Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #6478
View in linear mode

Subject: "Neutral gray background" Previous topic | Next topic
pentwater Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Dec 2003Sun 19-Jun-11 01:44 PM
167 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Neutral gray background"

Jupiter, US

Hi,

I have been using NX2 on and off for a couple of years. I like the color control points and several of the other editing functions, but generally have felt the interface a bit clunky. I've just realized (slow learner!) that something that has always bothered me is that when I load the software on my Mac, it doesn't neutral gray out the background. This means that I have to drag the corner of every open image to get a clean workspace to edit without the distraction of my desktop. Have I missed something simple here?

Thanks!

Bill

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Neutral gray background
JonK Moderator
19th Jun 2011
pentwater Silver Member
19th Jun 2011
crenprit Silver Member
19th Jun 2011
robsb Platinum Member
20th Jun 2011
pentwater Silver Member
20th Jun 2011
mklass Platinum Member
20th Jun 2011
Robp Gold Member
20th Jun 2011
pentwater Silver Member
20th Jun 2011
Netadmin
20th Jun 2011
pentwater Silver Member
20th Jun 2011
Netadmin
20th Jun 2011
Netadmin
21st Jun 2011
Gandalf_22h Silver Member
21st Jun 2011
pentwater Silver Member
21st Jun 2011
Netadmin
21st Jun 2011
21st Jun 2011
Netadmin
21st Jun 2011
20th Jun 2011

JonK Moderator Awarded for his high level skills and in-depth knowledge in various areas, such as Wildlife, Landscape and Stage Photography Nikonian since 03rd Jul 2004Sun 19-Jun-11 04:15 PM
4602 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Neutral gray background"
In response to Reply # 0

New York, US

Command-zero gives you fit to screen; F gives you full screen. Look under the View menu.

Jon Kandel
A New York City Nikonian and Team Member
Please visit my website and critique the images!

pentwater Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Dec 2003Sun 19-Jun-11 08:04 PM
167 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Neutral gray background"
In response to Reply # 1

Jupiter, US

Thanks Jon. I had seen that, but it didn't seem to work easily for me. When I fit to screen, it fits in the longest direction, then leaving a gap in the other direction. When I go to full screen, the image covers the editing list on the right.

Almost all the other software I use, regardless of function, automatically covers the desktop, so this issue stumps me.....!

crenprit Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Oct 2005Sun 19-Jun-11 09:10 PM
30 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Neutral gray background"
In response to Reply # 0

Birmingham, US

>Hi,
>
>I have been using NX2 on and off for a couple of years. I
>like the color control points and several of the other editing
>functions, but generally have felt the interface a bit clunky.
> I've just realized (slow learner!) that something that has
>always bothered me is that when I load the software on my Mac,
>it doesn't neutral gray out the background. This means that I
>have to drag the corner of every open image to get a clean
>workspace to edit without the distraction of my desktop. Have
>I missed something simple here?
>
>Thanks!
>
>Bill

I have the same problem. I feel certain a gray background is available, but have not been able to determine how to make this workspace adjustment. Will be watching this post and hope a solution is posted.

CP

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Mon 20-Jun-11 02:08 AM
12729 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#4. "RE: Neutral gray background"
In response to Reply # 3

San Jose, US

I am not sure how you are using CNX2 as my CNX2 opens with a grey background, and when I open an image it is opened on the grey area. This is the standard configuration. Are you saying the application opens at less than full screen?

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

"Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the
camera"

Retirement is a gift of time - Don't waste it!

pentwater Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Dec 2003Mon 20-Jun-11 01:42 PM
#6. "RE: Neutral gray background"
In response to Reply # 4

Jupiter, US

Thanks. My NX2 opens as a frame on three sides (top and two sides) around an open area in the center that is not greyed out. You therefore, see what ever is open underneath or the desktop itself. This has worked this way from the beginning for me!

Is your installation windows or Mac?

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Mon 20-Jun-11 03:16 PM
5908 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Neutral gray background"
In response to Reply # 6

Tacoma, US

This sounds like a graphics card or driver problem. How old is you computer/card and do you have the latest driver for it?

