Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #6711
View in linear mode

Subject: "I have a software delema Help!" Previous topic | Next topic
shootersdesireIN Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Jan 2011Fri 29-Jul-11 04:45 AM
117 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"I have a software delema Help!"
Fri 29-Jul-11 04:45 AM by shootersdesireIN

Indianapolis, US

I have a software delema... I have been using Lightroom now for 3 years. I bought elements9 so i could do layers and other things lightroom can't do. I heard that Nikon Capture nx3 does a better job of Raw files so i bought it. I learned of a site Lynda.com where you can learn all you need to know about Adobe products and more for a small monthly fee. Nikon doesn't offer much as far as learning there stuff. BUT i am starting to understand how ncns2 works. I did some research to see which one is the better one and i came across a sourse where this guy takes photos of conserts and he compared the new lightroom3 with ncns2. This guy has been a ns2 user for years BUT he showed where lightroom is just as good converting Raw files now. So my Question is should i abandon ncnx2 and just stick with adobe and learn the programs better and just use nikon for transfering files and converting to Tiff or abandon ncns2 alltogether

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: I have a software delema Help!
mklass Platinum Member
29th Jul 2011
shootersdesireIN Silver Member
29th Jul 2011
ericbowles Moderator
29th Jul 2011
     Reply message RE: Fraudulent software vendor
ericbowles Moderator
30th Jul 2011
PAStime Silver Member
29th Jul 2011
ericbowles Moderator
29th Jul 2011
29th Jul 2011
ericbowles Moderator
29th Jul 2011
29th Jul 2011
ericbowles Moderator
29th Jul 2011
robsb Platinum Member
31st Jul 2011
PAStime Silver Member
29th Jul 2011
mklass Platinum Member
29th Jul 2011
PAStime Silver Member
30th Jul 2011
barrywesthead Silver Member
30th Jul 2011
mklass Platinum Member
30th Jul 2011
30th Jul 2011
mklass Platinum Member
30th Jul 2011
walkerr Administrator
30th Jul 2011
robsb Platinum Member
31st Jul 2011
PAStime Silver Member
30th Jul 2011
30th Jul 2011
robsb Platinum Member
31st Jul 2011
JonK Moderator
29th Jul 2011
29th Jul 2011
mklass Platinum Member
29th Jul 2011
29th Jul 2011
ericbowles Moderator
29th Jul 2011
29th Jul 2011
Kidkett Silver Member
30th Jul 2011
30th Jul 2011
Kidkett Silver Member
30th Jul 2011
31st Jul 2011
30th Jul 2011
cliddell Silver Member
30th Jul 2011
30th Jul 2011
ericbowles Moderator
30th Jul 2011

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Fri 29-Jul-11 12:06 PM
5860 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: I have a software delema Help!"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri 29-Jul-11 12:07 PM by mklass

Tacoma, US

David,

This is almost impossible to answer as it really depends on what you think you are missing using your current software. If it is just layers, CNX2 isn't going to help. onOne has a new layers plug-in (Perfect Layers) that will work with Lightroom. (actually, it also works on any file as a stand-alone app, so you could use CNX).

There are may learning tools for CNX.Here are a few:

• tutorials on the Nikon web site
  • Books and E-books by MIke Hagen and Jason O'Dell
  • Webinars and on-line training by Jason O'Dell and Winston Hall
  • Nikonians Workshops
  • this forum

Many of us swear by CNX, think it does the best job converting raw files, and is a fast, easy to use editor with unique features. Others swear at CNX for not being stable enough and feel they can accomplish the same or better results in other software. This is an unresolvable debate with no right answer for everybody.

So, my suggestions is, give it a try and if you don't think you get he results that you want, or don't like the way it works, stop using it. You've already bought it so you might as well give it a try.

