Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #6635
View in linear mode

Subject: "Capture NX2 and Lion (Mac OS 10.7)" Previous topic | Next topic
Curtisj2 Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Wed 13-Jul-11 01:16 PM
207 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
"Capture NX2 and Lion (Mac OS 10.7)"

Minneapolis, US

Officially Capture NX2 is not yet supported by Nikon but I found the following on Flickr from someone who has tested it with the Golden Master of Lion. This is what was said...

cobrapilot says:

"This past weekend I tested Capture NX2 and OS X Lion thoroughly, but not scientifically. I attempted every edit/adjustment I knew and documented each change so that I could recreate a failing event. I tried to work a variety of images and to perform realistic adjustments. I also adding more adjustments (12-15) than the four or five I normally use -- just to see if CNX was stable. After adjustments I saved the NEF and also “save as” a jpeg and/or a tiff. After saving I would reopen the NEF file to see if CNX could replay the changes. In six hours and 51 images CNX crashed ONE time and froze twice. I could not recreate the crash or the freezing. This was much better than my first test and I cannot explain why it seemed so well behaved. But be warned. If your business depends on CNX and you have no alternative editing software I would not recommend upgrading to OS X Lion immediately."

I intend to test NX2 on one of my two computers when Lion is released and will report back here what I find out. I am hoping other Nikonians do the same.

Curtis

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Capture NX2 and Lion (Mac OS 10.7)
Asgard Administrator
13th Jul 2011
JonK Moderator
14th Jul 2011
shardul10
23rd Jul 2011
harleyrobbie
10th Aug 2011
JonK Moderator
10th Aug 2011
harleyrobbie
11th Aug 2011
mhofman Silver Member
02nd Dec 2011
mhofman Silver Member
02nd Dec 2011
nwcs Silver Member
02nd Dec 2011
mhofman Silver Member
03rd Dec 2011
nwcs Silver Member
05th Dec 2011
TiggerGTO Silver Member
05th Dec 2011
Freewheeler10
10th Aug 2011
Chuckster902 Silver Member
14th Aug 2011
Kirk Baker Gold Member
15th Aug 2011
JonK Moderator
15th Aug 2011
chuckcars
15th Aug 2011
TiggerGTO Silver Member
05th Dec 2011
TiggerGTO Silver Member
07th Dec 2011
nwcs Silver Member
07th Dec 2011
TiggerGTO Silver Member
09th Dec 2011
nwcs Silver Member
20th Dec 2011

Asgard Administrator He is your Chief Guardian Angel at the Helpdesk and knows a lot about a lot Nikonian since 07th Apr 2004Wed 13-Jul-11 08:33 PM
51190 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Capture NX2 and Lion (Mac OS 10.7)"
In response to Reply # 0

East Frisia, DE

It is always good to wait a few days before updating

Gerold - Nikonian in East Frisia
Eala Freya Fresena

JonK Moderator Awarded for his high level skills and in-depth knowledge in various areas, such as Wildlife, Landscape and Stage Photography Nikonian since 03rd Jul 2004Thu 14-Jul-11 02:31 AM
4700 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Capture NX2 and Lion (Mac OS 10.7)"
In response to Reply # 0

New York, US

On a related note, Nik has announced that filters already installed prior to upgrade to Lion will function fine. But after a Lion upgrade, Nik installs to Photoshop will not work. Updates to the various Nik installers will be available beginning later this month.

Jon Kandel
A New York City Nikonian and Team Member
Please visit my website and critique the images!

shardul10 Registered since 27th Apr 2009Sat 23-Jul-11 06:03 PM
5 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Capture NX2 and Lion (Mac OS 10.7)"
In response to Reply # 0

Pune, IN

I have Capture NX2, View NX2, Color Efex Pro and HDR Efex Pro -- all used to work fine (after some initial hiccups) on OS X 10.6.7 (Macboook Pro 13) and continue to work fine even after upgrading to OS X 10.7 (Lion).

