Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #6277
View in linear mode

Subject: "Sharpener Pro 3.0" Previous topic | Next topic
slothead Gold Member Nikonian since 12th Aug 2009Thu 19-May-11 10:47 AM
1546 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Sharpener Pro 3.0"

Frederick, US

I am not familiar with this application. But I do see that it doesn't have a downloadable version for Capture NX2 (only for Photoshop and Lightroom). So does that suggest that its capability is no better than what Capture NX2 has already?

Can anyone elaborate on its capabilities and advantages?

Thanks,

Tom
http://tjmanson.smugmug.com
D800, et al.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Sharpener Pro 3.0
TiggerGTO Silver Member
19th May 2011
Covey22 Moderator
19th May 2011
mklass Platinum Member
19th May 2011
nwcs Silver Member
19th May 2011
TiggerGTO Silver Member
23rd May 2011
nwcs Silver Member
24th May 2011
walkerr Administrator
24th May 2011
mklass Platinum Member
24th May 2011
walkerr Administrator
24th May 2011

TiggerGTO Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Feb 2006Thu 19-May-11 11:32 AM
2258 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Sharpener Pro 3.0"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu 19-May-11 11:37 AM by TiggerGTO

Apex, US

Sharpener Pro 3.0 is a Nik plugin. The only Nik plugin that is compatible with Capture NX2 is Color Efex Pro, which is an excellent addition to NX2 by the way. There has been much discussion in the past about the Nik plugins. Many people including me would like more of them to be compatible with NX2, but I'm not holding my breath. I've seen posts saying that it would require significant redesign of the plugins to make them compatible with NX2. Apparently, Nik doesn't consider the investment worthwhile to create NX2 versions of its other plugins. I doubt the other plugins will ever be compatible with Capture until there is an NX3. I am also not holding my breath for that product. It is long overdue, and I've pretty much given up hope that we will ever see it.

Edited to add: I just realized that I never actually answered your question. I bought the Nik Complete package, but that was mainly to get Color Efex Pro, HDR Efex Pro and Silver Efex Pro for use with Photoshop. I have not done much with Sharpener Pro, but I have read favorable reviews about it.

Danny
A Nikonian in North Carolina

Covey22 Moderator Expert in various fields including aviation photography Awarded for his contributions to the Resources and The Nikonian eZine Charter MemberThu 19-May-11 01:17 PM
10623 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Sharpener Pro 3.0"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Among other things, third-party sharpener products in general give you more granularity over the pre-sharpening and sharpening process. For example, Nik allows you to brush certain sections of your photo, so if you're only interested in sharpening a certain portion of it, you can. It's also a lot more automated, so if you're the kind of post-processor who leaves the work in the hands of the tool, the third-party software can do it a lot more efficiently. CNX2 would force a more global setting and still make you decipher the settings, so this is where automation earns it's keep.

"Toodle-loo from Covey22!"

-Armando
Nikonians Team
Nikonians News - Fresh Everyday!

The Covey Blog!

My Plan:

Get out of the car.
Get closer to the subject.
Pick the right mid-tone this time.

See My Nikonians Gallery

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Thu 19-May-11 02:53 PM
5907 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Sharpener Pro 3.0"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu 19-May-11 05:20 PM by mklass

Tacoma, US

You can use Nik products that are not designed for plug-in's for Capture NX as a Standalone app.

To do so, you need the Lightroom version of the plug-in.

You can then either do a "Save as..." in CNX and save the file as a tif or jpg, then start the Nik plug in and open that file.

Or...

Set the "Open With..." CNX preference in the General Tab to open Sharpener Pro. When you the select OPen with in file file menu of CNX, with a file open< it will create a tif automatically and open Sharpener Pro. The changes will be saved in the tif. There is also a nifty little app called "Edit List by DWD" that will allow you to specify up to 10 apps that you can choose from when you "Open with" in CNX.

Of course this system does not save the edits made in the Nik app to the RAW file, as Color Efex edits are when used in CNX. Its main advantage is convenience and not needing LR or Photoshop to run the plug-in.

Also, if you use Photo Mechanic as your image browser, you can set up the LR version of the Nik plug-ins as editing applications, they then will appear in the "Edit Photo with" list and open automatically with the file.

Mick
www.mickklassphoto.com

nwcs Silver Member Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Landscape and Wildlife Photography Nikonian since 15th Jan 2006Thu 19-May-11 05:09 PM
6821 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Sharpener Pro 3.0"
In response to Reply # 0

Knoxville, US

To answer the question about Sharpener vs. NX2's sharpening routines... Sharpener is far superior. The in camera sharpening algorithms are the same ones used in the develop module. They are designed for speed, not quality. NX2 uses unsharp mask and high pass techniques for sharpening. Both are certainly usable but require finesse. Sharpener has better algorithms that give more flexibility more easily. And Sharpener is much better at targeting sharpening to your output and takes some of the guesswork out of it.

TiggerGTO Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Feb 2006Mon 23-May-11 12:03 PM
2258 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Sharpener Pro 3.0"
In response to Reply # 4

Apex, US

Neil,
Do you use Sharpener in conjunction with NX2? I've avoided using Sharpener because you have to send a TIF to it which means you are breaking out of the NEF workflow.

I really wish Nik and Nikon would get their collective butts in gear and update NX2 and hopefully make the plug-in architecture compatible so that we can use all the plug-ins directly on NEFs.

Danny
A Nikonian in North Carolina

nwcs Silver Member Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Landscape and Wildlife Photography Nikonian since 15th Jan 2006Tue 24-May-11 01:05 PM
6821 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Sharpener Pro 3.0"
In response to Reply # 5

Knoxville, US

Sometimes, but only for output. On those images that I process in nx2 I usually let the default capture sharpening be the default. But I usually export to photoshop anyway for minor things easier done in ps like watermarking so I use sharpener there on the output.

walkerr Administrator Awarded for his con tributed articles published at the Resources Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in multiple areas Nikonian since 05th May 2002Tue 24-May-11 01:24 PM
14529 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Sharpener Pro 3.0"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue 24-May-11 01:44 PM by walkerr

Colorado Springs, US

Nik Sharpener 3.0 is a bit strange. It works well as an output sharpener since it automates many settings for you that are affected by paper type, size, etc. Photographers who prefer one step sharpening (I don't) might like it. Its capture sharpening module (called presharpening) is fairly weak and while you can use control points and selectively sharpen, it doesn't have good controls for bringing out fine detail in an image. If you try, things get ugly in a hurry. With a few changes of functions in the presharpening module (hopefully in a 4.0), it could be a very complete solution for sharpening. Right now, I don't think it's there yet.

For photographers specifically using NX2, it can simplify output sharpening, but it's an expensive choice for just that feature.

Rick Walker

My photos:
GeoVista Photography

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Tue 24-May-11 01:38 PM
5907 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Sharpener Pro 3.0"
In response to Reply # 7

Tacoma, US

>For photographers specifically using NX2, it can simplify
>output sharpening, but it's an expensive choice for just that
>feature.

But pretty reasonable if you buy the Nik Complete Collection and have use for several of the plug-ins.

Mick
www.mickklassphoto.com

walkerr Administrator Awarded for his con tributed articles published at the Resources Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in multiple areas Nikonian since 05th May 2002Tue 24-May-11 01:45 PM
14529 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Sharpener Pro 3.0"
In response to Reply # 8

Colorado Springs, US

Agree.

Rick Walker

My photos:
GeoVista Photography

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #6277 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.