Mick

Mick
www.mickklassphoto.com

shootersdesireIN Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Jan 2011Fri 29-Jul-11 12:40 PM
117 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: I have a software delema Help!"
In response to Reply # 1
Sat 30-Jul-11 12:17 PM by shootersdesireIN

Indianapolis, US

my thinking is to stay with Nikon software and even though i have Photomatix i am looking into HDR efex pro. I found a site to upload software @ very good prices and havn't found anything wrong with it either. In fact there recommended by Cnet. This is where i got CNS2 from for 79.00. I can get pretty much any software from there without spend asrm and a leg. My thoughts were on color efex pro as well. I want to build on Nikon and get rid of my Adobe stuff. Not sure if that makes sence to many here. With elements 9 and adobe lightroom i could most likely achieve the same thing. This is my delema i got myself into.
Here is the download site i found. Like myself your taking a risk but it looks legid to me...

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Fri 29-Jul-11 01:21 PM
8514 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: I have a software delema Help!"
In response to Reply # 3
Fri 29-Jul-11 01:22 PM by ericbowles

Atlanta, US

Be careful about using exceptionally cheap channels. Nikon recently blocked the upgrade path for a large number of users who had purchased software from an illegitimate channel. I would assume other vendors can do the same.

Your link looks fine - but so did a large site that was not legitimate.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Sat 30-Jul-11 11:13 AM
8514 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#18. "RE: Fraudulent software vendor"
In response to Reply # 3
Sat 30-Jul-11 11:14 AM by ericbowles

Atlanta, US

I contacted Nik Software and they confirmed that search-downloads.com is not a legitimate vendor of Nik products.

What that means is that if you need to upgrade the program - you will have to buy a full copy rather than an upgrade version. What's also important is the developer of the program is being cheated out of their revenue.

This kind of software theft creates a significant problem across the industry. The approach is similar to what you have from search-downloads - throw around logos from legitimate companies to communicate legitimacy. And the picture of a building is a really nice touch. But they are fraudulent just the same.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

PAStime Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Feb 2009Fri 29-Jul-11 12:37 PM
2669 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: I have a software delema Help!"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri 29-Jul-11 12:38 PM by PAStime

Kingston, CA

Adobe Camera Raw, as found in Photoshop Elements and Adobe Lightroom, and Nikon Capture NX2 have both excellent raw converters and are both used by professionals and hobbyists alike. I wouldn't base your decision on which software to use on the raw conversion capability. I would base it on other features you may be interested in, such as the availability of training materials and retouching brushes, etc. Peter

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Fri 29-Jul-11 01:16 PM
#4. "RE: I have a software delema Help!"
In response to Reply # 0

Atlanta, US

Maybe the way to look at the issue is based on your workflow. The products are different and imply a different workflow.

If you primary goal is an accurate RAW conversion, Capture NX2 or View NX2 are the easiest - they use the actual camera information as developed by Nikon to render RAW images. If you are trying to render RAW images to your taste, or to a pre-established look, other products may be of interest.

If your primary goal is cataloging, Lightroom is the preferred option.

Once you have rendered the RAW image as a NEF, TIFF, or other format, you have some options. Both Capture and Lightroom can produce good images. Often it works out to personal preference.

If you place a high value on the selective editing aspects of Capture and Nik, you will probably stick with those programs. I am using Silver Efex and Color Efex with Capture and find them to be very intuitive.

If you use a lot of plugins - the options are much greater with the Adobe family. If you do a lot of cloning or combining images, the Adobe programs are probably better.

So bottom line, you will need to commit to one program as your primary editor and that needs to be part of a larger workflow strategy. I've see Canon pros who use CNX2 over Lightroom based on features. And Lightroom has largely replaced CS5 and other Photoshop family products because of its simplicity.

I've been using the Capture family since Capture NX. I find the only significant gaps are around cloning and watermarks. For the rest of my editing, it provides the RAW processing, global adjustments, and selective edits in an efficient manner.