Mick
www.mickklassphoto.com

Robp Gold Member Nikonian since 23rd Oct 2009Mon 20-Jun-11 02:53 AM
951 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Neutral gray background"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon 20-Jun-11 02:55 AM by Robp

Gainesville, US

Jon's suggestions (Reply #1) work for me on my iMac. If that isn't working correctly for you, perhaps you have saved a workspace at some earlier time that is not starting up as you would like. Select "Window" in the menu at the top of the page, then "Workspaces>Manage Workspaces" and delete anything under "My Workspaces". CNX2 defaults to opening in "My Workspace" if it's defined, so once you get a startup display that you like, save it in "My Workspace". I'm guessing that's what Bob (Reply #4) has done (although Windows may default differently) and that is what I have done also.

Rob Puller
My Nikonians gallery

pentwater Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Dec 2003Mon 20-Jun-11 01:46 PM
#7. "RE: Neutral gray background"
In response to Reply # 5

Jupiter, US

Thanks for the suggestion. I checked the workspace and I had not setup anything custom. I then tried different combinations to see if I could get the grey background... No dice!

Netadmin Registered since 16th Apr 2011Mon 20-Jun-11 04:24 PM
99 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Neutral gray background"
In response to Reply # 7

Fenwick, CA

Are you using one monitor or two?
I'm currently at work and checking this out on a Windows platform, with two displays.
If I go to "Window/Workspaces/Additional Screen/Swap Workspaces"
I then get a similar layout to what I believe you are describing:
where the Folder,Browser,Metadata bars are on the left, the Bird's Eye,Edit List and Photo Info are on the right, the "Control Point, etc. selections" are at the top, with an image in the center and the window's desktop displayed behind it (no gray background)

pentwater Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Dec 2003Mon 20-Jun-11 05:24 PM
#10. "RE: Neutral gray background"
In response to Reply # 9

Jupiter, US

You are describing exactly what I am seeing. But, since I am only using one screen the "Additional Screen" option isn't shown....

As to the graphics card, I will check it out, though I am seeing the same thing on a 2 1/2year old MacBook Pro and an iMac of about the same vintage. The OS is up to date and I am running the latest version of CNX2.

Netadmin Registered since 16th Apr 2011Mon 20-Jun-11 05:44 PM
99 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Neutral gray background"
In response to Reply # 10

Fenwick, CA

.....You are describing exactly what I am seeing. But, since I am only using one screen the "Additional Screen" option isn't shown....

I won't be able to check this on my Mac (one display) until this evening, but I'll let you know if I find anything, or at least if I can duplicate the issue.

Vince

Netadmin Registered since 16th Apr 2011Tue 21-Jun-11 11:11 AM
#13. "RE: Neutral gray background"
In response to Reply # 10
Tue 21-Jun-11 11:13 AM by Netadmin

Fenwick, CA

Had a chance to check out your issue on my iMac (one monitor) last night.

To confirm what Gandalf has stated:

When I open an image in CNX2, I see the image and behind it, I see the Desktop. I can enlarge the image window to its fullest, however still see the desktop behind it.
However, if I go into full-screen mode, by hitting the "F" key, I then get the image displayed on a gray background.
Of course, hitting the "P" key, displays the image in Presentation mode.

Here's a quote from the CNX2 user manual, page 37:

"If Capture NX 2 displays unexpected behavior, the preferences may be damaged. Restoring preferences to their defaults may resolve this issue. To restore the preferences to the default settings, click on the Reset button within the Preferences dialog."

Hope this helps.

