Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #6158
View in linear mode

Subject: "Colour editing for printing." Previous topic | Next topic
ozzy1 Registered since 22nd Mar 2011Sun 01-May-11 10:43 AM
90 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Colour editing for printing."

AU

I have taken some acceptable flower pix with a D7K and Micro Nikkor 60mm.
I am editing/retouching in CS5. One picis an azelia which is shades of pink with a yellow top on th stamen, and yellow pollen deep in th flower.

Out of several trial pix, th tip of th stamen comes out green..and th pollen at the base of th stamen virtually turns black...

I have tried painting in yellow at th base, but it takes a green tinge and th result is a mess.

I am printing with an Epson R800.

Any suggestions for a cure?

Yellow seems to be a difficult colour to print.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/Ozzy66/Cockfighting-1.gif

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Colour editing for printing.
Robp Gold Member
01st May 2011
Obregon Moderator
01st May 2011
ozzy1
02nd May 2011
robsb Platinum Member
02nd May 2011
Obregon Moderator
02nd May 2011
Jim031
03rd May 2011
Robp Gold Member
03rd May 2011
ozzy1
03rd May 2011
Robp Gold Member
03rd May 2011
ozzy1
04th May 2011
sevtcard Silver Member
04th May 2011
Robp Gold Member
04th May 2011
ozzy1
05th May 2011

Robp Gold Member Nikonian since 23rd Oct 2009Sun 01-May-11 01:24 PM
951 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Colour editing for printing."
In response to Reply # 0
Sun 01-May-11 04:52 PM by Robp

Gainesville, US

You may have already done the preliminary work and are actually trying to change colors with painting; if so, please disregard my assumptions. I'm guessing that you need to make some basic adjustments rather than painting-in colors..Start with your un-edited RAW file in ACR. Turn on the warning lights in the histogram window and adjust Exposure/Recovery and Blacks/Fill Light to just turn the warnings off. Read about highlight and shadow recovery in the manual and try the tricks.

Edit: This was written based on your stating that the colors were wrong in the image, assumed to be on-screen. If the display image is OK, then you have a printing issue that is probably Color Management related, as Obregon suggests in his Reply #2. Let us know where the problem is.

Rob Puller
My Nikonians gallery

Obregon Moderator Charter MemberSun 01-May-11 01:54 PM
2471 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Colour editing for printing."
In response to Reply # 0

New York City, US

It's important to have a color-managed workflow. Is your monitor calibrated? I am not familiar with the drivers for the R800, although a look at the website for Epson does not reveal whether profiles for papers are available, but if they are, have you used the correct profile? Have you soft-proofed your image using a profile to see what the expected print should look like, and tried to make adjustments to the soft proof? While soft proofing, have you checked which colors are out of gamut?

The R800 has limited usefulness for fine colot printing with only four colors available, compared to Epson printers with say 8 colors, so don't expect too much of it.

ozzy1 Registered since 22nd Mar 2011Mon 02-May-11 10:59 AM
90 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Colour editing for printing."
In response to Reply # 2

AU

The R800 has 8 colours, and was the top pic printer in th slightly unreasonable price range at date of purchase.

The pic on th monitor is th way I want th pic to print.

But on printing, the grains of polen, visible on the monitor, just disapear into a dark hole at the apex of the flower....where it joins th stem.

I have had problems with yellow before.

The hundreds of individual flowers in a spray of King Orchids comes out as a great yellow blob without detail...even on th monitor...unless very carefully handled.

The orange (!) of my 104 yr old MIL's hair and the beard of the cook presenting her birthday cake, just print like scrambled egg..whatever colour setting I try for printing.

So yes, the problem exists in the printing stage.

But I suspect there might be a problem with electronic digital sensors handling very saturated subjects.

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Mon 02-May-11 05:59 PM
12976 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#4. "RE: Colour editing for printing."
In response to Reply # 3

San Jose, US

Since you are using Adobe products and not CNX2 what settings are you using in Adobe? Your camera settings will not be read, so your Adobe settings are what you need to check. what does your histogram look like? Are any of the colors slamming against the ends causing over saturation? Are you using the latest profiles for your printer? What kind of paper are you using?

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

"Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the
camera"

Retirement is a gift of time - Don't waste it!

Obregon Moderator Charter MemberMon 02-May-11 06:53 PM
2471 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Colour editing for printing."
In response to Reply # 3

New York City, US

I didn't mean to insult your printer. Forgive me for my error.

My original questions are still important, even though your monitor looks like what you want to print.