I'd probably look at your current workflow and utilization to clarify what you feel are your main needs and your biggest challenges.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

shootersdesireIN Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Jan 2011Fri 29-Jul-11 02:03 PM
#6. "RE: I have a software delema Help!"
In response to Reply # 4
Fri 29-Jul-11 02:13 PM by shootersdesireIN

Indianapolis, US

Eric the main thing is perfection in a given photo. I am getting use to cnx2 but when i posted my photos they weren't all that great kind of dull so i went through lightroom to strengthen them up. But then again its most likely i havn't learned cnx2 yet or just use to lightroom.. HDR efex has a lot to offer over photomatix plus i can tie it into cnx2 can't i. I'm @ the point i need an aspirin Peter i am for that reason. BUT like Eric mentioned cnx2 reads what the camera data has in it where adobe can't.Here's my photostream on flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/52097330@N05/

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Fri 29-Jul-11 02:16 PM
#7. "RE: I have a software delema Help!"
In response to Reply # 6

Atlanta, US

If your photos are dull and Lightroom is better, it's a matter of learning CNX2 better. It may also be a matter of learning to assess what is needed in a photo edit.

Most of the NIK programs can be used outside of Lightroom. Some work easily - Like Color Efex. Others require saving a TIFF and opening it separately like Silver Efex. I don't use HDR Efex but would guess you can open it eparately if you save your NEF as a TIFF.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

shootersdesireIN Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Jan 2011Fri 29-Jul-11 02:45 PM
#8. "RE: I have a software delema Help!"
In response to Reply # 7

Indianapolis, US

I am coming to realize that processing in hdr you lose sharpness of an image. So my days doing hdr maybe slim. I understand color efex but what is silver efex. i would like to build a strong format for using these programs by Nikon. Over the years i have battled between Canon and Nikon and have decided i prefer Nikon over Canon. I have been @ this hot and heavy for 3 years now. Its time to produce Great shots not averagebut with that said Layers will have a big part in that. I know that now...

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Fri 29-Jul-11 02:54 PM
#9. "RE: I have a software delema Help!"
In response to Reply # 8

Atlanta, US

Silver Efex is a black and white editing product from Nik. It is by most accounts the leading product for B&W conversion.

It can be used as a stand alone product since a CNX2 product is not available. From Adobe products it is a plugin. Functionally, it reminds me a lot of Capture in terms of sliders and navigation.

I have seen some very sharp HDR images. Assuming no subject movement you might try sharpening and post processing in Capture after creating the HDR TIFF. Just save it as a NEF in Capture and all edits are reversible. Now you may lose contrast - which could have the appearance of losing sharpness.

We've got a Forum on HDR so you can get specific help there.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Sun 31-Jul-11 05:20 AM
12587 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#36. "RE: I have a software delema Help!"
In response to Reply # 8

San Jose, US

CNX2 dies not have layers because generally it does not need them. With the exceptio of where you would have different images on different layers like you would need to do Pano's, stacking, and composits, pretty much every other use of layers, e.g. non distructive edits, masks, sharpening, selective edits,etc can be done in CNX2 without layers.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

"Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the
camera"

Retirement is a gift of time - Don't waste it!

PAStime Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Feb 2009Fri 29-Jul-11 09:34 PM
2669 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: I have a software delema Help!"
In response to Reply # 4

Kingston, CA

>If you primary goal is an accurate RAW conversion, Capture NX2

I'm not in 100% agreement with this. Accurate against what standard? All raw conversion is an artistic interpretation of how to convert a monochrome spatial distribution of mundane photons in buckets into something with appropriate white balance, dynamic range, colour distribution, sharpness, contrast distribution, etc. Although Capture NX2 reads the camera settings during its raw conversion, those camera settings are no more than raw conversion parameters by Nikon. There really isn't a difference if they originate in a Nikon camera or in some Adobe engineer's desktop.

Yes, I am being nit picky

Peter

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Fri 29-Jul-11 10:14 PM
5860 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#17. "RE: I have a software delema Help!"
In response to Reply # 16

Tacoma, US

>
>>If you primary goal is an accurate RAW conversion, Capture
>NX2
>
>I'm not in 100% agreement with this. Accurate against what
>standard? All raw conversion is an artistic interpretation
>of how to convert a monochrome spatial distribution of mundane
>photons in buckets into something with appropriate white
>balance, dynamic range, colour distribution, sharpness,
>contrast distribution, etc. Although Capture NX2 reads the
>camera settings during its raw conversion, those camera
>settings are no more than raw conversion parameters by Nikon.
>There really isn't a difference if they originate in a Nikon
>camera or in some Adobe engineer's desktop.
>
>Yes, I am being nit picky
>
It is how God (or at least Nikon) intended it.

