nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #6855
View in linear mode

Subject: "The "Adjust Profile" in NX2 : When do you use it ?" Previous topic | Next topic
TheMohaveKid Registered since 11th Jun 2002Sat 20-Aug-11 04:21 PM
2065 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"The "Adjust Profile" in NX2 : When do you use it ?"

Henderson, US

My question is when do you use this feature ? Before you start developing an image or after you are finisished ?

It seems a bit unproductive to change it after editing. Right ? .. or am I missing something ?

Cheers ...

AKA : Sal Ficarrotta in some parts of the universe.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: The "Adjust Profile" in NX2 : When do you use it ?
FrankSRGB Silver Member
21st Aug 2011
TheMohaveKid
21st Aug 2011
mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
22nd Aug 2011
PAStime Silver Member
23rd Aug 2011
TheMohaveKid
23rd Aug 2011
PAStime Silver Member
23rd Aug 2011
TheMohaveKid
23rd Aug 2011
mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
23rd Aug 2011
PAStime Silver Member
23rd Aug 2011
TheMohaveKid
23rd Aug 2011
23rd Aug 2011
TheMohaveKid
23rd Aug 2011
23rd Aug 2011
TheMohaveKid
23rd Aug 2011
23rd Aug 2011
TheMohaveKid
23rd Aug 2011

FrankSRGB Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Aug 2009Sun 21-Aug-11 02:18 AM
103 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: The "Adjust Profile" in NX2 : When do you use it ?"
In response to Reply # 0

US

The situation determines if it's better to use before or after, as does the choice between applying a profile or converting to a profile. For example, I use it after editing to convert from ProPhotoRGB to sRGB so the image is suitable for web display.

I do think you're missing something. Perhaps you need to read up more on color management and how profiles are used. Beware though, it's not an intuitive topic no matter how simple it appears on the surface.

Regards,
Frank

TheMohaveKid Registered since 11th Jun 2002Sun 21-Aug-11 04:30 PM
2065 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: The "Adjust Profile" in NX2 : When do you use it ?"
In response to Reply # 1

Henderson, US

I am sure there is something missing.

My figuring was that I should have the same profile for the screen as the print profile. Does that make sense ?

It seems to work except I don't like the colors in the profile specified for the the brand of paper I am using. The Nikon sRGB print and screen profile seem to work just fine as opposed to the manufacturers profile which makes things darker and shifts the blues to purple and reduces the warmth in the shot.

It may work fine if I started with the profile set for the paper from the begining.

Does that make any sense ?

Cheers ...

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Mon 22-Aug-11 02:54 PM
6256 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: The "Adjust Profile" in NX2 : When do you use it ?"
In response to Reply # 2

Tacoma, US

Sal,

The profile used for the screen is not the same as the print or paper profile. That will com into play when you are using the soft-proof option.

Unless you have you screen calibrated and are using that calibration for your monitor, nothing will look right, no matter what printer pr paper you are using.

Mick
www.mickklassphoto.com

PAStime Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Feb 2009Tue 23-Aug-11 01:05 AM
2670 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: The "Adjust Profile" in NX2 : When do you use it ?"
In response to Reply # 3
Tue 23-Aug-11 01:06 AM by PAStime

Kingston, CA

>Unless you have you screen calibrated and are using that
>calibration for your monitor, nothing will look right, no
>matter what printer pr paper you are using.

Well, I'd say that's a bit harsh given most people don't calibrate their screens and user printer profiles and are quite happy with their results and their friends (with different monitors) are too.

Sal: what is it your are trying to achieve? Why do you think you need to adjust the profile at all?

I'd recommend Tim Grey's book on colour management if you are interested in this subject.

Cheers,
Peter

TheMohaveKid Registered since 11th Jun 2002Tue 23-Aug-11 02:18 AM
#5. "RE: The "Adjust Profile" in NX2 : When do you use it ?"
In response to Reply # 4
Tue 23-Aug-11 02:23 AM by TheMohaveKid

Henderson, US

Thanks for the book reference.

What happened was I purchased a new paper .. an Inkpress metalic paper and down loaded their profile for the paper. Previously I was printing on Epson's Premium glossy using their printer profiles.

While I understand the importance of calibrating.. everything so far has been printing well and what is on the screen appears in the print. I really can't complain.

I started changing things in order I thought to better utilize the paper from Ink Press. I didn't want to use their paper and not give it the profile that I assumed was best for their paper.

I changed the profile for the screen and selected the profile by Inkpress for the printer. The results were not bad but different from the Epson profiles. Some blues shifted to purple on the print. Sometimes the screen looked better then my previous edit sometimes not so good. Often it turned dark.

What seemed unproductive is that the work I did on the file was disturbed on the screen when I selected the inkpress screen profile after I did the original editing.

In other words I just assumed i needed to change profiles for a different paper. Though other profiles seem to work just fine on the Inkpress paper.

Thanks .. sorry for rambling.

Cheers ...

PAStime Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Feb 2009Tue 23-Aug-11 03:33 AM
2670 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: The "Adjust Profile" in NX2 : When do you use it ?"
In response to Reply # 5

Kingston, CA

Hi. A couple of thoughts:

Changing printer paper (and downloading and using the particular paper's profile) should not require (re)calibrating your monitor or using a particular monitor profile. That's good practice but is not triggered by a change in paper.

