Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #6106
View in linear mode

Subject: "Noise Ninja versus NX2 Noise Reduction" Previous topic | Next topic
slothead Gold Member Nikonian since 12th Aug 2009Sun 24-Apr-11 12:38 PM
1546 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Noise Ninja versus NX2 Noise Reduction"

Frederick, US

I'm not sure exactly where to post this, but I'll start here.

I've been trying to compare the noise reduction function of Capture NX2 to the Noise Ninja (of which I have a trial version). Obviously I can't do a lot of comparison because there is such a wide range of effect that to compare them in all levels is very time consuming.

Those of you who have used both, do you have an unbiased conclusion of which you feel does a better job? Personally I think I see a slightly better effect in Ninja than NX2, but I'm not sure I have exercised either appropriately to bring them to comparable states.

Tom
http://tjmanson.smugmug.com
D800, et al.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

FrankSRGB Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Aug 2009Mon 25-Apr-11 05:31 PM
103 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Noise Ninja versus NX2 Noise Reduction"
In response to Reply # 0

US

I use CNX for NR and have tried NoiseNinja and other stand-alone NR apps.

The big difference that I can see between CNX and the stand-alones is with global NR. The stand alones tend to preserve edges/details better.

However, I rarely apply NR globally in CNX and almost always apply it selectively. In this regard I don't see much advantage to paying extra for the stand alones.

Regards,
Frank

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Mon 25-Apr-11 06:20 PM
6011 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Noise Ninja versus NX2 Noise Reduction"
In response to Reply # 1

Tacoma, US

I've never been happy with CNX's noise reduction, compared to dedicated noise reduction apps. I use Noiseware and Dfine, but also tried Noise Ninja and liked the results.

Maybe I'm just not using CNX's noise reduction feature properly, but it seems to do a poor job of retaining detail.

Mick
www.mickklassphoto.com

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #6106 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.