Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #6709
View in linear mode

Subject: "Capture NX2 keywords" Previous topic | Next topic
expat Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Mar 2010Thu 28-Jul-11 07:47 PM
532 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Capture NX2 keywords"

Qawra St Pauls Bay, MT

Some time ago I asked questions about keywords, can i resurect the subject in case any newer members can help please?

My keyword list is huge, I can delete from it using -
C:\Users\Name\AppData\Roaming\Nikon\Capture NX 2\application.cfg

But the list just replicates itself later on as images are opened.
Is the following correct?

I open an old image & all the keywords from that image ie keywords that have been inserted previously are reinserted into the list in NX2, (XMP/ITPC info menu).
If I open another image all its keywords are inserted into the list and any words which were also in the first image are inserted again.
So if I have say 400 images which I open at any time, all their keywords are now in that list and duplicated many times.

I am talking about keywords alreaady in the images obviously any new ones will also be added?

(I know that words can be deleted in the menu but that does not permenently remove them)

Thanks and apologies for opening an old subject but could someone at least tell me what happens in their NX2? I have the latest legal version and have done a reinstal.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Capture NX2 keywords
mklass Platinum Member
28th Jul 2011
expat Silver Member
29th Jul 2011
mklass Platinum Member
29th Jul 2011
expat Silver Member
29th Jul 2011
mklass Platinum Member
29th Jul 2011
expat Silver Member
31st Jul 2011
mklass Platinum Member
31st Jul 2011
expat Silver Member
31st Jul 2011
expat Silver Member
03rd Aug 2011
mklass Platinum Member
03rd Aug 2011
expat Silver Member
03rd Aug 2011
expat Silver Member
06th Aug 2011
expat Silver Member
06th Aug 2011
mklass Platinum Member
06th Aug 2011
expat Silver Member
13th Aug 2011
photomy
03rd Sep 2011
expat Silver Member
03rd Sep 2011

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Thu 28-Jul-11 10:17 PM
5864 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Capture NX2 keywords"
In response to Reply # 0

Tacoma, US

This is not a direct answer to your question, but I would not use CNX for keywording or any IPTC data entry ot management.It is sometimes convenient to do it there, but this is not CNX forte (neither is file management).

Use a program like Photo Mechanic. It is extremely easy and flexible in keywording and an excellent image file manager. You can use structure keyword lists (either imported or your own, to insure that you ahve consistent keywords.

The features are way to many to go through here, so I suggest the 20 day demo: http://www.camerabits.com/pages/demoreg.cgi

I was recently told by a fellow Nikonian that if you call them to order it and say you are a Nikonian, that you can get a discount.

I've used this for about 4 years, and am just a customer, but I swear by it (Not at it!).

Mick
www.mickklassphoto.com

expat Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Mar 2010Fri 29-Jul-11 06:07 AM
532 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Capture NX2 keywords"
In response to Reply # 1

Qawra St Pauls Bay, MT

Mick thanks for that, have been thinking about PM for some time.
My problem will still be there though because when I open an image in Capture that list will still keep populating with whatever keywords are embedded.
I just wanted to kmow if other peoples NX2 behaved the same.

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Fri 29-Jul-11 11:28 AM
5864 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Capture NX2 keywords"
In response to Reply # 2

Tacoma, US

David,

Capture NX may keep doing it's thing with keywords and it's own list, but it should not have any impact on the keywords associated with a file. I do all of my keywording in PM, and never in CNX. I have not had CNX make an unwanted change to an image's keywords.

Mick
www.mickklassphoto.com

expat Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Mar 2010Fri 29-Jul-11 01:21 PM
#4. "RE: Capture NX2 keywords"
In response to Reply # 3

Qawra St Pauls Bay, MT

Could I use PM just for keywording and catalogue purposes without it interfering with CNX 2 as an editor? My needs are very simple I process one NEF in CNX 2 then produce a Tif & a jpeg from the master adding keywords, thats about it, apart from naming & filing the images onto an external HD.

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Fri 29-Jul-11 01:37 PM
#5. "RE: Capture NX2 keywords"
In response to Reply # 4

Tacoma, US

Absolutely, PM and CNX play very nicely together. There are a few settings that PM has that are designed to enhance it's compatibility with CNX.

If you wish, in PM you can make one set of changes in the IPTC data (Keywords, etc) that will cover both the NEF and JPG. You can also do the same with filenames.

Mick
www.mickklassphoto.com

expat Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Mar 2010Sun 31-Jul-11 10:18 AM
#6. "RE: Capture NX2 keywords"
In response to Reply # 5

Qawra St Pauls Bay, MT

Mick after some hassle I have the demo version of PM working, do you use Win 64 bit by any chance? PM faqs say PM is for Win 32 bit, I assume that it will still work in the way that NX2 does where that too is for Win 32b bit.
Yet another very steep learning curve now.

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Sun 31-Jul-11 01:20 PM
#7. "RE: Capture NX2 keywords"
In response to Reply # 6
Mon 01-Aug-11 03:21 AM by mklass

Tacoma, US

Yes, I run Win Vista 64 bit. PM runs as a 32 bit application with no problems.

I think you will find that the PM learning curve is not so steep. It is pretty intuitive. Some of the more powerful features just take a little time.

