nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Print Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #6613
View in linear mode

Subject: "Do I need Capture NX 2?" Previous topic | Next topic
dslater Silver Member Charter MemberTue 12-Jul-11 01:24 PM
229 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Do I need Capture NX 2?"

Hollis, US

If I already have Photoshop CS5, is there any reason for me to get Capture NX 2 as well? If so, what can I do with NX2 that I can't do with CS5?

Thanks

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Print | Reply | Quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Do I need Capture NX 2?
mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
12th Jul 2011
dslater Silver Member
12th Jul 2011
mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
12th Jul 2011
dslater Silver Member
12th Jul 2011
12th Jul 2011
dslater Silver Member
12th Jul 2011
ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community
12th Jul 2011
chuckcars
13th Jul 2011
gkaiseril Gold Member
12th Aug 2011
GroovyGeek
12th Aug 2011
PAStime Silver Member
13th Aug 2011
fisherd80fun Silver Member
13th Aug 2011
walkerr Administrator Awarded for his con tributed articles published at the Resources Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in multiple areas Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
13th Aug 2011
fisherd80fun Silver Member
14th Aug 2011

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Tue 12-Jul-11 01:46 PM
6307 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Do I need Capture NX 2?"
In response to Reply # 0

Tacoma, US

You can access all of the native RAW editing options available in Nikon's NEF file format.
You get the exact NEF image rendering that Nikon intended for your camera.
You can use U-Point technology natively to selectively edit images.
You can do non-destructive editing on NEF files.

In my opinion, you can edit Nikon raw images more easily and faster.

Whether those features are useful to you to justify acquiring the software is purely a personal decision.

Mick
www.mickklassphoto.com

dslater Silver Member Charter MemberTue 12-Jul-11 02:07 PM
229 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Do I need Capture NX 2?"
In response to Reply # 1

Hollis, US

>You can access all of the native RAW editing options
>available in Nikon's NEF file format.

Any idea which editing options are available in NX that are not available in Adobe Camera Raw?

>You get the exact NEF image rendering that Nikon intended for
>your camera.

I generally like to do available light photography with fast lenses and high ISOs. Would you say that NX's raw converter has any advantages over camera raw for these types of images?

>You can use U-Point technology natively to selectively edit
>images.

Hmm - what is this? This the first I've heard of it.

>You can do non-destructive editing on NEF files.
>

I believe Camera Raw is non-destructive as well. When I edit a .nef in camera raw, it creates a .xmp file alongside the .nef file.

>In my opinion, you can edit Nikon raw images more easily and
>faster.

Interesting - my only experience with NX is with version 1 that came with my camera. I found that version 1 crashed a lot and had a lot of bugs in general. Is version 2 better in this respect? The primary reason I'm looking into this is when I moved to a new computer, I lost my original NX software - can't find the original CD or license key.

>
>Whether those features are useful to you to justify acquiring
>the software is purely a personal decision.
>
>Mick
>www.mickklassphoto.com

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Tue 12-Jul-11 02:26 PM
6307 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Do I need Capture NX 2?"
In response to Reply # 2

Tacoma, US

Well, a few of the raw features are Active D-Lighting, white balance presets that match your camera, picture controls that match your camera, lens distortion control for Nikon lenses.

You can probably accomplish the same results in other software, it is a question of how much effort it takes to do so.

U-Point lets you make selective edits by simply placing a control point in the desired area of the image then apply a wide variety of adjustments.

CNX stores all of the edits in the NEF file. No sidecars are used so everything is always in one place should you move the file in a normal file manager.

CNX2 is certainly better than earlier versions. There are some that have trouble with it on their systems, there are some that don't. In my case, I have more trouble with CS4 crashing than I do with CNX2. It could be the plug-in I have for Photoshop.

Mick
www.mickklassphoto.com

dslater Silver Member Charter MemberTue 12-Jul-11 02:37 PM
#4. "RE: Do I need Capture NX 2?"
In response to Reply # 3

Hollis, US

>Well, a few of the raw features are Active D-Lighting, white
>balance presets that match your camera, picture controls that
>match your camera, lens distortion control for Nikon lenses.
>
>You can probably accomplish the same results in other
>software, it is a question of how much effort it takes to do
>so.
>
>U-Point lets you make selective edits by simply placing a
>control point in the desired area of the image then apply a
>wide variety of adjustments.
>
>CNX stores all of the edits in the NEF file. No sidecars are
>used so everything is always in one place should you move the
>file in a normal file manager.
>
>CNX2 is certainly better than earlier versions. There are some
>that have trouble with it on their systems, there are some
>that don't. In my case, I have more trouble with CS4 crashing
>than I do with CNX2. It could be the plug-in I have for
>Photoshop.
>
>Mick
>www.mickklassphoto.com

Thanks for your reply Mick. One thing I had noticed with Camera Raw is the WB presets do seem slightly different from my camera presets. For example, if my camera's WB is set to daylight, then the "As Shot" setting in Camera Raw is slightly cooler than the daylight setting.

