have to use CS5. It really annoys me having to switch to another processing software rather than having a one stop shop. Nikon, if you are looking please take note

Visit my Nikonians gallery

Visit my website www.pixels4u.co.uk
The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. Einstein

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #6953 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.