nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Print Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS Post-Processing & Workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Software (Public) topic #6107
View in linear mode

Subject: "FINDING FOCUS DISTANCE" Previous topic | Next topic
SWIMR Silver Member  US  Nikonian since 24th Apr 2006 Sun 24-Apr-11 02:45 PM
271 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"FINDING FOCUS DISTANCE "

Is there a way for either CNX2 or ViewNX2 to display the actual focus distance used in an image? I'm able to turn on the "focus point" feature with images shot with my D90, 16-85VR lens, but I was hoping to see what distance the camera actually set for the focus point shown (this, because I suspect it's not focusing accurately, especially at the wide end).

Thanks for any help!

Alert Print | Reply | Quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: FINDING FOCUS DISTANCE gkaiseril Gold Member
24th Apr 2011
Reply message RE: FINDING FOCUS DISTANCE SWIMR Silver Member
25th Apr 2011
     Reply message RE: FINDING FOCUS DISTANCE PAStime Silver Member
25th Apr 2011
          Reply message RE: FINDING FOCUS DISTANCE cliddell Silver Member
25th Apr 2011
Reply message RE: FINDING FOCUS DISTANCE Antero52 Silver Member Awarded for his expertise in post-processing, being  consistently helpful and professional.
27th Apr 2011

gkaiseril Gold Member  Chicago, US  Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005 Sun 24-Apr-11 07:42 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: FINDING FOCUS DISTANCE "
In response to Reply # 0

That information in contained within the MakerNote section of the Exif data. You will need an external program that is capable of reading that data. And some of the you will see would look like:

ExifTool Version Number : 8.41
File Name : dsc_2171.jpg
File Type : JPEG
Make : NIKON CORPORATION
Camera Model Name : NIKON D70
Software : Ver.2.00
Exposure Time : 1/60
F Number : 5.0
Exif Version : 0221
Max Aperture Value : 4.8
Metering Mode : Multi-segment
Focal Length : 56.0 mm

Maker Note Version : 2.10
ISO : 200
Focus Mode : AF-S
Lens Type : G VR
Lens : 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6
AF Area Mode : Dynamic Area (closest subject)
AF Point : Top
AF Points In Focus : Top
AF Aperture : 4.8
Focus Position : 0x99
Focus Distance : 5.96 m
Lens ID Number : 139
Digital Zoom Ratio : 1
Focal Length In 35mm Format : 84 mm
Subject Distance Range : Unknown
Aperture : 5.0
Lens ID : AF-S DX VR Zoom-Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED
Lens : 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 G VR
Scale Factor To 35 mm Equivalent: 1.5
Shutter Speed : 1/60
Circle Of Confusion : 0.020 mm
Depth Of Field : 2.33 m (5.01 - 7.34)
Field Of View : 24.0 deg (2.53 m)
Focal Length : 56.0 mm (35 mm equivalent: 84.0 mm)
Hyperfocal Distance : 31.31 m
Light Value : 9.6

Also you need to be aware the the focus points in the camera's veiwfinder and software are not exactly in palsy where the senseors are within the camera. You probably need to set up an image with markers at exact locations, and test at where within the focal point slected area the sensor really is located. You could also try different focus modes and observe what sensor is used.

Focus distance will only be reported with a chipped lens that reports that data, usualy a D or G lens.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

SWIMR Silver Member  US  Nikonian since 24th Apr 2006 Mon 25-Apr-11 12:33 AM
271 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: FINDING FOCUS DISTANCE "
In response to Reply # 1

Thanks for the quick reply...this really helps point me in the right direction. Could you recommend an external program that would display this info? Thanks again!

PAStime Silver Member  Kingston, CA  Nikonian since 10th Feb 2009 Mon 25-Apr-11 01:25 AM
2670 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: FINDING FOCUS DISTANCE "
In response to Reply # 2

>Thanks for the quick reply...this really helps point me in
>the right direction. Could you recommend an external program
>that would display this info? Thanks again!

I really like PhotoMe. I hit the search button and enter "dist" in the search field and that usually narrows down the displayed data to isolate Focus Distance. PhotoMe is free from http://www.photome.de/

Peter

cliddell Silver Member  Pietermaritzburg, ZA  Nikonian since 10th Oct 2006 Mon 25-Apr-11 10:11 AM
1007 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: FINDING FOCUS DISTANCE "
In response to Reply # 3

+1 for PhotoMe.

I have always been able to get any information I need and PhotoMe has some nice touches like a small histogram and also a small image with the focus point shown (where applicable).

Of course it also handles RAW files seamlessly...

Regards,
Clive Liddell
Pietermaritzburg
South Africa

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Antero52 Silver Member Awarded for his expertise in post-processing, being  consistently helpful and professional.   Vantaa, FI  Nikonian since 07th Jul 2009 Wed 27-Apr-11 05:22 AM
2584 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: FINDING FOCUS DISTANCE "
In response to Reply # 0

Hi

You posted a similar question on the Panorama forum. It took me a couple of days to find the answer. It is possible that I found this information in Lightroom and not in CNX2. See this thread:

http://www.nikonians.org/forums/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=170&topic_id=4917&mesg_id=4917&page=

Regards, Antero

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS Post-Processing & Workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Software (Public) topic #6107 Previous topic | Next topic