Edited to add: Not sure why my post appeared above Gandalf's, but my reference is to his post below mine. Sorry for the confusion

Vince

Gandalf_22h Silver Member Charter MemberTue 21-Jun-11 01:01 PM
996 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: Neutral gray background"
In response to Reply # 13

Runcorn, GB

>Had a chance to check out your issue on my iMac (one monitor)
>last night.
>
>To confirm what Gandalf has stated:
>
>When I open an image in CNX2, I see the image and behind it, I
>see the Desktop. I can enlarge the image window to its
>fullest, however still see the desktop behind it.
>However, if I go into full-screen mode, by hitting the
>"F" key, I then get the image displayed on a gray
>background.
>Of course, hitting the "P" key, displays the image
>in Presentation mode.
>
>Here's a quote from the CNX2 user manual, page 37:
>
>"If Capture NX 2 displays unexpected behavior, the
>preferences may be damaged. Restoring preferences to their
>defaults may resolve this issue. To restore the preferences to
>the default settings, click on the Reset button within the
>Preferences dialog."
>
>Hope this helps.
>
>Edited to add: Not sure why my post appeared above Gandalf's,
>but my reference is to his post below mine. Sorry for the
>confusion
>
>Vince

Vince. Having already tried this I phoned Nikon support they say that 2.2.7 is not officially supported on OS X 10.6.7

I don't find it a problem - I just hit the f key and voila.

I was letting the OP know that there is a workround.

Nikonian from Cheshire UK
per digitus ad astra

pentwater Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Dec 2003Tue 21-Jun-11 01:20 PM
#15. "RE: Neutral gray background"
In response to Reply # 14

Jupiter, US

Gentlemen, thank you all for your help in addressing this issue! I will use the F key as a partial workaround. My only problem with it is that landscape oriented photos tend to sneak under the edit list on the right hand side of the display. I then must resize to see the whole image. Not a big deal but I guess this is one of those little "gnats" one has to get use to!

Again, thanks for all the help!

Bill

Netadmin Registered since 16th Apr 2011Tue 21-Jun-11 02:54 PM
#16. "RE: Neutral gray background"
In response to Reply # 14

Fenwick, CA

Hal:
...."I was letting the OP know that there is a workround"

Yes, I think the order of my post (above yours for whatever reason) might have confused the issue.

I was confirming with the OP that I got the same result he did.

Vince

Gandalf_22h Silver Member Charter MemberTue 21-Jun-11 03:36 PM
996 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#17. "RE: Neutral gray background"
In response to Reply # 16

Runcorn, GB

Cheers Vince - understand now.
Makes me wonder what surprises lie in wait when 10.7 Lion is released in July. Think I'll hold off for a while.

per digitus ad astra

Netadmin Registered since 16th Apr 2011Tue 21-Jun-11 04:47 PM
#18. "RE: Neutral gray background"
In response to Reply # 17
Tue 21-Jun-11 04:51 PM by Netadmin

Fenwick, CA

Cheers back:
I have to say that I've only recently started using Capture NX2 in a practice mode as I'm just learning the software, and although I love my Mac (I'm an old PC guy that still uses and supports them at work - my personal Dell desktop conked out 1 week after the warranty expired, so I decided it was a good time to switch ), I do most of my practice in CNX2 on a PC-based laptop as it is more convenient (I cannot see the television from my home office, where my Mac sits)

When I get more serious with post-processing, I'll give up that comfort and convenience.

Gandalf_22h Silver Member Charter MemberMon 20-Jun-11 07:38 PM
#12. "RE: Neutral gray background"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon 20-Jun-11 07:42 PM by Gandalf_22h

Runcorn, GB

>Hi,
>
>I have been using NX2 on and off for a couple of years. I
>like the color control points and several of the other editing
>functions, but generally have felt the interface a bit clunky.
> I've just realized (slow learner!) that something that has
>always bothered me is that when I load the software on my Mac,
>it doesn't neutral gray out the background. This means that I
>have to drag the corner of every open image to get a clean
>workspace to edit without the distraction of my desktop. Have
>I missed something simple here?
>
>Thanks!
>
>Bill

Know what you mean Bill. Sounds like you have NX2 set to open in Edit Mode. Open in Browser mode and it shows 'grey background' Think this is a Mac thing because as soon as you open an image to edit whatever is your background wallpaper shows. What you have to do is press the letter f on your keybd and image will fill screen allowing you to see and use all tabs on either side.

I have late 2010 iMac and it has done this ever since it was installed. OS X 10.6.7 Snow Leopard.

per digitus ad astra

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #6478 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.