Mick
www.mickklassphoto.com

expat Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Mar 2010Sun 31-Jul-11 01:52 PM
#8. "RE: Capture NX2 keywords"
In response to Reply # 7

Qawra St Pauls Bay, MT

Thanks Mick

expat Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Mar 2010Wed 03-Aug-11 01:33 PM
#9. "RE: Capture NX2 keywords"
In response to Reply # 8

Qawra St Pauls Bay, MT

Mick sorry to bother you again would you mind a stupid question?
I downloaded the trial of PM but cannot see how to search for keywords in TIFFs, searching for keywords only finds jpegs, is that normal or perhaps just the trial version?
Thanks

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Wed 03-Aug-11 02:06 PM
#10. "RE: Capture NX2 keywords"
In response to Reply # 9

Tacoma, US

I don't think the trial version has any limitations, so you should be able to do it.

I just tried it and it searches any image based on whether your have "Selected photos" or "All photos" picked in the Find (or Find and Replace) Dialog after "In:" (2nd line). also be sure you have checked IPTC data and Keywords.

If you are having any more difficulty, post a note in the Camera Bits forums. They have great support. It's a good chance to try it out.

Mick
www.mickklassphoto.com

expat Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Mar 2010Wed 03-Aug-11 02:16 PM
#11. "RE: Capture NX2 keywords"
In response to Reply # 10

Qawra St Pauls Bay, MT

Thanks for instant reply, will post there.

expat Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Mar 2010Sat 06-Aug-11 08:10 AM
#12. "RE: Capture NX2 keywords"
In response to Reply # 11

Qawra St Pauls Bay, MT

Hello again Mick nice to see a friendly face in my post at PM bits.
Strangely we have not found my problem, while I can embed keywords in a new NX2 Tif OK in the PM demo I still cannot see keywords in my old stored TIFs from NX2 (in the demo)
Seems very expensive for my needs under those circumstances, especially as when its working properly NX2 has a very easy IPTC/XMP system especially for presets. NX2 also has most other little extras like coloured tags etc and upgrades are free.
Would still like to have PM when i get over the hurdle as I find the browser nice to use and fast to open.
I think the answer must be in the way I have processed my NEF/Tif until recently in NX2.
I intend taking a brand new RAW today, putting keywords into it from NX2 and producing a tif from the master before opening in PM, ie to start from the beginning

I looked at IMatch,cheap, nice catalogue but no direct input for single keywords, I dont want to spend all that time producing catorgories etc. They basically indicate that keywords are old fashioned.

expat Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Mar 2010Sat 06-Aug-11 08:45 AM
#13. "RE: Capture NX2 keywords"
In response to Reply # 12

Qawra St Pauls Bay, MT

ps, think I have the answer, some of my original NEF did not have the keywords in their properties.
Therefore the TIFs derived from them (although these TIFs do have keywords in them)do not appear in the IPTC/XMP of PM.
All future images should be OK provided I enter keywords into the NEF in the first place either in NX2 or PM.
That just leaves the problem of whether or not I can modify my original NEFs at this stage big job or not.
Will try copy & paste backwards from the TIF to the repective NEF.

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Sat 06-Aug-11 03:50 PM
#14. "RE: Capture NX2 keywords"
In response to Reply # 13

Tacoma, US

Avif,

While PM is an added cost. I think once you use it, you will find it really speeds up and improves your workflow. It is designed to be a fast file manager/browser,and the IPTC, tagging and color rating capabilities are far superior to CNX. CNX is really a raw converter/editor with file management capabilities grafted on. And when a few preferences are set properly in both apps, they work very well together.

I use CNX for editing NEF's, creating JPGs and TIFs, and printing. PM does almost all of my other management chores (copying, renaming, uploading, resizing), and is also the base from which I open images in other programs for specialty work that I can't do in CNX (SilverEfex, Perfect Resize, Noiseware, etc).

PM does give you free upgrades to all of the updates in the same major version number (currently V4.x.x), and I believe that they will give you a free or low cost update to the next major version (5.x.x), depending on when you purchased your current version.

And the support is unbeatable.

I wouldn't give up on it so easily.

Mick
www.mickklassphoto.com

expat Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Mar 2010Sat 13-Aug-11 08:20 AM
#15. "RE: Capture NX2 keywords"
In response to Reply # 14

Qawra St Pauls Bay, MT

I will be buying PM but expensive for a single hobbyist non commercial user.
As a matter of interest for non USA persons (Me) I have checked about Nikonians discount and it is indeed available at 10% making price $135 BUT carriage for the CD is $25 to Europe so not much point bothering as it would actually cheaper at $150 to download in the first place without discount.
There is some sort of way which I dont completely understand of downloading to disk with the discount but that means putting all details, card number etc into an email which doesnt sound a good idea. I may have missed the point somewhere but thats how I read things.

photomy Registered since 25th Nov 2008Sat 03-Sep-11 07:33 PM
13 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: Capture NX2 keywords"
In response to Reply # 0

Kansas City, US

Delete all of the keywords from all of the various places within all files first. This may not be easy, but it can be done by selecting multiple files.

Once keywords are cleared out of the files then you can modify application.cfg and problem should be fixed. But, if you missed one and that file is opened, the keywords will be copied back to application.cfg. At least this is what appears to happen.

I recommend finding another way to populate files with keywords rather than CNX2.

expat Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Mar 2010Sat 03-Sep-11 09:19 PM
#17. "RE: Capture NX2 keywords"
In response to Reply # 16

Qawra St Pauls Bay, MT

Have bought PM although its a bit over the top really for a simple hobbyist especialy as Capture NX2 has the Keyword facility built in.
Nikon eventually gave up on the Keywords. I feel sure I am not the only one to present them with the problem - well there are many others with the anomaly on the web. I think Nikon are very helpful up to a point but then they either dont know the answer or do know but pretend its something they havent met up with before & at that point they drop you like a hot brick. Of course when a new version comes out it is usually just to cover new camera models and not already known about failures.

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #6709 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.