More importantly, if you want predictable results based on how you set the camera, it's most likely to give you that. What you do with it afterward is up to your post processing.

Mick
www.mickklassphoto.com

PAStime Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Feb 2009Sat 30-Jul-11 08:18 PM
#24. "RE: I have a software delema Help!"
In response to Reply # 17

Kingston, CA

>It is how God (or at least Nikon) intended it.
>More importantly, if you want predictable results based on how
>you set the camera, it's most likely to give you that. What
>you do with it afterward is up to your post processing.

Hi Mick,

OK, I see, we are in agreement. Indeed CNX2 will interpret settings one makes in their Nikon body and apply those with accuracy during raw conversion. I was taking issue that CNX2's raw convertor makes a more accurate raw conversion relative to the actual scene photographed. That I think is debatable as I think Nikon and Adobe are equally capable of achieving that (with varying degrees of difficulty on behalf of the user).

Cheers,
Peter

barrywesthead Silver Member Awareded for his continued support of the Nikonians community, freely sharing his expertise, particularly in the areas of digital post processing and printing. Nikonian since 07th Nov 2006Sat 30-Jul-11 09:48 PM
1254 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#26. "RE: I have a software delema Help!"
In response to Reply # 24

Kleinburg, CA

>
>OK, I see, we are in agreement. Indeed CNX2 will interpret
>settings one makes in their Nikon body and apply those with
>accuracy during raw conversion.
>

No doubt this has been discussed in the past but I’m just wondering – if one is shooting in RAW, what is the value of bothering with in-camera image processing settings at the time of shooting when they can be applied at processing time?

Barry
http://art2printimages.com

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Sat 30-Jul-11 10:07 PM
#27. "RE: I have a software delema Help!"
In response to Reply # 26

Tacoma, US

>
>No doubt this has been discussed in the past but I’m just
>wondering – if one is shooting in RAW, what is the value of
>bothering with in-camera image processing settings at the time
>of shooting when they can be applied at processing time?
>
To me it is a decision on how much post processing work I want to do vs. having images right, or very close to right, or as close to right as possible, at capture time. Plus, when looking at the image in the camera LCD, the preview JPG that displays is going to be based on the settings in the camera. I believe the histograms are, as well.

Mick
www.mickklassphoto.com

shootersdesireIN Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Jan 2011Sat 30-Jul-11 10:22 PM
#28. "RE: I have a software delema Help!"
In response to Reply # 27

Indianapolis, US

Mick Exactly if not why else would we even need CNX2. Now if i use lightroom to transfer photos to that won't effect Nikon reading the Raw files will it? I believe after all these post and even more investigating, it would be to our advantage to open the file and convert it to Tiff when done editing with cnx2 as a save as to preserve the original file then upoad it to lightroom for any final editing done

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Sat 30-Jul-11 10:33 PM
#30. "RE: I have a software delema Help!"
In response to Reply # 28

Tacoma, US

CNX will modify the Raw file when resaved. I believe Lightroom modifies the RAW file when saved. I believe that if you open the RAW file with one, save it, then attempt to open it with the other, it will not open in the second app.

If that is the case, to do some testing you would need to make a duplicate of the original RAW file before opening it in either. Someone more knowledgeable about ACR can clarify this or correct any errors.

As for a workflow with CNX and LR: yes, edit the file in CNX. Save it. Save again as a TIF or JPG, then open in LR or any other app (this is when I would use Silver Efex, Perfect Resize or Noiseware as a standalone app).

Have fun experimenting. They are only bits and bytes.

Mick
www.mickklassphoto.com

walkerr Administrator Awarded for his con tributed articles published at the Resources Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in multiple areas Nikonian since 05th May 2002Sat 30-Jul-11 10:52 PM
14431 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#31. "RE: I have a software delema Help!"
In response to Reply # 30

Colorado Springs, US

Lightroom and ACR do not modify NEF files when you edit them. There is no problem with editing a NEF in either program and then opening it in the other. The edits simply won't be seen. You may see a minor problem with several programs if a file has been edited with Capture NX2. Sometimes it causes the other programs to see it turned 90 degrees (easily fixed). ViewNX2 will be unable to edit a NEF after Capture NX2 edits it.

