Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #6002
View in linear mode

Subject: "View NX2 & P6000 and D2X modes pict controls ??" Previous topic | Next topic
dgillilan Silver Member Nikonian since 15th May 2006Sat 09-Apr-11 09:22 PM
2530 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"View NX2 & P6000 and D2X modes pict controls ??"

Williamsburg, US

Dear P6000 users and View NX2 users,
I noticed right when I purchased my coolpix P6000 that the D2X modes of picture controls were not possible, not an option. I just updated my NX2 View software to the 2.1.2 latest update and still the D2X modes are not there and there is a cryptic note in the release notes about this feature. Has anyone with a P6000 shooting NRW raw mode, figured a way to use the D2X modes of picture control with Nikon software?
I also use Adobe Photoshop CS5 so I'm not extremely upset about this lack in NX2 software, but it is strange that I can use D2X modes on all my other SLRs that I shoot but not my Coolpix. I always shoot raw except when I want a specialized "scene" mode on my Coolpix.
Thanks,
Debra

Visit My Nikonian Gallery: http://www.nikonians-images.com/galleries/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=94067
My Zenfolio Gallery: http://debragillilan.zenfolio.com/

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

Robp Gold Member Nikonian since 23rd Oct 2009Sun 10-Apr-11 12:52 PM
951 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: View NX2 & P6000 and D2X modes pict controls ??"
In response to Reply # 0

Gainesville, US

Debra, I don't have an answer to your question, but I'm curious as to why you use DX2 modes. They are available on my D700 and, therefore, in CNX2, but other selections like Neutral, Portrait, Vivid, etc. appear to me to more nearly approach my expectations of the tweaks. The User's Manual says only that the DX2 modes approximate the same color settings on the D2X cameras, but don't indicate for what use they were intended, like soft for portraits, higher contrast/saturation for dramatic shots, etc.

Rob Puller
My Nikonians gallery

dgillilan Silver Member Nikonian since 15th May 2006Sun 10-Apr-11 08:32 PM
2530 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: View NX2 & P6000 and D2X modes pict controls ??"
In response to Reply # 1

Williamsburg, US

Thanka Rob, the D2X modes in camera are so good that Nikon developed the three modes as picture controls for later cameras. I use a D2X body in my arsenal and like the colors from it(although not as well as the D2HS but no picture controls available for it), so I want to apply those without having to develop my own sets to mimic the D2X.

Hope someone else knows about the P6000 and those pict controls,
Debra

Visit My Nikonian Gallery: http://www.nikonians-images.com/galleries/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=94067

Covey22 Moderator Expert in various fields including aviation photography Awarded for his contributions to the Resources and The Nikonian eZine Charter MemberMon 11-Apr-11 12:22 AM
10651 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: View NX2 & P6000 and D2X modes pict controls ??"
In response to Reply # 2

US

Even though the P6000 was up until recently the flagship Coolpix, it's possible that Nikon didn't intend for the D2 color compatibility modes to be recognized by the camera. This was certainly true with the NEF/NRW arrangement, to prevent cannibalization of the market segments. My recommendation would be to go to the Nikon Support Site and use the Ask Nikon a Question tab. Generally I get good responses through that channel.

"Toodle-loo from Covey22!"

-Armando
Nikonians Team
Nikonians News - Fresh Everyday!

The Covey Blog!

My Plan:

Get out of the car.
Get closer to the subject.
Pick the right mid-tone this time.

See My Nikonians Gallery

dgillilan Silver Member Nikonian since 15th May 2006Mon 11-Apr-11 12:33 AM
#4. "RE: View NX2 & P6000 and D2X modes pict controls ??"
In response to Reply # 3

Williamsburg, US

Good idea, I will do that, Thanks.

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #6002 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.