Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #6565
View in linear mode

Subject: "Yellow cast on NX2 final photo on Epson 1800 vs monitor" Previous topic | Next topic
bmw1200rt Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Apr 2009Thu 30-Jun-11 09:33 PM
17 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Yellow cast on NX2 final photo on Epson 1800 vs monitor"

Union, US

After I feel I tweak all the adjustments before printing and now think I have a good photograph to print, when I print on my Epson 1800 the color is way too yellow. I am then forced to make additional changes in the color balance making the monitor picture too blue or red to offset the yellow cast from the printer. What can I do to correct the printing process? Will I have this problem with Photoshop CS5 just purchased?

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Yellow cast on NX2 final photo on Epson 1800 vs mon...
dgs2 Silver Member
30th Jun 2011
bmw1200rt Silver Member
01st Jul 2011
dgs2 Silver Member
02nd Jul 2011
bmw1200rt Silver Member
05th Jul 2011
elec164 Silver Member
02nd Jul 2011
mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing.
05th Jul 2011

dgs2 Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Sep 2004Thu 30-Jun-11 11:09 PM
711 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Yellow cast on NX2 final photo on Epson 1800 vs monitor"
In response to Reply # 0

San Francisco, US

Some questions:
1. Do you have your monitor calibrated?
2. Do you have an ICC Profile for the printer?
3. What color spaces are you shooting and working in?

dgs

bmw1200rt Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Apr 2009Fri 01-Jul-11 04:39 PM
17 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Yellow cast on NX2 final photo on Epson 1800 vs monitor"
In response to Reply # 1

Union, US

Thank you for answering my question. The monitor is calibrated with Datacolor Spyder 3 Pro. I do not know about the ICC Profile for the printer? What is that? RGB I believe is the answer for both my camera and monitor.

dgs2 Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Sep 2004Sat 02-Jul-11 07:06 AM
711 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Yellow cast on NX2 final photo on Epson 1800 vs monitor"
In response to Reply # 2

San Francisco, US

There are several RGB color spaces. Actually, RGB is not, technically a color space. There are two common color spaces that contain the letters RGB. One is sRGB, which is common to point and shoot cameras and online print labs. The other is Adobe RGB, which is wider gamut and can be selected in (I think) most or all Nikon DSLRs. I know it is what I use in my D7000.

I think some print manufacturers offer ICC profiles for their printers. Since I don't do much printing at home, I'm not up to speed on that. I print a lot at Çostco and Costco offers ICC profiles for a printer at every Costco store. I'm not well versed enough to explain ICC profiles for printers. I would suggest a website called Dry Creek photo.

Good luck and sorry I could not be of more help.

dgs

bmw1200rt Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Apr 2009Tue 05-Jul-11 04:31 PM
#5. "RE: Yellow cast on NX2 final photo on Epson 1800 vs monitor"
In response to Reply # 3

Union, US

I want to thank you Pete and dgs2 for their comments. With your information I am looking into various avenues to check the ICC for the printer and to work my way through other issues I have. I think Pete is correct when he says two different printing variables will work against each other sometimes creating the color shift.

Thanks again for your comments. Good shooting to you both.

elec164 Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jan 2009Sat 02-Jul-11 03:00 PM
2126 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Yellow cast on NX2 final photo on Epson 1800 vs monitor"
In response to Reply # 2

US

>I do not know about the ICC Profile for the printer? What is that?

ICC profiles are LUT’s (look-up tables) that allow you to simulate the gamut of one device displayed upon another (simulates the gamut of your printer displayed on your monitor). It is used to soft proof the image in and editor such as Photoshop and it allows you to get a sense of what a print would look like.

I believe I have learned here and elsewhere that undesirable colorcasts are generally the fault of double color management (having your editor set to manage the colors without disabling color management in your printer driver.

Hope this helps.

Pete

Pete

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Tue 05-Jul-11 07:25 PM
6167 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Yellow cast on NX2 final photo on Epson 1800 vs monitor"
In response to Reply # 4

Tacoma, US

Hre is a quick & dirty solution that will help, assuming you are letting the printer color manage:

In the Epson printer dialog, set the color space to Adober RGB, then dial down the yellow until you get the print the way you want.

It is better to turn off color management in the printer driver and let your software manage it, but that also depends on the software you are using and having good printer profiles and selecting the right one. If you are using Epson papers that are compatible wiht your printer, you have good color profiles.
Mick

www.mickklassphoto.com

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #6565 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.