Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #6147
View in linear mode

Subject: "NX2: 2.2.7 Faster?" Previous topic | Next topic
Aubrey Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Jun 2007Sat 30-Apr-11 08:44 AM
219 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"NX2: 2.2.7 Faster?"

Limassol, CY

Is it subjective, but it appears to me that 2.2.7 loads my raw images much faster.

Any comments?

Aubrey.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: NX2: 2.2.7 Faster?
JerryLoSardo Silver Member
30th Apr 2011
sevtcard Silver Member
30th Apr 2011
Jim031
30th Apr 2011
FrankSRGB Silver Member
01st May 2011
expat Silver Member
09th May 2011
James23p Moderator
02nd May 2011
John Steadman
03rd May 2011
nwcs Silver Member
05th May 2011
drjh68 Silver Member
06th May 2011
expat Silver Member
08th May 2011
FrankSRGB Silver Member
09th May 2011
Covey22 Moderator
09th May 2011
expat Silver Member
09th May 2011
pwarbeck Silver Member
10th May 2011

JerryLoSardo Silver Member Charter MemberSat 30-Apr-11 11:33 AM
842 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: NX2: 2.2.7 Faster?"
In response to Reply # 0

Frederick, US

I just upgraded last night and played a bit with it this morning. I don't notice any difference in speed at all, but I did read at least one other post that also claimed faster performance.

Jerry LoSardo
Frederick, Maryland

sevtcard Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Mar 2009Sat 30-Apr-11 02:21 PM
327 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: NX2: 2.2.7 Faster?"
In response to Reply # 0

Brattleboro, US

certainly feels faster on my machine (i7 980x 12gigs win7 64bit)...however, the 'engine out of memory' error persists, perhaps not surprisingly, since this is not a full release capable of 64 bit management...
mark
www.broadwallphotography.com

Jim031 Registered since 10th Apr 2011Sat 30-Apr-11 03:41 PM
44 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: NX2: 2.2.7 Faster?"
In response to Reply # 2

DeLand, US

I have noticed a speed increase. But the fastest way to get there has been through using NXview2 and leaving NX2 minimized, but loaded. It seems to pop the images into NX2 faster. I have not experienced the memory issue but I do not do batch operations.

Jim

FrankSRGB Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Aug 2009Sun 01-May-11 05:17 PM
103 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: NX2: 2.2.7 Faster?"
In response to Reply # 3

US

In 2.2.6 Nikon fixed a bug that prevented the cpnx_tiledata temp folder from being located where the user configured it in Preferences/Folder for Temporary Data. However, while the contents of the folder was properly deleted at the end of a CNX session, the folder itself (containing a unique number such as cpnx_5196_tiledata) was left behind. These orphaned folders build up over time, one for every time CNX was opened. Each time CNX opens I suspect it parses the folder names so it can create a new temp folder without duplicating the unique number found in one of the orphaned folders.

In 2.2.7, the bug that left orphaned folders behind was fixed.

I think 2.2.7 opens faster, at least in part, because it no longer needs to parse a long list of cpnx_tiledata folder names. Of course the length of the list would vary from user to user, and whether or not the user chose to manually remove the orphaned folders during routine cleanup maintenance, so it might open faster for some than for others.

expat Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Mar 2010Mon 09-May-11 08:47 AM
532 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: NX2: 2.2.7 Faster?"
In response to Reply # 4

Qawra St Pauls Bay, MT

>In 2.2.6 Nikon fixed a bug that prevented the cpnx_tiledata
>temp folder from being located where the user configured it in
>Preferences/Folder for Temporary Data. However, while the
>contents of the folder was properly deleted at the end of a
>CNX session, the folder itself (containing a unique number
>such as cpnx_5196_tiledata) was left behind. These orphaned
>folders build up over time, one for every time CNX was opened.
> Each time CNX opens I suspect it parses the folder names so
>it can create a new temp folder without duplicating the unique
>number found in one of the orphaned folders.
>
>In 2.2.7, the bug that left orphaned folders behind was
>fixed.
>
>I think 2.2.7 opens faster, at least in part, because it no
>longer needs to parse a long list of cpnx_tiledata folder
>names. Of course the length of the list would vary from user
>to user, and whether or not the user chose to manually remove
>the orphaned folders during routine cleanup maintenance, so it
>might open faster for some than for others.
>
I know little about it but a while back I followed links on the site & changed my settings as follows, does your post mean that I could reset the defaults now with 2.2.7 installed?
Preferences - 'General', under Folder for 'Temp Data' I added an external HD ref: instead. Also did the same under 'Cache Settings'.
Be very obliged for advice. Also I use two external drives and dont know how to change the settings so both can be called up in preferences?
Thanks