Rick Walker

My photos:
GeoVista Photography

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Sun 31-Jul-11 04:39 AM
12587 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#35. "RE: I have a software delema Help!"
In response to Reply # 30

San Jose, US

It is more basic than that. Both CNX2 and LR edits are saved differently, So if you open a NEF in CNX@ and then edit it, the edits are saved back in the NEF as edit steps, If you now open that same NEF in LR, it will not see the edits and say you do new edits in LR and save the file, CNX2 will not see those edits. If you want to use any Adobe Product in a work flow with CNX2 it is best to process the RAW file in CNX2 and then move a TIFF to the Adobe products as it bakes in the CNX2 edits. Now you can work in the Adobe programs and do additional edits you may need like cloning.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

camera"

PAStime Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Feb 2009Sat 30-Jul-11 10:24 PM
#29. "RE: I have a software delema Help!"

Kingston, CA

>To me it is a decision on how much post processing work I want
>to do vs. having images right, or very close to right, or as
>close to right as possible, at capture time. Plus, when
>looking at the image in the camera LCD, the preview JPG that
>displays is going to be based on the settings in the camera. I
>believe the histograms are, as well.

Exactly my view too! Get it right in camera and post processing time is near zero. In addition, post processing can only fix so much, so getting it right in camera, exposure for example, is important.

Peter

barrywesthead Silver Member Awareded for his continued support of the Nikonians community, freely sharing his expertise, particularly in the areas of digital post processing and printing. Nikonian since 07th Nov 2006Sat 30-Jul-11 11:29 PM
1254 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#32. "RE: I have a software delema Help!"
Sat 30-Jul-11 11:31 PM by barrywesthead

Kleinburg, CA

>>
>>No doubt this has been discussed in the past but I’m just
>>wondering – if one is shooting in RAW, what is the value
>of
>>bothering with in-camera image processing settings at the
>time
>>of shooting when they can be applied at processing time?
>>
>To me it is a decision on how much post processing work I want
>to do vs. having images right, or very close to right, or as
>close to right as possible, at capture time. Plus, when
>looking at the image in the camera LCD, the preview JPG that
>displays is going to be based on the settings in the camera. I
>believe the histograms are, as well.
>

Thanks for clarifying. Personally, I really can’t see the LCD image (without good lighting and reading glasses) but fortunately I can see the histogram, blinkies and, on the D7000, the excellent “Info” display on the LCD which can be programmed to pop up with the “Backlights ON” pull on the power switch)!

Different strokes for different folks – I actually get the most artistic satisfaction from the post processing process and can happily spend hours there; could be I’m better with computers than I am with cameras?

This even applies to event photography... It’s amazing how fast a few hundred images can be cropped and processed using presets and syncing in Lightroom.

Barry

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Sun 31-Jul-11 04:32 AM
#34. "RE: I have a software delema Help!"
In response to Reply # 24

San Jose, US

Peter I for onr do not sgree completely with your assertion. Adobe WB is not the same as CNX2, and Adobe cannot process ADL images as example. While I do agree that given time and skill you can make an Adobe image look as good as what you get rightout of the camera using CNX2, it takes extra work.If you don't care that you are paying big bucks for all those camera settings Adobe is ignoring then you are correct. If you are happier with the way Adobe does things than there is no eason you shoulds not use it.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

camera"

JonK Moderator Awarded for his high level skills and in-depth knowledge in various areas, such as Wildlife, Landscape and Stage Photography Nikonian since 03rd Jul 2004Fri 29-Jul-11 04:08 PM
4460 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: I have a software delema Help!"
In response to Reply # 0

New York, US

David, as has been implied above, there is no right choice here. In my day job (graphic arts) I've been a Photoshop user for over 20 years and for the past three years have used CNX for most of my photo work. Generally speaking: you can get the same end result from different software by different means and techniques. Software edits bits. You capture and create the image.