Is the lens distortion control something that is new with NX2? I do not recall having that in version 1. How extensive is the library of presets? Many of my lenses are older MF lenses that are hard to find presets for. For example, my 20mm f/3.5-UD is a non-AI lens that has been AI'd. It's old enough to be labeled Nippon-Kogaku instead of Nikkor.

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Tue 12-Jul-11 02:45 PM
#5. "RE: Do I need Capture NX 2?"
In response to Reply # 4
Tue 12-Jul-11 02:51 PM by mklass

Tacoma, US

I don't know if there is a comprehensive list available of which lenses CNX will correct for distortion. I know most of the newer Nikon lenses seem to be included. Also it will "de-fish" Nikon fisheye lenses, but I think the old version did that too.

Why don't you try the 60-day free trial? http://support.nikonusa.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/61#Anchor-2

Mick
www.mickklassphoto.com

dslater Silver Member Charter MemberTue 12-Jul-11 03:19 PM
#6. "RE: Do I need Capture NX 2?"
In response to Reply # 5

Hollis, US

lol - good point - I'd forgotten they had a trial version.

Thanks

Dan

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Tue 12-Jul-11 08:57 PM
8998 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Do I need Capture NX 2?"
In response to Reply # 6

Atlanta, US

Dan

I think the biggest issue with Capture NX2 is the front end learning curve. It's relatively intuitive, but different than Adobe based workflows.

Our Atlanta chapter did a side by side comparison of Lightroom and Capture. In terms of the result, you could get great results with either if you are truly expert in the software. For a pro, the learning curve investment can be an issue, but edits can be faster.

If you are using any of the Nik products, you'll find there is a lot of similarity to Capture NX2 and will have an easy learning curve. The use of control points and selection controls are very similar.

There are some good tutorials on Capture from Nikon. The basic organization has camera settings in the Develop section on the top right. The Nikon programs directly interpret and use in camera settings - and you can change them at will in post processing. The "Develop" section edits can be a little coarse and are applied globally instead of selectively.

The Adjust section contains most of the editing steps. The big plus is you can apply these edits globally or to a selection. You can also vary the strength of an edit with Opacity.

A big plus is that Capture can save multiple versions of the same image without saving multiple copies. As long as you save the image as a NEF, all edits can be reversed - even if the image was a TIFF or JPEG originally.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

chuckcars Registered since 22nd Mar 2010Wed 13-Jul-11 02:27 PM
383 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Do I need Capture NX 2?"
In response to Reply # 7

Montrose, US

NX2 has the best Unsharp Mask adjustment of all. The U-point technology is fantastic. Nik and Nikon joining forces is excellent. Photoshop has perspective control. That is the only reason I go to Photoshop. Aperture and NX2 are a perfect combination.

Best,

Chuck

http://carstensenphoto.com

A Nikon owner since 1955

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Fri 12-Aug-11 03:45 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Do I need Capture NX 2?"
In response to Reply # 4
Fri 12-Aug-11 03:46 PM by gkaiseril

Chicago, US

> One thing I had noticed with Camera Raw is the WB presets do seem slightly different from my camera presets. For example, if my camera's WB is set to daylight, then the "As Shot" setting in Camera Raw is slightly cooler than the daylight setting.

This appears to be from the fact that the common EXIF data includes data fields for White Balance values (Exif Tag Names) with standardized values, and Nikon MakersNote has a number of White Balance (Nikon MakerNote tags) related that use a different set of values and records additional information not recorded in the standard EXIF White Balance. Nikon software uses the values as recorded in the MakerNote section while other programs only access the standard EXIF tags.