Thought this might be useful...

harleyrobbie Registered since 03rd Sep 2007Wed 10-Aug-11 03:23 AM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Capture NX2 and Lion (Mac OS 10.7)"
In response to Reply # 3

San Jacinto, US

Just got a new iMAC 27" with lion os 10.7 tried installing NX2 from a cd it is the upgrade version I get message stating powerpc applications not supported in lion os nikon says they are testing it and said watch there site for updates

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

JonK Moderator Awarded for his high level skills and in-depth knowledge in various areas, such as Wildlife, Landscape and Stage Photography Nikonian since 03rd Jul 2004Wed 10-Aug-11 11:13 AM
4700 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Capture NX2 and Lion (Mac OS 10.7)"
In response to Reply # 4

New York, US

If you download the latest version from Nikon and install it, you should be fine.

Jon Kandel

harleyrobbie Registered since 03rd Sep 2007Thu 11-Aug-11 02:14 AM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Capture NX2 and Lion (Mac OS 10.7)"
In response to Reply # 5

San Jacinto, US

Thank you Jon I will try that

mhofman Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Jun 2006Fri 02-Dec-11 02:51 PM
259 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: Capture NX2 and Lion (Mac OS 10.7)"
In response to Reply # 5

Rotterdam e.o., NL

Hi,

I just have the same problem. Bought a new Mac with OS X Lion and get the message about PowerPC applications no longer being supported.

I'm from Holland and the last full NX2 version I could find on www.nikon.nl was 2.2.6. After downloading this version, the same error message appears.

Can anyone please advise where I can find a version of NX2 that I can install on Mac OS X Lion?

Your help will really be appreciated since I have a NEF-centric workflow mainly based on Capture NX2

Regards, Marco

mhofman Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Jun 2006Fri 02-Dec-11 03:02 PM
259 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: Capture NX2 and Lion (Mac OS 10.7)"
In response to Reply # 12

Rotterdam e.o., NL

Hi,

I just had a chat-session with Nikon support-team in the Netherlands. They state that it is not possible to use Capture NX2 on Mac OS X Lion and that they are working on an update. They can't give a timeline when this will be available

Regards, Marco

nwcs Silver Member Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Landscape and Wildlife Photography Nikonian since 15th Jan 2006Fri 02-Dec-11 05:58 PM
6821 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: Capture NX2 and Lion (Mac OS 10.7)"
In response to Reply # 13

Knoxville, US

That is incorrect. I'm using NX2 2.2.8 on 10.7.2 without any significant problems. That support person is just spouting back the party line that it's not officially supported.

As for updates... I won't open up that can of hurt. Suffice to say that Nikon doesn't appear to make updating NX2 a priority.

mhofman Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Jun 2006Sat 03-Dec-11 06:22 AM
#15. "RE: Capture NX2 and Lion (Mac OS 10.7)"
In response to Reply # 14

Rotterdam e.o., NL

Hi Neil,

I just have downloaded a 2.2.8 update version from www.nikon.nl. This is file "S-CNX2__-228MU-___NL-32BIT_.dmg". What I already expected is that it will not install because there is no version of Capture NX2 installed on the system. I tried to put the original NX2-update-cd in the drive but that didn't help either.

Please note that I have a new, empty, Mac with OS X Lion (10.7.2) and try to get NX2 on that system. So no updates from older versions that were already on the computer.

Do you now where I can find a (full) version of Capture NX2 that I can install under this operating system and get it to work? I have license keys for full version of NX and for the NX2 update.

Your help is really appreciated since Capture NX2 is the heart of my workflow.

Kind regards, Marco

nwcs Silver Member Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Landscape and Wildlife Photography Nikonian since 15th Jan 2006Mon 05-Dec-11 04:19 PM
6821 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#17. "RE: Capture NX2 and Lion (Mac OS 10.7)"
In response to Reply # 15

Knoxville, US

Ahh. That's because the 2.2.8 is an update that requires a base version. You need to install 2.2.6 first which is the baseline version then run 2.2.8. Don't ask me why Nikon does it this way but they do...

TiggerGTO Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Feb 2006Mon 05-Dec-11 06:31 PM
2258 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#18. "RE: Capture NX2 and Lion (Mac OS 10.7)"
In response to Reply # 15

Apex, US

As Neil says, you have to install 2.2.6 first. That version was the last full package that Nikon released.

