Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #5960
View in linear mode

Subject: "Downsizing NEF to JPEG for web" Previous topic | Next topic
William Rounds Gold Member Nikonian since 25th Mar 2011Tue 05-Apr-11 04:01 PM
356 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Downsizing NEF to JPEG for web"
Tue 05-Apr-11 04:10 PM by William Rounds

Rambouillet, FR

I'm pretty new to digital processing so this may have been answered many times before. How do I get the best image quality when converting a NEF file to a very small JPEG file for web posting? I use primarily Capture NX2 but I also have purchased DxO.

I guess my question is more related to sequence than anything else. Is it preferable to make any and all modifications to a NEF file first, then save as a small JPEG file? Or should I downsize first and then make changes, proceed with sharpening, etc? Maybe it doesn't make any difference.

Anyway, I notice that while my NEF files look great on my computer screen, but my web sized jpegs generally look awful, so I'm definitely doing something wrong.

I posted 4 photographs under Wildlife Photography, under my name of course William Rounds and perhaps someone with a sharp eye could critique them for me, letting me know how I might be able to obtain better results. Thanks for your input.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Downsizing NEF to JPEG for web
robsb Platinum Member
06th Apr 2011
William Rounds Gold Member
06th Apr 2011
robsb Platinum Member
07th Apr 2011
Len Shepherd Gold Member
07th Apr 2011
BR
10th Apr 2011
ozzy1
26th Apr 2011

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Wed 06-Apr-11 12:52 AM
12817 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#1. "RE: Downsizing NEF to JPEG for web"
In response to Reply # 0

San Jose, US

Do all your processing in the NEF. this way you are workin gin 16 bit and not 8 bit. When you are done convert to JPEG at the highest quality you can considering the downsized dimensions for a JPEG post to Web. I try to keep my download times to less than 1 minute or even less. Since you are changing the size of the image, you should do a final sharpening of the JPEG image. Also make sure your JPEG is convertd to sRGB anything else will looked washed out on the web.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

"Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the
camera"

Retirement is a gift of time - Don't waste it!

William Rounds Gold Member Nikonian since 25th Mar 2011Wed 06-Apr-11 09:42 AM
356 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Downsizing NEF to JPEG for web"
In response to Reply # 1

Rambouillet, FR

Thank you Bob. When you say, "the highest quality you can", what are you referring to?

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Thu 07-Apr-11 02:00 AM
12817 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#3. "RE: Downsizing NEF to JPEG for web"
In response to Reply # 2

San Jose, US

When you are in the batch process that you use to convert your NEF to JPEGnear the bottom of that window you select the file format "JPEG" in this case and then click on the right pointing arrow just below that says "Advanced" and you will open more steps where you can adjust quality and embed the ICC profile. Quality determins how much compression the JPEG will have, the more compression the worse the file will look.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

"Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the
camera"

Retirement is a gift of time - Don't waste it!

Len Shepherd Gold Member Nikonian since 09th Mar 2003Thu 07-Apr-11 06:11 AM
12722 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Downsizing NEF to JPEG for web"
In response to Reply # 0

Yorkshire, GB

Perhaps you should first decide why you want a very small jpeg for web posting.
Unfortunately copyright theft from web pictures is common.
If you have an image where you want to make copyright theft less likely you can post at a very small web size and very low quality so that if any-one tries to steal the file they cannot get a decent 10x8 inch print.
Digressing, with better images I go this route, only making larger files available to people I trust when big prints are requested.
Back to your NEF file, and noting you are new to digital, NEF contains many more colours than can be displayed on monitors costing less than about $2,000.
Mosts monitors also display a limited contrast range - and are based on sRGB colour.
A jpeg by default is sRGB colour.
As mentioned best quality jpeg compresses 8 units of NEF information are compressed into 1 unit - lower jpeg quality has more compression.
Whilst monitors and jpeg prints can display quite good colour; images viewed from prints either using Adobe RGB colour or on an expensive monitor displaying most or all the RGB colours achieve better colour, better shadow and highlight detail, better resolution, and better sharpness - though monitors cannot equal prints for sharpness.
Adobe RGB is intended for the highest quality colour - but colours can look very flat if displayed on most monitors unless first converted to sRGB colours.
As already mentioned it is best to make all corrections - except final sharpening - prior to converting to sRGB. Final sharpening usually looks best if applied at the final image size. If you want multiple sizes and a mix of web display and prints it is best to save the NEF unsharpened and to save as a second sharpened copy for each different image size and format.

Photography is a bit like archery. A technically better camera, lens or arrow may not hit the target as often as it could if the photographer or archer does not practice enough.

Len Shepherd

BR Registered since 17th Nov 2006Sun 10-Apr-11 03:15 PM
542 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Downsizing NEF to JPEG for web"
In response to Reply # 0

Glen Mills, US

I think you are specifically asking about converting to very small JPEG files and I recently discovered something about this process using Capture NX2. For an organization where I volunteer, I routinely provide web photos that are 500 pixels max on a side and 50 KB max file size. I hadn't used NX2 in a while but did so last week. I found it difficult to get 50 KB files that didn't exhibit obvious image degradation.

In other programs - Photoshop, for instance - there is a Save for Web type of option that will strip off all extraneous data from an image. This allows you to specify a fairly small image file size and retain somewhat decent quality as the file contents are made up of just the image data.

In Capture NX2, you have the option to not embed the ICC color profile, but there is no way that I know of to omit the EXIF data. The latter represents a fixed overhead in terms of file size. I noticed last week that when I kept reducing the specified Quality from 70 to 60 to 50 etc. the file size didn't reduce much but the image quality was significantly impacted.

If you need very small image files then I'd suggest using another program that will allow you to strip off all non-image data from the JPEG file.

Barry

ozzy1 Registered since 22nd Mar 2011Tue 26-Apr-11 12:37 PM
90 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Downsizing NEF to JPEG for web"
In response to Reply # 5

AU

I post a lot on th web using Photobucket. To upload without having to re-edit in Photobucket, I use Photoshop to save th picture to a width of about 680 max.

I do all the editing, sharpening, colour adjusting, etc at full size..because you cant see th pic well in th reduced size. But I do it on a JPEG in Photoshop.

I have a couple of pix in th gallery, so you can check out th results.

Works for me

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/Ozzy66/Cockfighting-1.gif

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #5960 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.