Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #610
View in linear mode

Subject: "NX2 QUESTION - WHAT AM I DOING WRONG" Previous topic | Next topic
WSR Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Sep 2009Thu 10-Dec-09 07:07 PM
34 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"NX2 QUESTION - WHAT AM I DOING WRONG"

Sebring, US

I am new to NX2, but have read 3 "how to" books on the program. I am importing raw photos into Iphoto on my Mac. I then edit them in NX2. When I want to save as a jpeg or a tiff file I have no problem saving the edited photo and can put them back into Iphoto, Finders, etc.

When I try to save the edited piece in raw the photo reverts back to the raw original file. What I would like to do is save the limited number of edited "KEEPER" photos in raw edited form. I then would like to delete the originals to save more of my hard drive capacity and save only the best shots in edited raw format.

I have even tried saving edited photos to a disk with only the originals appearing on the disk.

I appreciate any advice. I am using the Nikon book, Real World Capture NX2 by Ben Long, and Capture NX2 After The Shot by Mike Hagen. I am not the sharpest computer guy - or Nikon D300 user (in other words, keep it simple if possible).

Thanks for any help!

Will Randall

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: NX2 QUESTION - WHAT AM I DOING WRONG
elec164 Silver Member
11th Dec 2009
robsb Platinum Member
11th Dec 2009
WSR Silver Member
11th Dec 2009
F1 Fan
11th Dec 2009
WSR Silver Member
11th Dec 2009
TiggerGTO Silver Member
11th Dec 2009
WSR Silver Member
11th Dec 2009
TiggerGTO Silver Member
16th Dec 2009

elec164 Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jan 2009Fri 11-Dec-09 02:50 AM
1984 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: NX2 QUESTION - WHAT AM I DOING WRONG"
In response to Reply # 0

US

I believe what you are running into is a limitation of proprietary raw formats.

When you edit a NEF you are not editing the raw data but manipulating the rendered image in the editor such as NX2. When you are done and re-save the NEF the changes are stored within the NEF file as a database of the edit steps but the raw data remains untouched. And those steps are only readable by NX2 so if you open that image in PS (I am not familiar with iPhoto but I suspect the same might be true) it cannot access those edits and renders the raw data in it’s own way. And conversely raw edits made in ACR are saved in either a sidecar file or database which is only used by Adobe products and NX2 will not be able to read or render them.

At least that is my understanding of this at the moment. If I made any misstatements I would appreciate any corrections.

Pete

Pete

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Fri 11-Dec-09 07:47 AM
12592 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#2. "RE: NX2 QUESTION - WHAT AM I DOING WRONG"
In response to Reply # 0

San Jose, US

When you first save the NEF in NX2 it has all your change steps in it. when you open it in Iphoto it cannot read the change steps so only shows the originaal, but the changes are still there. If you use View NX you will see the changed file.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

"Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the
camera"

Retirement is a gift of time - Don't waste it!

WSR Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Sep 2009Fri 11-Dec-09 11:21 AM
34 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: NX2 QUESTION - WHAT AM I DOING WRONG"
In response to Reply # 2
Fri 11-Dec-09 11:34 PM by WSR

Sebring, US

Thanks for the input. I understand that NX2 keeps the original file but still have not heard how I can save an edited raw photo in program except NX2. Is it impossible?

WSR

F1 Fan Registered since 12th Jan 2007Fri 11-Dec-09 12:33 PM
484 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: NX2 QUESTION - WHAT AM I DOING WRONG"
In response to Reply # 3

St. Louis, US

Are you saying when you save your edited RAW file in NX2, go back later and then reopen it in NX2, that the edit steps are not there?

Maybe I am misunderstanding your problem.

What version of NX2 are you using?

Mark,
www.MarkHornePhotography.com

Life is short. Live it as an Exclamation, not an Explanation.

WSR Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Sep 2009Fri 11-Dec-09 06:45 PM
#6. "RE: NX2 QUESTION - WHAT AM I DOING WRONG"
In response to Reply # 4

Sebring, US

No, NX2 will save changes and those changes will be visible when I open the NX2 program again. I am using the latest NX2 version.

Where I have a problem (that appears to be normal) is when I take an edited picture,
high light it, click on File, and then choose nef in the Processing Queue. After processing and sending the photo to "Photos" on a Mac the photo will be in the unedited form. If I choose jpeg or tiff in the Processing Queue the the edited photo will appear in edited form.

I would like to be able to send a NEF file in the same manner as above and have it appear in edited form. Lets say I want to print the edited photo on a large format printer - how can this be done unless the "TIFF" option was chosen and would work.

TiggerGTO Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Feb 2006Fri 11-Dec-09 06:13 PM
2252 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: NX2 QUESTION - WHAT AM I DOING WRONG"
In response to Reply # 3

Apex, US

NX2 and perhaps View NX are the only programs that can see and understand changes made in and saved by NX2. Similarly, if you edit a nef in another application like LR2 or Photoshop, NX2 will not be able to see those changes. It is unfortunately the way that things are right now for editing raw Nikon files.

Some programs like Photo Mechanic can use the embedded jpg that NX2 updates when you save your changes. Other than that, if you want to use your updated image in another program like iPhoto or LR or Photoshop, you must use "save as" to save your image as a tif. Another choice is to configure NX2's "Open with" option to open the program of your choice. When you use that path, NX2 will save your image as a tif and automatically open it in the application you configure to be used.

Danny
A Nikonian in North Carolina

WSR Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Sep 2009Fri 11-Dec-09 06:51 PM
#7. "RE: NX2 QUESTION - WHAT AM I DOING WRONG"
In response to Reply # 5
Fri 11-Dec-09 11:36 PM by WSR

Sebring, US

Thanks Danny,

Would you comment on my reply #4. I am curious how an NX2 edited photo could be printed in large format if say the printer was not in my home. Would I convert it to tiff first or what. I have no experience with quality printers, but do not think that a jpeg file is the way to go.

WSR

TiggerGTO Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Feb 2006Wed 16-Dec-09 11:40 AM
2252 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: NX2 QUESTION - WHAT AM I DOING WRONG"
In response to Reply # 7

Apex, US

If you want to print your image elsewhere, you need to find out some details from the lab or service that you are planning to use. Most of the places I have used expect a jpg which has been converted to the sRGB color profile, cropped to the appropriate dimensions and saved at highest quality at a particular resolution, usually 300 dpi, but for over-sized prints, this could be smaller.

If you are not using a lab, but say a friend's printer, it really depends on what software is being used to do the final output to the printer. If the printing is being done from another program like Photoshop, it would probably be best to save as a tif to open in Photoshop on the other machine.

Danny
A Nikonian in North Carolina

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #610 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.