Good luck!

Jim031 Registered since 10th Apr 2011Tue 03-May-11 12:04 AM
44 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Colour editing for printing."
In response to Reply # 5

DeLand, US

I just started this serious printing business so what I have to contribute may be way really way off base.

It sounds like your printer is having trouble replicating your color gamut. What I think that means is the software in adobe is sending colors to the printer that it can't reproduce and in trying it just forgets you wanted those different tones in your yellows. There is a way to see these out of gamut colors in CSE but I can't remember how to do it as I use NX2. I do remember that whatever color is out of gamut will show up as magenta on your screen. Not in your print.

Are you using the computer to manage colors? Have you tried letting the printer manage colors? You may have and I just didn't see it in your post. I had a issue with greens printing as rust color on the fringes of the leaves and it turned out to be me (imagine that!) using different color spaces although at the time I didn't know it.

Jim

Robp Gold Member Nikonian since 23rd Oct 2009Tue 03-May-11 01:43 AM
951 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Colour editing for printing."
In response to Reply # 6

Gainesville, US

Jim, you might be right in thinking that there is an out-of-gamut issue here because a malfunctioning printer would not exhibit it's full gamut, but it would be a rare case if all of the settings in the Color Management train of operations are correct and the printer is depositing ink correctly. If this is one of those rare cases, I suspect that a major difference would be seen in images printed with Perceptual and Relative Colormetric rendering applied.

I think you may be over-estimating the Out-of-Gamut problem. The whole purpose of a Color Engine is to map colors from one color space to another using ICC Profiles which describe the characteristics of the adjacent color spaces. This "mapping" of colors is influenced by choosing a rendition method, usually either Perceptual Rendition, which preserves relationships between colors usually making the image more natural looking, or Relative Colormetric, which preserves more of the original colors at the possible expense of a less natural look. Rendition effects have been discussed at length and well in a post by Hitoshi Ujiie in the Color Management forum at URL
http://www.nikonians.org/forums/dcboard.php?az=set_threaded_mode&forum=198&topic_id=21113&prev_page=show_topic&gid=21113#21193

I discussed the mapping reality in Replies # 14 & 16 in another thread at URL
http://www.nikonians.org/forums/dcboard.php?az=set_threaded_mode&forum=198&topic_id=20056&prev_page=show_topic&gid=20056#20089
The examples of out-of-gamut images that I used were so grossly exaggerated that one would NEVER see a real world image that bad and yet the Color Engine still managed a credible translation (mapping) of the colors from the out-of-gamut space to a printer's color space.

Rob Puller
My Nikonians gallery

ozzy1 Registered since 22nd Mar 2011Tue 03-May-11 01:18 PM
#8. "RE: Colour editing for printing."
In response to Reply # 7
Tue 03-May-11 01:24 PM by ozzy1

AU

Theres lots of good suggestions here for me to work through..And thank you for your contributions.

I have tried to let th printer control colour, but mainly I let Photoshop manage.

The flower in this case is shades of pink or maybe magenta is closer.
It seems to swamp the pic. There is just th stamen white with the yellow button on top, and the pollen grains at th base. Maybe I can print it here...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/Ozzy66/DSC_0134Azeliahiisodespec800.jpg

Th pollen grains at th base are what I want to show up more to add some interest. They dont show up noticeably in th print..just a sort of darkening hole.

Checking th pic on this thread, thats what I wd like it to look like in th print.

I have capturenx2..havent tried it yet. Maybe I can get it with that.

Robp Gold Member Nikonian since 23rd Oct 2009Tue 03-May-11 04:13 PM
#9. "RE: Colour editing for printing."
In response to Reply # 8
Tue 03-May-11 04:16 PM by Robp

Gainesville, US

Cedric, this image looks rough to me. It's blown-out and noisy. Take a look at my comments in Reply #1 regarding the warning lights in the histogram window of ACR. You can do a lot more with a RAW file than a JPG, but you can still make some adjustment. And yes, you can open a JPG in ACR if you set that option in Camera Raw's Precedent file.

1. Is the original a RAW/NEF file?

I ask because your profile indicates that you retain mainly JPG format files and I believe that you can better adjust a RAW image. Such adjustment might still not fully explain your printing issue, however.

Bob's comment in his Reply #4 regarding the histogram is germane.