Pick the software that does what you want using tools and techniques that you are comfortable using.

Jon Kandel
A New York City Nikonian and Team Member
Please visit my website and critique the images!

shootersdesireIN Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Jan 2011Fri 29-Jul-11 04:34 PM
#11. "RE: I have a software delema Help!"
In response to Reply # 10

Indianapolis, US

Well i have looked @ some photos processed with ncns2 and not sure why but it appears those images have more of a high contrast to them. So with that said i'm going to adobe...Thanks for the imput and understanding...David

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Fri 29-Jul-11 04:51 PM
#12. "RE: I have a software delema Help!"
In response to Reply # 11

Tacoma, US

>Well i have looked @ some photos processed with ncns2 and not
>sure why but it appears those images have more of a high
>contrast to them. So with that said i'm going to
>adobe...Thanks for the imput and understanding...David

David,

The contrast is purely a function of your camera settings and what you do to anjust contrast in the software.

CNX may do a more accurate job of reading your camera settings and give you a different initial image than ACR (I don't know this through experience as I don't use ACR). However, if you are shooting RAW, contrast (and almost everythign else) is easily adjustable in the software (CNX, LR, PS, whatever) if you didn't get it the way you want in the camera.

Of course if you are shooting JPG, the adjustment options are less.

You've got all you need to take a some unedited images and run a copy of each (yes, make seperate copies so you aren't stacking the edits) through the different software workflows to see what you like better. Reading other people's reviews, or looking at their pictures won't get you an answer.

Mick
www.mickklassphoto.com

shootersdesireIN Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Jan 2011Fri 29-Jul-11 05:00 PM
#13. "RE: I have a software delema Help!"
In response to Reply # 12

Indianapolis, US

the images i checked out were not my own but i did notice the same thing with my photos processed in ncns2. I am very familiar with lightroom 3. I am sure that over time i could come to a better understanding of ncns2 but with 2 programs i all ready own one for editing the other for layers if need be i'm going to stay with Adobe for now. Also the benifits of Lynda.com is going to help me tremendously for a small monthly fee.. Thanks again David

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Fri 29-Jul-11 07:49 PM
#14. "RE: I have a software delema Help!"
In response to Reply # 13

Atlanta, US

It's completely your call on what software you prefer. But contrast in images is not a factor of differentiation between the two products. It's a matter of the way a specific image was edited and the skills of the person making the edits.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

shootersdesireIN Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Jan 2011Fri 29-Jul-11 08:29 PM
#15. "RE: I have a software delema Help!"
In response to Reply # 14

Indianapolis, US

i agree eric but the photos i checked in here were all the same by a 5 different users. I havn't given up on ncns2 just won't be my primary useage. Elements 9 has a serious support line as well and will accept efex plugins like Silver, color & HDR

Kidkett Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Apr 2010Sat 30-Jul-11 12:29 PM
434 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#22. "RE: I have a software delema Help!"
In response to Reply # 15

Campo, US

Hi David,
Like you I used Lightroom 3 from the day the trial came out and maybe I need to learn even more how to do more with the program. But I felt that my pictures could look better so I tried Capture NX 2. When I was first learning it was kind of hit and miss, sometimes I could really get what I was looking for and then at times it just wasn’t there. Then I bought Jason P. Odell’s The Photographer’s Guide to Capture NX2 and he really explains in depth of how to use this program. If you really want to learn how to use Capture NX2 I suggest you think about this learning guide. I now am able to get the pictures the way I want them to look and think they look more natural than any program I have used.

No it’s not Photoshop CS5 that I use sometime to fix what I can’t do in Capture but I have learned to do 95% in Capture NX2 that is more to my liking. Yes sometime it locks up and I have to restart it, so it does have its drawbacks but overall it gives me the best pictures that I can make out of the three programs and I like being able to use my in camera settings that I can’t with the other programs. Lightroom has the best filing system for the pictures as you know if you have used it that Capture can’t even compare with.