Are you softproofing in your image editing tool? That would be the proper way of using a (new) printer profile. An often used process is to duplicate the image in question (in your image editing tool), turn on soft proofing on one copy of the image and then adjust it so that it looks close to the original (or at minimum is a reasonable interpretation of the original).

Cheers,
Peter

TheMohaveKid Registered since 11th Jun 2002Tue 23-Aug-11 04:37 PM
#12. "RE: The "Adjust Profile" in NX2 : When do you use it ?"
In response to Reply # 10

Henderson, US

Thanks ..

I will have to reread soft proofing in my NX2 guide.Have not tried that yet.

Cheers ..

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Tue 23-Aug-11 02:42 AM
6256 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: The "Adjust Profile" in NX2 : When do you use it ?"
In response to Reply # 4

Tacoma, US

Well, then let me rephrase: Without
calibrating your monitor, printing on different papers is a shot in the dark.

Mick
www.mickklassphoto.com

PAStime Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Feb 2009Tue 23-Aug-11 03:26 AM
#9. "RE: The "Adjust Profile" in NX2 : When do you use it ?"
In response to Reply # 7

Kingston, CA

>Well, then let me rephrase: Without
> calibrating your monitor, printing on different papers is a
>shot in the dark.

Nice pun (intended or not!)

Agreed 100% that you can't predict the output (you take your chances) in these situations.

Cheers,
Peter

TheMohaveKid Registered since 11th Jun 2002Tue 23-Aug-11 02:19 AM
#6. "RE: The "Adjust Profile" in NX2 : When do you use it ?"
In response to Reply # 3

Henderson, US

I know you heard this a thousand times but what calibration system would you recomend ?

Cheers ...

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Tue 23-Aug-11 02:51 AM
#8. "RE: The "Adjust Profile" in NX2 : When do you use it ?"
In response to Reply # 6

Tacoma, US

Sal,

It sounds like you have the general concept of calibration in mind. And yes, it usually helps to us the correct profile for the paper/printer combination.

I use a Spyder 3, a lot of people use the ColorMunki. I think either will do a good job for you. The Spyder 3's go for $66 to $180 at B&H, depending on the features you need. The ColorMunki is $112 and up, again depending on features. (You can offset the price of the calibrator by the cost of the paper and ink that you won't waste.)

Aside from the color calibration, make sure your monitor is not too bright (80-90 cd/m2). It also helps if the room you are working in is dim, with no light falling directly on the screen.

Mick
www.mickklassphoto.com

TheMohaveKid Registered since 11th Jun 2002Tue 23-Aug-11 04:34 PM
#11. "RE: The "Adjust Profile" in NX2 : When do you use it ?"
In response to Reply # 8

Henderson, US

Thanks .. I am going to check it out. Under $200. woukld be very reasonable given ink and paper cost. I have a Dell screen and a Epson 2880. I will have to investigate what features may be needed.

Any thoughts on key features ?

Cheers ...

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Tue 23-Aug-11 05:05 PM
#13. "RE: The "Adjust Profile" in NX2 : When do you use it ?"
In response to Reply # 11

Tacoma, US

Most of the more expensive versions also profile projectors and TV screens. If you don't need that, you can get something in the low to mid part of the price range.

Some of the packages also come with a print profiler so you can create your own printer/paper profiles. If you can get these from the paper manufacturers for your specific printer, you really don't need the print calibrator. Epson obviously is no problem. I use Red Reiver Papers a lot and they have profiles for specific printers and each of their papers. I think most quality paper manufacturers also have profiles, and likely specifically for the 2880.

As I mentioned earlier, it is important that the calibrator also help you set your monitor brightness. This is the leading cause of dark prints. The Syyder 3 does that (which I know because I use it). Others can probably tell you about the ColorMunki or different calibrators.

Mick
www.mickklassphoto.com

TheMohaveKid Registered since 11th Jun 2002Tue 23-Aug-11 05:23 PM
#14. "RE: The "Adjust Profile" in NX2 : When do you use it ?"
In response to Reply # 13

Henderson, US

Hey thanks so much for your input.

B&H has a Spyder3Pro for $128.

It list Winows 7 as an operating system and adjust for luminance. I would think that should work ? The price is less then my last shipment of paper.

I am just looking for consistent printing and being able to match my work from the screen to the printer.

Cheers ...

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Tue 23-Aug-11 07:59 PM
#15. "RE: The "Adjust Profile" in NX2 : When do you use it ?"
In response to Reply # 14

Tacoma, US

Sal,

I think you will find that this helps a lot once you get it dialed in along with your paper profiles.

Mick
www.mickklassphoto.com

TheMohaveKid Registered since 11th Jun 2002Tue 23-Aug-11 09:51 PM
#16. "RE: The "Adjust Profile" in NX2 : When do you use it ?"
In response to Reply # 15

Henderson, US

Thanks .. I am ordering a unit today.

Cheers ..

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #6855 Previous topic | Next topic