Is your license key a NX2-only key, or did you buy an upgrade from Capture NX? My NX2 key is an upgrade from NX. When I install 2.2.6 on my new MBP, it asks me for my NX2 key which it appears to accept. Then it asks me for my NX key which it tells me is invalid. As I said in my earlier post at the bottom of this thread, I think the people who are currently running on Lion, got there one of two ways. Either they had NX2 installed (at least 2.2.6) before upgrading the OS to Lion, or they have an NX2 license that was not upgraded from Capture NX.

If you bought NX2 directly (i.e. did not upgrade from NX), try installing 2.2.6 and then install 2.2.8 on top of that. If it works, please let me know. If your NX2 was upgraded from NX, I think you are in the same boat as me which means you are out of luck until Nikon (or maybe somebody nice at Nik) does something to fix this problem.

Danny
A Nikonian in North Carolina

Freewheeler10 Registered since 17th Apr 2008Wed 10-Aug-11 01:00 PM
1105 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Capture NX2 and Lion (Mac OS 10.7)"
In response to Reply # 4

Englewood, US

Lion does not support Rosetta, therefore no apps written for Power PC chips. The
latest versions were written for Intel chipsets and work properly on some
systems. Nikon says CNX2 is not compatible with Lion, but many of us are running
it with no issues.

___Gary

http://gallery.me.com/freewheeler
http://freewheeler10.blogspot.com/

Chuckster902 Silver Member Nikonian since 11th Nov 2005Sun 14-Aug-11 02:05 AM
99 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Capture NX2 and Lion (Mac OS 10.7)"
In response to Reply # 6

Scotia, US

Capture NX2 and Photo Mechanic are running fine under Mac OS 10.7. No problems so far.

Chuck S.

"Life is Messy."

Kirk Baker Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Feb 2009Mon 15-Aug-11 02:11 AM
37 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Capture NX2 and Lion (Mac OS 10.7)"
In response to Reply # 8

US

>Capture NX2 and Photo Mechanic are running fine under Mac OS
>10.7. No problems so far.

Unless you're running version 4.6.8 (currently in beta) you will definitely run into issues when running Photo Mechanic on Mac OS X 10.7 (Lion). The Slide Show and Live Slide Show will definitely crash 100% of the time when invoked. There are some issues when quitting, and sometimes with launching.

Version 4.6.8 addresses all of these issues. You can read more about it and download it here:

http://forums.camerabits.com/index.php?topic=6514.0

Kind regards,

-Kirk

Kirk A. Baker
Senior Software Engineer
Camera Bits, Inc.

JonK Moderator Awarded for his high level skills and in-depth knowledge in various areas, such as Wildlife, Landscape and Stage Photography Nikonian since 03rd Jul 2004Mon 15-Aug-11 03:02 AM
#10. "RE: Capture NX2 and Lion (Mac OS 10.7)"
In response to Reply # 9

New York, US

Interesting, Kirk. I've been running with no problems (I don't use the Slide Shows) for a month.

But of course I'll download 4.6.8.

Jon Kandel

chuckcars Registered since 22nd Mar 2010Mon 15-Aug-11 12:39 PM
383 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Capture NX2 and Lion (Mac OS 10.7)"
In response to Reply # 10

Montrose, US

Have had no issues running Lion relative to CNX2. Had to reinstall an Epson Printer, thats it.

Best,

Chuck

http://carstensenphoto.com

A Nikon owner since 1955

TiggerGTO Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Feb 2006Mon 05-Dec-11 12:44 PM
2258 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: Capture NX2 and Lion (Mac OS 10.7)"
In response to Reply # 0

Apex, US

This thread contains a mixed bag of results for running NX2 on Mac OS 10.7 Lion. I recently got my first MacBook Pro and I am having problems installing NX2 on it. I believe I understand the problem, but not how to fix it.

First of all, the last complete install package that Nikon released was 2.2.6. 2.2.8 is only an update package and requires Capture NX2 to already be installed on your system. If you are starting from scratch on either Windows or Mac, you must first install 2.2.6 and then apply the 2.2.8 update.

I started by installing 2.2.6. The installation process works fine; however, I experience problems when I try to enter my license keys. My NX2 license is an upgraded license from NX. When I enter my NX2 license key, I am then prompted for my NX license key. Unfortunately, the software thinks that my NX license key is invalid. I submitted a question to "Ask Nikon" and have only gotten an automated response so far. On Saturday, I called Nikon. The support person immediately told me that NX2 is not supported on Lion.