The next version of Lightroom will probably be as good or better than Capture if Nikon doesn’t come out with something new, but I think Nikon will come out with its next version in September if I am reading thing right. Like they are saying here not any one program is for any one person and you have to pick the one that is best for you and go with it. But if you want to see what you can do with Capture go to Jason Odell website http://www.luminescentphoto.com/ and see what he has to offer. He also has a video for Sharpening Techniques for Capture NX2 you might want to look at plus Mastering HDR Efex Pro that I think you can buy in bundles. If not email him and ask and see what he can do for you. I use Color Efex Pro 3.0 with Capture and I am very happy the way it works together. Just something for you to think about, and take a look at no matter what program you decide to use.

Good Luck
Bill

shootersdesireIN Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Jan 2011Sat 30-Jul-11 09:09 PM
#25. "RE: I have a software delema Help!"
In response to Reply # 22

Indianapolis, US

WOW thanks i appreciate that. I am uploading it as we Type
I think the right way for me to do this is transfer them through adobe lightroom, then process them through CNS2 1st then review again through Adobe lightroom. I hope this is worth the mooney...lol
ps. though not related to subject: i am a huge fan of Michael freeman

Kidkett Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Apr 2010Sat 30-Jul-11 11:53 PM
434 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#33. "RE: I have a software delema Help!"
In response to Reply # 25

Campo, US

Yes David I still load all my pictures in Lightroom 3 even today as it has a great filing system. But for some reason I can’t send the original NEF file to Capture NX2 from Lightroom, it sends it as a Tiff or a PSD file. So I have to load the NEF file from where the original file is located into Capture NX2. But I can click on a picture and “Show in Explorer” and it show me right where it is and I can open it in Capture from there. Or if I need all the pictures from that upload I know where to find them. Let me know how you like Jason’s learning program and if you think it was worth it.

Enjoy
Bill

shootersdesireIN Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Jan 2011Sun 31-Jul-11 06:14 AM
#37. "RE: I have a software delema Help!"
In response to Reply # 33

Indianapolis, US

I got in tonight around 12 pm. Was out shooting along the canal downtown Indy. When i got in i uploaded the photos into CNS2. then clicked on the photos i bracketed and sent them to a new folder in the original one labeled HDR. Then I Saved as 8 tiff format not 16 bit. Once i was done i went through the nef files of the hdr photos ranked them 1 that i may go over. Then i deleted the nef files that were converted to Tiff for hdr (Space).
I have reguler images i took that i will go through with cns2.All together i took 192 photos Saturday night..WOOHOO

barrywesthead Silver Member Awareded for his continued support of the Nikonians community, freely sharing his expertise, particularly in the areas of digital post processing and printing. Nikonian since 07th Nov 2006Sat 30-Jul-11 11:24 AM
#19. "RE: I have a software delema Help!"
In response to Reply # 13

Kleinburg, CA

>i'm going to stay with Adobe for now. Also the benifits of
>Lynda.com is going to help me tremendously for a small monthly
>fee.. Thanks again David

This issue is entirely a matter of personal opinion, there is no “right” answer. My opinion is that you made the right choice for your situation. Adobe is a software company and hence has a huge number of users so you will always find more help and support available for their software than for Nikon software.

As almost all respondents have said, at you level of expertise both products can do the job for you.

Barry

cliddell Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Oct 2006Sat 30-Jul-11 12:10 PM
994 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#20. "RE: I have a software delema Help!"
In response to Reply # 19

Pietermaritzburg, ZA

I just need to comment on the use of "ncns2" instead of CNX2. If you use the incorrect initials then your searching for assistance, comments or other on the web will be fruitless.

Anyway, hope you sort out a work flow that you prefer.

Regards,
Clive Liddell
Pietermaritzburg
South Africa

shootersdesireIN Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Jan 2011Sat 30-Jul-11 12:20 PM
#21. "RE: I have a software delema Help!"
In response to Reply # 20

Indianapolis, US

Thanks for the heads up Clive and Eric i removed that site from this thread

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Sat 30-Jul-11 12:59 PM
#23. "RE: I have a software delema Help!"
In response to Reply # 21

Atlanta, US

Thanks, David

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #6711 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.