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

James23p Moderator Awarded for his wide variety of skills, a true generalist both in film and digital photography Nikonian since 25th Apr 2004Mon 02-May-11 04:04 AM
9103 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: NX2: 2.2.7 Faster?"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon 02-May-11 04:05 AM by James23p

Memphis, US

On my 32bit Vista laptop with 4 gig of memory it does seem to be faster opening but where I have seen a real speed increase is when I convert and save to a different file on my laptop.

Jim

Share, Learn and Inspire
www.nikonians.org

I will use film until the last roll and last lab are gone. Go Navy

John Steadman Registered since 15th Apr 2009Tue 03-May-11 02:45 PM
13 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: NX2: 2.2.7 Faster?"
In response to Reply # 5

Stourbridge, GB

I upgraded NX2 last week and yes it does seem a little faster,I shall be glad when Nikon decides to upgrade NX2 to 64 bit,but wonder if it will ever happen it is certainly long overdue.

John.

nwcs Silver Member Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Landscape and Wildlife Photography Nikonian since 15th Jan 2006Thu 05-May-11 07:53 PM
6804 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: NX2: 2.2.7 Faster?"
In response to Reply # 0

Knoxville, US

Doesn't seem any faster to me. Most of the time when I think it's faster it's because of some reset done during install/upgrade and it settles back to normal soon enough.

drjh68 Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Oct 2003Fri 06-May-11 03:27 PM
141 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: NX2: 2.2.7 Faster?"
In response to Reply # 0

Woodbridge, Suffolk, GB

I have just updated from NX2 2.2.6 to 2.2.7. The increase in speed of loading thumbnails and selected photos is as fast as I will ever need it! Amazing.

James

expat Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Mar 2010Sun 08-May-11 03:21 PM
532 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: NX2: 2.2.7 Faster?"
In response to Reply # 8

Qawra St Pauls Bay, MT

I got carried away and thought it was faster but next time I used it it was at snails pace again, cant see anything in Nikons description of the upgrade which would make it faster, isnt the change mainly to accomadate another camera? (as usual)

FrankSRGB Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Aug 2009Mon 09-May-11 12:46 AM
103 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: NX2: 2.2.7 Faster?"
In response to Reply # 9

US

My experience is that loading the CNX program only (as from the windows Start menu) is faster. Loading CNX and an image at the same time by double-clicking a NEF file makes it somewhat harder to tell.

Nikon doesn't necessarily document all the changes they make, see my earlier post. So you can't tell from their description of the update everything it will contain.

Covey22 Moderator Expert in various fields including aviation photography Awarded for his contributions to the Resources and The Nikonian eZine Charter MemberMon 09-May-11 02:25 AM
10410 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: NX2: 2.2.7 Faster?"
In response to Reply # 0

US

No noticeable increase in speed for me.

"Toodle-loo from Covey22!"

-Armando
Nikonians Team
Nikonians News - Fresh Everyday!

The Covey Blog!

My Plan:

Get out of the car.
Get closer to the subject.
Pick the right mid-tone this time.

See My Nikonians Gallery

expat Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Mar 2010Mon 09-May-11 06:21 AM
#12. "RE: NX2: 2.2.7 Faster?"
In response to Reply # 11

Qawra St Pauls Bay, MT

The big thing that gets to me,as mentioned in this thread already, is the 64 bit anomaly. I live in a tiny island in the middle of the Med where things can take time but I dont think it would easy to buy a Windows laptop here that is not 64 bit, strange how a great co like Nikon does not keep up with the PC world.
Maybe if my laptop was able to run programs at its full potential it would be fairer to comment on speed etc.

pwarbeck Silver Member Nikonian since 25th May 2009Tue 10-May-11 02:36 PM
246 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: NX2: 2.2.7 Faster?"
In response to Reply # 0

Tucson AZ, US

>Is it subjective, but it appears to me that 2.2.7 loads my
>raw images much faster.
>
>Any comments?
>
>Aubrey.

I upgraded from 2.2.6 yesterday, and it opens NEF's a LOT faster. This is especially noticeable with NEF's having a long edit list. The old version took much longer to render them.

Visit my gallery on 23hq

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #6147 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.