Nikon Tags:
0x0005 WhiteBalance string
0x000b WhiteBalanceFineTune int16s
0x000c WB_RBLevels rational64u<4>
0x008c ContrastCurve undef!
0x008d ColorHue string
0x0090 LightSource string
0x0092 HueAdjustment int16s
0x0094 Saturation int16s
0x0097 ColorBalance0100 --> Nikon ColorBalance1 Tags
ColorBalance0102 --> Nikon ColorBalance2 Tags
ColorBalance0103 --> Nikon ColorBalance3 Tags
ColorBalance0205 --> Nikon ColorBalance2 Tags
ColorBalance0209 --> Nikon ColorBalance4 Tags
ColorBalance02 --> Nikon ColorBalance 2 Tags
ColorBalanceUnknown N
0x00aa Saturation string
0x00b3 ToningEffect string
0x00bd PictureControlData undef --> Nikon PictureControl Tags

0x0014 ColorBalanceA --> Nikon ColorBalanceA Tags
large unknown block in NRW images, not copied to JPEG images)

Note some of the above tags refer to additional tags and values.

I suspect that some of these in camera tags are combined into the values displayed or modified by Capture NX 2 and other Nikon image editing products.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

GroovyGeek Registered since 17th Jul 2011Fri 12-Aug-11 05:46 AM
84 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Do I need Capture NX 2?"
In response to Reply # 0

Portland, US

>If I already have Photoshop CS5, is there any reason for me
>to get Capture NX 2 as well? If so, what can I do with NX2
>that I can't do with CS5?

There is absolutely nothing you can do with any image manipulation package that you cannot accomplish with CS5. And then there are many things you can only do with CS5. Having said that, I hate PS. Nothing is intuitive, and it takes tons of layers and layer masks to accompish pretty much anything of substance. Undoing many of the edits at a later time is non-trivial either, unless you can use smart objects. The end result is gigantic files that for me at least are difficult to alter after the fact unless you start from scratch.

In contrast, I find NX2 completely intuitive, albeit with a clunky interface. Anything is undoable at any time, and the control points accomplish the same thing as the PS layers without the 20 MB overhead per layer. On the downside, it is slow, batch processing is a nightmare, and it is temperamental, i.e., it can crash with no warning.

On the whole NX2 is much better for me than LR and PS. I rarely process more than 10 images per day. However, if I was an event shooter I would not touch NX2 with a 10-foot pole.

PAStime Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Feb 2009Sat 13-Aug-11 03:17 AM
2670 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Do I need Capture NX 2?"
In response to Reply # 9

Kingston, CA

>However, if I was
>an event shooter I would not touch NX2 with a 10-foot pole.

I am not a pro, don't make a living from photography, and am not an event shooter. Two weekends ago I did however shoot 1000 images as a volunteer photographer at a Triathlon and processed everything with Capture NX2 (and Photo Mechanic). I have been using NX2 for 2.5 years and like it a lot. It went reasonably quickly with the 600 images I kept. I made all exposure, curve, selective tweaks, crop, straighten, sharpness adjustments with NX2 and used batch mode to convert to JPGs. I recently got a new computer with Windows 7 and two very fast hard drives (one for programs and one for data) and NX2 is quite snappy now.

Just wanted to share this data point.

Cheers,
Peter

fisherd80fun Silver Member Nikonian since 23rd May 2009Sat 13-Aug-11 03:02 PM
500 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: Do I need Capture NX 2?"
In response to Reply # 0

Essex, US

I have had NX2 for about 2 years. I initially used it a lot, and then moved to LR and CS5. I have moved back to using it more for many of the reasons stated above - U point technology is awesome (I have NIK software and use it there too), the edits are faster, the edits are easy to undo and/or revert to original, and it keeps the file size down. It is temperamental though, and does sometimes crash on me, or not let me save a file, for no apparent reason.

One other great use though is if you move to IR photography. For some Nikon cameras converted to IR, NX2 is the only way to set the right white balance. For IR, I cannot set the right WB for my converted D60 in LR or CS5....only NX2 works.

walkerr Administrator Awarded for his con tributed articles published at the Resources Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in multiple areas Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 05th May 2002Sat 13-Aug-11 03:14 PM
15007 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: Do I need Capture NX 2?"
In response to Reply # 12
Sat 13-Aug-11 03:15 PM by walkerr

Colorado Springs, US

By creating a custom profile via the Adobe DNG Color Profile Editor, you can "expand" the white balance range beyond the standard amount and handle IR images just fine. My D300 has been converted to IR, and I created a custom color profile for it that "centers" a daylight IR white balance to 5000k with 0 tint. It took me less than a minute to do it, and the instructions are found on the website where you download the DNG Color Profile Editor.

Rick Walker

My photos:

GeoVista Photography

fisherd80fun Silver Member Nikonian since 23rd May 2009Sun 14-Aug-11 12:53 PM
500 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: Do I need Capture NX 2?"
In response to Reply # 13

Essex, US

Thanks....Didn't know that. Will give it a try!

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #6613 Previous topic | Next topic