Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
darthsir

US
52 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
darthsir Registered since 06th May 2011
Mon 15-Aug-11 07:16 AM

For viewnx2, when editing a jpeg (4-6mb size) and then saving the changes, the new file is considerable smaller (~1mb) than the original. The original is still kept in a backup folder so no ultimate loss but what about the new small edited file? It still has original dimensions and looks fine. My guess would be the an original jpeg has some extra info (similar to raw but less) that isn't actually used but could be used during editing. When saving an edit, it then drops any info except what was declared as useful during the edit? Question mark as that's a guess.

Reason I ask, is I've been editing some old files for uploading. I almost want to edit all of them (even if they don't need it), as it reduces upload time. Am I shooting myself in the foot on this one?

I also use Elements9. It doesn't seem to reduce the size of files. Maybe I inadvertantly have viewnx2 on a setting that does a reduction in file size?

Dewey

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

http://www.dkmoon.zenfolio.com

G