Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #6327
View in linear mode

Subject: "Does anyone really print with Capture NX2 ?" Previous topic | Next topic
TheMohaveKid Registered since 11th Jun 2002Thu 26-May-11 03:32 AM
2065 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Does anyone really print with Capture NX2 ?"
Thu 26-May-11 03:48 AM by TheMohaveKid

Henderson, US

Why in the world when I select 5x7 paper in page setup does the program insist I print with a bottom and right margin of .51 inches and a top margin of .25 and a left margin of .06 ? Then it insist on stopping me from entering even printing margins.

I don't get it. The manual is clueless on the subject. Do people simply skip printing with capture NX 2 ?

Okay seems I had my Dell printer specified. Should that matter ?

Thanks ..

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Does anyone really print with Capture NX2 ?
JerryLoSardo Gold Member
26th May 2011
mklass Platinum Member
26th May 2011
JerryLoSardo Gold Member
26th May 2011
mklass Platinum Member
26th May 2011
TheMohaveKid
27th May 2011
gkaiseril Gold Member
27th May 2011
barrywesthead Silver Member
26th May 2011
mpappa Silver Member
26th May 2011
nightcat
26th May 2011
mburke
27th May 2011
expat Silver Member
26th May 2011
TheMohaveKid
01st Jun 2011
mquarles
28th Jun 2011

JerryLoSardo Gold Member Charter MemberThu 26-May-11 09:24 AM
907 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Does anyone really print with Capture NX2 ?"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu 26-May-11 09:29 AM by JerryLoSardo

Frederick, US

Hi,
I feel your pain. Printing within CNX2 can be extremely frustrating.
Try this:
Do not go to page setup from the "file" menu. Instead, click on the "print" icon at the top left of the screen, which renders a "Print Layout" dialog box. From there, click on "page setup", which brings up another dialog box. In that box, choose, for example, borderless 5x7. You should now see all the margins reading "0". Now hit OK, which brings you back to the "Print Layout" dialog box. Before hitting the "print" button within the "Print Layout" screen, be sure to check the box "Crop Photos to Fit". Then click "print".

Jerry LoSardo
Frederick, Maryland

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Thu 26-May-11 10:40 AM
5961 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Does anyone really print with Capture NX2 ?"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu 26-May-11 12:53 PM by mklass

Tacoma, US

Not sure why you would be seeing this, as my version of CNX2 defaults to 0.12 inches on all 4 sides. I am printing to a Epson R1900 and use Windows Vista 64.

What printer are you using, and what is it's default margins? It does matter what printer you specify. You may need to go into the printer properties from the CNX Print dialog to correct the margins.

I actually print from CNX all the time. After the initial set-up and fine tuning, it isn't frustrating at all. It works well with my system and printer, rendering images closer to what I expect than Photoshop CS4.

Mick
www.mickklassphoto.com

JerryLoSardo Gold Member Charter MemberThu 26-May-11 05:21 PM
907 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Does anyone really print with Capture NX2 ?"
In response to Reply # 2

Frederick, US

Mick,
The problem I always had with printing from CNX2--and this is what I was trying to address with the OP--is that when one gets to the print dialog box from by way of the word menus, you cannot override the default margins. My margins also default to .12 inches on all sides, but when I try to type in "0", it just goes back to .12. It's interesting that you don't have this problem with the R1900(if I'm correctly interpreting your response). I'm using the R1800 and also use Windows Vista 64.

Jerry LoSardo
Frederick, Maryland

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Thu 26-May-11 11:09 PM
5961 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Does anyone really print with Capture NX2 ?"
In response to Reply # 7

Tacoma, US

Jerry,

Yes, I frequently change the print margins to maintain the aspect ratio or get the desired print size of the image on the size paper I am printing. I have never had a problem with this that I can recall, in any version of CNX2.

Mick
www.mickklassphoto.com

TheMohaveKid Registered since 11th Jun 2002Fri 27-May-11 04:36 AM
2065 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Does anyone really print with Capture NX2 ?"
In response to Reply # 2

Henderson, US

Hi Mick ..

I found last night that I was inadvertently selecting my Dell all in one printer instead of my Epson 2880.

Tonight I had no problem setting .12 margins all around but as I hit the enter key i can spy one of the margins being changed to .13. Sneaky !!

Ofcourse I need to read all the manuals ..still

Cheers ...

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Fri 27-May-11 02:18 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Does anyone really print with Capture NX2 ?"
In response to Reply # 9

Chicago, US

There are probably some printer definition files used by programs or the printer communicates its parameters to the programs, so the programs know the usable print area size, paper orientation, paper source, if a duplex unit is present, etc.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

barrywesthead Silver Member Awareded for his continued support of the Nikonians community, freely sharing his expertise, particularly in the areas of digital post processing and printing. Nikonian since 07th Nov 2006Thu 26-May-11 12:16 PM
1254 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Does anyone really print with Capture NX2 ?"
In response to Reply # 0

Kleinburg, CA

Should you decide to investigate alternatives to handling the print function I would highly recommend Qimage with the only caveat being some patience required to become accustomed to the user interface.

I have used it for several years and noted that several “power Nikonians” are using it.

Barry
http://art2printimages.com
bwesthead@art2printimages.com

mpappa Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Jan 2009Thu 26-May-11 12:22 PM
310 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Does anyone really print with Capture NX2 ?"
In response to Reply # 0

Doylestown, US

I second Barry's recommendation for Qimage. NX2 is frustrating at the very least for printing.

Regards,
Mike

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

nightcat Registered since 05th Mar 2006Thu 26-May-11 02:28 PM
1040 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Does anyone really print with Capture NX2 ?"
In response to Reply # 4

LaCrosse,WI, US

I gave up on printing with NX/NX2. I also use Qimage, don't have a problem with interface, not a "power Nikonian".

Kraig

"The wisest follow their own directions" -Euripides
"I thought there would be more elephants" -C. Columbus

mburke Registered since 29th Dec 2004Fri 27-May-11 11:43 AM
125 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Does anyone really print with Capture NX2 ?"
In response to Reply # 6

Rhinelander, US

Another vot for Qimage - GREAT program

Mike

expat Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Mar 2010Thu 26-May-11 12:36 PM
532 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Does anyone really print with Capture NX2 ?"
In response to Reply # 0

Qawra St Pauls Bay, MT

Not sure what it means but my canon printer has zero set for margins.
Page set up to print from windows shows zero but page set up in NX2 shows
L & R 0.133 0.133
T & B 0.12 / 0.2

TheMohaveKid Registered since 11th Jun 2002Wed 01-Jun-11 05:34 AM
#12. "RE: Does anyone really print with Capture NX2 ?"
In response to Reply # 0

Henderson, US

Thanks for the tips and the suggested software .. I will consider it.

Thanks everyone.

Cheers ...

mquarles Registered since 29th Dec 2006Tue 28-Jun-11 09:35 PM
74 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: Does anyone really print with Capture NX2 ?"
In response to Reply # 12

US

Here's another vote for Qimage. It is a great program!

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #6327 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.