Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #6163
View in linear mode

Subject: "ViewNX vs. CaptureNX image rendering" Previous topic | Next topic
Despoticus Registered since 01st May 2011Sun 01-May-11 11:58 PM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"ViewNX vs. CaptureNX image rendering"

AR

I'm experiencing a strange problem with Nikon ViewNX 2 when viewing my NEF files (mostly landscape pictures shot on a Nikon D90): most images appear with banding or posterization in the sky, but when I transfer and open the same images in CaptureNX 2 the sky is rendered perfectly.

I am using a Dell U2711 color-calibrated monitor and think that this behaviour is quite strange. It occurs in almost every photo that has some sky on it, particularly in the darker parts.

Could it be that ViewNX uses a different rendering algorithm, maybe for faster display? Or maybe it oversharpens the image?

I checked that the preview in ViewNX shows directly the RAW file (not the JPEG part), and this effect is noticeable at different zoom levels (100%, screen fit, etc.).

I uploaded two screenshots of the same photo, one taken from ViewNX and the other one from CaptureNX.

Since both screenshots were saved as PNG files the quality is not as good as in RAW (NEF), but you can still see the differences.

You can compare both screenshots here:

Screenshot from ViewNX (ugly)
http://picturepush.com/public/5573472

Screenshot from CaptureNX (fine)
http://picturepush.com/public/5573474

Please note that in ViewNX the RAW button in the upper left corner is yellow (activated). As far as I know that means that I am seeing the actual NEF file and not the embedded JPEG preview.

The other thing I notice is that colors are slightly different, even if the NEF file is the same in both cases (without any editing or setting applied, straight from camera).

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.
Marc

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

Covey22 Moderator Expert in various fields including aviation photography Awarded for his contributions to the Resources and The Nikonian eZine Charter MemberMon 02-May-11 12:42 PM
10673 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: ViewNX vs. CaptureNX image rendering"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Just basic troubleshooting first. Are you running current versions of the programs?

Member ChuckV has a similar thread going. Not sure if he's been able to successfully resolve it (re: the rendering not the posterization) yet.

"Toodle-loo from Covey22!"

-Armando
Nikonians Team
Nikonians News - Fresh Everyday!

The Covey Blog!

My Plan:

Get out of the car.
Get closer to the subject.
Pick the right mid-tone this time.

See My Nikonians Gallery

Despoticus Registered since 01st May 2011Mon 02-May-11 12:51 PM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: ViewNX vs. CaptureNX image rendering"
In response to Reply # 1

AR

>Just basic troubleshooting first. Are you running
>current
>versions of the programs?
>
>Member ChuckV has a similar thread going. Not sure if he's
>been able to successfully resolve it (re: the rendering not
>the posterization) yet.

Yes, I'm using the latest version of both software packages.
Thank you for your comment.

Covey22 Moderator Expert in various fields including aviation photography Awarded for his contributions to the Resources and The Nikonian eZine Charter MemberMon 02-May-11 02:45 PM
10673 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: ViewNX vs. CaptureNX image rendering"
In response to Reply # 2

US

Check your cache and refresh settings in ViewNX2. I'm away from my PP desktop at the moment, so I can't give you the exact path. But from what I remember when Nikon forced me to give up Nikon View 5 and go to VNX, I would set the cache to the same scratch drive as my other PP software, and force a refresh everytime I reloaded the thumbnails.

-Armando
Nikonians Team

The Covey Blog!

My Plan:

Get out of the car.

See My Nikonians Gallery

Covey22 Moderator Expert in various fields including aviation photography Awarded for his contributions to the Resources and The Nikonian eZine Charter MemberTue 03-May-11 03:37 AM
#4. "RE: ViewNX vs. CaptureNX image rendering"
In response to Reply # 3

US

Okay - got to my PP machine. Suggest a couple of things here:

1. Move out any JPEG preview files and makes sure you're only seeing/editing NEF files in your folders.

2. Check to make sure your color management settings match what I set in VNX2 (attached)

3. Dump your VNX2 Cache - Preferences->Thumbnail Cache Settings->Clear Cache.

4. Restart VNX2 and see if it matches CNX2.

-Armando
Nikonians Team

The Covey Blog!

My Plan:

Get out of the car.

See My Nikonians Gallery

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #6163 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.