2. Why don't you take a grab-shot of your histogram window and post it to give us a little more information?

3. Have you cleaned your print heads and performed a head alignment?

4. Have you confirmed that all of your Color Management settings are correct? Ian Lyons provides an excellent tutorial on CS5 Color Management at the following URL:
http://www.computer-darkroom.com/ps12_colour/ps12_1.htm

Rob Puller
My Nikonians gallery

ozzy1 Registered since 22nd Mar 2011Wed 04-May-11 12:33 PM
#10. "RE: Colour editing for printing."
In response to Reply # 9
Wed 04-May-11 12:35 PM by ozzy1

AU

Yes It is a high ISO pic taken with available light.

I have never used histograms yet, but here is th one for this pic.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/Ozzy66/AzeliaHiISO800histogram.jpg

It seems to be blown out both ends as suggested above.

It is no longer available as a raw file..it is JPEG.

Print heads clean and aligned.

Not at all sure about colour management settings. Will look up Ian Lyons.

Paper Epson Ultraglossy.

sevtcard Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Mar 2009Wed 04-May-11 12:47 PM
330 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Colour editing for printing."
In response to Reply # 10

US

is your monitor calibrated - if you are losing information, it is probably too bright - might want to try 5500k instead of 6500k if you do calibrate...in addition, you don't have a lot of info in this image - it's blown at both ends.
mark
www.broadwallphotography.com

Robp Gold Member Nikonian since 23rd Oct 2009Wed 04-May-11 06:49 PM
#12. "RE: Colour editing for printing."
In response to Reply # 10

Gainesville, US

Cedric, everything we've thought about the appearance of the histogram is true and it provides pretty clear indication of needed adjustments. I've taken the liberty of playing with your posted JPG just to see if some positive effect could be achieved. I think it worked pretty well, so I'll try to show what i did.

Please understand that there are a zillion ways to approach image enhancement and I'm sure that some more experienced readers will have better ideas. Further, I just plowed along through the adjustment options without worrying about the fact that some of the adjustments were redundant; you could probably improve this considerably. I chose to make all adjustments in Adobe Camera Raw (ACR) because I'm comfortable with it (mainly because it excels in adjusting RAW image data, but it works well with JPG's also); you could probably replicate these adjustments in CS5 if you choose.

Without doubt, similar adjustments applied to a RAW image would achieve far better results, but we have to deal with what we have. The image that I worked on has been seriously degraded by the JPG compression algorithms applied to reduce your file size to that required by Nikonians. If you will work on your original JPG and not apply any further compression, you should get much better results than I have.

OK, all that blathering and qualification aside, here is what I did.

Set Preferences in ACR (you can call ACR Preferences up in CS5) to open JPG's in ACR upon initially opening the JPG with CS5. When you first open the image, click on the Highlight Warning indicators in the histogram window; you'll see that both ends of the histogram are blown out as indicated by warning colors shown in the image. I usually attempt to correct these by adjusting Exposure and Blacks in the Basic adjustment panel, but this image is so extreme that I had to use the Tone Curve to just delete the useless data outside of the reproducible color spectrum.

Adjust the Tone Curve panel to kill the blown highlights and blacks by clicking at the extreme ends of the curve and setting the coordinates at the lower left to 0,1 and the upper right to 255, 254. Then I adjusted the quarter points of the curve to 64,74 and 192,182 to add some contrast.

Adjust the Basic panel as shown to push luminance toward a more pleasing mid-ground and colors and clarity to my liking.

Adjust the HSL/Greyscale panel to bring up those yellow that you like.

Adjust the Detail panel to reduce the noise and sharpen the image. I chose to use a High Radius, Low Amount setting instead of the reverse because it gave much more natural results.

Here is the final product:

Try making these adjustments and then print the image to see if that affects the outcome. Let us know if image adjustment helps correct the print.

Rob Puller
My Nikonians gallery

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)
Attachment #3, (jpg file)
Attachment #4, (jpg file)
Attachment #5, (jpg file)
Attachment #6, (jpg file)

ozzy1 Registered since 22nd Mar 2011Thu 05-May-11 10:35 AM
#13. "RE: Colour editing for printing."
In response to Reply # 12

AU

Gee Rob, that looks great!

I dont pretend to know a lot about Photoshop or Raw processing...I know nothing of th latter...altho it does seem the best way to deal with processing.

And I know enough about Photoshop to tart up my pics somewhat.

Seeing what you have done with that pic, I can see that I might "save" a lot of disappointing images when I master th necessary techniques.

Anyway, thats why I am in th Nikonians..to learn stuff.

Thanks for your effort. Its a great eye-opener and incentive to dig a bit deeper and learn a bit more!

Thank you!

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #6158 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.