Obviously from the other reports here, NX2 will work on Lion if you can get it installed. I believe the people who have it working are the ones that had a version of NX2 installed on their Mac before upgrading the OS to Lion. In this case they are able to run it properly. If you are starting on a clean Lion system and do not have NX2 installed, you are currently out of luck. It's also possible that if you have a non-upgraded NX2 license key that the install will work fine on Lion. Unfortunately, I don't have a non-upgraded key to try.

Without knowing all the details, I suspect that this would not be a difficult problem for a typical software company to fix. The most obvious fix, assuming that a non-upgraded NX2 key works is to issue new keys to people experiencing problems with upgraded license keys. The next most obvious fix is to release a new full package to install the latest version in one step with the NX key validation fixed.

Unfortunately, when it comes to software, Nikon has proven to me multiple times that they aren't anywhere close to being a typical software company. I hope that they will resolve the issue quickly, but I fear it may be a while.

Danny

TiggerGTO Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Feb 2006Wed 07-Dec-11 12:49 PM
#19. "RE: Capture NX2 and Lion (Mac OS 10.7)"
In response to Reply # 16

Apex, US

Unfortunately, Nikon's software service never ceases to amaze me. Nikon's response to my Mac install problem was to ask me for copies of the sales receipts for both Capture NX and NX2.

Seriously??? How many of you can actually produce receipts for software that you bought over 4 years ago? I'm sure some of you can, but I'd bet a large number of you can't.

I responded with screen shots of my serial numbers and dates in "My Camera Bag" on Nikon's web site, which show that my serial numbers for Capture and NX were entered in August, 2007 and NX2 was entered in June, 2008.

I hope that Nikon's software service amazes me at least one more time by NOT refusing to help me with this issue because I can't produce receipts.

Danny

nwcs Silver Member Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Landscape and Wildlife Photography Nikonian since 15th Jan 2006Wed 07-Dec-11 10:15 PM
#20. "RE: Capture NX2 and Lion (Mac OS 10.7)"
In response to Reply # 19

Knoxville, US

Yeah, I've heard of them making what I think are unreasonable demands when the last licensing problem cropped up. When people hit that magic number of activations they just disabled the software. Nikon has a pretty heavy handed approach at times. I hope I don't have to deal with this. I bought NX originally directly from them and NX2 from amazon. If there is ever a NX3 I have to wonder if it would be safer to buy from Adobe directly or if they'll still give us grief...

TiggerGTO Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Feb 2006Fri 09-Dec-11 04:32 PM
#21. "RE: Capture NX2 and Lion (Mac OS 10.7)"
In response to Reply # 20

Apex, US

I think you made a Freudian slip there: "...buy from Adobe directly...."

Anyways, I got a response from Nikon support:

I can see this information from this side, however we still need a copy of the receipt for the NX1 software, screen shot of the error message and operating system to be used.

I blew my stack and sent a response reiterating the information I had already sent and leaving no doubt that I thought the guy was an idiot and told them it was ridiculous for them to expect me to produce a receipt from over 4 years ago. For example I said, "Did you read my previous response?... Hint: I stated that I am running on a new MacBook Pro with Mac OS 10.7 (Lion)." and "Did you see my screen capture?... Hint: the problem is the error dialog in the upper right."

I also said that if they were going to refuse service because I can't produce a receipt then I wanted the issue forwarded to his manager or somebody with the authority to properly address this issue.

Today, I received a new full NX2 license key, and the response was from a different person.

If Capture NX3 ever becomes a reality, I really hope that somehow service can be provided by Nik. They are a real software company and actually know how to handle support for a software product. Every time I have contacted Nik, I have gotten positive results. Every time I have contacted Nikon for software related issues, I end up with knots on my forehead from banging my head on the desk.

Danny

nwcs Silver Member Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Landscape and Wildlife Photography Nikonian since 15th Jan 2006Tue 20-Dec-11 09:36 PM
#22. "RE: Capture NX2 and Lion (Mac OS 10.7)"
In response to Reply # 21

Knoxville, US

In light of the 2.3 release today this whole saga seems even more silly.

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #6635 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.